CHAPTER 17- The Mentality of a Widow. Part 7.
39 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Extra Information: Hell.)

Hell, in its essence, manifests as an extremely enigmatic and fascinating realm, where the supernatural and the mundane converge in a way that defies all logic. Within its unfathomable boundaries, a surprising duality emerges between two castes of demonic beings, giving a unique dimension to this infernal realm.

Common demons, in an astonishing twist, forge their existence in a disquieting parallelism with humanity. Within their domains, modern cities flourish with architecture that rivals that of the greatest terrestrial urban centers. Demon schools impart demonic teachings, while tourist sites, strange and macabre at the same time, offer infernal visitors a unique experience. In this world, everyday life resembles that of humans, except that the inhabitants are demons, each with their own history and personality.

On the other hand, the condemned demons who suffer face a heart-wrenching fate. Subjected to unimaginable torments, their punishment is as real as it is atrocious. However, at the end of their sentence, they are granted a transcendental decision: the possibility of ascending to paradise or remaining in the infernal abyss, coexisting with their demonic peers in a society that defies any preconception.

Within the caste of the condemned demons, there exists a specialized faction that plays a fundamental role. Their task is to provoke evil in the human world, not out of a mere desire for destruction, but because in this delicate balance between goodness and evil, between good and evil, lies the source of energy that sustains the existence of the world of the gods. Without their influence, the cosmos itself is in danger.

In conclusion, Hell, far from being a merely terrifying place, emerges as a deep and diverse realm, where the similarity to the human world is surprising. Its intrinsic duality between punishment and coexistence, between balance and chaos, makes it a place that transcends all limits of human imagination and understanding.

CHAPTER 17- The Mentality of a Widow. Part 7.

The pizza is ready, and we start dinner as if we were a normal family.

Noel would take on the role of the responsible adult.

Yuki would be the adorable younger sister.

And I would be the cliché boring teenager, the one who doesn't stand out in anything, the disgrace of the Norsai family.

We just need the mother, and the family would be complete.

Although I don't consider Noel as part of my family, he's more like a distant relative staying temporarily at home.

Yuki is like my little sister, but Noel is just a stranger who helped me study. When he fulfills his purpose, he will no longer be useful to me.

Ah, this is so relaxing. A normal life, with a younger sister, a normal school, normal classmates. Everything is so normal. I love it.

There is someone else with the power to see ghosts in the city, and considering that I felt a bad omen, that person is planning something against me.

Whoever it is, I won't allow them to ruin my normal life. I will find them.

"Saik, Saik! If you wear glasses at school, you'll be popular with women! You'll have more friends, and maybe, if God has mercy on you, a cute girl will fall in love with you!"

Yuki's cheerful voice brought me back to reality.

Thank you, Yuki, your sweet voice calmed me down. I am Saik, the normal guy. The less weird things I do, the better.

And who says I want to have friends or a girlfriend? I admit I was slightly interested in having a girlfriend, but women are so strange that I discarded that idea.

What if I try with a man? I don't know if I like men, but I think it's worth a try.

"I don't care about having friends or a girlfriend."

They're unnecessary, I don't need them.

"I just want a normal school life."

And then I'll commit suicide.

A difficult decision, but considering my current mental state, I don't think I can bear to stay alive for much longer.

"By the way, Saik. What happened to my... ex-wife?"

Accepting reality, huh? Little by little, Noel, but you're getting there.

"I advanced the plan. It'll be ready in a couple of days."

Sylphie's actions sped it up. She saved me a lot of time.

I thought Sylphie would take longer to consider me her friend, but I was lucky that her self-esteem is so low that she considered me a friend in a very short time.

Wow, Sylphie was lucky not to have a pervert as a friend.

Sylphie would easily fall for the charms of some man. Her self-esteem is so low that with a few sweet words, any man could take her to bed.

