Chapter 6: Packages and Rapid Progress
785 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Drew was stunned, he knew what the box was. The box was a compressed armory, they could store items a hundred times their size and compress them into a box the size of one's hand. The value of even the lowest grade compressed armory could cost up to tens of millions of Kalas. This armory had a green core meaning that it was a superior grade armory! A superior grade armory is worth hundreds of billions of Kalas there are only a thousand of them in the galaxy! Heck, the amount of storage in one equates the size of the entire Ozwarth City, which is about 9000 sq km of storage. This made Drew wonder how in the world did his father obtain one. Knowing that it's better not to question such things, Drew scurried over to the box and pressed the green core, which was now the size of a baseball. A holographic screen popped up and asked him: "Which item would you like to take out?" 

Drew touched the holographic screen and scrolled it right. From the looks of it, the armory only had a few things in it. A short sword, a disc-shaped shield, a sniper rifle, a couple of combat manuals, and a dagger. Drew tried to take something out but it felt like something was preventing him from entering so he decided to close the interface. As soon as he did, the box let out another robotic voice. 

"Armory Closing."

The box's orb glowed green once more, rapidly shrinking down back to its original size. Drew picked up the box from the floor and placed it back into its leather pouch. He then moved on to the next item, the silver cuff earring. Taking a closer look at it, he noticed some complex engravings on it which surrounded a small blue core the size of a bead. Drew knew it was some kind of Artifact but it's best if he didn't do anything with it until he reads the letter which is what he did next. The envelope of the letter showed signs of aging, its corners turning a slight yellow color. Delicately ripping the top of the envelope, Drew removed the neatly folded letter from the envelope. Unfolding it slowly, Drew saw that the letter was much shorter than Uncle Winter's.  

 Son, 

You're finally eighteen! We hope you are doing well despite us no longer being in this world. Your mother and I had to deal with some bad guys who wanted to take you away. Well, a lot. This may be sudden but you are not just any normal Avian...

Their letter repeated what Uncle Winter said in his but the only difference was the last paragraph. 

You may have received some items in a package. The first one would be the custom made Superior Grade Armory from your mother's family while the weapons in there are from my travels. The second item is the earring Artifact, it's a symbol of the Winter family and doubles your current Otrio capacity. Your mom made some modifications on it that prevent anyone else from noticing the Otrio being emitted from it unless they're an SSS-Class Genetic Warrior, neat eh. The last two items are the photo album, made by your mother, and my hat. We love you our little Aaron. 

Hugs and Kisses, 

Mom and Dad

Drew, for the first time in his life, began to understand what a family was. No matter how far they are, no matter if they are dead or alive, they will always love you. His family may no longer be alive, but in his heart, he rested a place for them. Folding the letter back into the envelope, Drew place it on the ground. Drew decided, despite it being against both his parents and Uncle Winter's will, he was going to take revenge. He couldn't take revenge on his own mother and father's family as they were already dead but for those who fought to protect them from corrupted powers, he wouldn't let their lives be in vain.

Opening the Buddha box, he found a tube of glowing blue genetic medicine and some paperwork related to his adoption under Ryhard. Without any hesitation, Drew popped open the cap and swallowed the medicine in one swift moment. It tasted disgusting! The slimy sensation of the medicine stuck to his throat and the vomit like taste linger on his taste buds. However, the taste doesn't matter! What matters are the effects that come right after. Five. Four. Three. Two. One! A warm sensation suddenly erupted in Drew's chest. Drew faltered. The sensation went from warm to hot, hot to burning. He was sweating heavily. His breath staggering as he tried to control the burning sensation in his body. His throat was parched like he ran a marathon. His knees buckled. His head throbbed. He gasped for air. Pain. Pain was all he felt in those few moments. 

"Raghhhhh!" He screamed in agony. 

The medicine's effects were almost over. The burning sensation subsided and drew felt like he could breathe once again. Trying to find his balance, Drew suddenly felt a rush of cool energy. It was relaxing. Closing his eyes, he began to indulge in the cool sensation. His tensed up muscles began to relax. He felt as though his senses have become a lot strong. The dripping of water from the leaky faucet, the footsteps coming from the hallway, the sound of bells from the shops below, nothing within a ten-meter radius could escape him. Pressing a button on Uncle Winter's communication device he checked his progress. 

