Chapter 27 – The Unruly Pelian Isle
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dawn's first roseate fingers were already creeping above the sea. The dispatch must sail with the morning tide if they were to forestall brewing revolt.

Velkan shook off his weariness and strode to relay their father's formal seal and decree to the forces massed anxiously below. Amara hurried to exchange sweat-soaked tunic and practice blade for the Requirements of office. Her hands did not tremble buckling on elegant leather armour beneath deep blue raiment. Doubt had burned away, leaving only crystal purpose.

She swiftly bound up her hair and took up her moonstone staff along with the bag hosting the Hallow Skull. Thus arrayed, she descended with the gathering light toward the ships and the open sea beyond. Gulls cried raucous commentary as scores of mailed soldiers snapped to attention at her approach. Her gaze found Velkan conferring with captains on the quay. But first, she beckoned to Rhys lurking nearby.

She read troubling questions in his rough face when he approached warily. But before he could grouse about her forwardness, she grasped his hands earnestly.

"Forgive any impropriety, my friend. Necessity demanded." She held his eye, willing him to understand. "In sober truth, I cannot lead others without your strength beside me." It was as close as she could come to articulating the still baffling bond between them.

Slow comprehension eased his wounded scowl. He gave her hands a forgiving squeeze. "I'll not deny you anything, Amara. Use me as you will." His gruff vow was truer oath than any courtly poetry. Amara clasped him close heedless of watching eyes. Anchored by his solid presence, she turned to address her waiting followers.

"Soldiers of Cerulean!" Her voice carried clear in the morning stillness. "Remember our peaceable law, but also defend it. Take heart and stand fast!" At her final ringing cry, sun crested the restless sea. A hundred blades saluted in fiery unison, answered by cheers from the garrison lining the walls. Their courage kindled Amara's own. Together they would answer this threat.

The crossing passed swiftly on proud oars manned by her people. Trade galleys made way, hailing the flotilla with a mixture of curiosity and foreboding. Word travelled swifter than their passage. All would know the new princess sailed to test her mettle and that of the fraying realm. Amara stood tall in the lead ship's prow as the jagged grey crown of Pelian grew nearer. Velkan kept watch beside her in easy camaraderie now. And she sensed Rhys pacing the deck restlessly behind her like a prowling hound guarding faithfully against unseen threats.

Nearer loomed the fortress citadel clinging to rocky slopes, but no challenge or envoy sailed out to meet them. Amara's eyes narrowed. She had hoped to parley, but it seemed they must invade by stealth or force. As the galleys sidled up to make hasty anchorage in the lee of a jetty, she turned to Velkan and Rhys. "Ready a shore party. We investigate under the guise of trade envoys from Cerulean."

Velkan's expression warned this tact lacked subtlety, but he turned smartly to relay orders.

Amara gestured Rhys closer. "Will you go among them, my friend? Your skills are suited to this work."

He gave a grudging nod. "I'll tickle out whatever plot's afoot here. But have a care while I'm gone." Fierce protectiveness roughened his tone. Amara clasped his arm.

"I have my brother's sword beside me. Go safely." Impulsively, she stood on tiptoe to brush her lips against his. Then she stepped back, blinking sudden stinging from her eyes. Rhys looked startled, then turned brusquely away to join the outfitted shore party. Amara watched the small boat recede, ignoring the weight that seemed to settle in her breast. Rhys's path diverged from hers for now, but they would reunite ere long if fate allowed. Heart must steady mind. She turned to consult with Velkan on the next steps.

They decided to give Rhys ample time to worm his way into the fortress citadel's confidences before sending her formal envoy. Velkan wore his sword openly but kept his tone honeyed as their delegation was admitted through the sea gates. Amara inclined her head graciously to the thin-faced captain who met them with veiled suspicion.

"Greetings from Cerulean, friends. We come at your ruler's behest, though much remains unclear." She waved a graceful hand. "Might we speak together of mutual benefit?"

The captain hesitated. "Forgive me, lady. The governor is...indisposed. Affairs of state, no doubt." His twitching eyes belied the glib words.

Amara nodded sympathetically. "Pressure of office weighs on all, good sir. Still, perhaps your lieutenant might receive our delegation?" She forced patience into her voice. If Rhys had succeeded, the way ahead should open shortly.

The officer shifted in indecision. Then distant commotion echoed from the upper parapets. Shouting swelled, joined by the unmistakable clash of blades. The captain's pale hand began flying to his sword hilt.

"Remain here!" he snapped to his guards. Then he turned and bolted up the stair toward the sounds of fray.

Amara exchanged a fierce grin with Velkan. Rhys's gambit, whatever it was, had stirred the hive. Now they must act swiftly before the moment unravelled.

"With me!" She led their delegation up stair after stair, hauling her skirts clear when stealth failed. The startled guards offered no real resistance to their headlong pace.

As they mounted the highest battlements, the scene became plain. Rhys and a half dozen Cerulean marines pressed the loyalist defenders back with whirling steel. But the rogue's party was outnumbered threefold. Their surprise gambit was failing.

Amara lifted her moonstone staff on high, letting its aura flare bright as a beacon to hearten her people. Both sides hesitated at this unknown enchantment. In the lull, Amara strode to the parapet edge overlooking the inner bailey thronged with soldiers awaiting orders.

"Warriors of Pelian!" she cried with a voice amplified by magic. "Throw down arms and let reason guide us!"

Confused murmuring rose from below. An officer with a captain's plume shoved through to glare up at her. "By whose authority do you speak, woman?" His tone dripped scorn.

Amara drew herself up proudly. "That of royal blood. I am Amara, heir of Cerulean, and I say your insurrection ends now!" Desperate authority hardened her cry.

The captain's face turned pale, then mottled with fury. He drew his bright sword in challenge. "I recognize no law but strength! Slay this upstart witch!" He barely finished the command before Velkan's thrown dagger took him cleanly in the eye. The officer collapsed in a heap without another sound.

0