Chapter 65: Admiration
159 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was Friday, April 8th. 

Position Classes were canceled because the dean scheduled an academy-wide staff meeting. Students frolicked around campus, enjoying their limited time off. 

Jay was sitting next to his mother at the hospital. Her body resting inside the glass capsule lifeless. It's been over two months since the experiments have been conducted to create a cure for Blood Otrio Poisoning. Judging by what the doctor had told Jay, his mother as about a month left and at most a month. Her condition wasn't getting better as Jay watched the toxic beast's blood approach closer to his mother's heart but her remaining Otrio blocked it from progressing any farther. 

"Even on your deathbed, you're still acting like a Guardian, mother. How admirable..."

>>>

At the lab, the last shift of Alchemists finished the tests with the extracts and the Blood Poisoning Regiments and left a file on Drew's desk. 

Opening the file, it seems the success rate had risen to 87%.

This was good news for Drew. 

Although this could be considered pretty high, knowing how severe Mrs. Crossford's condition was, the success rate would have to be at least 90%. 

Glancing down to his right, Drew stared at the translucent Galigar Lotus extract, each one made with different parts of the plant itself similar to how the Alicore Heart and Zyphericus Stem extract was created. If what Drew was thinking was correct, then in order for the cure to attain 100% success rate, he would have to create two regiments with properties so extreme from one another that they neutralize each other out. It was an absurd thought but considering how things were going, it was the most plausible explanation. 

Without further ado, Drew repeated the same monotonous process of testing all possible regiment combinations. 

For some time, the results fluctuated from about 85% to 89%. 

However, despite these fluctuations, Drew could officially confirm that the ideal ratio of Alicore Heart and Zyphericus Stem extract was approximately 4:19. Now it was just a matter of the Galigar Lotus extract. 

It was now five o'clock in the afternoon, to Drew's dismay he was still stuck at 89% and there were thousands of combinations to still test. 

Drew decided to retire for the day but something happened. 

As he made his way to the exit of the warehouse. A loud cheer erupted from the sea of Alchemists. All of a sudden, the Alchemists that had been working at their respective posts flocked over to the individual or individuals who were cheering so happily. Then the cheers spread, it was contagious, like a wildfire touching trees in a forest. One ember was all that was needed to cause the flames to spread. 

Soon, two figures appeared above the see of Alchemists. 

Terra and Alvin were being tossed up into the air. 

"What's the commotion?" Drew asked one of the Alchemists standing towards the back of the crowd. 

The cheers stopped, the Alchemists falling silent as the domineering figure of Axel Snow stood in the vicinity. His frost blue eyes glared at each and every one of the Alchemists akin to a parent about to scold their child for a misdeed. 

Mustering up her courage, the Alchemist decided to respond promptly to Snow’s questions. 

“Terra and Alvin they-“ 

“We found the combination that achieves a 91% success rate.” Alvin interrupted. “However, Terra here found a combination that results in a 95% success rate.” 

“It just happened at the same time.” Terra beamed. “But Alvin here has a fascinating observation to share.” 

Alvin stepped forward. A holographic projection of the two regiments emerged from his wristband. 

“I analyzed the concentration ratios of the 91 and 95% success rate regiments separately. While the concentration of Alicore Heart and Zyphericus Stem extract remained the same, the concentration of Galigar Lotus extracts made from the pistil of a female Galigar Lotus and the roots of the male Lotus varied.  This was also the combination that gave us the highest success rate out of all the extracts created. In the 91% success rate combination, the concentration was 84.67% with other ingredients used as stabilizers. As for the 95% success rate regiment, the concentration was 85.31%. Using the Rehmad’s formula, I was able to narrow down the range in which we can have 98% confidence that the 100% success rate exists!” 

“Go on.“ Drew gestured observing Alvin’s models. 

