19 | Boys and Serpents
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aware of the Shadows

What was this?

The knight and Her were frozen. It was above them, in the trees. If it weren’t for its ghostly eyes, the creature would be invisible in the darkness. Rain pecked the knight as he began to understand the shape of the thing.

Like a bat, it was hanging from the branch above them. It was the size of a man, its humanoid shape twisted, curling at the torso, forming the shape of a hook. Its impossibly large, white eyes blanketed its face, leaving little room for any other features. Like a flame in wind, part of its eyes swayed and spat, leaving its head.

As the creature shifted, its eyes rotated and melted out of their oval shape, moving like mist. It was a quiet motion, and when it was complete, the eyes stabilized

Maxwell blinked as droplets of rain managed to peck at his eyes. His body trembled at the frigid temperature.

Why do you look so frightened?” It asked, head twisting further into its side. The voice was cold, intelligent. Yet beneath its matter-of-fact tone was a hint of elation. Maxwell moved in front of Her and the thing’s body protruded forward. “Oh, just like your father. Such a brave boy! I’ve seen your fights. Very impressive!

It dropped from the trees. Maxwell traced its descent, but quickly lost the beast to the darkness. Within the blink of an eye it was standing in front of him. Its form was more visible to the knight now. Its body seemed to be wrapped in a cloth, hiding its limbs. Its face was flat, holding two massive white eyes. Managing to break his concentration from its curious gaze, Maxwell saw there was no distinction between its neck and torso. The knight’s eyes widened as the shape was made known to him.

An owl.

As if understanding what Maxwell realized, a sharp smile sliced across the shadows that was its face, just below its spectral eyes. Like its eyes, the smile was a pure, glowing white. “Oh! You’re sharp, boy! Yes, I am the owl Alana spoke of.

Leaving Maxwell to process its statements, the towering owl leaned forward, peeking over the knight’s head and at Her. “That is the form you took, huh? Quite striking I must say! Matches your soul well! Beautiful in the eyes of men and spirits alike!

Her eyes remained wide, full of fear.

Maxwell did not understand.

He and Her had faced many demons before this one.

Yet none of them had emitted the feeling of dread and foreboding that the owl did.

Once again it vanished, immediately slithering next to Her. Maxwell spun on his heel. Standing over Her, it snapped its back forward to meet Her eyes, bending well over ninety degrees. From the black blur that was its body, an arm, dark as night, reached out, fingers sharp as daggers. Maxwell dashed between them, sword in hand. But the owl simply leaned over him, keeping its head and hands between him and Her. It twirled Her blonde hair as it spoke. “Your likeness to the boy’s mother is very impressive. Your recreation is close, but it’s not perfect. That is to say, you are much more beautiful.” Its body heaved as it laughed. Retracting itself, the creature again stood in front of them. “One of you, talk to me. Surely you have much to say? Especially after my words?

“You knew my father and mother? You know about Her?”

Oh! A two for one! You gotta be quicker!” It teased Her, arching itself backwards. “Yes, I knew your father, boy. I knew your father’s father, and his father, and his father, and his father… I even knew Ansel! But yes, your father, a very impressive soldier! He managed to marry the last of royal blood! An impressive feat!

Maxwell’s eyes widened. “Wha-“

It then snapped forward, looking him in the eye. “I’m glad you survived! I always had a feeling you’d be interesting, and was I right?! Had you died in that village all those years ago, my life would be so boring!

Who are you?

It cocked its head at Her. “You don’t remember me? I’m hurt… Holy Mother.

Her eyes widened, their blue filled with shock and horror. “What did she mean?! What did Rebecca mean?!”

The owl’s twisted smile returned. “You’ve forgotten where you came from? The boy has distracted you.

Don’t talk about Maxwell like that!

Oh! I mean no disrespect! Thanks to him, this war has become very interesting!

“War?” Maxwell chimed in.

