14 | The Witch’s Apprentice and the Fallen Stars
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Request

Maxwell’s fingers clawed into his sword’s grip.

The pounding of drums and chanting ceased when the demon spoke, leaving the cold air in a harsh whisper. Below the floating yellow eyes, the men remained still as the trees around them. Sweat ran down Maxwell’s forehead as he began to estimate how large this thing truly was. His eyes bounced to Alana. The witch was white as the stars above.

"A witch too… hmm… An odd pairing.” It retracted back into the trees. “Tell me, knight, why do you have her by your side? Are you perhaps… A knight in appearance only?

The sweat on Maxwell grew frigid. Compared to the demons before, this one’s voice was calm, collected. It chuckled, its shallow laughs mimicking the popping of twigs. “That child under the tree. Is that why you’re so scared, witch? Tell me, what was your plan with her?

“A-Alana…” Alice whimpered. Maxwell glanced back to her. She tightly hugged her bag to her chest, trying to disappear behind it. Her purple eyes were wide and full of fear.

“It’s okay, Alice. They won’t get near you.” Alana replied sternly.

It laughed. “Oh… I smell the fear in your blood, witch! My bones tremble in anticipation! Child, Alice, you have so much energy compared to her! If only I could have tasted the blood of your family! Too bad that witch stole the pleasure from me-

“Quiet!” Alana screamed. Her voice rattling in the night. Maxwell tore his gaze from the surrounding men and looked to the witch. She hugged herself, shaking.

The beast bellowed. “This is the rumored War Witch, huh? Slayer of dissidents? How disappointing. Any other witch would have killed the child by now. Tell me, Alana…” Its voiced growled. “That father of yours, the so called Grand Luminary, does he know what you’ve done?

Maxwell looked to the yellow eyes.

Oh? Poor knight. You know so little of witches and women. They will never share a whole story with you. Tell me, did she smitten you with her lies and deception? She is still quiet beautiful.

Leaning its head out from the shade of the trees, Maxwell saw the creature’s face again. It was narrow, skeletal. A series of antlers on its side swirled into each other, forming mutilated horns. Below them were its glowing yellow eyes, which lead into a narrow snout full of teeth. Its jaw hung open, serpentine tongue swaying in the air with each word.

I promise you, knight, a woman’s greatest weapon is deception. When she is through with you, she will run a knife in your throat then gut the child like a fish.

Alice whimpered behind Maxwell and Alana.

The beast’s tongue flipped up to its snout, licking its upper jaw. “Ah! The smell of fear! An addicting scent! You are weak, witch. But this is your chance. We can slay this knight and take the child. Then, you will be able to slay your father. Do you truly think some boy can do it?

The knight looked to the witch. She bit her lip, anger on her face.

Max, if she-She began, but Her recommendation was cut off.

“Alana would never do that!”

Maxwell and Alana looked back to Alice. She stood, still hugging the bag to her chest, fear and anger in her eyes. “Alana is a good person! She would never hurt me or Max!” She dropped her bag and pointed her shaking finger at the beast. “Max has killed monsters like you! With Alana you stand no chance!”

Alana killed your parents, child. She burned your father to a crisp and choked the life out of your mother.” Its skeletal mouth curled into a wicked grin. “I hear she even dug her teeth into your mother’s throat, drinking the royal blood in her veins.”

Alana’s gaze ran from Alice. She feared the child’s eyes. Maxwell’s remained, seeing the blood drain from her face.

He had to end this.

“Don’t pay this thing any mind, Alice.” He stepped before the two. “Demons twist stories and truths in order to take advantage of you. After we kill this thing you, and Alana can have a long talk.”

With a single arm the knight raised his blade, pointing it to the demon. “Where is the other one?”

Oh?

Maxwell stabbed the blade into the dirt and shouted. “The wolf head! Where is he? Once I’m done with you I’m going to kill him!” The knight smirked. “He had wings too, but you don’t seem the type. I assume you’re his dog?”

It bellowed. Tongue swinging in the air. “Oh! I LIKE you knight!” Behind its head, the trees leaned with weak pops. Maxwell swallowed as he saw two large black blurs sprout into the sky.

Stay strong, Max. We can kill him.She said.