Noel said she's a virgin, so I arrived in her life just in time, although I would have preferred to save myself all that trouble. Such a hassle.

Sylphie's self-esteem is very, very low. I must do something about that.

I'd rather ignore her problems, but I have to do something. In the future, that low self-esteem will harm me. She already considers me a friend, but I don't want her to depend so much on me.

In the past, many people trusted me and regretted it.

I didn't care because I never asked for their trust. I'm not someone reliable, and definitely trusting me so much is not a good idea.

Ah, I prefer to keep people away from me. I don't want unnecessary problems ruining my life.

But, this time, I have to do something about it because I made a deal with Yuki to help Sylphie.

Sylphie, just because Yuki asked me, I'll help you, but don't take advantage of it, and I won't tolerate ingratitude. If you betray me, I'll abandon you, without caring about anything.

Ah... Such a hassle.

After dinner, Noel started washing the dishes because it was his turn, and Yuki and I went to a store to buy vegetables and meat for our lunches tomorrow.

Eating a lot of meat is bad for health, but Yuki is a ghost, it doesn't affect her, and my digestive system is not normal, like my whole body... Being a weirdo has its advantages.

I can eat whatever I want and won't gain weight, as long as I exercise constantly.

Exercise has been part of my life since I was 6, so it doesn't affect me at all; I'm quite used to it.

"I want sausages, rice, chocolate milk, and jelly!"

"Chocolate milk... Mmm... Sounds good... I'll buy chocolate to make hot chocolate at home."

Oh...

Tomorrow is Thursday, August 28, 2206.

I turn 17 on September 4.

In a week... Wow... Time passes so quickly.

17 years old... So young, but at the same time, I feel like I've lived more than enough... Even more than I should... Or, at least, more than someone like me deserves to live.

"And I think I'll also buy meat to make burgers."

"Homemade burgers?! Yay! You're the best, Saik!"

We entered the store.

I won't lose too much time; I have to go back soon before... Oh... I suspected.

They're still bothering.

"Kya!" Yuki screamed, scared, hiding behind me.

Does it really scare her? I don't find it spooky.

"Disgusting! Stop appearing in front of us!"

He can't hear you or see you, Yuki. For him, you're dead.

The ghost of one of the ghost hunters. What a nuisance.

The same ghost that "eliminated" Yuki. Don't worry, Yuki, someday I'll avenge your fake death. I promise.

"Should I buy another toothbrush...? Better not, mine still works." I whispered to myself, but loud enough for the ghost to hear me.

The ghost that tried to scare me appeared again in front of me, trying to frighten me. It shows horrible disfigured faces, faces of suffering; some scream and cry, and the most disgusting are the faces of my parents, suffering. I know it's fake, so I stay calm, but I'll get revenge for this later.

Yuki was the only one who got scared; I acted like nothing was happening.

I yawned, opening my mouth just a little, not exaggerating to avoid suspicion of overacting, and walked, passing through the ghost.

Ah, how adorable, that little ghost hunter is trying to reach a cereal box but can't.

She stands on the tips of her little feet again and again, trying to reach it, but it's useless. You should drink more milk, little one.

"You're small. You should eat more."

"I eat enough, idiot!"

I lowered the cereal.

Wow, this brand seems interesting.

"Mmm. Chocolate cereal. No wonder you're not growing. Should I recommend a more nutritious cereal?"

"I don't need anything from you!"

"Ah, so aggressive. You're adorable. I would give you a candy, but I ran out."

"Ahhhhhhh! You're so annoying!"

"And here I was trying to be nice."

I handed her the box and continued with my shopping.

"Fufu. Well done, Saik, humiliate that ghost killer. Avenge my fallen brothers!"

Well, Yuki, ghosts are a danger to the world, so... Ah, better not say anything more. I prefer not to make Yuki feel bad.

...Yes, this...

This too...

And this.

Ready, I think that would be all. To pay.

"Is that... is that all?"