Yes. Surely boy, you are aware of it. Or some of it. Spending your youth in books, you must have at least some idea.” Its hands slithered from its body, coming together. Its eerie gaze falling on Her again. “We split from the Architect.” It pulled its hands apart, leaving them hanging in the air. “Our initial rebellion, a failure. As a result we were cast down here. Down to his inferior creations.” Its eyes fell on the knight and curled into crescents. “Of course, I disagree with the inferior label! Some of you have been quite amazing!” It then looked to Her.That is why we are here.

“Architect?”

The owl looked to the knight. “He has many names. Some call him Architect. Others, like Ansel’s Order, like your father, called him the Great One.

She narrowed Her eyes. “That doesn’t make sense. When I fell I already saw what was happening. How could I have been with you at the start?!

You fell from the universal logic. Of course you would get glimpses of what was, what is…” Its lips twisted in malicious delight. “… and of what is to come.

Her gut sank as Maxwell’s eyes fell on Her.

The owl’s smile sharpened evermore. “Oh, poor boy! She didn’t tell you about her descent?

Her skin grew pale, eyes downcast, terrified of looking at the knight.

You knew deep down, didn’t you? You’re one of us. That means the knight must slay you too, no?

Maxwell’s body shook.

What?

She is…

No.

He stopped himself.

The knight stepped beside Her. “You think I’m going to believe you? I know Her. She would never seek to harm me or anyone. Demons are deceivers. Why should I believe you?”

Max…

What’s Her name?

Its question slashed through the gentle raindrops.

The owl then chuckled. “Do not mistake me, boy. I only seek to make you aware. The two of you will have to solve this mystery yourselves. You asked of the Holy Mother, yes? I will honor the question.

She pressed herself to his back, crying.

Tell me, boy. Are you familiar with your bloodline deviation?

Maxwell narrowed his eyes.

Your confusion does not surprise me. The world is full of deception. When the leader fell, he met you. Or rather, the creations of the Architect. You dutifully battled, but some of you did not. Some came to our leader. One of those, the Holy Mother, she birthed the new race.

The knight’s eyes widened in shock. Before him was the owl, holding his helmet. Its free hand ran through his blonde hair. “Ah… The architect did good with you. Truly handsome…” It again leaned over Maxwell’s shoulder, gazing at Her. And beautiful…

It looked back to Maxwell, swiftly sliding his helmet back on. Eyes rotating. “Do you follow me? You were betrayed by your own as well, knight. Your mother’s ancestors split, some going to him and others remaining loyal to their creator. From those women, those rebellious princesses, a new race was born.” It nodded towards the direction of Abigail’s home. “Alice. Why do you think she was so important to Rebecca, to the Luminary?

Abigail was jolted awake by a rough smack to her stomach. The pain was quickly forgotten when she heard the screaming. Shooting up, her eyes snapped beside her. Alice was flailing, kicking her legs and swinging her arms. She screamed so loudly her lungs rattled and her chest heaved. “ALANA! ALANA! NO! NO! NO! ALANA!”

“Alice!” Abigail yelled. She scooped her up into an embrace. The child pushed and squirmed in her arms. “It’s me, Alice! Abigail!”

Her chest convulsed with her haggard breathing.

“Alice!”

Her violent motions and shouts steadily calmed. Abigail gently pulled Alice away from her chest, meeting purple eyes that were flooded with sorrow. She gently wiped them and smiled. “It’s okay. It was just a bad dream.”

Tears streaming and eyes twisting in pain, Alice slowly shook her head. She gasped between sobs, desperately laying her heart bare. “No… It was real! They… They… Max… If he hadn’t… But… Alana…!”

The color drained from Abigail’s face as Alice screamed and sobbed. Her body trembled with her wails. Abigail pulled her into an embrace.

“What was that?!”

Abigail looked to her door. John stood there, blade in hand, eyes wide. “It’s okay! She just had a dream.”

Taking a deep breath, his stance calmed. “Thank goodness.”

The trio was in silence.

But something was missing. Someone was missing.

“Strange that he’s not here…” John trailed as he left Abigail’s room.

