Chapter 31: Clarification
271 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days became even more hectic for Drew. Because Drew had stunned Senior Neilson with his ability to act so naturally when gathering information on Houndstern, Senior Neilson began to question his own existence, wondering where the heck he had spent the nearly fifty years of his life. After that, Senior Neilson took the liberty of assigning Drew more assignments over the following days which physically and mentally drained him to the point where he ended up nearly falling asleep in class a few times. Top it off with Gerald's intense training, Drew felt as if he had no time to breathe. However, he didn't regret this one bit since he was learning new skills that he probably wouldn't have learned in the Academy nor his lifetime. 

It was now Thursday. Drew swiftly made his way over to the Tavern where Gerald was awaiting his arrival in the training room. This time, Gerald was standing in front of the boxing ring with piles of books situated adjacent to him. 

"What are these?" Drew asked as he placed his backpack near the doorway. 

Gerald turned around, picking up one of the books from the piles, flipping its pages quickly before shutting it close with a resounding snap. 

"These are various Combat Manuals I've managed to save before the Winter and Night Estates collapsed. There are a total of five hundred here." 

"That's a lot. I'm impressed with how you even saved this many." Drew said taking off his uniform blazer. "So what's on today's agenda? Swordplay? Etiquette? Alchemy?" 

Gerald laughed placing down the book he was holding back in its original pile.

"None of that. I'm giving you a break today. Instead, I want to clear up a few things that I didn't do earlier."  

"Such as..." 

"Such as your Compressed Armory, your Wings, and your bloodline. Which would you like to hear about first?" 

"I'll listen to whatever you want to talk about first." Drew gestured telling Gerald to go on. 

"Very well, Young Master. We'll start with the Compressed Armory. As you know, the armory in your possession is a Superior Grade Armory. This armory was given to your father for his achievements on the battlefield but your father hardly used it, however, he did store a few things inside of it including some weapons and a couple of Combat Manuals. I assume you have probably attempted to take out some of the weapons." 

This was true. Over the past six months he was training for the Team Exam, Drew had tried to remove the contents from the armory but he couldn't. It was as if some invisible force was preventing him from doing so. Drew wasn't quite sure what it was but he had a hunch that he needs to get stronger before he could have access to them.  

"Yeah, I have but I couldn't. Is it because I need to be stronger?" 

Gerald clapped his hands together. 

"Right on the mark, Young Master." He applauded. "The armory prevents you from taking out anything until you reach C-Rank. It's a mechanism that the previous Master added onto the armory before he passed away." 

Drew wanted to cough out blood so badly. Nothing could be accessed until he achieved C-Rank because C-Rank was the 'turning point' where an ordinary Genetic Warrior finally sets forth on his path to being a full-fledge Genetic Warrior. 

"Why are things playing out this way!?" Drew raged feeling as if he'd gotten a brain aneurysm. 

"Hoho," Gerald chuckled putting his hand over his mouth. "When I was your age I said the exact same thing. Don't worry, you'll understand in due time, Young Master." 

"Okay, forget about that what about my Wings?" Drew continued trying to subdue his anger. 

"Since you've unlocked your Snowhawk bloodline and have access to your Wings, the Wings will act as an amplifier to your current Abilities." 

"By how much?" 

"At your stage, it will increase your power by 1.25 times. As you developed your Wings, your power will also increase but that's not all. This power also transfers over to your Nightengale form just like all your other Abilities. Although you don't have access to your Wings in Nightengale form, you still have access to the power contained within them which is rather useful. I'm sure you've already noticed this during your negotiation battles at the Borealis." 

"In fact, I have," Drew replied. "During my battle against Uenkram, I felt as though my body had grown lighter and more powerful. At first, I thought it was just the power I've obtained from breaking through into E-Rank or stabilizing my Otrio but to think it was a combination of those and my Wings, now it makes sense why I was able to defeat him so easily. Now my bloodline..." 

"Besides being mixed blood, your bloodline has another thing special to it." Gerald resumed pushing his glasses up the bridge of his pointy nose. "You see when you switch from your Nightengale to Snowhawk forms, I found that your Nightengale genes 'turn off' and become untraceable through DNA tests, of course, your probably aware of this through observation. Instead, your 'Snowhawk' genes turn on while concealing your Nightengale genes. The same goes for when your switching from Snowhawk to Nightengale genes. However, although this may apply to your genes, this does not apply to your Abilities as you are already aware you can use them freely. It's quite strange so I did some research to see if there were any similar cases amongst mixed blooded Avains and other races." 

