Chapter 1: An Unexpected Request
77 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Madison had always admired Rex Goodwin, the director of New Domino City's Public Security Maintenance Bureau. His striking features, magnetic charisma, and mysterious aura had fascinated her ever since she first saw him on the news, and she often daydreamed about meeting him in person and expressing her feelings.

One sunny afternoon, as Madison strolled through New Domino City Park, she heard a commotion nearby. She followed the noise and found herself in the midst of a swarm of reporters surrounding Rex. He stood tall and proud at the center, commanding attention while discussing the city's latest security and infrastructure advancements.

Madison threaded her way through the dense crowd, heart pounding, until she made it to the very front row. This was the closest she had ever been to Rex. She admired his regal stature, confident posture, and the way his jade green eyes shone with intellect. His smooth voice and calm, authoritative demeanor made her knees weak. She longed to reach out and touch him, but could only stare in awe.

After the press conference ended and the reporters dispersed, Madison impulsively decided to follow Rex as he walked to his limousine. Gathering every ounce of courage, she called out, "Excuse me, Director Goodwin?" Her voice quivered slightly despite her efforts to steady it.

Rex turned, fixing his green eyes on her. "Yes?" he replied politely. His gaze seemed to look right through her, and she shuddered under its intensity.

Heart pounding in her throat, Madison stammered, "I...I'm a huge fan of yours. You've done so much good for this city." She blushed fiercely under his scrutiny.

Rex's expression softened microscopically. The corner of his mouth turned up a fraction. "Thank you. That's kind of you to say," he murmured. 

As Rex opened the car door to leave, Madison cried "Wait!" more desperately than she intended.

Rex paused, looking mildly annoyed. "Yes, what is it?" he asked crisply.

Madison's palms grew slick. She had to ask now. "Can I...can I hug you?" she squeaked out.

Rex's eyes widened in surprise. Clearly this was not a common request. "Hug me? What for?"

"I've admired you for so long. I just want to feel close to you, even for a minute," she explained, blushing furiously.

After a pause, Rex nodded, signaling his bodyguards to give them space. "Very well. But just briefly."

Trembling, Madison stepped closer. Rex opened his arms slightly in invitation. Slowly, gently, Madison wrapped her arms around his strong shoulders, finally eliminating the distance between them. The scent of his cologne enveloped her. She couldn't believe she was embracing Rex, the man of her dreams.

Rex slid his arms around her slender frame, one hand on her upper back, the other just below her shoulders. His embrace was tender yet secure. Madison felt his steady heartbeat against her chest, the rise and fall of his breath. She nestled against him, cheek resting on his firm shoulder. For a moment, the outside world fell away.

Rex found himself unexpectedly moved. Her soft curves molded against him, chestnut hair tickling his jawline. He caught a trace of sugared strawberries from her body lotion. It was new yet familiar. Without thinking, he pulled her closer, his guarded heart opening like a flower seeking sunlight.

All too soon, Madison reluctantly loosened her hold, hands trailing down Rex's back as she stepped away. Their eyes met in a meaningful look. No words were needed. In those stolen moments, a connection had been made.

"Thank you," Madison whispered, a radiant smile lighting up her face as she looked at Rex with appreciation.

Rex studied her intently, his green eyes narrowed in curiosity as his brows knit together. There was something about this young woman that intrigued him. She had approached him so earnestly, so openly. He found himself wanting to know more about who she was beneath the surface.

"You're welcome," he replied, his voice both gentle yet authoritative. "May I ask your name?"

Madison's eyes widened in surprise, her long lashes fluttering. She hesitated for a brief moment, suddenly feeling self-conscious under his direct scrutiny.

"It's Madison," she finally answered, a rosy blush tinting her fair cheeks. She worried he might find her ordinary.

"Madison," Rex repeated slowly, as if carefully memorizing each syllable. Her name rolled melodically off his tongue. He nodded slightly, liking the way it sounded. This brief exchange sparked his interest in the bold young woman before him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Madison," he added, offering her a rare, close-lipped smile.

Madison's heartbeat quickened at his words. "You too, Director Goodwin," she gushed, unable to contain her excitement. "Thank you again for letting me hug you. It really meant the world to me." 

