Chapter 15- Father Son Challenge
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Father Son Challenge 

“You should take a break Zabu. A warrior needs good food. “ The man said his words and flopped to the ground , his legs crossed and his hand extended . 

Zabu sheathed his blade and then joined him. He grabbed the bowl of stew with a pause at its heavy weight then began to dive right in with the wooden fork it was paired with. 

It was one of the most delicious meals he had ever eaten. As he got half way through his bowl his father began to speak . 

“Listen Zabu.” Zabu looked up suprised the man was speaking with food still to ea-

It was gone! 

Zabu’s eyes grew as big as boulders 

Fast! 

Lord Vedro paid no attention.

“Listen Zabu….. “ he scratched his head. “I know the sword is not your first choice . Rightfully so , with your beam, but still I’m glad you seem to be taking to it so well. 

You make me proud. “

Zabu kept eating as the words fell on him. Then paused as he reached the end of his bowl. 

“Umu. “He said. “Thanks grizzly father . “

Then he reached for his sword as he put down his bowl. 

“Plus …… the sword is not too bad . There are many ways to swing it. “He finished thoughtfully. 

“Oh.” his father responded . “Enlighten me on the ways of the sword. “ he said chuckling.

So Zabu picked up his sword and did so.

“First you have the ‘swoosh!’ “, he said swinging his blade and saying the word 

“Then you have a , “‘ Swish!  "

Then a regular.   “‘ Swish. ‘.  “

And lastly you have a.  “‘ Wah! ‘“

Zabu finished his slash with pride . All his slashes had gone the way he wanted them to.

Lord Vedro’s eyes narrowed in observation.

“Hoooh…. and only your second day. “ His hand fell on Zabu’s head. “You’ve made me extra proud son. “

Zabu smiled . “Umu.”

Then his father picked up his left arm, his palm gripping the empty bowl and stretching it out to his side . “It is time Zabu, as a reward for your efforts , we shall do the usual challenges. 

Pick up you bowl son. 

Zabu did so skeptically, picking up the bowl and stretching it to his side. 

He paused . It was heavy . Zabu‘a eyes turned  incredulous.

He had thought that weight was from the stew. 

He narrowed his eyes . 

“So it is a challenge grizzly father . “

Lord Vedro smiled back . “It is . “

“Same as last time .” The young Zabu asked . 

Lord Vedro nodded . “Your win , ten bags of gold coin . Mine. “ he smiled devilishly. “ One thousand push-ups . “

Zabu thought of  the twenty gold pouches from his last wins . 

“You’re on. “

Man and boy nodded . 

“The challenge “ , Lord Vedro began.“ Is to hold that pot by the tips of your fingers while you tell me of your week’s adventures. You have experienced many things these past few days young Zabu , tell me of them.”

And so Zabu did . He held the pot in his hand as he spoke of his morning in SwordTown. He talked of his New swords master that shared by the coin, he talked of strange people, armored men bearing flags and the different weapons he had seen. 

He paused then. 

“I didn’t know I had to work for all the muscles. I thought you could give me yours. "

Lord Vedro’s bellow of laughter almost shook the ground.

Zabu didn’t think it was funny . 

When he continued, he spoke of his meeting with Tuft and Tiara , he spoke of the box and it’s shimmering green blade , he spoke of a dream of a panther and a sword that bobbed below the water. He spoke of a strike he still could not understand. But Most of all , And what mattered most to Lord Vedro by far , he spoke with a smile. 

Damon Vedro looked over his son and nodded gratefully to the heavens  who had blessed him with a strong fearless heir. 

He was thankful . 

He would make sure his son was tested , and tried , he would not waste his blessing. 

“Zabu the challenge has changed . Now , my son. You have a chance to gain 20 bags of gold. 

Just break the jar in my hand.“

Then lord Vedro attacked . 

‘Flick! ‘

Zabu felt the air spit past his face as he dodged by inches . Rage boiled up. 

“Did you just try to pluck me grizzly father ?“

Lord Vedro smiled . “I did. “

So Zabu’s plucked back . A pluck aimed right at the man’s gut .

It was blocked . By one finger as hard as steel . Zabu recoiled in pain.

Then another pluck was thrown at him . For a second Zabu thought about blocking , his mind changed as Shivers ran up his spine. With a last second pivot the boy ducked to the side instead .

Thoom !

Zabu blinked , his finger had a louder wind sound then his sword? Then Zabu smiled . 

And sent a punch to his groin. 

Lord Vedro slid to the side dodging by a literal step and threw another pluck forward. 

Zabu dodged agin , but this time ,  as Zabu dodged , Lord Vedro’s hand stopped midway. Lord Vedro smiled at his son as his pluck went from a jab to a hook.

The pluck landed squarely on Zabu’s arm.

“Urgh! “  

A grunt of pain and a bit of spittle spilled from Zabu’s mouth as flew threw the air.

His arm dropped a little , then he grit his teeth and it stopped it’s descent. With a face of determination he raised the bowl. 

Then he attacked. 

He jumped and threw out a few punches to Lord Vedros face, they were dodged , Damon attacked from below with a pluck Zabu seen coming, then all of a sudden was gone.

Guh ! He grunted as a pluck hit him from behind. This time he was pushed sideways through the air , his body flying like at top , almost parallel to the ground . With force of will Zabu’s caught himself , his feet skidding on the garden soil as he spun clockwise gripping the garden floor with his toes to come to a stop. 

His vision of the world seemed both up and down as he shook off the blow. His father stood right in front of him . Four plucks rained down like falling stars  and Zabu dodged all of them  through the spinning world, his eyes attentive , his body loose but his mind open to every moment. 

When Damon Vedro disappeared this time he saw it coming. He knew where he would be. 

Zabu stepped toward to his left ,right under an incoming pluck that went straight for the back of his neck, then he countered .

He pivoted and threw a low kick at Lord Vedros knee . A perfectly good strike. 

Then he switched it. 

He used the kick to continue his pivot and leaped into the air , then threw a spinning kick straight to Damon Vedros face .

The man smiled , it was a good kick but

Crash! 

A bowl shattered to pieces . 

Lord Vedro blinked at the smoking remains of bowl in his hand and the fizzling beam still sparking to life in his sons hand. 

Zabu shrugged as he put down his bowl. 

“Seems I win Grizzly father . “

Lord Vedro smirked, “seems you do. “ 

And so Zabu skipped off to get Nina to help him carry his gold . 

0