26 – Promise
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few moments before the battle within the second garden began, the Emperor held tightly to Alejandra's hand as he, Alejandra, and the Empress escaped through a special passageway installed within the second garden. 

Previous Empresses sometimes used these pathways when they wanted to have some alone time and or did not want to be disturbed by their knights. 

The Emperor knew of this passageway only because his grandmother, the late Empress, who wedded his grandfather from a simple county, often used this to have their secret trysts.

Well, that story had very little relevance to the current ongoing use for this tunnel, which was the escape to safety of the Imperials and the Grand Ducal Heiress.

“Alejandra, keep yourself close to me!” The Emperor said stiffly. “That Baron over there will be fine, he seems strong.” He said to quell the growing worry on the young lady's face.

“Listen to Jacob, honey.” The Empress agreed. “Your father would prioritize your safety above all others and that is why we must adhere to the promise we made to the Grand Duke.”

“Your Highnesses, are you truly saying it is alright to leave the wom–... Man who saved us back there to deal with the fight alone?” Alejandra seemed frustrated. “It seems preposterous to do so!”

Alejandra knew Maddison was strong, she knew that whatever the Kingdom could possibly throw at her would be crushed beneath her heel. She knew how clever the Leader of the Underworld was and how capable a woman she could be if she wanted to.

But…

There was a sinking feeling in her stomach, like something wasn't right.

The Kingdom who spent their time impersonating the Underworld would've surely not underestimated her power. 

If they prepared to invade and launch an ambush within the heart of the Empire, surely they must have a precautionary measure against the powerful Underworld’s likely interference.

“You're strong, Alejandra, but you will only hold him back if you choose to stay and fight.” The Emperor argued. “I am not letting someone as bright and talented as you fall on this battlefield.”

Alejandra dragged her heels to the floor and stopped in her tracks, pulling the Emperor backward. “No.”

“Alejandra!”

“I will not let someone die for my sake, especially when I know I could've done something.” The Lady snapped her hand away from the Emperor.

“Alejandra…” The Empress gazed at the determined eyes of the heiress and a lump formed in her throat. 

If she was still here, the Princess would be of similar age to Lady Alejandra had she not been assassinated by Kingdom scum. The Empress stared down at the Young Lady, the promise they made to Ramirez ringing in her head.

The Empress was not about to let Alejandra rush off to get herself killed.

“Alejandra.” The Empress tightened her words and stiffened her face. “You must not go back there, that is an Imperial Order.”

“Andrea!” Jacob, The Emperor, looked at her like she was crazy. An Imperial Order is a harsh order that the Emperor or Empress can impose. This is considered a direct order and failure to act upon said order would be counted as treason and thus the perpetrator’s entire family shall be held accountable.

“Your Highness!” Alejandra was in disbelief. She knew what the Empress meant, if she tried and helped Maddison now, she would be violating an order and risking her entire family.

“That's too much, Andrea!” The Emperor nudged his wife. “She is still young, her actions are bound to be impulsive!”

“So you are fine with letting her leave?” The Empress glared at her husband who suddenly turned quiet. “Alejandra Taylor Ramirez, you are to escort me and my husband to safety and you shall not under any circumstances leave our side. That is my Imperial Order.”

Alejandra clenched her fists. 

The Empress was being unreasonable.

Alejandra hasn't even known her that long why is she being this protective? Alejandra couldn't pin down the reason in her mind. Why could they possibly be doing such extreme things?

“Why?”

“This is what must be done to keep you safe. That is the promise I…We made to your Father.” The Empress raised her chest and chin as Alejandra faced them with a dissatisfied expression on her face.

“Now,” The Empress pursed her lips, “If you care about your family's reputation at all, you would follow what I said.” The Empress sighed, her face returning to a gentler look. She reached over to hold Alejandra's hand once more.

“That's the promise you made to my Father?” She slapped the Empress’ hand away and glared at her. “I’m sorry your Highness, but I cannot live with myself, knowing I let my own honor down. I would rather be banished from my family than leave a comrade to die.”