It’s wings ceased their expansion. “Knight, that thing with you…” It said, a confused tone in its voice. “Ah… I see, witch. That’s why…”

The beast’s wings slowly curled back into the trees. Its head retracted back into the darkness.

Before its eyes fully vanished in the darkness, it made a statement that sent lightning through the knight’s body.

Kill them.

Maxwell’s gaze snapped behind him, to Alana and Alice.

Everything crawled.

Alice screamed and hugged her bag, falling at the tree’s base. Alana rushed to cover her, doing things with her bag and hands that were beyond Maxwell’s understanding.

His eyes ran along the treeline.

The men charged, silently. The only companion to their advance was their footsteps.

The knight ripped his blade from the dirt and prepared.

As the men grew closer, Maxwell saw their features.

Fur coats hung over their shoulders, covering their bodies. Their heads were masked in the flesh of deer heads. The mouth had been removed, leaving a mound of flesh that was sew shut.

The stench of death filled his nostrils.

They’re nothing compared to you, Max. You’re a trained warrior. They are just degenerates, freaks.

Her words calmed him, and he let his body move naturally.

The man who first reached him hurled his weapon, an ax, over his shoulder. The knight swiftly caught the weapon with his own, keeping his blade’s tip pointed forward. Maxwell skillfully pressed his weapon forward, ramming its point through the man’s eye.

Two more moved to strike. Maxwell moved into the corpse’s arms, using it as a shield. The attackers struck their ally, burying their weapons in his back. With a growl, Maxwell tore his blade from the man’s skull and swung it on his defenseless attackers. It tore into their throats and they stumbled to the ground with bloodied gurgling.

Maxwell swung on his heel. Another was already swinging at him with a sword. His stance was sloppily open and the knight stood the initiative. He launched into the man’s open arms, grabbing his sword arm and twisting it between his arm and chest. The sword slipped from his fingers as Maxwell ran his own blade through the man’s heart. He then swung the corpse around him, using it as a shield against the coming blow of a scythe.

Any fight was difficult, requiring focus.

This was something else.

His opponents made no sound. The only hints of attack where footsteps and the whispers of air when a blade flew.

Blood covered him as he dropped attacker after attacker.

Through the mob of flesh he saw flashes of Alana and Alice. The witch’s movements were foreign to him, but men would crumble as they approached her. Some of them ignited into flame, others suddenly clawed at their throats. It was then her statements ran through his mind again.

“The eyes of the owl.”

He did not understand, but perhaps that was how he could hear the footsteps so clearly? Did owls have good hearing? The knight thought he read that they did.

Nevertheless, it did not matter right now. He forced his curious mind back to the current situation, hurling his sword down and separating a man’s arm from his body. To the knight’s discomfort the man silently fell to the ground, holding his bloodied stump.

No screaming, just twitching and holding.

Unnatural. They had been screaming earlier, but now…

He stepped over the bodies and made his way to Alana and Alice. The mob had thinned. In unison, they stepped away. The knight made his way beside Alana. He took a breath, thinking a retreat was in order.

Maxwell’s blood ran cold when he saw more of them in the treeline.

“Alana.” He whispered.

Her crimson eyes jumped to the knight.

“I’m going to open a path down the hill. Take Alice and run.”

Max!She yelled.

“What about you?!” Alana asked.

He smiled. “I’ll be fine. We need to get Alice out of here. Please.”

“M-Max?” Alice whimpered.

“You were right, Alice.” Maxwell began. “Alana is a good person, and she loves you. Let no one else say anything different. Now get ready.”

It was like an eloquent dance. Alana watched in amazement as the knight swiftly countered foe after foe. She wondered how much of it was the owl’s eyes and his own skill. She knew the knight was powerful when she saw the corpse of Oglal, but seeing him move with such precision was unexpected. Her illusion of him being an ignorant boy had been destroyed.

Within seconds their opening had been created. Alana scooped up Alice and dashed down the path they had taken to this hell. She glanced behind her, shocked to see the knight holding the majority of men from pursuit. Yet, inevitably, some did drift through. Although, Maxwell had nothing to worry about. Something he definitely knew.

Alana kept her chant internally, not daring to let Alice hear it. She mouthed the words and looked to her target.

It will be done.

