Chapter 33: Passing Days
307 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the middle of the week, Mr. Halford sent the results of the soap to Sylvia saying that it could be considered on par with those bought from the convenience stores. However, he did say that if they were to improve the product, they could add some skincare related effects. Sylvia was already one step ahead of him. With the help of Drew, they managed to produce an extract that could do just that. Luckily one didn't necessarily need to know Alchemy to create it as the ingredients could be found literally anywhere. Okay, well in any Alchemy story or second-hand medicine shop. Drew managed to teach Sylvia the recipe which she picked up rather quickly then gave to Ariam Miscellaneous Products and Processing to replicate. Of course, this costs a few hundred Kalas which made Sylvia cringe a little considering her tight budget but it was all worth it.  

"Ah, five hundred more Kalas went down the toilet!" Sylvia screamed in a defeated tone as she headed back to the Station with Drew. 

Drew laughed. 

"For a Princess, I would think this amount would be nothing." 

"I'm broke as hell Drew!" Sylvia complained. "Remember, I'm not from a super-wealthy family. Man, to think I would have to spend money to make money..."

"That's just how business works." Drew chuckled. 

Sylvia scoffed, "What do you know?" 

"Not much." He shrugged. "Isn't it just common sense?" 

Sylvia sighed she couldn't refute his statement. "You win." 

"I thought so." Drew cocked a grin. "But that doesn't seem to be the only thing weighing on your mind." 

Sylvia tilted her head, placing her hands in her pocket before going deep into thought. 

"No," She began. "What's really on my mind is that man from the slums, Magnus Halford. Why does his name seem so familiar?" 

"Well, his name is rather common so there's no surprise if there was someone famous with the same name." 

"I'm pretty sure there was but I can't seem to put my finger on it," Sylvia said with a hint of frustration. 

Drew tilted his head, "There are a ton of big shots in the galaxy. One can't simply remember all of them." 

"That's true. Anyhow, thank's for accompanying me today." 

Drew smiled. "No problem. I had nothing to do today."

"Now that I think of it, everyone is always busy. Elias works at a restaurant right after class. Wan is always helping out clubs on campus. Rider shuts himself in the dorms studying. Brix helps out her family's dojo. I'm working on my project. I'm not exactly sure what you do, you keep rather quiet about your own business." 

For a moment, Drew panicked until Sylvia followed up with: "I won't dig into it. I understand if it's some private matter." 

"Yeah..." Drew trailed. "I'd rather not talk about it but don't worry, it's nothing bad. It's just about my family... I'm an orphan after all." 

"I see. " Sylvia nodded. "It's a sensitive topic. Take your time. Whenever you feel comfortable, you can talk about it. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to handle it." 

"I will. Now's not the time." Drew muttered under his breath as he glanced down at the snow-covered ground. It was way too soon for Drew to expose himself and what he was doing. It would only be after he reaches C-Rank where he would feel comfortable doing so. By that time, he would have already grown stronger and built many connections which could guarantee his safety but for now, it was too dangerous as he wasn't exactly in the clear yet. 

"Elias was right. No one can seem to understand what's going on in that head of yours." Sylvia said kicking a clump of snow across the ground. 

"What can I say?" Drew shrugged. "I've been like that ever since I was young." 

"It's a good thing, in some aspects but sometimes, you should talk to people you trust. You can't shoulder the burden all on your own." 

Those last words lingered in Drew's mind for a few seconds. "I'll take note of that. As you said earlier, I should talk about it when I feel more comfortable."  

>>>

It was the day before the auction. Gerald had left to deliver the regiment to the Auction House while Drew decided to spend the afternoon reviewing the auction catalog sent to him along with his VIP ticket. Being the hottest topic in the Alchemy Circles and the newest tycoon on planet Kraus many companies were jumping on this opportunity to ally themselves with Drew in hopes to increase their reputation and power. The Ozwarth Auction House was the first of them, gifting Drew a VIP ticket and Platnium membership right off the bat even though he hadn't purchased anything from their auctions. The VIP ticket granted him early access to the latest auction catalog and guest list while the Platinum membership gave him a forty percent discount on any items purchased on the day of the auction from the house as well as the privilege to reserve and purchase one item in advance for its initial bid price. 

As Drew scrolled through the catalog, he found an item that had caught his eye, a light-blue marble. Reading the description, Drew found the marble to be a Snowstone Core. There were many types of Cores in this world. Cores can be found in any living organism but they can also be found in regions where Otrio concentrations are extremely dense. The Snowstone Core was one of them. According to the description, the Core had formed over hundreds of years in Xolk's Northern Arctic Pole at the peak of the Minervous Mountain, the tallest mounted in the Northern Arctic Pole, gathering the surrounding Otrio to create this powerful marble. The Core is said to have the property of boosting the power an Ice-type Ability and is considered a priceless resource amongst Ice Ability users. If one was lucky, the Core could potentially increase the power of the Ability by two times but the chances of that occurring were one in ten thousand. This was the kind of item, regardless of the power increase, Drew needed to strengthen his [Ice Manipulation] he had to get his hands on it. 