... Why is the employee avoiding looking me in the eyes?

How strange... This never happens to me.

She's probably just a shy girl.

Avoiding eye contact with people, in order to be able to speak. Ah, seriously, I don't understand shy people. You should get psychological help, random employee.

"Yes, that's all."

"Saik, buy me some gum!"

"Wait, I want some gum too. And that's it."

It's really hard for me to say no to Yuki.

After paying, I took my shopping bags and left the store.

"That ghost is such a stalker! But, Saik, I'll never get tired of saying it! You're amazing! That ghost is terrifying, but you act as if nothing happened... Aren't you afraid of anything?"

Fear...?

... I don't know.

I never really thought about it... Am I afraid of something?

I don't know... I've gotten so used to seeing death and terrifying things, that nothing scares me or disturbs me anymore.

What can I be afraid of?

I don't know... I don't know... I'm not normal, I've known that since I was a little boy, but... do I really have no fear of anything?

The only thing I was afraid of was losing my parents, and they're not with me anymore.

Do I have no fear of anything?

... I'm a phenomenon.

I passed by a park... Ah... I need a break.

I sat on a bench and sighed.

"Saik, is something wrong?"

I shook my head indicating no.

"Saik?"

I'll be turning 17 and I have no plans... I just plan on finishing high school and then killing myself... Am I really incapable of moving forward with my life? What's wrong with me?

Ah... My head hurts a little... No, not a little... It hurts a lot.

"Hey, idiot. What's wrong with you?"

"... Hello... There's nothing wrong with me... I'm just thinking about my future."

That ghost hunter sat down next to me and the ghost kept trying to scare me.

"Can't you really see me?!"

"Unlike the first time we met, this time you look more normal. Does it take you that much effort to comb your hair?"

"I'm lazy."

"Laziness?"

"Yes."

"... You're definitely weird."

"I know."

I looked up and gazed at the stars.

"The past cannot be recovered, the present is to be enjoyed, and the future is a mystery... My father used to tell me to enjoy my present, and my mother used to tell me to worry about my future... Ah... My head hurts."

"... What's your name?"

"My name is Saik, and you?"

"My name is Sayu."

"Nice name... I'm sorry, I have to go."

I picked up my bags and stood up.

"It was nice to meet you."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"Do you believe in ghosts?"

"Ghosts? What an unexpected question."

"Just answer."

"Mmm... Yes and no. I like to think that paradise exists, but I don't believe so much in ghosts in this world... I would say maybe... 50/50. Why do you ask...? Ah, that's right, little children are very curious."

"I'm not a little child, you idiot!"

She punched me in the stomach. It didn't hurt, but I pretended it did, just a little, but very little.

"You're adorable, but also quite aggressive. I'm sorry, I have to go. Goodbye."

I walked away.

... Well, my act of being a sad and emotional boy worked.

Wow. I'm a great actor. I even pretended to be sad in my mind.

She noticed my sadness and felt sorry for me.

A perfect plan. I knew it was possible that she would follow me tonight, so it was the perfect opportunity to get rid of her.

Shadow is known for being a cold and emotionless boy.

Saik is a boy who can feel sad, even if it's an act.

Definitely, with this, they will leave me alone and stop watching me.

"My respects for that great performance, Saik," said Yuki, my little accomplice.

Thank you.

I left the things on the table and Yuki applauded me.

"You're a great actor, Saik! Even I thought you were sad! You should be an actor!"

"With this, we free ourselves from the suspicions of that ghost hunter. We can be at peace, at least for a while."

Ah... I hope so.

After exercising for two hours, I took a shower and started studying with Noel.

At 4 in the morning, I stopped studying and lay down to sleep for at least two hours.

Two delightful hours of sleep, which I enjoyed a lot.

At 6 in the morning, I woke up, put on my uniform, and packed the lunches in my backpack.

With everything ready, Yuki and I left the house, heading to school.