The stern voice murmured in her ear. An arm, dark as a silhouette, shot out from the pursuer’s mouth, its bloodied claws glistening in the moonlight. The man crumbled to the ground, grasping at his throat. A humanoid shadow shot out from the corpse and attacked the others in a blur. The witch tore her gaze from the carnage and took a breath. She approached the winding path downhill and swiftly jumped over it. Squeezing Alice to her chest, she slid down the slope, kicking up piles of dead leaves. She grunted as twigs and rocks scratched her body.

Her deafening descent stopped, leaving the two of them in a quiet forest. Alana and Alice’s pounding hearts hit each other. With a breath, Alana let herself lean against the slope and loosen her grip on Alice. She hugged the witch and cried.

“Max! He’s-”

Alana patted Alice’s head. “He’ll be okay, Alice. You saw how strong he is.”

“But-”

Alana smiled. “Lets get you somewhere safe, and I’ll go back.”

“I don’t want you to!”

Alice’s statement hung in the air. Alana’s eyes were wide.

The child looked up to her with tears in her eyes. “If Max is going to come back then that’s what he’s going to do! I don’t want to be alone anymore! I don’t care what you did! Don’t leave me, Alana!” She weakly pounded her hands on Alana’s shoulders. “I don’t want to lose anyone else! Not again! Not again!” Her sobs choked her words.

Alana felt tears form in her eyes. “I’m so sorry, Alice! I-” The words would not come. Alana choked and pulled Alice into tight hug.

The two of them remained that way for a long time.

With a breath Maxwell stood tall, stretching his legs and back.

Well done.She smiled.

“Yeah.” Maxwell replied. His body hurt, but he had to push past it. His eyes ran over the various corpses around him.

He was lucky She had been correct. If these were trained fighters all of them would be dead.

Who were these people?

Some cult?

The blood drained from his face and She realized what he was thinking as well.

Max, we have to go find them!

The knight wasted no time. With new found energy he dashed after Alana and Alice.

Hand in hand, Alana and Alice moved to find a good rendezvous point. The two would wait for Maxwell and then make a plan. The witch’s chest was light. Despite the circumstance she couldn’t help but smile.

Alice did not hate her.

The realization gave her an overwhelming sense of energy. She felt she could take the demon on herself.

“Alana, when Max gets back we have to make sure he’s okay. He has to be hurt after fighting so many bad guys.”

“We will. He’ll probably be stubborn about it, but we’ll take care of him.” She said with a tinge of red on her cheeks.

Alana’s ears tingled at a set of footsteps.

Maxwell?

No.

They were close.

How did they get so close?

The owl should have warned her.

“Alana?”

That voice.

She turned on her heels.

An odd feeling touched her stomach.

Pain?

No.

What was that?

Her crimson eyes were met with red.

A dagger was buried at the hilt in her abdomen. The feeling of the blade in her body was absent. She felt nothing, but the overwhelming red was horrific. With wide eyes she looked at its owner.

Rebecca held her finger to her lips, yellow eyes dull.

Alana opened her mouth to talk, but she choked on iron. Tears filled her eyes as realization began to sink in.

The dullness in her friend’s gaze shifted into a malicious glow. Her lips twisted into a venomous smirk.

“Alana!” Alice shrieked. Her voice rattling Alana’s heart. She looked to Alice, trying to speak. Another man emerged from the trees and scooped the child into his arms, covering her mouth.

“Alana, are you really surprised?” Rebecca said.

Alana turned her gaze back to her friend.

“Oh! I love that look!” Rebecca squealed. She grabbed Alana’s shoulder and tugged the blade free. Alana gagged, seeing pools of red hit the dirt. The weapon was then plunged into her again.

Alice screamed into the man’s hand, kicking her feet.

“War Witch, huh?! Look at you! You’re so weak!” Rebecca’s smiled curled, showing her teeth. “You’ll make a good mother, Alana.” Her voice bounced the taunt. “Sure, you killed your first child. Not that I’m any different.”

Alana placed her hand on the blade and Rebecca smirked. “I know your secrets, Alana. You’re not that smart. You really thought you were helping me, huh?! You were helping yourself! Your father knew what you were doing and he kept in contact with me.” She licked her lips. “Tell me, Alana, do you like him?” Rebecca nodded her head uphill. “Our ancestor spirit?”