[Name: Drew Li (Real Name: Aaron Night de Winter)

Age: 17 

DOB: July 26th, 0456 IE

Race: Avian (Mix blood: Snowhawk/Nightingale) [Hidden]

Rank: F-Class Genetic Warrior

Otrio: 100 Krasos

Otrio Attribute: Wind/ (Ice [Hidden]) 

Genetic Ability: Aegis, ??? (Unlocks at E-Class) 

Bloodline (Ability (Race Ability)): Shapeshift (Hair Color only), ???] 

"Yes!" Drew jumped with excitement. 

He had finally broken through to F-Class and could now be considered a Genetic Warrior. As Uncle Winter mentioned earlier, his Bloodline (ability) would finally unlock. A Bloodline Ability is different than a Genetic Ability. While a Genetic Ability can appear in any race, a Bloodline Ability can only awaken in individuals who are a specific race. For instance, Shapeshifting is a Bloodline Ability specific to Avians like Snowhawks and Nightingales. However, Nightingale Shapeshifting is more specific than Snowhawks as Snowhawks can only shapeshift from human to hawk, in which their appearances are default, while Nightengales can change their hair, eye, skin color, and height. 

On top of awakening his Bloodline Ability, Drew also awakened his Otrio Attribute. There are seven Otrio Attributes: Fire, Ice, Water, Wind, Earth, Life, Light, and Dark the strongest in power being Fire and the weakest being Wind. All Genetic Warriors awaken at least one Otrio Attribute. Drew had awakened two which puts him above average but why was ice [Hidden]? Could it possibly be for the same reason that his race was hidden? To protect something or someone from coming after him? Whatever that was, he would only find out later down the line. 

Nevertheless, Drew was elated. Now that the amount of Otrio in him has double, Drew could cast Aegis without any setbacks. Before he became an F-Class Genetic Warrior, Drew could only cast an Aegis that could last two seconds before shattering upon contact like glass. Now, how long could he cast it without it shattering? Well, he could only found out if he tried. Drew stuck out his arm and closed his eyes. Taking a deep breath, he began to imagine his core, his newly formed core that was radiating with Otrio. He pictured the flow of it, like water, it flowed through his veins from his chest through his arm to his fingertips, he could feel every Kraso of Otrio. It was ready. 

"[Aegis]!"

Pronouncing each syllable with authority, Drew felt the green wind Otrio particles gathering around him at a faster rate. The Otrio particles began to clump and spread. With Drew's call, they followed his will, spiraling into a green vortex. Soon a panel the size of a full-length mirror created from wind Otrio particles was erected. Time: 3 seconds. Drew became ecstatic. 

"Yes! It only took half the time and it doubles in size!" 

Glancing at the pannel, he knew he created a successful [Aegis]. Previously, it would take him six seconds to cast [Aegis] and that [Aegis] would be only half the size. Now, he could easily double the size and reduce the casting time by half. 

"Now," he began to mutter, "it's time to see what Subsidiary Ability I've awakened." 

A Subsidiary Ability, is an ability within an ability. In short, a Subsidiary Ability is a characteristic within an Ability. When someone awakens an Ability, there are characteristics that come along with that ability but those characteristics are only awakened when once reaches a certain Otrio capacity. This certain capacity of Otrio is the low, middle, and high ranks within each level of Otrio checkpoint. An Otrio checkpoint is the number of Krasos one must have in order to be considered a certain Class. For instance, Drew is currently considered a Low F-Class Genetic Warrior since he has 100 Krasos of Otrio meaning that he can awaken one Subsidiary Ability of [Aegis] now, whether it be an increase in defense or mobility, it varies. Once he awakens his first Subsidiary Ability, he won't be able to awaken another on till he becomes a Mid F-Class Genetic Warrior which requires him to have 250 Krasos of Otrio.    

Drew attempted to make the shield thicker. That failed. Next, he attempted to expand and reduce the size of the shield. That failed as well. Then, he tried to move the shield away from his body and back a few inches. That worked. It had been half a minute. Deactivating [Aegis] Drew checked the holographic interface. He noticed that the 'Genetic Ability' section had changed. Right under [Aegis], there was a 'Subsidiary Ability' category and under that, a new line had appeared.

[Mobility]: You can move [Aegis] away from you. The range is about 5 meters. 

Drew was amazed at the efficiency of the program.

"The program Uncle Winter installed sure is convenient."

Looking at his data, Drew also noticed his [Otrio] number has gone down. It was 60. Drew was pleased.

"So it takes 10 Krasos of Otrio for me to create [Aegis] and 30 to maintain is for 30 seconds meaning that for each second I leave the shield up, it'll cost me one Kraso. Not bad."