Fortunately for Drew, no other Platinum membership holders had purchased the item and the price could be considered pretty low. Approximately 70 Million Kalas. In the past, this number would've been considered astronomical but things were different. Drew had his miracle regiment 'First Snow', which had never been seen in the market until now, and each regiment could be sold for 500 Million Kalas minimum. 70 Million Kalas for Drew was the same as taking out 70 Kalas. He was definitely not short on money. Additionally, Drew could predict that he could make an additional hundred or two hundred Million Kalas off of 'First Snow', deducting tax, from this auction knowing that many people with deep pockets would vie for this regiment for their sons or daughters. No matter what, he would make a profit since the actual cost of the regiment didn't exceed a thousand plus, the secret of his regiment was almost impossible to figure out unless the person was there with Drew when the regiment was created. 

Without hesitation, Drew had used his Platinum membership to purchase the Snowstone Core watching as 70 million Kalas deduct from his account. Even though this pained Drew's heart a little, since he's never spent this much money in his lifetime, he felt the 70 million was worth the investment. Confirming his purchase, Drew had received a notification from the auction house saying that he could pick up the item on the day of the auction before the holographic screen returned him to the catalog where he could continue browsing for items.  

Suddenly, the garage opened and Gerald returned in the well-polished Rolls Royce that didn't even have a speck of dirt on its body nor its tires. 

"I have delivered the regiment," Gerald announced as he emerged from the vehicle with a sort of grace that seemed unnatural. "Have you find any items you desire to obtain." 

"I have. It's a Snowstone Core." Drew replied showing Gerald his confirmed purchase. 

"I see the Young Master has already bought it. You've made a good investment."  

"I have. Unfortunately, none of the other items have caught my attention. Most of them are just luxury goods such as jadeite or amber. There are some herbs but I won't invest in those until the future. For now, the main objective is to sell the regiment." 

"While you're at it. How about becoming acquainted with some of the prominent businessmen there? This can serve as a good way to strengthen your bonds within the Ozwarth's business circle." Gerald suggested as he poured himself a cup of piping hot tea. 

"I will. I actually have a few people in mind." Drew smiled skimming through the guest list before stopping at a couple of names.  

"I understand." Gerald bowed placing down his cup of tea. "Shall I make the necessary preparations for tomorrow's endeavor?" 

"Please do. I just hope it's not in another trunk." 

"Unfortunately, it is." Gerald chuckled pulling out another trunk from the ring. Gerald had a terrible obsession with putting things into trunks. But in all seriousness, where the hell does he get all of them from?!

"Shit." 

>>>

The next day, Drew had left the dorms early and headed straight for the Tavern. It was the weekend so everyone was sleeping in or doing their own thing so it wasn't unexpected for Drew to leave early in the morning. At the Tavern, Gerald had left a trunk open with the outfit that Drew had worn previously as Mr. Snow. It was a shame he had to go through this painful process every time he wanted to change his identity. Unfortunately, his [Shapshift] Ability hadn't reached a high enough level yet as it still consumed way too much Otrio which Drew couldn't afford at his current level. He could only wait until he got stronger before he wouldn't have to worry about the Otrio cost. 

Brushing back his hair with gel, Drew took a look at himself in the mirror, drawing himself into a trance as he placed a wet hand onto the mirror. The water droplets on it trickling down the mirror creating a blurred view of his face. He felt as though he had begun to forget who he was. Was he Drew Li? Axel Snow? Dealer 3690? Aaron Knight de Winter? All of them were him but weren't him. Who was he exactly? A student at Star Military Academy? A genius Alchemist? The top Dealer at the Borealis? The son of two prominent families from Xolk? Drew wasn't sure. All of these identities were him but not the 'true him'. He was faceless. 

"Young Master," Gerald called snapping Drew out of his trance. "It's almost time to leave." 

Drew blinked a couple of times, returning his consciousness back to the real world. This was no time to dwell on this matter. What was important was this auction. 

"I'll be there in a few minutes," Drew replied as he adjusted his necktie. 

"In the meantime, I shall prepare the car." 

"Alright." Drew nodded, drawing a mole under his eye with a cosmetic pen before grabbing his long white coat as he made his way to the speak black Rolls Royce. It was almost showtime.

"After you, Young Master." Gerald gestured opening the car door for Drew. 