He then called to her. “Abby… Maxwell’s gone.”

A knock came to the front door.

“Alice is…”

She is. A combination of your and our leader’s bloodline. Several flocks were failures, creating monsters. You’ve killed some of them. The giants, Oglal, Korson, and others are all products of this haunting union.” Its right arm snapped out of its body. A sharp, slender finger rose from its palm, pointing to the moon. “But, a few were truly something special. A race to match your nobility. Alice belongs to that. That Dreamwalker showed you some of the battles. He built his army and they descended upon your kingdom, eager to topple it and make their own.

The owl retracted from him, burrowing its arm and looking to the sky. “But, not all are made for greatness. You see the results. A once beautiful kingdom given to filth.” The owl sighed and then looked to Her.

You were called the Holy Mother because you have her appearance. At least, that’s what I suspect!” It smiled sharply as its voice bounced with the theory.

Maxwell bit his lip. He knew to be suspicious of this demon, but information was information. With a breath he decided to inquire the owl more. “What do you know of the Grand Luminary?”

Alana’s father? I’ve met with him. Very intelligent. His message is appealing to many.” It’s voice grew loud, chuckling. “To be frank, that man is more of a demon than me!

“You talk about him as if you’re not involved.”

I’m not involved, boy. I am a mere observer. I sought to gain power, but failed. Now, I only await the conclusion. Who will win? The architect or the rebellious creation? It’s a duel that may outlive your time. Perhaps it will exist for all eternity? Maybe it was meant to.” Its voice then grew low, into a tried mumble. “But all I can do is watch.

Maxwell and Her remained quiet.

The owl silently watched them, curling and turning its head.

Then it spoke. “You interest me the most, boy. The son of royal blood and a knight. I look forward to what you do in the future.

“My mother was…” Maxwell murmured. The owl’s message still not fully sinking in for the knight.

She was! Remember what the Dreamwalker showed you! Who do you think it snacked on? You’re mother was sick for quite some time while she carried you… You know how violent those things can get!

His heart pounded as realization hit him.

What did you tell John? That they use blood memory? Well, it would appear it used it on you!” The owl chuckled. “Ancestors, parents, the fruit never falls far from the tree. I see them all in you, knight.” It’s flaming eyes danced in excitement. “I know all boy. I was there since it began.

“How do I know you’re telling the truth?”

To the knight’s surprise, its mouth swirled into a frown.

You don’t. Learn for yourself. Seek light, dark, and everything in-between. Only then will you know, only then will your discern. Like us, you seek horror. You seek the unknown. Truly a dominant soul!”

“I’m nothing like you!”

Its frown immediately coiled into a venous grin.

Oh, but you are! I see the smile that twists on your lips when you see us. When you behold us in all our glory! When you hurt us! The excitement in your heart! Your intrigue of the mysteries, of the sublime!” The owl pressed its head before his, leaving mere inches between them. Ecstasy emitting from its flaming gaze. “EVEN NOW! I SEE THAT SMILE ON YOUR FACE! YOU’RE EXCITED, SHAKING WITH ANTICIPATION! YOU’RE THINKING OF THE WAYS YOU CAN HURT ME, DISSECT ME! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT!”

It snapped away, standing tall and looking to the sky. The owl took a breath, calming itself. "You would have never embarked on your mission were this not the case.

Don’t lower Maxwell like that! He’s a good man!She yelled, wrapping Her arms around the knight. Her blue eyes were sharp as daggers.

Oh! I mean it in the best of compliments!

“He has my compliments as well!”

That voice.

Maxwell looked deeper into the forest.

He emerged.

The Grand Luminary.

Holding his hands behind his back, he confidently strode to the knight and owl.

Maxwell raised his blade.

I’m not here for that, knight.” His voice was calm, yet confident. He then looked to the owl. “I expected that you would talk with him at some point, but for us to do so at the same time. Funny how that works.”

Indeed.”

The knight examined him. Like before, his body was in a black suit, and a hat sat on his head. His face was in darkness, masking his nose and mouth. Despite that, like an eclipse, a white light gently outlined his dark eyes.

