Chapter 21 – The Cerulean Isle
34 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some hours later Amara woke disoriented in the dark. The creak of stressed timbers reached her along with faint voices from on deck. A storm was rising. Beside her Rhys shifted, features silvered by a strange crimson glow. Amara blinked sleep from her eyes, then froze. The Hallow Skull sat on the trunk at the bed's foot, blood-dark radiance seeping swiftly to life within its hollows. How?

Rhys murmured wordlessly, drawn from slumber by the eldritch gleam. They watched numbly as the carved skull's power awakened after long lifelessness. Had their shared passion somehow kindled its dormant magic? Amara clutched the rough blankets as her heart pounded fiercely. Here was the true test. Whatever darkness or rapture awaited within the Skull's quickening mystery, she swore to confront it with eyes open this time. No more blind stumbling in the dark.

She rose and donned a simple shift, feeling Rhys's eye hot on her back. He gruffly muttered something about rest as she lifted the unsteady relic with care. But they both knew this was her trial alone. Quietly she carried the Hallow Skull out into the stormy night sea, following her feet more than her mind.

She passed silently through the ghostly crew making sail preparations by lamplight. None barred her way or even glanced up as she climbed dripping to the sterncastle, the Skull burning ever brighter against her breast. Fury lashed the creaking masts and howling rigging. Amara clung to the rail near the roaring helm, breathless more from awe than exertion. Nature's primal chorus called to the quickening power nestled amid her pounding heartbeats.

Trembling, she held out the Hallow Skull before her like an offering, letting wind and spray lash its blazing facets. The ship seemed to fall away. She stood suspended between womb waters and god fire heavens. Then the skull opened its jaws wide, bathing her senses in crimson rapture once more. This time Amara did not resist the cascade of lust and power. But neither would she surrender all reason and control again.

Visions crashed over her of sensuality's sea and stars. Currents of living energy coursed from the skull into her eager body until she thought her nerves might ignite. Yet she remained anchored within the storm. Wonders and terrors painted the sky of her mind in scarlet frescos. But she beheld them clear-eyed now. No blind ecstasy or caution ruled her alone. Only balance.

At last the skull's hypnotic visions faded. Exhausted and exhilarated, Amara fell to her knees upon the rain-slick planks still clutching it fast. Perspective crystallized like clouds parting to blue clarity. However overpowering, in the end the Skull was only carved bone, lifeless alone. Its only power came through her, and any other willing vessel. And she understood fully her own strength and purpose once again.

She caressed the Skull now dark and cold, a teacher and tool, not her master. Tears washed her cheeks, aroma thick in the seaborne wind. An ending, but also a beginning. Amara lifted her gaze to the stars and began to laugh in pure relief. The reckoning was not yet written. Fresh hope kindled in her heart for the trials ahead. But for now, it was enough just to breathe, and to trust once more in her own sight.

The storm passed swiftly, leaving the decks washed clean. Amara walked them with a light step, savouring the salt air's sting. She smiled up at the sentry brooding in the stern shrouds high above. Rhys's stony face softened briefly in return. No words were needed. He too felt the change in her. Together they would see this through, wherever fate blew them next.

Amara spent long hours studying navigational charts with the spectral first mate. The mute wraith was unsettling company, but his weathered knowledge was undeniable. She learned the stars and currents quickly, determined never to lose her bearings again. The sea had much to teach those who respected her moods.

Despite near-sleepless nights, vital energy suffused Amara from her communion with the Hallow Skull. New avenues of possibility beckoned like sunlit waters ahead. But she remained content with the horizon yet before her. Wisdom flourished in the moment, not the distant destinies. And her path stretched clearly to the haven toward which Sea Raven now glided steady and true.

The cries of nesting gulls reached them first on the freshening breeze. Then a rugged grey island comprised of countless terraces came into view. Rhys joined her at the prow as sheer cliffs towered overhead. These were the shores of her homeland of Cerulean Isle, though it had been lifetimes since she walked them. Would that girl still be recognized by those she once loved? Much had changed within and without.

Apprehension twined with anticipation in Amara's breast as they passed into a rocky harbour mouth towards clustered masts and tiled roofs. She had not dared imagine returning here once. Yet here she stood, bearing power to reshape destiny itself in her hempen sack. For good or ill, that story had yet to be written.

Rhys's rough hand found hers, anchoring her to the moment as the pier's coarse cries and foreign birdsong echoed across the waves.

"We've come through fire and storm. Have heart, Amara," he spoke close to her ear. "These are but more roads to walk."

She turned and pulled his weathered face down into a fierce kiss. "We walk them together," she vowed against his lips. Then hand in hand they turned to face the city and all its unanswered questions. Their strange journey was nearing its end. But Amara knew now all quests simply circled back to where they began—within.

 

 

0