10 | The Witch’s Apprentice and the Fallen Stars
42 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Down to the Fire

Darkness had greeted them shortly after they resumed their march. Alice slept peacefully in Alana’s arms, leaving Maxwell to carry the multiple bags. The forest was a pitch black ocean. Their only light a lantern swaying around Alana’s hips. Its unnatural illumination perfectly circled the trio, engulfing them as they moved through the quiet abyss.

She turned and smirked to Maxwell. “You curious about the lantern?” Then she narrowed her eyes. “I hope that’s what you’re staring at.”

She stuck Her tongue out towards the witch.

“That’s not a natural light.”

Alana’s teasing smile returned. “It’s not, knight.”

“What is it?”

“It’s the eyes of the owl. He allows us to see in the darkness.”

“The eyes of the owl?” Maxwell murmured. His interest grew as he remember Alana’s visitor. “Is that spell related to that man?”

Alana’s steps halted and she stiffened. The knight and Her cocked their heads at the witch.

“Who is he, Alana?”

She turned her body to Maxwell, eyes glued to the dirt. “He’s the man who taught me everything I know.”

With that she turned and continued forward.

He silently followed.

Time was hard to track in the blackness. Maxwell’s eyes scanned the dark army of trees countless times as they pushed forward. But soon he saw another light. It grew larger and larger as they walked. Buildings began to take shape ahead.

“It would be best if I stayed out here.” He stated flatly as his steps halted. Alana turned to him and smirked. “Don’t worry, Maxwell. This is an alchemist town. They’re weird people, but they’ll probably be more welcoming to you.”

A ghost of laughter and cheering whispered to the trio.

“The stars have aligned for us, too. There is an annual celebration here, so many of them will assume you’re dressed for that.”

Maxwell narrowed his eyes in uncertainty, but Alana gave him no time and continued forward. With a breath Maxwell followed her downhill and into civilization.

...

The sight was exhausting, overwhelming. Maxwell felt his energy drain as he watched the street activity. Children eagerly dashed down the cobblestone roads, laughing and chasing one another. Groups of men and women laughed and drank excessively at the various bars the trio passed. The knight looked to Alice, who still peacefully slept in Alana’s arms.

The joys of being a heavy sleeper.

Maxwell looked over his shoulder. Far behind them was an army of tents and sparks.

How romantic!She threw Her arms out and latched onto Maxwell as he walked. “If only it was the two of us!She rubbed Her head against his chest and looked up to him. “Perhaps when our mission is done we can go on a special date like this.”

She pursed Her lips. “I know you don’t like the crowd. We can always enjoy these things from a distance too.”

“That does sound fun.” Maxwell whispered.

“Maxwell?”

He blinked and looked to the witch. She stood before a three-story brick building, eyebrows raised. “Something sounds fun?”

“No, I was just-.”

Alana smiled. “You know, I did think you sounded young. I guess this kind of thing is exciting. Maybe you can take Alice if time allows it. Come on now, we’re here.”

Alana descended a small set of stairs before her, towards the building’s entrance.

I still don’t understand this woman, Max. She’s both suspicious and kind. Do you know what to make of her?”

The knight shook his head and followed.

A bell chimed as Maxwell pushed the door open and they entered.

The smell was immediately nostalgic to the knight.

Books.

The scent of pages lingered in the air as he took in the small isles that lined the shop before him. He couldn’t help but smile.

There’s my cute knight I love so much!” She teased.

“Welcome!” A woman’s voice called.

Maxwell’s gaze snapped to his right, behind the front desk. A blonde woman rounded the corner, her hair tied into a ponytail that brushed her neck. Her yellow eyes widened when she saw them.

“Alana?”

The witch smiled. “It’s good to see you again, Rebecca.”

The woman leaned on the desk and placed her head on her palms. “No kidding! It’s been a while. Are you here for the festival?” He eyes drifted to Maxwell and she smirked. “Did you pick him up there? That’s a really good costume!”

Alana laughed. It surprised Maxwell how happy the witch sounded. “No, he’s helping me with something important.” A warm smile formed on her lips as she looked down to Alice.

“She’s very cute. Is she your daughter?” Rebecca asked as her eyes bounced between the knight and witch.

Alana looked to her friend and shook her head.

Something in the room changed. Maxwell could not figure out what, but the warmth was now absent.

“I need to talk with you, Rebecca. Can we stay here for a night?”

The woman immediately nodded. “Of course, follow me.”

...

Maxwell sat on the window sill, looking out at the night sky. Beyond a handful of roofs the bright light of the festival shone. The occasional laughter filled the air.

A small breath caught his ear and he looked to Alice. She stirred, but remained asleep on the bed.

Who do you think this Rebecca is?” She asked as She found Her seat on the other side of the window.

“I’m not sure. But she knows Alana pretty well, so it would not surprise me if she was another witch.”

What do you think is going on with Alice?”

“The girl is in some danger. To me it looks like Alana cares for her. Either way we’ll protect her. All we can do now is wait for them to finish their talk.”

She turned Her gaze outside. The festival lights giving Her pale skin a soft, warm glow. Maxwell felt his cheeks redden. “This place sure is different from the last.”

He remained silent and She looked to him, brushing Her hair from Her eye. “What’s wrong, Max?”

“I’m confused.”

“Confused?"

“Cleo and Alice were able to perceive you, and Oglal seemed terrified of you.” Maxwell looked down to his hand, moving his fingers. “Then I black out, and awaken to Oglal’s corpse. I feel like I’m separated from my body. A stranger to it.”

He looked to Her. She gave him a smile, blue eyes holding a frigid, yet loving glow. The lights of the festival were absent; the streets silent.

Are you scared of me, Max?”

“No.” He said flatly. “We’ve been together for as long as I can remember. If you wanted to harm me you would have already. It just annoys me not knowing, and others being able to see you…”

Jealous?”

“Take this seriously.”

She smiled and closed Her eyes, taking a breath. “I’m like you, Max. It’s not like I have some grand understanding of the world. I live in it, like you. I’m just not part of the material. I don’t remember much before this.”

“Much?”

She ran Her hands down Her legs, pulling them to Her chest. The moon’s cold glow emphasized Her skin’s smooth perfection. A sadness filled Her eyes. “It was dark and I heard crying. I don’t know who it was, but my heart ached.” She placed Her chin on Her knees and smiled. “That’s why I always sleep with you. When I’m alone it’s painful. The nightmares haunt me. We are very alike are we not?”

“Maxwell?”

He and Her looked to Alice, who sat up and rubbed her eyes.

“How are you, Alice?”

“Where is Alana at?”

“She had someone to talk to, so she left us here.”

Alice slid off the bed and looked out the window.

A loud bang filled the air.

Surprised, Maxwell reached for his sword and looked outside.

Fireworks burst in the sky, lighting the city streets and bringing loud cheers.

The grogginess left Alice’s eyes.

“Oh! Can we go down there?! Can we?!”

Maxwell felt reservation in his heart, but Alice’s bright face was too much to deny.

She smiled at the two of them.

 

3