I'm so sleepy, but I have to control myself and stay awake until the first free period begins.

"Today is Thursday... Ah, time flies, doesn't it, Yuki?"

"Yes..."

Yuki took my hand and smiled at me.

"When I didn't know you yet, I was doomed to be locked up at home without being able to talk to anyone or touch anything... But thanks to you, I have a friend and delicious food! I feel alive again! Thank you so much, Saik!"

Very nice and all, but that was too sudden. How should I react to those words?

"And what does that have to do with time?"

"Nothing, I just want to remind you how grateful I am to you," she said, with a big smile on her cute face.

Well... She's grateful to me... What a nice gesture.

"You're welcome, Yuki."

But, Yuki, the truth is that I should thank you for being by my side. You make my life less painful... You're the most important thing I have right now.

Thanks to you, I can keep going.

Thank you very much.

I entered my classroom. There are 20 minutes left until the first class starts. Perfect. I have 20 minutes to sleep.

"Yuki, wake me up."

"Yes! Sleep, don't worry, I'll wake you up."

I put my backpack on my desk and tried to sleep using it as a pillow.

I have to admit, I'm very comfortable. In a couple of minutes, I'll be deeply asleep... Maybe... less.

I yawned... Ah, so sleepy.

(Pov- Yuki.)

Wow. He fell asleep too fast... That must be a record! He fell asleep in seconds.

But I understand his tiredness quite well. Saik studied a lot with Noel today, he deserves a rest.

Well... What do I do while I wait?

I know, I'll go spy on the students!

Maybe I'll discover a dirty secret. Hehe.

"I'll be right back, Saik."

I left the classroom... Oh... What is Sylphie doing outside?

Why doesn't she come in?

Wait... I recognize that expression... She was crying.

I started floating and looked closely at her face... She was crying, her eyes are a bit red and moist... Could it be that the girls from earlier hit her?!

I'll tell Saik immediately!

"Mother..."

... Oh, it has to do with her mother.

She wiped away the tears that started to fall and sighed.

"What can I do...?"

She sighed again and entered the classroom.

Wow... Something bad happened to her mother... But what?

Curiosity is going to kill me... I have to find out what's going on!

(Pov- Saik.)

"Saik, Saik, Saik! Wake up, Saik! I'm telling you to wake up! Wake up, wake up!"

Yuki, if you weren't so adorable, I would have already hit you.

I was having such a comfortable and pleasant dream... Ah... So lazy.

I raised my head and yawned.

Ah... I was dreaming about cakes and chocolates... I'm hungry.

"Yuki, please, could you be quiet?"

"Look at Sylphie!"

Sylphie?

I turned to look at her.

"Did you notice already?!"

"Yes... Her hair is shorter."

"That's not...! Wait..."

Yuki turned to look at her.

"It's true, her hair is a little shorter, you can barely notice... Saik, you're disgusting! Are you staring at her so much...?! Fufu. Did you fall in love with her?"

"No."

I covered my mouth with my hand.

"I just have good eyesight."

I know what's going on, but I had already anticipated this. I have a plan for this.

"Sylphie was crying! Something happened to her mother! You have to help her, you're her friend!"

Friend because you forced me, Yuki, don't forget that.

If it were up to me, I would completely ignore her. Ah, what a bother.

"Ah... So lazy."

"Put laziness aside!"

Ah... Fine.

... The boy who tried to flirt with Sylphie on the first day of class is getting closer to her.

This is his chance to be her friend and, maybe, in the future, her boyfriend.

I have to prevent it.

"Yuki, make that boy fall."

"Yep!"

She immediately noticed what he was planning.

She approached him and tripped him.

He fell to the ground, and while he complained, I approached Sylphie.

"Good morning, Sylphie."

"G-Good morning, Saik!"

"Mmm..."

I looked closely at her and she started to look away, while her body trembled, full of nerves and shyness.

Yes, she cried a lot.