“The 100% success rate has a 98% chance of occurring if we use Galigar Lotus extracts with concentrations between the range of 85.743% and 85.922%. This is the part where Terra’s wonderful expertise in Alchemical Estimations come in.” 

Terra clapped her hands together. Standing proudly next to Alvin. 

“Typically using the Rehmad’s formula allows us to narrow down a specific range in which a certain outcome exists with a specified confidence level. We never use 100% because nothing is ever certain so the Rehmad’s formula only allows us to estimate up to 98%.  However, we are unable to pinpoint the exact percentage in which the 100% success rate occurs. That is where time becomes an important factor.” Terra explained revealing her work. 

It was complete chicken scratch when she displayed the holograph but Drew could make out some parts of it. 

“Because our testing machines include the factor of time when running our experiments, I could observe the times at which the maximum success rate occurs and plug them into a nifty little algorithm I crafted. Using that algorithm we can pinpoint the exact concentration of Galigar Lotus extract we require to attain the perfect success! The result is… drumroll please!”

The beating of good steps against the cement floor erupted in the warehouse as the sound bounced off the enclosed walls.

The hologram of the data faded away into a stream of blue pixels. 

In place of the nearly incomprehensible hologram, a large blinking number projected itself up into the air. 

[85.798%] 

The whole warehouse fell silent. 

"Now I'd like a volunteer for this demonstration," Terra beamed thrusting one hand out to the audience and the other to her workspace. "How about our wonderful boss, Mr. Snow." 

All eyes were pointing at Drew.

He was standing in the limelight. 

Drew walked over to Terra's workspace. It seems she had already prepared a Galigar Lotus extract with the exact percentage projected and the Alicore Heart and Zyphericus Stem extract.  

Drew took the vials containing the extracts and placed them into the testing machine. 

A mechanical whirring could be heard from the machine as it ran thousands of simulations per second.  

Tension could be felt in the air as the audience fixated their gaze on the two regiments.

The crimson-colored Galigar Lotus extract and pale blue Alicore Heart and Zyphericus Stem extract glowing brighter as the testing machine concluded its experiments, dancing in their vials like fire and ice.      

Ding. 

The classic bell sound of the testing machine rang. 

The experiments were over. 

Results: [100%] 

Silence. 

Silence. 

Silence. 

One clap. 

Two. 

The sound of cheers erupted in the warehouse once more even louder than the ones before. 

Terra and Alvin collapsed to the ground.

They had been working tirelessly for the past couple of months. 

>>>

A couple weeks before Terra and Alvin were recruited for the project, they were Alchemists who had been hired by the Heartman Foundation. 

For the three years they worked there, they had never formally interacted with each other. 

At first, when they were recruited, it was almost surreal that someone like Heartman would be willing to go out of his way to personally recruit them. It was a dream come true. However, because of their blinded admiration for Heartman at the time, they signed their work contract without taking a moment to look over the contents. A rookie mistake, but Heartman knew that there were many who would do anything to follow him. So he took advantage of the naivety of many talented Alchemists, those who aspired to be just like him, an idol worshiped by the masses who appeared transparent. 

How foolish of them to fall for those sugar-coated words and fake smiles thinking their lives would become better once their 'idol' mentioned that they were special. They were brain-washed into the obedient sheep Heartman desired but before they could realize it, it would be too late. Alvin and Terra were no exceptions. 

The contract they signed would force them to work for Heartman for three years without any breaks or vacations using the words 'probationary period' as justification. To Terra and Alvin, those three years would act as their opportunity to showcase the best of their abilities, producing results that would attract the attention of their idol. However, they would come to learn the cold truth about the Heartman Foundation. 

For three years they worked at the Heartman Foundation, putting out new regiments or optimized ones every other week while competing with other Alchemists on their ‘probationary period’ to attain the position of one of Heartman’s treasured Alchemist. Yet, in a place where geniuses from all over Kraus and even other planets were willing to sacrifice life and limb to stand with Heartman, no individual was extraordinary. If everything is special then nothing really is. In the cutthroat foundation, Terra and Alvin were nothing more than your average Alchemist. In spite of this knowledge, the young Alchemist continued to push on regardless of how fatigued they were. They were obsessed with the glory, the fame, the prestige. 