"What were the results?" 

"Shockingly, there were no cases like that so the only plausible answer I can come up with is that your DNA contains some sort of mutation which creates this mechanism. I'm not exactly sure how it happened as both the Master and the Mistress had perfectly normal DNA sequences and were perfectly healthy but from what I can infer, this mutation seems to not be detrimental to you. Instead, it's an advantage-" 

"So let me get this straight," Drew interrupted pressing his forefingers against his temples. "You are saying that I have a mutation in my DNA that allows me to conceal my Snowhawk or Nightengale genes depending on which form I take on and that when I do, one set of genes would turn off and become untraceable similar to the piece of wood in my regiment. I knew about the first part but not the second..." 

"Exactly, Young Master. Speaking about it your regiment...have you decided on a name for it?" 

"The public is sure impatient." Drew scoffed. 

"Well, have you thought of a name?" Gerald pressed on waiting for an answer, excitement evident in his eyes. 

"Hold your horses, Gerald. I have decided on a name." 

"What is it?" 

Drew smiled at him before giving him a response. The name of this regiment would resound through the universe forever. 

"First Snow." 

Gerald's eyes widened. The name was perfect. It signified the debut of Drew's very first regiment and the beginning of the storm that would be coming to Ozwarth. It was created in the midst of Ozwarth's winter where the snow-covered the city streets where one could see their breath. It would signify, the beginning of Mr.Snow, no, Drew's legend within the Alchemy Circles. 

"It has a nice ring to it. Let's send a message over to our lovely chairman." 

Drew nodded with satisfaction.

"Will do. I'll leave you in charge of managing the media, Gerald." 

"Very well, it shall be done in a minute." 

 >>>

Ten minutes later at the Heartman Foundation, a female worker bursts through the doors of Mr. Heartman's office. Mr. Heartman, a young man in his mid-twenties with sharp features, had his hands folded behind his back. His eyes focused out the glass of his top-floor office that stood ten stories higher than the Ozwarth Medical Facility just a few blocks away and across from the newly constructed Obelisk building would open later that year. The building itself, half-constructed, was already higher than the Heartman Foundation and this made Mr. Heartman cringe, his eyes narrowing, hands clenched even tighter, fingernails digging into his flesh, as the steel bars were put in place to create next level of the Obelisk. He couldn't stand things that were above his, it irked him. 

The female worker knocked on the glass door lightly with the back of her dainty hand, attempting not to irritate him as he watched the construction of the Obelisk take place in real-time, she knew he was not satisfied. 

"Mr. Heartman," She called holding a tablet in her arms, trembling with fear as she looked down at the article that had displayed on it. She knew he was not going to like it but decided to tell him anyway since he was going to find out sooner or later. “The Ozwarth Medical Facility has released the name of Mr. Snow’s regiment. It’s called ‘First Snow’ and its name has taken over your ‘Morning Dew’ by 15 percent on the Alchemy Circle polls.” 

A vein popped out of Mr. Heartman’s forehead. It was rather unsightly as his handsome face contorted into one of anger and irritation. Just hearing that name pissed him off. It was disgusting. Furthermore, in just mere minutes, Mr. Snow had his regiment’s name take over his, which has been standing at the top of the Alchemy Circle's polls for the past few years by a landslide. This made his hate for 'Mr. Snow' grow even stronger. 

No longer able to contain his anger, Mr. Heartman shattered the glass in front of him with his bare fist. The thousand of glass shards scattering throughout the cold air that he felt passing through the strands of his brown hair. He bit down on his lip hard, his canine piercing the thin skin causing a small stream of blood to trail down it. His blood went cold. His eyes went bloodshot. More veins began to pop out of his forehead as the glass shards fell down to the street level many meters below, a deafening crash could be heard. The screams of people pierced his ears as Heartman tried to calm himself down. His breath could be seen as he tried supporting his body against the intact glass panel adjacent to the shattered one, his fine leather shoes squeaking against the polished tile floor crunching some residual glass particles under it. 