Alana struggled to breathe. “Reb-”

“SHUT UP!” She shrieked, twisting the blade. “I’VE HATED YOU SINCE THE DAY WE FIRST MET! YOU WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING?! ALL THOSE YEARS AGO, THE DAY OF VISUALIZATION?!”

Alana grew light headed. The radiance of Rebecca’s gaze twisted the world around her. “The wolf welcomed me with open arms, calling me his child. I saw you too. Laying on the ground, scared of him. It was pathetic. He told me he would use you for my sake.”

“Don’t… hurt… Alice…” Alana wheezed, realizing what Rebecca was hinting at.

“SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!” Rebecca screamed with crazed eyes. She pulled the dagger out and kept stabbing Alana to relieve her rage.

Alana felt herself leaving her body. Everything felt so far way. Her eyes drifted to Alice. Her purple eyes wide and full of tears.

Rebecca brushed her cheek against Alana’s and whispered in her ear. “What happened to you? You were able to appear kind, yet be as fierce as a wolf. Was it all pretend?” She pulled away, face as lifeless as a corpse. “I killed my parents, Alana. I committed a ritual so impressive I was brought to that school. I thought it was so odd when you approached me that morning. You were so kind, but after your visualization you were cold like me.”

Rebecca sighed. “Tell me, why was it Alice that made you truly regretful? Your own husband and child were nothing, yet her… I don’t understand.”

Alana’s head hurt. She was far away, but the pain remained.

Why?

She had no idea.

“I… Something… Changed…” Alana choked.

Rebecca’s gaze was hollow, cold. She narrowed her eyes. “I don’t understand.”

Alana did not either. But, a feeling began swimming in her gut.

She deserved this.

For all her crimes.

“Alana, tell me, did you truly think you could just get her out of this? That you could just defeat us?”

She pulled the blade free and licked it. “Your blood tastes pretty bad!” Her yellow eyes shifted to Alice. “But hers… after this… will be especially delicious! All that fear…”

Rebecca released the witch’s shoulder and let her crumble.

Alana watched helplessly as they dragged a screaming Alice back up the hill.

Sliding downhill was hard in armor. Yet, Maxwell managed to keep his balance. His eyes remained wide and focused as branches smacked and snapped over his armor.

A scream shook the air.

Ignoring caution, the knight kicked off the decline, letting himself sloppily roll the remaining length.

Max!She yelled in his ear.

He didn’t care. He had to move.

As the ground leveled, Maxwell rolled to his feet and dashed forward, praying he wasn’t too late.

The knight froze at the sight.

Below the moonlight Alana lay on her side. A pool of blood as her cushion.

He and Her had no words. Maxwell inched towards her and knelt down.

His eyes widened when Alana’s crimson gaze caught his.

“A-Alana!” He yelled, gently taking the witch into his arms. He glanced at the source of the wound.

There was too much blood. He reached to remove her shirt, but a weak, pale hand touched his.

“A-Alice…”

Maxwell looked back to Alana. Her pale face pleading with him. “Save… Alice…”

The knight felt his limbs shaking.

Something touched his cheek. With a shaking arm Alana placed her hand on his helmet’s side. “I’m… sorry…”

“Don’t worry. I’ll protect Alice, okay?”

A weak smile formed on her face. “My pocket… weapon… break it… over… blade…”

“I understand.”

Alana’s eyes trembled and grew wide with fear. “I’m scared, Max…” Her voice quivering.

“Don’t be. You’re going somewhere better, okay?” His voice shook.

“He’s right there, Max…” Tears ran down her cheeks.

“Who?”

“W-W-Wolf…”

Maxwell glanced over his shoulder.

Nothing.

“Alana?” He looked back to her.

“I’m sorry…”

“Alana?!”

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I’m sorry…”

“Alana!”

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I'm...”

“The Great One will take care of you, okay?” Maxwell stuttered.

But Alana was gone, leaving a dull crimson looking into Maxwell’s blue eyes.

With heavy breaths the knight’s frame trembled.

He gently laid her on the dirt and took a small vile from her pocket.

The knight silently turned and moved uphill, fury boiling his blood.

1