Sadly, their obsessions would become nothing more than a delusion.

One that would be shattered the day they were cast aside. 

>>>

"Holy Mother of Kraus,"  Terra exhaled a breath of relief her body still shaking from the glowing 100% projected in the air. “I didn’t think that algorithm would work!” 

>>>

Terra was a specialist at optimizing regiments, mostly ones she had a strong understanding of. However, when she heard that she was going to be creating an Otrio Blood Poisoning cure, moreover one that not even Heartman himself had perfected, made her tremble with both excitements and fear something she hadn’t felt ever since she embarked on her path of becoming an Alchemist. It was a complete walk in the dark, one that she was scared of taking into the back of her mind when she became a C-Rank Alchemist. Yet, Snow decided to walk in that darkness without a shred of fear. He paved his own path even when there wasn’t one to begin with. He took the risk that Terra would never have taken on her own. It motivated her, and inspired her, in a way that she had never experienced when she was working under Heartman. Now, upon succeeding at this project, she understood what has sparked inside her. 

Innovation. 

Innovation had arisen in Terra’s mind. The algorithms she was afraid of completing because of the fear of failure. The ones she dreamed of but never went through with them because of the fear of failure. The fear of failure from who? Herself? No, it was also from Heartman. Heartman expected perfection from his employees but Snow was the opposite. As cold as Snow’s demeanor was, he encouraged the Alchemist to experiment to be daring instead of conservative. Breaking the set rules of corporate Alchemy and truly showcase their talents. To be honest, as much as she felt tired she felt free. Free to express her opinions without being shut down by her superiors. Free to know that she matters and wasn’t something more than an insignificant employee. 

>>>

“For real?!” Alvin shouted beside Terra. 

“Yeah,” Terra chuckled. “Hey, but you didn’t think your observation would amount to anything but look at where it’s gotten us?!” 

Alvin sighed. 

He finally felt like his hard work paid off. 

>>>

Like Terra, Alvin was also an Alchemist who specialized in the optimization of regiments. Alvin had always been a sharp observer, much sharper than others when came to others in the Alchemy Circle but paled in comparison when creating regiments. His low self-esteem made him frequently compare himself to others, always causing him to make excuses that he was nothing. That's when Heartman stepped in, Heartman didn't care what Alvin thought of himself he saw Alvin's desire to succeed in the Alchemy field. He gave him an opportunity to shine, however, that kindness that Heartman displayed was nothing more than a bunch of lies.

While Alvin worked for Heartman, he spent many days in the lab. Sometimes he wouldn't even go home for weeks because he desired to keep up with the other Alchemists who worked there. There were a limited number of spots on Heartman's team of elite Alchemists and Alvin knew he was at the bottom of the barrel. So Alvin, who was granted the opportunity to prove himself by Heartman, worked three times harder than the geniuses who far surpassed him in ability during his probation period. However, even after optimizing tens of regiments to a perfect success rate, he wasn't acknowledged for his work. Instead, he was reprimanded by his superiors who were wondering why he wasn't working fast enough. Alvin, who held no authority could only grit his teeth quietly, investing even more effort into perfecting regiments.

In spite of all his hard work, not even once was he even cast a glance at, never acknowledged for his accomplishments. But Alvin still hoped, still dreamed that he would have an opportunity to stand next to Heartman. Finally, when those three grueling years were over and his body was drained of every last drop of knowledge he possessed, he was told his probationary period was over. He was relieved but what came next was a call to the manager's office. 

In the cold office, Alvin stood face to face with his manager. To his left, a colleague with dark chocolate skin and hair that looked like the galaxy stood next to him looking as haggard as he was. That was Alvin's first encounter with Terra.  

