Chapter 31 – The Miracle That Struck Overnight
39 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Satisfied, Amara set about quietly gathering sympathizers within the household who could spread invitation to an evening of shared rejuvenation and laudable purpose. She dared not reveal details of the Hallow Skull's role, but subtly conveyed the event's import. People's inherent goodness would guide them if space was made for liberty's light to shine through custom's cracks.

When the sun sank, Amara retired early to attire herself in gossamer silks and rare perfumes sent by her mother, but never daringly worn. Unbound hair fell to accentuate the graceful neckline. For once she would claim the body privilege bestowed upon her, not for vain glory but to enjoin broader union. She murmured a brief prayer, then ventured out to play her part.

Candlelit tables laden with food and drink filled the courtyard where quiet music played, fires crackling merrily in iron braziers. Amara smiled secretly to observe sea captains, maidservants, field hands and even tutorial scribes mingling cheerfully, differences smoothed by wine's social spell. Her gaze found Rhys lurking watchfully under the colonnades but she gave him only a subtle beckon. They would speak later.

As the welcoming feast concluded, Amara rose to weave an innocuous speech of gratitude, unity and hope. None marked her woven strands of magical persuasion planted gently in fertile soil. Then amidst much laughter, she invited all to join in celebrating Pelian's new era of prosperity. Let bygones fade and dance away!

The now merry crowd needed little added encouragement once musicians struck up lively reels. Amara let herself be swept along the rhythms into impromptu circles of stomping feet, clasped hands and remembered joy. Here bodies remembered their souls' lighter purposes and curiosity awakened. The night was ripe for reforming old ways.

So none batted an eye as dancers shed more restrictive garb for loose-flowing fabrics or bare skin. The music wove on as Amara drew close to certain couples whose energy called out in intuitive invitation. With soft words, she guided them toward fulfilling deeper desires that went beyond convention and constraint. Light seeds planted amidst sensual laughter rippled outward, blossoming untended.

Soon the courtyard became a freewheeling fete of caresses, sweat-slick flesh and artless desire beneath the permissive starlight. Spirits soared unfettered, lost to all but momentary pleasure blossoming in the garden of the senses. None marked Amara's subtle orchestrations amidst the throngs caught up in four kinds rapture. But she danced on patiently, weaving bonds waiting to be activated.

Amara glimpsed Rhys aloof against the colonnade looking upon her alluring form. The time had come. Amara broke from the passionate knot and sauntered to him, exulting the feel of air against her skin. No need for words between them now. She took his hand and led him wordlessly toward the prepared garden alcove. Other couples peeled away instinctively in their wake, drawn moth-like into the private hollow, bare feet whispering over cool grass.

The low altar stone within thrummed with latent promise. As one, Amara and Rhys sank down upon the velvet cloth draped across its surface. Hands sought and caressed without hesitation. Their joining became the flame to spark the tinder as others shed any remaining inhibitions. Sighs and urgent sounds wove counterpoint to the drumming pulse of blood through strained flesh. None present now but kindred spirits answering Nature's timeless rhythms.

Climax came upon Amara both gradual and sudden as willing bodies spent themselves unreservedly. In that moment of communal release, she seized the Hallow Skull from where it lay concealed amid the flowers. Lifting it skyward, she channelled the burst of shared sensual energy into a soundless invocation before the last shudders and gasps faded.

The Skull blazed brighter than suns in answer, drinking deep of offered spirit. Amara directed the torrent outwards, visualizing the parched fields and trees bursting anew with life and fecundity. Moments stretched to aeons as the ancient relic feasted. Then with a final searing nova it dimmed, now sated and calm. Gently Amara returned it to its bed of crushed petals.

Dawn's first light found Rhys and Amara resting entwined amid the slumbering forms of those who had unwittingly given so much. Propriety could scandalize in retrospect, but none who participated would ever view themselves or their world quite the same. Restrictions once immutable had dissolved, at least for a few heartbeats of truth.

Amara nuzzled her rogue's bearded throat, savouring his familiar musk. "I pray it worked," she murmured. "The land badly needs rebirth."

"Your power is mastered, never doubt it." Rhys's rough assurance warmed her. "But next time, make the sacrifice less...draining?" His wry tone made her swat his chest playfully before they rose to dress and face the day.

A hasty messenger summoned them back to the hall where Velkan awaited anxiously. "Sister, did you see the fields?" His worried face broke into a smile. "It's a miracle!"

Amara hid her own relief as he continued. "The crops sprang up overnight, trees now heavy with fruit! Plenty for the winter storehouses. How did you manage it?"

Amara glanced at Rhys. "By the grace of unity," she replied honestly. "When all work as one, what is impossible?"

Velkan looked thoughtful. "You give our people hope when they had none. Father was right to trust in you." He hesitated. "I confess, I doubted you as a leader before. But no longer." His admission warmed Amara's heart. She embraced her brother impulsively.

"Now we must keep that hope flourishing."

Just then Governor Gormand entered, puffing excitedly. "My lady, the trade fleet arrives! They are led by Zander, a most cunning merchant whose ships bring grain, ore and tools we badly need before the seasons change. Fortune smiles upon us!"

Amara smiled calmly, smoothing her dress. "Then let us prepare another welcoming feast. Our new friends will find Pelian a changed land."

Together they moved to do so, united in building a new society from scarcity and discord's ashes. Amara sensed the Hallow Skull quiescent at her hip, its restless ambitions sated awhile by their collective will. But the greater quest still awaited. For today, securing this small victory was enough.

That evening's feast saw Temple district and wharf-side residents break bread together, differences tentatively set aside. Governor Gormand was deep in productive talks with trade captains about taxes and supply lines to bolster food reserves. And amidst the convivial throng, Amara spied Velkan eyeing the flaxen-haired daughter of one of the merchants with bashful interest. Trade indeed might open many doors between former rivals.

Amara allowed herself pride at the night's harmonious revelry. Harsh lessons had been learned, but compassion had prevailed over distrust. Fears could be unlearned as easily as taught, given wilful intent. Still, complacency had its own risks. The Hallow Skull had partaken generously of Pelian's vitality. Its creeping influence must be monitored until their true quest resumed.

But that was worry for a later season. Tonight, Amara let herself laugh freely and steal an occasional sip from Rhys's wine as they watched the fruits of moral courage ripen. The rogue still played his cards close, but his heart was hers entirely now. And that was foundation enough for today's simple joys.

The wheel turned on toward gentler fates than past suffering foretold. But evil did not sleep forever. Darker powers yet roused in distant realms. War always returned to claim its bloody tithe if vigilance faltered.

Tonight though was for merriment, not brooding thoughts. Amara leaned contentedly into Rhys's shoulder, smiling as the wine-flushed throng danced in artless delight. Here was balm for the spirit in dark tides. Moments of grace must be seized wherever glimpsed. The Hallow Skull had taught her that much through desire's lens. But its immortal mysteries would await her summons another day.

 

0