In the midst of admiring his progress, Drew heard a knock on his door. Suddenly, a male voice could be heard from the other side. Drew recognized it right away. It was John. Drew hurridly shoved everything on the floor into his closet then opened the door. There was John wearing his spotless Security Uniform and in his hand was a box. Another box. Drew laughed. 

"I've been getting a lot of packages today." 

"What's the occasion?" John asked. 

"Just some stuff from Winter's will." 

"I see, " John said not digging into the matter any further, "as promised, here is the package that Star promised to compensate you with."

John handed the package to Drew. It was very light. 

"In there, there are some basic Combat Art manuals, to help you prepare for the entrance exam in under half a year, and a high ranking gene regiment. I hope to see you at Star. There may be a chance that I'll be your teacher."  

"Will do!" Drew replied, bowing to John in thanks. 

John put out his hand. 

"Then, I'll see you later kid." 

Drew smiled and shook his hand in return.  

"Alright." 

Both men parted their own ways. 

Drew placed down the package on the ground. Opening it, Drew found a tube of high ranking medicine and seven booklets. Removing the booklets from the box, Drew noticed that one of them was a manual on how to reduce the side effects of gene medicine absorption while absorbing the most amount of Otrio from it. This was exactly what he needed. Flipping open the booklet, Drew noticed that the technique was similar to the meditation poses in yoga. Once more, Drew popped off the cap from the tube and swallowed the medicine in one swift gulp. Sitting on the floor cross-legged, Drew closed his eyes and imagined his Otrio core as the effects of the medicine began to heat up his chest. Now that his senses were a lot sharper, he could finally see the color of his core, a light green color with a speck of blue in the center while an infinite black space surrounding it. Drew began to circulate the Otrio in his core, gathering the energy from the medicine to it like a magnet. A vortex of green and blue Otrio particles swirled. It was growing. His core began to grow. The vortex grew bigger and bigger as the heat in Drew's chest began to subside. As it subsided, Drew felt his senses growing stronger. The sound of bees buzzing. The chatter of people from the streets below. The honking of cars a block over. The smell of greasy street food. All of it. It was in his grasps yet not. Suddenly, a burst of Otrio erupted inside him. His core had condensed and was now the size of a golf ball, the vibrant green exterior masking the blue interior. He had recovered the original energy he used up and broken through to Mid-F Rank! 

Opening his eyes, Drew took a look at the clock. It was five. He had been in this meditative state for three hours and absorbed triple the amount of medicine than the first time. He felt refreshed, the power flowing through his body could be considered river instead of a stream. Once more, he opened the holographic window on his communication device and saw a change in his Otrio. From the measly 50 Krasos a few hours ago to 250 Krasos, Drew had an increase of 200 Krasos and two Classes. If anyone knew this, they would call Drew a genius. Unfortunately, he was only able to do it because of his low Otrio capacity and high ranking genetic medicines. With no time to wait, Drew began to experiment with [Aegis] to figure out his second Subsidiary Ability and any improvements to his first one. 

Activating [Aegis] he realized that the casting time had gone down to two seconds. That's a whole second faster than last time. The casting cost even went down to five Krasos and he noticed that every second he left [Aegis] his Otrio consumption per second was 0.5 Krasos. No wonder why a Mid-F Class Genetic Warrior could crush a Low F-Class Genetic Warrior like an ant. The gap in power was just too large. Continuing, Drew began by moving [Aegis] using [Mobility] the range had extended to 10 meters. Something else he noticed that he hadn't previously was that the speed at which he could move it was around 50 kph. Next, he tried changing the size, it worked! He could now shrink it to the size of an index card and expand it to its full-length mirror size. As a result, he could reduce the casting cost of [Aegis] meaning that he could use it more. Drew checked his window and noticed that a new line had been added to the 'Subsidiary Ability' category. 

[Size Change] You can change the size of Aegis from 20cm to 200cm.

Grabbing a small rubber ball from his coffee table, Drew oriented [Aegis] around and placed the ball on it like it was a platform. The ball did not move. Then, Drew moved the platform up and down at top speed, the ball flew up, bounced off the ceiling violently, and hit the lamp. It worked. Next, Drew expanded the [Aegis] and stepped on it. It worked. It didn't shatter. Then, he tried moving the platform around while he stood on it. It worked. It was almost like he was riding a hoverboard. After a few moments, he stepped off of [Aegis] and dispelled it. Drew didn't know what to say except, why was [Aegis] classified as an F-Class Ability? It certainly seemed more powerful than that. 

Now that he's broken through to F-Class, it was time to put in his letter of resignation and head of to Uncle Ryhard's.              

  

Let the real story begin!

 

 

 

 

16