"Did someone steal your money or hurt you? Well, I warned them. I'll go hit them."

"W-Wait! T-They haven't tried to do anything bad to me. T-Thanks to you, I'm safe."

"Then... Ah, I know. Did you forget to do your homework? Don't worry. Don't worry, I'll pass it to you."

"T-That's not it..."

"... I give up. I'm bad at guessing."

"Saik, Saik, look at that boy's face! He's angry because you stole his chance to conquer Sylphie. Hahahahahaha!"- Yuki said, while Sylphie tried to speak, but the words wouldn't dare to come out of her mouth and she simply lowered her gaze, embarrassed.

Although I don't care who tries to win her over, I only prevented it to gather information.

"It's obvious you were crying. Did something bad happen? But if you don't want to talk about it, it's okay."

"... I had an argument with my mother..."

Wow. Does she trust me that much or did she succumb to social pressure?

It's clear that she doesn't want to talk about it with me. Yes, social pressure. It's best not to discuss that topic with Sylphie. I'm not a psychologist, and I know that talking about problems is a step towards solving them, but I don't think it applies in this case. I'm still a stranger to Sylphie. Talking about it with me, a stranger, will only make her feel bad, uncomfortable, or embarrassed. I prefer to avoid that.

"Ah, a family matter. Don't worry, I won't ask anymore. I know it's something private."

It's best to keep my distance on that topic with Sylphie. I'm not a psychologist, and I know that talking about problems is a step towards solving them, but I don't think it applies in this case. I'm still a stranger to Sylphie. Talking about it with me, a stranger, will only make her feel bad, uncomfortable, or embarrassed. I prefer to avoid that.

"Here."

I took a lollipop out of my pocket and offered it to her.

"Take it, something sweet will calm you down. I'll just give you one piece of advice, if you argue with your mother, dialogue is the solution. If she refuses to talk, just speak and let her listen. Ignoring the problem is never a good idea."

"Y-Yes... Yes, I know..."

She took the lollipop and smiled shyly, but a little more determined than before.

"Thank you, Saik."

"I hope everything gets better... Well, let's change the subject. Do you want to work on the project at your house or mine? We're almost done... Wait... You barely know me, inviting you to my house would be uncomfortable and could be misinterpreted... I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, but I assure you I'm not a pervert."

Sylphie jumped and started to wave her hands quickly, shaking her head.

"D-Don't worry, I know you're a good person!"

... Ah, if only you knew what I did to your mother.

"Can we do it at the school library?"

"S-Sure, that's fine with me."

"Thank you."

One more step. We're so close.

I took out my cellphone.

"Would you give me your number? I'll send you the last topic you need to research and gather information on."

"S-Sure!"

Alright... In a short time, I gained her trust because I showed several times that I'm not trying to win her over or take advantage of her.

Although I still think it was a short time... Well, I'm her only friend, so... Does that have anything to do with it? I don't know.

But well, today will be the final phase of my plan.

Wow... I thought it would take me longer, but it only took a couple of days... Iris's depression must have been more serious than I thought.

... Too serious... I think I'll modify the plan a little more.

I was planning on just talking, but it won't be enough this time. I have to take action.

Ah, I hope Yuki never finds out what I'll do to Iris.

The first classes ended, and Sylphie approached me while I took out the lunches from my backpack.

I glanced at her and sighed, tired, because I know exactly what's about to happen.

"Do you want to... eat with me?" she asked.

Immediately, Yuki started pretending to caress my cheeks.

"Saik, accept, you need to socialize! But let me keep my food in your backpack, I'll eat without anyone noticing, I promise," she said, checking the time on my phone to save time while Yuki talks.

I put my backpack on the seat and left one of the lunches inside the bag, in a less visible position.

"Sure, let's go."

"Do you eat so much? I've noticed that you always have two lunches."

"Besides being lazy, I eat a lot. I'm surprised I don't gain weight... I guess I have a good digestive system."