“You…” Maxwell growled. “You’re Alana’s father, yes? The man who tortured her so greatly. The man who killed Alice’s parents. The man who betrayed and killed his own daughter?!”

“Did I betray her, or did she betray me?”

Maxwell narrowed his eyes.

“To be honest, knight. You have my thanks. I was no fan of Rebecca and her cult. I’m glad her plan failed. And… I’m glad Alana had someone in her final moments.” His haunting eyes fell to the ground for a moment, but he then returned his gaze.

“But you told Rebecca of Alice!”

“I did. Frankly, I was prepared to kill her myself. After all, I’d much rather kill her than Alana. But I was there to see you and Alice do it for me.”

“You couldn’t kill your daughter, so you had Rebecca do it for you? So…” Maxwell’s fingers burrowed into his palm. “You watched Rebecca do it… You watched her kill your daughter?!”

“I did not. I’m only human, boy. I cannot be everywhere at once. Understand, no parent wants to kill their child. But there is a bigger picture. My duty comes before my personal matters.”

She squeezed Maxwell, who shaking in fury. The owl silently watched the two, head snapping between them.

“I come to you with two messages, knight.” He held up his gloved hand, raising a finger. “One, a warning. Due to Alana’s standing, Alice was in a comfortable position. Even those who were able to understand what Alice was were deterred by Alana. But now, as word gets out that the war witch is dead, others are going to get more active. Especially those who are aware of Alice.” He then raised a following finger. “Two, join us.”

Maxwell’s eyes widened and the owl chuckled.

“Join you? Our duties are different. How could I ever consider that?!”

“You are abandoned, knight. You fight a losing battle. Join us and not only will you bring order, but your loved ones will be safe.”

Sweat ran down his brow. “Are you threatening me with them?”

“I’m only telling you the reality. Where you and Alice go, others and us will follow. I have an out for you.”

“You seriously believe I’m going to join you?”

“You are being deceived. You serve an evil thing.”

“I kill evil things.”

“No… You are trapped within its grasp. It is not so simple.” He sighed. “The being you worship is false. An evil creator.” His voice grew loud, excited. “Above this evil, in the great body of the universe, the dragon and his army fell. He gave us the knowledge to usurp this evil thing! To take our rightful place beside the true king!”

It was then Maxwell noticed something in the woods surrounding them.

Eyes.

Thousands of them hung in the darkness of night, iris’s excitedly snapping about.

Childish voices echoed from the darkness.

 

Hope falls from the heavens!

It emerges from the sea!

Glorious serpent! So wise and charming!

Glorious wolf! Making our teeth sharp! Help us serve him!

Serve our savior!

Serve our glorious light!

 

The Grand Luminary raised his hands and brought them together. “When he fell past that false king, chaos entered. Sadly, humanity was not ready for the truth. Few can handle it. But, I seek unification! Let us all come together! We must in order to achieve our destiny! The world must unite to dethrone this false god!” He then took a breath. “You can continue your mission of slaying beasts who drag us down into dust, and Alice and your friends will be safe. A fair deal, no?”

The knight didn’t know what to say. At a complete loss for words, he furrowed his brow in confusion, curiosity taking hold. “If the Great One is evil, then doesn’t that make us evil?”

“In this world, in his creation, yes. But… Even this false god, this Great One is subservient to the Greater Will. It may have created most of us, but even the divine knowledge seeped into our husks, allowing us to be free from its reign. The dragon gave us the spark, and gave us the ability to be gods, knight.”

Maxwell’s skin crawled. His breathing rugged. She kept her hold of him, hoping her presence would help calm him.

The Grand Luminary smiled. “I will give you time. I do wish to show my thanks for burying my daughter. But, my promise of a cease fire only comes from me. I do not know what others will do.” His black eyes narrowed as if he was smiling.

Eyes widening, Maxwell spun on his heels and darted back to Abigail’s home. She was right beside him the whole way.

0