002 – Straight Through The Heart
253 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don't know if it's the MCU though.

Ok, don't get mad at me or block me on Twitter or something but,

I never watched an MCU movie.

I KNOW, I KNOW.

In this day and age, it's really rare for someone to not have watched something related to Marvel.

I did watch the first three Spider-Man when they came out.

But then I turned into a monster...

I tried to feel special by not consuming anything mainstream.

It felt good to say "Oh, you never heard about it?" and be like in a secret club.

But then I felt kind of isolated when people kept talking about some Theynus or something and I just watched anime from the 90s and had no one to talk with.

That's not a sad tragic story but I do regret now because I have no idea what's going on in this universe.

When I reincarnated, I freaked out and thought I was going to die like a no-name mob that it isn't even on the screen.

I stopped caring that much after a while, noticing that I can't do anything about it, and also...

I can explore another universe's repertoire of animanga!

It was really fun looking for and noticing the differences between what I remember and what is like here.

Unfortunately, the biggest difference is the lack of one of the biggest and most influential anime of all time.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I almost made it myself.

But my moral code didn't let me do it.

(And also my creativity)

No one should do JoJo other than Araki himself.

Anyway,

I got so into this universe's anime culture that I forgot about the dangers.

Not that I know about them.

I only know a little bit through pop culture osmosis.

Like Hydra in SHIELD and Thanos snapping half of the population to dust.

Even if I half-know these things, what could I do?

I'm just a weeb loser, not a mutant, genius, or bitten by a radioactive spider.

So it's better if I stay home, enjoying my hobby and shitposting online while ignoring the ending of the world.

Not much of a difference from my past life.

This monologue is making me hungry.

I made myself some top-tier homemade instant noodles and went back into my sanctuary to watch a random anime I pulled from my collection while eating.

Sitting in a crisscross applesauce position, I closed my eyes and prayed.

"I want to thank the three gods for this meal

Akira Toriyama,

Masashi Kishimoto,

and Eiichiro Oda.

And also I want to thank my three saints.

Hideki Anno,

Hirohiko Araki,

and Chiaki J. Konaka.

And also thank you, Stan Lee, I guess.

Itadakimasu"

Digging into my heavenly homemade store-bought instant noodles, I started to think.

Maybe I should move from New York to another state, most shit happens here, right?

No, it's impossible.

There's a comic shop here with a big section for manga.

And anime conventions mostly happen here.

Japan? I would look like a gaijin gawking at everything and everyone like "Holy shit they made anime real!"

Also, it would be painful to move into another house with everything I own.

So I'm stuck here.

I turned on my PC and checked my Twitter page.

Looking at me you would probably never guess that I draw cute anime girls for a living.

(Actually, you would probably think that I draw skulls on my alcoholic abusive stepfather's cool car and all I hear is metal)

Well, it's not the same in my past life, because Patreon it's not popular yet, so my Twitter page is more like a portfolio and the real money comes from my webcomic.

In this era, the most common way for an independent artist (or "artist") to make money is by either doing freelance for companies or making a webcomic on your own website with ADs.

It's not an optimal and future-proof option, but I don't think an American company would publish a comic about magical girls or a Japanese company would publish a manga from an American artist.

So I can only hope I don't get irrelevant and get through the trends and changes.

My days for the past few years were spent mostly sleeping, drawing, eating, try not to get into an argument and repeat.

But I also have a secret hobby.

Pushing one of the shelves to the side, I opened a closet virtually invisible to someone who didn't know that there was something behind that shelf.

Pencils, brushes, ink.

Scissors, glue, fabric.

Props, hats, wigs.

They're all for me.

And my... cosplay girlfriend...

She doesn't exist, YET.

I swear to the three anime gods and the three anime saints and Stan Lee, I guess, that one day I'll find my Asuka cosplay girlfriend.

Anyway, let's go back to the stupid magical girls comic.

---

"A ninja has to see underneath the underneath"

That's so true.

While drawing and almost not paying attention to the TV, I felt the ground shaking.

Huh, never felt an earthquake before.

Thankfully I'm the smartest weeb on the planet and earthquake-proofed my shelves.

Glancing at the window for a second, I saw something strange.

"What... Is it today?"

I looked at the sky and saw a portal far away with dots coming out of it.

Looks really far from here so I should be fine.

I don't think Hulk or that giant white centipede it's going to come here and destroy my collection.

Before turning away, I saw a yellow glint in the portal.

Feeling like a crow, I couldn't stop looking at the shiny golden dot getting bigger, going in my direction.

Wait...

Not getting enough time to think, the yellow dot hit right in my heart.

"ACK!"

Falling on top of my ass, I looked at the object to try to take it out.

It's an...

"Arrow?"

Did I just get hit by a stray arrow from Hawkeye?

What a stupid way to die...

*Cough cough*

I tasted blood in my mouth.

I'm really dying, ain't I?

And I don't even have anyone here to have a dramatic final line.

No one to pass my final Hamon.

Halfway through closing my eyes and passing out, accepting my impending death, a blinding light came out of the arrow brightening the entire room.

I felt a light electric shock coming from the arrow and my body filling with energy.

"What the fuck..."

Opening my eyes, I saw that I'm still alive and my chest isn't hurting that much anymore.

I took the arrow out of my chest.

It's an old arrow made out of wood and a chipped golden tip with a golden beetle on top of it.

"Is this..."

The arrow from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

"..."

So, I have a Stand now?

Where is it?

*Scribble scribble*

I looked behind me and I found what looks like a little boy drawing in a small notepad, he has a shoulder bag and a beret.

Looking closely at his body, I could see that he was a moving puppet made out of wood.

"Umm, are you my Stand?"

Turning his head 180 degrees, I saw his emotionless dead eyes and a classic wooden marionette mouth.

"Soiya soya!"

14