"Thank you." Drew smiled as he stepped inside its luxurious body, adjusting himself comfortably to the leather seat as he fastened his seatbelt while Gerald shut the door before sitting himself in the driver's seat. This Rolls Royce was inspired after the classic Rolls Royce from six thousand years ago but with some upgrades. It retained a similar interior as one, giving the vehicle a rich traditional feeling to it but most of the tech implemented into it was holographic and could sync with one's communication device. It was a classy combination of tradition and modern. Suitable for Mr. Snow. 

With the press of a button and the release of a break, the Rolls Royce was on its way to the Ozwarth Auction House.  

>>>

At the auction house, rows of paparazzi and hungry new reporters stood behind belt barriers in the biting cold that were heavily monitored by big burly men in suits, each with a plasma handgun at their hips, their hands folded behind their backs, and earpieces in their ear. The bright flashes behind them trying to get the best shots to today's guests. Luxurious cars pulled into the Auction House horseshoe one by one. Every time, there was always a shout or a flash of that person's name. There were many prominent figures at the auction house, more than usual all because of one regiment created by one man, the 'First Snow' created by Axel Snow. Not only was the regiment was going to be sold at the auction house but the creator himself was coming as a VIP. This was a huge scoop! The newest tycoon of Ozwarth was going to be there today? Who wouldn't want to hear that story? Axel Snow was today's guest of honor. 

"When will Snow arrive?" One of the reporters whined rubbing his hands together to warm himself up. 

"Not sure." His colleague sighed as he tossed around a heat pack like a hot potato, letting his camera flop around his body. "But when he does, we've got to get first dibs." 

"Ha," The other reporter spat. "Do you see how many reporters and paparazzi are here today? Every news station on Kraus is here to get the first bit of news on Snow! We've got some really tense competition here-" 

But before the reporter could finish speaking, a sleek black Rolls Royce had pulled into the horseshoe. A good looking old man emerged from the driver's seat in elegant butler attire, his black tailcoat fluttering in the wind as he made his way over to the driver-side. Pulling open the door with his silk-gloved hand, the butler mad way for a figure emerged from the vehicle. The figure wore a standard black suit with a long white coat that gave him a sort of elegance. His snow blue hair had been pulled back to reveal his forehead. His eyes chilling everyone's body to the bone if they stared in them for long enough. A small mole rested under his right eye but it did not ruin his handsome features, instead, it made them stand out even more. This was the man who had caused a storm in Ozwarth in the midst of winter, Axel Snow. This man, who appeared from thin air, was the very one who had become a tycoon overnight, sweeping the public off their feet with his appearance. This was Axel Snow. 

The flashes of cameras grew even brighter than before as Snow walked along the velvet carpet. Every his breath he took, the air turned to snow. Every step he took, the crowd froze. Any move he made, his frosty eyes had locked onto him. No one wanted to miss this chance!

"I can't get used to this," Drew spoke loud enough so only Gerald could hear while retaining his elegant, cold appearance.

"If anyone else heard that, it could ruin your image." Gerald chuckled as the doorman pushed open the doors for Drew and Gerald to enter shutting off the paparazzi and reporters from the lavish event. 

"Ah, I now understand why celebrities don't have it easy," Drew said as he observed the Auction House's main hall a large circular room with two staircases that ran up to the second floor. Rows of hors d'oeuvres ranging from mini satay skewers to different cheeses and macaroons lined long tables covered in a white table cloth that spanned from one end of the room to the other. Surrounding the hall, cases of priceless objects: gems, regiments, weapons, even household weapons, were displayed in their full, glorious, splendor grabbing the attention of many of the people attending today. But this magnificent scene contradicted with the atmosphere, it was heavy. People were dressed in sharp suits and elegant dresses with most of them being from the upper echelons. Actors. Actresses. Businessmen. Businesswomen. Genetic Warriors. Alchemists. All of them were gathered here for a spectacular event. From the outside, this would seem like a joyous occasion however Drew knew, under all those smiles and welcoming faces were demons ready to pounce on an opportunity, a chance, to rise in power or take down their enemies. After dealing with different kinds of people in the Borealis, Drew had become better at reading emotions. The people here, Drew had to praise, were all good actors but their true intentions couldn't be masked in front of him. This was not going to be easy...especially when literally everyone in the room was starring at him. 

He narrowed his eyes, scanning the people who had their eyes on him. The air froze and Drew let out a scoff sending a chill down some people's spines. Even though they haven't exchanged words with him, they could tell that Drew was not to be taken lightly.  

"Now where shall we begin." 

Short chapter. Next chapter we'll be getting into the auction. Sorry things are progressing pretty slowly. The pace will pick up soon. I'm tired. Also, I plan on doing a special Q&A so leave your questions in the comments below.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6