"I-I see."

Sylphie and I left the classroom.

I have to continue behaving like her friend for two reasons.

Number 1: I promised Yuki. Although it may not seem like it, I am a man who keeps his promises. Besides, in my family, promises are always fulfilled. I won't disappoint the Norsai name... Not more than I already have.

Number 2: If I'm her friend, I'll be able to tell if her mother's problem returns.

As I said before, I am a man of my word.

I promised to help Noel, and I don't plan on leaving a job unfinished.

I will improve Sylphie's self-esteem so she can make friends, and then I can get rid of her.

My plan for a peaceful school life doesn't include friends.

"... Saik, do you really not like wearing glasses?"

"I would be lying if I said no. I do like wearing them, but I prefer saving the time it takes to style my hair. As you can tell, I don't care about other people's opinions. Why should I care about what others think of me? I should only care about what I think of myself. Don't you agree?"

"... Yes... You're right," she said, with an adorable smile.

Wow. She may have a thousand flaws, but that smile is very adorable.

Ah, I left my sweets in my backpack. I want to give her one... I'll give her one later.

I have my emergency sweet, but it's only for emergencies. You never know when you'll need an emergency sweet. I'll give her one later.

"Why are you interested in knowing about my glasses...? Ah... Do I embarrass you? I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention."

"N-no! I-it's not that! It doesn't bother me, I-I was just curious... It's just that... Y-you look... r-really c-cute... with glasses."

I see... For a moment, I thought she was a girl who cared about physical appearance, but I guess not. I think the information I have about normal girls is a bit off, or is Sylphie different from normal girls? Maybe a bit of both. Seriously, I will never understand girls. Was my mother just as strange? I don't remember her doing anything weird. My mother was perfect in every way.

Well, well. Ah, how adorable, she blushed. Is she blushing because she thought I got mad at her and she feels embarrassed? I suppose that's it. Why do faces turn red? I never understood it. I think it's mainly due to embarrassment.

Well, it doesn't matter, what matters is that she is very adorable, at least her face. I'll give her two sweets later.

And she called me cute, huh? Poor thing. Her low self-esteem makes her believe that I'm cute.

And am I cute? Well... I don't know. I never cared about my appearance, and I don't know anything about it.

Am I considered cute with glasses?

Yuki told me I looked cute, and so did Sylphie.

I guess I am.

And how does knowing that affect my life?

It doesn't. I won't style my hair even if they call me cute.

I'm too lazy to style my hair, and I don't care if people consider me cute.

Besides, being cute won't help me achieve my dream. It's unnecessary.

"Thank you... Honestly, I only do that because I don't like styling my hair, and I like having long hair. I don't care if people think I'm weird. I prefer being comfortable over pleasing others."

"I-I agree with that."

I hope she understood my subliminal life message. Brainwashing would be quicker, but it's not normal. I have to settle for old-fashioned methods, like dialogue.

We arrived at the school cafeteria.

The cliché place where groups of friends gather to socialize.

Clearly, you can differentiate between different types of people.

There's a group of boys playing video games on their handheld consoles.

Groups of girls talking among themselves, and their laughter is annoying.

And, of course, the popular boys.

How do I know they're popular? Because they're the largest group in the place.

And a few antisocial, or asocial, or shy ones. Whatever.

Hmm. I don't see any lunches in their hands.

"Hey, Sylphie, are you going to buy food?"

"Yes."

"I'll get a table."

"T-thank you."

I approached the tables... All of them were occupied, but not entirely full. There were some tables with available spaces.

Hmm... Here's a perfect spot for Sylphie and me.

I sat next to a group of girls and opened my lunch, ignoring their looks of disgust and annoyance.

"Hey, it's taken."

Now they'll try to kick me out. How amusing. It's a public place, idiot.

"Did I crush a ghost? Oh, that sounds terrifying."

I turned to look at them.

