Chapter 1
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wind howled through the desolate streets of Satellite, carrying with it the scent of rain. Dark clouds loomed overhead, casting an ominous shadow over the city. It was a gloomy day, one that matched the somber mood that had settled over Hana's heart.

Hana, a 23-year-old woman with brown eyes and flowing chestnut hair streaked with golden highlights, had spent almost her entire life within the weathered walls of the Satellite orphanage after tragically losing both parents in a fire when she was just 6 years old.

Martha, a kind-hearted woman who ran the orphanage, took Hana in, giving her a home, a family, and a sense of purpose. Deeply grateful, Hana was determined to repay Martha's kindness by assisting with the other children. As a teacher and caretaker, she found great satisfaction in teaching basic skills like reading, writing, and math, as well as engaging in chores such as cooking, cleaning, and repairing. Any task that brought joy to the children was worth the effort for Hana.

Yusei and Jack, two fellow orphaned boys, had grown up alongside Hana within the orphanage. They were her confidantes, partners in mischief, and the brothers she never had. But as time passed, the boys eventually outgrew the orphanage's limited walls and set out on their own separate journeys beyond Satellite. Despite their physical departure, Yusei still made occasional visits back to the orphanage, a reminder of the unbreakable bond they shared.

On this particularly stormy day, however, something felt different. Hana stood vigil at the front window, watching as a helicopter suddenly descended from the darkened sky, its deafening roar piercing the heavy air. It landed just outside the orphanage, causing the children inside to huddle closer, their eyes wide with curiosity and excitement. Hana's heart raced as she caught sight of familiar faces stepping out onto the ground.

There was Yusei, his signature spiked raven hair with blonde accents instantly recognizable even in the muted light. Beside him stood Jack, platinum blonde hair gleaming under the pewter sky.

But there were others too...strangers to Hana. An elegant young woman with short blue hair stood close beside a stern-looking older man in a uniform. A lovely girl with long magenta hair walked with two children, a boy and girl who appeared to be twins.

Hana and Martha hurried outside into the blustery wind to warmly greet the unexpected guests. As they approached, Yusei stepped forward, a faint smile tugging at his lips.

"Hana, Martha - it's good to see you both," he said sincerely. "I've brought along some new friends I'd like you to meet. This is Mina, Officer Trudge, Akiza, Luna, and Leo."

Hana nodded and smiled warmly. "It's a pleasure to meet all of you," she replied, extending a hand to each newcomer. "Yusei has told me so much about his adventures, but I never expected to meet his friends in person."

"Thank you for taking care of Yusei all these years. He's talked about you often." Akiza said, returning Hana's smile.

Luna and Leo, holding each other's hands, smiled warmly at Hana. "Yusei says you're like a big sister to him. We're glad to finally meet you too," Luna said.

After introductions, the group made their way inside where the children were watching them through the windows. Jack, Mina and Trudge remained outside, engrossed in a conversation.

The orphanage doors creaked loudly as Hana led the way into the main room. It was bustling with energy and filled with the sounds of the children's laughter. Noticing the unfamiliar faces, the kids gathered around the newcomers, eyes alight with curiosity.

Hana smiled reassuringly. "Come in, come in! Everyone, we have some very special guests today. Yusei has brought some of his friends to visit us - this is Akiza, Luna, and Leo." She rested her hands on the twins' shoulders. "They've come to spend some time and have fun with all of you!"

The children cheered excitedly, already calling out questions and crowding closer. Hana and Martha exchanged a pleased, knowing look.

Yusei stepped forward and knelt down to be at eye level with the children. "Hello everyone, it's so great to see you all again. I wanted to introduce you to some new friends of mine."

Akiza knelt down beside Yusei, her voice warm and friendly. "Hi there! My name is Akiza, I'm so happy to get to meet you all."

Leo grinned eagerly at the kids. "And I'm Leo! Who wants to see my awesome Morphtronic deck?"

The children's faces lit up and they raced over to crowd around Leo, chattering excitedly as he began showing off his cards.

Meanwhile, Luna approached a shy-looking boy standing slightly apart from the others. "Hi, I'm Luna," she said gently. "What's your name?"

"I'm Thomas," he replied softly, glancing up at her.

"It's nice to meet you, Thomas! Would you like to see my Kuribon card?" Luna asked.

Thomas's eyes widened and he nodded eagerly. Luna smiled and pulled out the card to show him.

On the other side of the room, Hana smiled happily as she saw Yusei sitting cross-legged on the floor with a group of kids gathered closely around him. "To build a really strong deck, you need to have variety - powerful monsters, useful spells, traps to surprise your opponent," Yusei explained patiently.

A little girl raised her hand excitedly. "What about dragons? Dragons are the coolest!"

Yusei chuckled. "Dragons are definitely powerful, but you still need balance in your deck. Here, let me show you some card combinations that work well together."

The children watched him with rapt attention, completely absorbed in his lesson as their new mentors generously shared their time and knowledge.

