03 | The Girl with Red Hair and the Village of Desire
129 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Visions of the Past

Everything made sense, yet none of it did.

Time was linear, yet convoluted.

The events happened to him and away from him.

He was floating above an abyss of darkness. Vertigo tingled his limbs and twisted his stomach. In the darkness, Maxwell heard waves rush and flow below. It sounded close, yet he saw none of it. There was a gleam below, and it slithered throughout the darkness.

Voices whispered in his ear. Their statements are muffled and unintelligible, yet make perfect sense.

They hissed.

The water.

He comes from the water.

The stars above watch.

His warriors fall to him.

When did he fall?

They prepare.

They return.

Here he is.

Look to the cavern.

The tunnel.

The grave below.

 

Loud splashes erupted below Maxwell. More glowing shapes appeared and swam below.

Memories flashed before him.

Fire.

The blinding glow of destruction scorched his eyes. Maxwell squeezed them shut, fighting his aching eyelids. Screams echoed and compounded in his ears.

We saw you Max.

We knew your father.

The pain left him and he opened his eyes and saw what was below him.

Hordes of people sat before an elegant castle. They knelt on their knees, arching their backs and resting their heads on the dirt. Water flowed from their open mouths and eyes as the sun slowly brushed over them. Before the castle’s gates was a line of knights. They stood strong, undeterred. Within its halls, the king prepared for his family to escape.

“Take care of them, Andrew.”
“I can’t leave you all here!”
“You must.”

“Dad?” Maxwell whispered.

The mob was then upon the castle. As they dashed water poured from their bodies. The knights remained fearless as the mob surrounded them. They fought and died, never retreating or pleading. The horde was inhuman. They bit and ate and disfigured in animalistic fury. Far beyond the violence, in the valley that stood before the castle, was the silhouette of a serpent. It hoisted its body and looked to the sky. Multiple fleshy black wings sprouted from its back.

“It’s here, Max!”

“Dad!”

Here he was again.

The moment he knew, the moment that was forever engraved into his brain.

Maxwell and his father rushed from their home. He stumbled and breathed smoke and rancid stenches he could not hope to identify as they passed the corpses and blood and fire.

“Run, Max! Run!”

His father grew distant. No matter how fast he ran his legs would not close the distance.

“Dad!”

He reached, only grabbing air.

Then it appeared before his father. A humanoid thing with massive mangled black wings. Despite the human shape, it had the head of a wolf, blood covering its thick black fur. The creature smiled a smile Maxwell would never forget. Its massive sharp teeth were barely contained within its snout; saliva eagerly ran down its jaw, mixing with the remains on its teeth.

The wind blew Maxwell and he found himself under a house, watching the frantic cacophony of feet and hoofs and paws stomping in the dirt before him. The screams, roars, and destruction were deafening. He squeezed his eyes shut and held his ears, wanting it all to stop. Tears ran down his cheeks and he squeezed his eyes tighter as the noise grew stronger.

Then it halted.

With a breath Maxwell opened his eyes.

Before him was the wolf’s head, smiling a massive smile. Yellow, cat-like eyes wide with excitement.

Maxwell screamed. He screamed in frustration and fear. He wanted to escape. He wanted to live.

But more importantly, he wanted to kill.

To kill this beast, this demon. These things took everything from him.

His heart roared and his body burned. Fear was soon drowned by anger.

Max…

Max, it’s okay…

Maxwell looked at Her. The overwhelming emotions drained and he felt himself again. She gave him a warm smile and brushed Her golden hair away.

I’m here with you. Don’t let these things scare you. We can beat them together.

She gently brushed his cheek. Her small, delicate hand was smooth as cloth, and Her words sweet as honey.

I am here with you forever.

Thunder cracked and rain pounded his body. Maxwell was brought back to his senses by a howl of pain. He blinked, seeing his blade had bit into the DreamWalker that stood over him. Blood mixed with water and rushed to the mud below. He placed his boot on the disgusting body and slowly slid the demon off. It hit the mud with a wet thud. Splashes of brown leaped into the air like fingers wrapping around an item. He rose, watching the slain thing’s thrashing slow to a halt.

Another growl sounded and Maxwell snapped his head to his right. The other creature lunged at him. He grabbed its mouth and ran his blade through its head. It trembled, and he shoved it to the ground. The knight tried to stand tall, but the pain in his side stopped him. He stumbled, stabbed the wet earth below, and leaned on his blade, letting the rain wash him and bury his prey.

I’m glad you’re okay, Max.

Despite the loud downpour, he heard Her clearly. Maxwell’s head rose and She stood before him, glowing and untouched by the earth around Her. She placed Her hand on the side of his helmet and stroked his cheek.

My brave knight. I am with you forever."

6