The female employee was petrified. Her body froze in place the moment she witnessed Mr. Heartman shatter the glass. Her tablet had fallen to the floor, the screen of it became a black and white static. "Mr...Heartman?" She called. 

"God fucking dammit!" He shouted hitting his fist against the other glass panel which was separated by a steel beam. 

The female employee stumbled backward, losing her balance causing one of her heels to break resulting in her twisting her ankle. She had fallen onto the cold tile, her tight-fitting skirt had ripped at the hem but not enough to see her undergarments. Her glasses had fallen off her face and everything became a blurry mess. She couldn't move nor see a thing.

"Why? Why does everything have to be ruined by Mr. Snow?!" He panted slamming his fist against the glass once more, a crack had begun to form. This was not the first time Mr. Heartman had thrown a temper tantrum in the office. Every time he had one, a glass panel or two would shatter and have to be replaced. The number of times the glass panels had to be replaced on the floor could not be counted with one's fingers nor toes. It was that many. Thus, sometimes, one might expect rain with chances of glass shards falling from the sky. There were even times innocent bystanders have been sent to the hospital because of it. 

"Why does some random no named Alchemist have to come in and take what is MINE?! MY TITLES, MY ACHIEVEMENTS, MY POPULARITY! HE'S COVERING MY SPOTLIGHT IN HIS SNOW!" 

The female employee was at a loss for words. Once Mr. Heartman got into this state, it was impossible to stop him. How was it even possible that a Berserker with a short fuse like him become the best Alchemist in the Alchemy Circles? It was unbelievable. This hot-tempered man child was the top Alchemist. His perfect image conveyed through various news articles over the internet had been destroyed. How laughable. 

"You!" He spat glancing over to the female employee with scary eyes that made sweat run down the back of her neck. "Track all of Mr. Snow's activities. Don't let a single one slip past me! " 

"Yeees." She chittered trying to regain her stance. She had to get out of this hellhole of an office as soon a possible. In all of her six years of experience, she had never seen a chairman as hot-blooded and cranky as him. Taking off her other heel, she pushed open the door behind her just enough so she could slip away not forgetting her tablet that had fallen on to the ground. 

As she scampered away, Mr. Heartman took a seat down on his revolving office chair. The pendulum sitting on it was swinging faster, imitating his heartbeat. He grits his teeth hard, pulling his hair as he tried to gather his thoughts. That failed. 

"Axel Snow..." He hissed under his breath. "Just you wait. Just you wait..." 

>>> 

"I didn't think my regiments name would take first place on the Alchemy Circle's polls! It even surpassed the 'Morning Dew'!" Drew exclaimed as he watched the numbers next to the regiment's name climb the poll at an astonishing rate. 

"Hoho," Gerald laughed. "It's truly a surprise. However, Young Master, I think you might have just become enemies with half the Alchemy Circle. " 

Gerald shared his screen with Drew as read some of the hate comments from other Alchemists who were criticizing Drew's achievement.

"It's just a fluke! He can't possibly make this again." One commenter said. 

"Mr. Snow, you coward. Come out and sell another one of your 'Miracle Regiments'." Another commenter taunted. 

"If you are a true Alchemist then sell another one of your regiments!" 

"They're all idiots." Drew snorted. These foolish people didn't know a thing. 

"How shall we respond, Young Master?" Gerald asked looking at Drew who had instantly regained his composure. 

"We can easily make another one of these regiments so let's make another one and sell it at the Ozwarth Auction house in a week. If we want to silence these mad lads we might as well do it big. Yes, there will still be haters, those that side with prominent Alchemists like Heartman, but at least we can prove to the public that the regiment's creation was not just a fluke."

Gerald chuckled. This Young Master knew what he was thinking. 

"Great minds think alike. Very well, shall I post an announcement from your account?"

A smile curled on to Drew's face. 

"I'll leave that up to your jurisdiction but I personally believe we should reel them in with the suspense. Hook. Line. And Sinker." 

Late Update and short chapter this time. As I said in my announcement, I was on vacation and I just got back so my update schedule will be back to normal now. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Next episode we'll be seeing more of our lovely group of six and their progress. The chapter will be around 3000-4000 words. I'm currently getting a whole batch of art for Heir de Winter (On my Instagram @ddtstudios) ready so I will have a mass update coming up soon for that. See you all later.

 

 

6