"Ah..."

That's the girl I hit. She glared at me when our eyes met.

"Is your stomach still hurting?"

"Tsk. I don't want to be near him. Let's go."

She left, and all of them followed.

She's the most important in that group of friends, probably because she's the prettiest and possibly the wealthiest, huh?

So typical, but at least now I have a table all to myself.

Being disgusting and frightening has its advantages. Why do others mind? It's very beneficial.

"Yes, I'm telling you, I crushed it! The opposing team was humiliated!"

"Darn it, I lost the bet!"

"You bet that we would lose?!"

"This... Oops."

... Two guys sat at my table... And one of them stuck his tongue out while hitting himself on the head.

That's only adorable in women; in men, it's gross. Disgusting. You'll ruin my meal. Ah, I want to eat with Yuki.

"Hello, Saik. Hope you don't mind sharing."

"It's the first time we talk, right?"

... Do they know me?

Let's see... One of them is tall, has a sturdy and broad body, red eyes, and orange hair. The other guy is average height, green short hair, and blue eyes.

... No, I don't know them. I tried, but I don't remember seeing them anywhere.

Who are these randoms?

"Hello... Who are you?"

"Don't you recognize us?!"

"... Are you famous?"

"We're your classmates!"

"Oh, I see. I never pay attention to my classmates, so I didn't recognize you... Hello, my name is Saik."

Why did I introduce myself to them? Because I sense they might be useful to Sylphie in the future.

"I'm Naok!" said the tall, strong guy.

"And my name is Bell!" said the other, who doesn't stand out in anything, unlike Naok, whom I can distinguish from others due to his height.

"I see."

Honestly, I don't care about their names, but they seem like easy-to-manipulate idiots. They could be useful.

"I-I'm back."

Sylphie left her food on the table and offered me a lemon drink.

That's strange; I didn't order anything.

"T-take it, I bought you a drink."

Well, how kind of her. She noticed I didn't have a drink and bought one for me. Nice gesture, Sylphie.

"Ah, right, I forgot to buy one. I'll pay you back; wait."

"N-no need, you invited me to eat, it's my turn to return the favor!"

Something for free, huh? I admit it's challenging for me to reject something free as it saves me the effort of buying it.

Also, accepting this from Sylphie will make her feel better, as she'll be helping a classmate, feeling useful, or at least feeling better about herself. A win-win. No reason to refuse.

"All right. Thank you very much."

She sat across from me, and I opened the drink.

I was about to take a sip, but the duo of idiots' gazes were bothering me. And those disgusting smiles?

"Oh. Did we interrupt something?"

"Fufu. I thought you were just a simple nerd, but you have a cute girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?!"

Don't shout, Sylphie. I know it's gross for someone like me to be called your boyfriend, but it's not that big of a deal. I don't care that much, but remember, I also have a heart.

"We're just friends. And I'm not a nerd... I guess. Are you jealous, by any chance? Don't worry, I'm still available. Unfortunately, I don't like guys."

They both started laughing, and Naok gave me a hearty pat on the back.

"You're funny, Saik!"

"... Funny?"

Did I say something funny?

"I thought you were a boring guy, Saik, but you're more pleasant than I thought," said Bell.

"Well... Boring? Is that bad?"

"We thought you were the typical guy who spends all his time studying."

... Is that bad?

Isn't it supposed to be good for a student to study? That's why we go to school.

... Odd. I don't understand normal people, nor normalcy in general.

"S-Saik's not boring! He's a fun guy."

Fun?

I never try to be fun... How odd is my personality?

"Saik, Saik, some girls are scratching your table!" Yuki shouted, flying towards me.

Yuki, you look very nervous. It's just a table; it's not that important. Don't get so worked up over a simple scratched table.

"And they stole your candies!"

... Okay, this is a problem.

I won't act yet, but I will get revenge. No one steals my candies and gets away with it.

No one.

5