Alejandra without a second thought, turned around and dashed as fast as she could to the second garden.

“ALEJANDRA!” The Empress yelled and took a step forward to chase after her but the Emperor stopped her.

“Andrea…leave her be.” The Emperor smiled. “That girl is a good kid, we can't taint her soul.”

“But we can't just let her join the fight against that person following us!” The Empress grit her teeth. “You heard what that orange haired man said! The enemy following us is likely the strongest one in the entire ambush.”

“I know.” The Emperor said. “I will go back for her, The exit is right around the corner…you go.”

“But Jacob…” The Empress pleaded and held both of her husband's hands. She couldn't bear to let him go back on his own

“No…you're already tired enough as is…” The Emperor reassured her. “I’ll bring her back safely. I will not let Joseph down.”

The Empress couldn't say anything. 

The Emperor jogged after Alejandra as she stood still by the exit, watching her husband's back become farther and farther away. 

She cursed to herself as she gripped the skirt of her dress. Her husband was placing himself in danger for the sake of his friend’s daughter. She felt disgusted at herself for trying to ruin the Young Lady’s honor. 

She didn't care whether she would be labeled as a hypocrite anymore. She charged forward, following the steps of her husband.

Returning back to the present, The Captain of the ambush brought his sword down to dispose of the powerful mistress of the Underworld but before his blade could come near the woman. It was intercepted by blue steel, smoking in frost, as a freezing backbiting cold stretched from the sword’s edge towards the hilt of the other blade.

“My Lady!?” Maddison, now exposed in her normal look, guffawed at the sight before her.

“What happened to you?” Alejandra spoke in between her struggle. “I thought you were all powerful and crap!?”

Maddison somehow found it in her to smile. “Alas, I have become quite the damsel in distress and I need a powerful Knight to save me.”

“Cut the antics!” She pushed back the sword of the Captain, Hughie, as she turned to face Maddison who was grinning. “I swear to god, don't make me regret coming back for you.”

Maddison laughed but her face turned serious. “Be careful.”

Alejandra felt a tingle in her neck as the Captain rushed from her left and nearly decapitated her but she drew her sword just in time to lighten the damage. She skidded on the ground as the force from the slash was enough to knock her quite far.

“Impressive.” Hughie Monroe mused. “To remain standing after such a strike…it seems you've received adequate training.”

“I only learn from the best.” Alejandra took her stance and set her arms forward, pointing her blade towards the Captain. She tried her best to hide it but her arms were shaking, that blow she tanked was enough to numb her entire upper body for a split second.

“That sword?” Hugh raised an eyebrow and a smile formed between his lips. “I see…a rare magic sword! Having a blade like that is a dream of mine!”

“Get your own.”

“I’ll take it from your corpse.” The Captain smiled and blasted towards her direction so fast she could barely register what happened.

Her instinct saved her as she deflected the slash by flashing her sword upwards. 

That wasn't the end of it though.

The Captain’s blade kept coming and coming. It was a ferocious onslaught of never ending cuts and slices that Alejandra could only defend against.

She was being pushed back, trying her best to avoid getting injured but her arms were slowly getting tired and it was getting more and more difficult to keep up with the Captain’s speed.

“Ahahahha!” Hugh laughed with malevolent amusement. “You're keeping up far longer than I thought!”

What was this guy?

He was too strong.

He looked young too, around his early twenties. There's no way he could've become this strong so quickly.

“Crap.” Alejandra took the wrong step and slipped on a piece of stone. This single moment of opportunity was apprehended with extreme ecstasy as the Captain broke through her guard and slashed her chest. “AGGH!” She stepped back and regained her footing. It wasn't a deep cut but it sure hurt as hell.

“You know, you could've left.” He had raised his eyebrow as he casually continued his fine movements. “BUT! You chose to stay here… You have good honor, but that’ll be the end of you. You picked the wrong choice missy!”

“Shut up! Less talk, more fighting!” Alejandra grit her teeth. She was getting annoyed at everyone telling her what the correct or wrong choice was.