The afternoon passed swiftly, filled with the sounds of the children's laughter and chatter as they dueled, crafted cards, and shared stories with their new friends.

Eventually Martha's voice rang out warmly from the doorway. "Alright everyone, it's dinnertime!"

The kids cheered and hurried excitedly into the cozy dining room, taking their seats around the long wooden table. Yusei, Akiza, Luna, and Leo joined them, still laughing and talking.

A boy named Taka spoke up first. "That guy from Sector Security made dinner for us tonight!"

Trudge smiled proudly as he began ladling steaming soup from a large pot into bowls for each child.

Leo took a hesitant sip from his bowl and immediately made a face. "Yuck, it's super salty!" he complained.

Akiza elbowed him gently. "Manners, Leo," she chided.

Sitting next to Luna, Thomas looked worried. "Is it really that bad?" he asked hesitantly.

Luna tried a spoonful and gave Thomas a reassuring smile. "It's not so bad. A little salty, but homemade soup is always nice."

Thomas bravely took a sip and nodded in agreement.

Watching Leo's reaction, Yusei just chuckled. "Soup always tastes better when you share it with good friends, right?"

Around him, the kids nodded, already eagerly digging into their meal together.

Hana made sure to thank Trudge warmly for cooking such a generous dinner. Trudge modestly accepted the gratitude, happy he could help bring some joy and full bellies to the orphanage.

Later, as everyone finished eating, Yusei stood and lightly tapped his glass, capturing their attention. "I want to share something important with all of you," he began seriously. "Once we defeat the Dark Signers, Goodwin says he will finally complete the Daedalus Bridge connecting Satellite and New Domino City."

The children's eyes were wide, shining with hope and wonder at the idea of a world where their place of birth would no longer limit their possibilities. Hana felt a surge of pride at playing even a small role in improving these children's lives and futures.

Curious to know more, she turned to Yusei. "What exactly are these Dark Signers you mentioned?"

Yusei's expression became solemn. "Dark Signers are people who have been marked by darkness. They possess birthmarks like the Signers' marks, but theirs are symbols of the Earthbound Immortals. They're very powerful duelists who serve evil forces and threaten the balance between worlds."

As Yusei spoke, a bright bolt of lightning suddenly flashed across the night sky, briefly illuminating the dining room. Without warning, a loud crack of thunder boomed overhead and the large window shattered inwards, sending shards of glass flying into the room.

Everyone cried out in alarm as the wind gusted violently through the broken window. Sinister laughter could be heard from outside. Yusei, Jack, and Hana rushed over, trying to see what was happening.

Peering outside, they saw a lone figure emerge from the shadows. Long white hair flowed down his back in a ponytail and piercing silver eyes radiated intensity. Dressed in black and red robes imprinted with the Dark Signer symbol, the stranger stood as his cloak fluttered in the wind.

Yusei opened the broken window and called out, "Who are you? What do you want?"

Yusei opened the broken window and called out, "Who are you? What do you want?"

The man grinned coldly. "Sorry to interrupt your dinner. My name is Roman and I bear the mark of the spider." He raised his right arm, revealing the glowing spider birthmark on it.

Yusei's heart skipped a beat as he recognized the mark, the spider geoglyph that had ravaged Satellite in his vision.

"I heard that four Signers were gathered here and I came to welcome them. Of course, we Dark Signers have only one way of saying hello." Roman grinned, drawing his duel disk.

Before Yusei could respond, Jack rose from his seat, ready to confront Roman. But Yusei quickly intervened, stopping Jack in his tracks.

"Not here, Jack. If we duel now, innocent people may get swallowed up if he summons an Immortal. I'll face Roman. Take the others to safety." Yusei said.

Jack hesitated for a moment before nodding solemnly. "Be careful, Yusei. We'll get everyone out of harm's way."

Yusei turned toward the window and called out,"If you want a duel, Roman follow me."

"Lead the way, friend," Roman replied.

Hana, however, couldn't stand idly by. "Yusei, I want to come with you. I can't just hide while you face this Dark Signer alone."

Yusei's expression turned stern as he placed a hand on Hana's shoulder. "Hana, it's too dangerous. I don't want to see you get hurt."

Just then, Akiza stepped forward. "Yusei, I agree with Hana. We can't let you face Roman alone. We'll watch over you and provide support."

Yusei looked between Hana and Akiza, torn between his concern for their safety and their determination. He understood their desire to be by his side, but he also knew the risks they would be facing. Taking a deep breath, Yusei finally nodded. "Alright, but promise me you'll stay close and follow my lead. We need to keep each other safe."

As the three of them prepared to leave, Jack, Trudge and Martha gathered the frightened children and led them to a secure location, ensuring their safety.

Yusei, Hana, and Akiza stepped out into the night, ready to confront Roman and put an end to the darkness that threatened their world.

Yusei, Hana, and Akiza stepped out into the night, ready to confront Roman and put an end to the darkness that threatened their world

0