Rex's smile lingered, his eyes brightening with intrigue and appreciation for her candid words. "You're very welcome, Madison. It was an unexpected request, but I'm glad I could oblige. I admire your sincerity."

Beaming uncontrollably now, Madison blushed even deeper. She was overwhelmed that her crush had not only hugged her, but was treating her with such kindness.

Just then, one of Rex's somber suited bodyguards approached, murmuring something about his schedule. Madison's smile faded slightly with disappointment, but she understood Rex's responsibilities.

"I won't keep you any longer," she offered graciously. "Thank you again for everything. Talking to you has been a dream come true."

Rex held her gaze a moment longer, as if reluctant to part ways. "I'm glad I could make your dream a reality, Madison. Perhaps we'll meet again someday."

"I hope so," Madison breathed enthusiastically. Rex gave her a parting nod, then strode away. Madison watched him go, beaming, her heart full from their encounter.

***

Madison burst into her apartment, heart racing with excitement. Her encounter with Rex Goodwin left her feeling as if she had stepped into a fairy tale. She could hardly believe her luck. 

Her footsteps echoed on the hardwood floors as she hurried to her bedroom, eager to immortalize the precious moment. Madison grabbed her treasured diary from the bedside drawer and sat at her desk, thoughts swirling like a gathering storm.

Pen in hand, she opened the diary's blank pages and began to write, emotions spilling forth...

Dear Diary,

You won't believe what happened today! I was walking through the park when I saw Director Goodwin surrounded by reporters. I worked up the courage to approach him after they left. I was so nervous, but I managed to tell him I was a fan. He was polite at first, but seemed confused when I asked for a hug. I explained how much I admired him and he actually said yes!

I couldn't believe it as I wrapped my arms around him. Being that close to Rex was like a dream. I could feel his strong arms around me, his steady heartbeat. His cologne surrounded me. I wanted that moment to last forever.

When we parted, he asked my name! I was so flustered I could barely speak. He said "It was a pleasure to meet you, Madison" in that calm voice of his. Just hearing him say my name made my heart skip. I thanked him profusely for the hug. He said I had been unexpected but sincere.

Before leaving, he said perhaps we would meet again. I hope so with all my heart. Today was one of the most magical moments of my life. I never imagined I could actually connect with the man I've admired from afar for so long. I'll treasure this memory always.

Well, diary, I should try to sleep, though I doubt I'll be able to! I can't stop smiling. Director Goodwin actually hugged me! It was a dream come true.

Sweet dreams, 
Madison

Satisfied, Madison closed her diary and tucked it away. As she settled into bed, her mind wandered back to Rex. Their encounter seemed so surreal. With a smile, Madison allowed herself to drift off to sleep.

***

A week later, Rex sat at his desk, absentmindedly shuffling through paperwork. His mind drifted back to Madison as it had the hundredth time that week.

He found himself replaying every detail of their embrace - the tentative way she had wrapped her slender arms around his back, pressing her petite frame against his tall, muscular one. The softness of her chestnut locks brushing his jawline. Her delicate hands gently grasping his shoulders.

Most vividly, Rex recalled Madison's scent - sweet strawberries mixed with a hint of vanilla. The fragrance had imprinted itself on his memory, lingering even now like a ghost. Sometimes he would catch a whiff of it unexpectedly and feel transported back to that sunlit afternoon in the park.

Rex had remained detached from emotional relationships for years, focusing solely on his role and responsibilities. Yet Madison's request, done with such sincerity and vulnerability, had disarmed him. Her embrace had begun to melt the walls around his heart.   

As Rex sat at his desk, high above the sprawling city he protected, he felt an unfamiliar longing building within. He glanced around his spacious office, adorned with symbols of his power and status, and wondered if this was truly enough.

Rex rose and walked to the floor-to-ceiling windows. Watching the tiny citizens below living their small, happy lives, he wondered what it might be like to connect with someone on an emotional level rather than a professional one.

His thoughts drifted back to Madison once more. He found himself wondering if she was thinking of him too, if their chance encounter may open the door to something more meaningful neither of them had expected to find.

0