"Thank you for your hard work these three years. Unfortunately, I'm afraid we have to fire you both." 

Terra stomped over to the corpulent manager. Slamming her hands on his metal desk, causing the holograms projected above it to distort. 

"Excuse me? I'm sorry, can you repeat that again?" 

The plump manager replied calmly once again, "You're both fired." 

Alvin stood with disbelief, "Sir, may I ask what the reason for this is?" 

"You failed to meet company standards-" 

"In what way?" Alvin asked his voice rising. 

"It's complicated" 

Suddenly Terra yanked the manager's collar. After working nonstop for three whole years, she could no longer keep her calm.

"You see here you piece of shit, the raccoon here is right." Terra snapped. "If we're getting fired at least tell us why. If you think we're stupid, boy you're wrong. Hey-" 

"Alvin." 

"Alvin, you must've noticed that the Heartman Foundation never posts any news regarding regiments we worked on. Instead, it all comes in encrypted files to our managers. These guys-" Terra trembled. "This foundation makes me fucking sick." 

Alvin understood what she meant. The reason why the Heartman Foundation tried to cover up news regarding regiments Alchemists on their probationary period worked on is so then the higher-ups and Heartman can take all the credit while the Alchemists themselves get nothing. That's why the Heartman Foundation is able to maximize its profits and Heartman himself doesn't have to do anything to increase his reputation.  

"Is that why Heartman hired us and you belittle us? Is this some sort of joke to you?" Alvin shouted at the manager.

He was furious. 

"Heartman was right. Smart people like you two can't be left alone." The manager sighed, regaining his composure. "What a shame, if only you accepted your resignation quietly I wouldn't have to do this." 

Suddenly, Alvin and Terra's wristbands vibrated.

It was a notification from their banks. 

Opening the notification, the duo's eyes widened with terror.

In their accounts, an amount of cash that was approximately in the millions has been transferred right at that moment. 

Terra gripped onto the manager's collar even harder. 

"You know, my expectations for this place were low but to think you would stoop down to this level...goodness, I wonder why I decided to work for this hellhole. You dare hide things from us and now you want to silence us?!" 

Terra grit her teeth "Come on, Alvin. Let's get out of this disgusting place." 

"I agree." Alvin nodded before glaring at the manager. "Hey, if this is how the foundation treats their employees, you won't be able to keep our mouths shut for much longer. Sooner or later, someone is going to stand up and burn this empire to the ground. It may not be us but the only end I see is not a pretty one. Thank you for wasting our time and have a lovely evening." 

>>>

Drew stood in his position, watching Alvin and Terra sitting on the cold floor of the warehouse. He admired them. Their knowledge. Their experiences. All of that was much richer than Drew's who had just recently stepped into the Alchemist profession. If it weren't for them, the Otrio Blood Poisoning Regiments might've not even attained a 90% success rate. They were miracle makers. 

Drew kneeled down on the ground. His ice-cold facade that made him appear unapproachable to others had melted into a rare smile. He had shown genuine emotions which stunned both Alvin and Terra. 

"Congratulations," Drew said to the two Alchemists, patting them on their shoulders. "Thank you for all your hard work. Take a rest. We'll wrap up everything tomorrow." 

Out of all people, the one who acknowledged their work from the bottom of their heart was this 'emotionless' person who stood right in front of them.

Perhaps Axel Snow is more than what the rumors make of him. 

Hooray, I got this chapter out! It took me so long because I got so invested in the psychological aspect of the story. Anyhow, we are nearing the end of this arc. I think there are only a couple of chapters left before we move onto the final arc of Season 1: The Annual Royal Ball. The Annual Royal Ball will be a much shorter arc compared to this one so I hope I can finish it. Anyhow, comment your thoughts below and stay tuned for the next chapter. Also, follow me on Twitter for the latest and greatest. I also post art for the novel there too since I cannot get embed to work with me.

 

 

 

 

2