“AHA! You're cute!” Hughie laughed and he turned up his fighting. “Fine…I’ll use my magic too since you want it so much.”

Without a second in between, Alejandra's vision fogged and her eyes narrowed as it became harder for her to see things. 

Suddenly her vision cleared…she opened her eyes and realized that the man she was fighting, Hughie, had vanished, along with Maddison.

“What the?” Alejandra then received a blow, similar to a kick, behind her back and she crashed into the dirt. 

“Ahahaha!” There was laughter around her.

“Raaagh!” Alejandra slashed sidewards hoping to hit something but there was only wind and air.

“My Lady!?” Maddison's voice called from somewhere. 

She turned her eyes towards the voice but she was met with a straight punch to the face and even more consecutive laughter.

“You fu–” Alejandra couldn't finish as she received another fistful of well…fist at her cheek and she stumbled backward struggling to remain on her feet.

“He’s using illusions!” Maddison informed me from somewhere. “He’s playing with your head!”

“I can see that!” Alejandra yelled back. She wasn't dumb, she knew she was being played for a fool right now.

“You need to break the illusion!” Maddison said. “You need to hu– Agh!” A shriek of pain cut her off.

“Maybe I should kill you already.” The Captain threatened. “You're only alive 'cause I’m having fun…but you're ruining it.”

“NO!” Alejandra raised her sword. “She’ll stay quiet now…I won't listen to her anymore. Now let's continue your stupid game.”

“Hah! I’m done.” The Captain’s voice had a shrillness to it that sent shivers down to her spine.

Suddenly, she didn't know why, but she could tell death was going to touch her from the left side. She sidestepped and cut horizontally. At first, she felt nothing but at the very end her blade’s edge sliced through fabric…then flesh.

“AGH!” The man screamed as the air around them rippled and shifted until the surroundings returned back to normal. The Captain staggered backward with a cut on his shoulder. “How did you…?”

To be honest, Alejandra didn't know either. She only felt that there would be an attack towards her left side. She couldn't give a proper reason as to why she managed to predict his movement.

“Good job, My Lady.” Maddison praised from behind her, she too had reappeared.

“It was nothing.” Alejandra exhaled. 

It in fact was not nothing 

It took everything from her.

She was about to give out from exhaustion.

“Anyways, Can you find a way to break me free from here?” Maddison wrangled her chains. 

“I’ll try.” Alejandra glanced down at the green limestone looking fetters that shackled down her limbs. “What even is that?”

“Some magic sealing rock, I’ll explain later, for now…deal with his Adjudicator Magic.” Maddison frowned. “It's similar to the Elves’ wind magic, specifically mist magic. Except his, has much higher potency than normal illusions.”

“I won't be able to tell between reality and lies?”

“Exactly. There’s little to no clue whether you're going to be attacking him or just a random tree.” Maddison explained.

“How do you know this??? And How do I even deal with that?” Alejandra complained.

“I’ve been observing for some time now, I'm utterly useless with these chains binding me but I can at least tell you some clues.” Maddison explained. “As for how to defeat him on your own…I have no clue.”

“What!?” Alejandra gawked. “What would you do then!?”

“Flatten this entire section of the Palace to the ground.”

“...” Alejandra didn't say anything back to her. She held the sword meant for the princess tightly within her palms as its blue glow emanated brighter and brighter. 

She felt the chill of the blade call to her.

“So? Done discussing how you’ll take me down?” Hughie mocked. “Honestly, it's really sad to hear all your planning inevitably amounts to bleegh.” He blew a raspberry to add even more insult to what he already was doing.

“Can you just.. stop being an asshole?” Alejandra glared.

“Hahahaha!” The Captain played with the sword in his hands. 

Alejandra could not hide her frustration. This manchild was doing his absolute best to get into her head.

And it's working.

She took a deep breath and felt the bitter frost on the edge of her sword. “I hope you’ll awaken to your true potential or whatever.” She whispered, addressing the weapon in her hands. “I really really need your help to beat someone up right now.”

1