12 | The Witch’s Apprentice and the Fallen Stars
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cumulus

She smiled as the warm breeze brushed her skin. Arms and legs outstretched, the child stared at the open blue sky and let the grass tickle her. Insects buzzed and birds chirped. With a light heart she laughed and rolled through the green.

“Alana!”

The child’s mouth curled into a smug grin. “Over here!”

Her father quickly appeared over the hill top and sighed. “Why must you always run off like this?”

Knowing her father’s patience, she sat up and pursed her lips. “You always get called away, dad! It’s boring just sitting and waiting.”

He took a breath, placing his hands on his hips. Alana’s father was the type of man who understood a lot. Having never seen her father frustrated, it did not surprise her that he took her childish complaint seriously.

“I understand that at your age this stuff may seem boring, but it’s important to know. One day you’ll understand. Trust me.”

Alana furrowed her brow in confusion as an alien, cold wind tickled her. She hugged herself and looked down the hill. A man and child walked through a set of naked trees that did not belong.

“Who is she, dad?”

“Hm?” He blinked and followed Alana’s gaze. “Oh, she’s going into classes now.”

“When do I get to go down there with the other kids?”

“I would think having the luxury of being taught by your parents would be nice.”

Her eyes fell back to her father, whose shoulders slumped. Alana jumped to her feet and eagerly embraced him. “Of course! You’re the best teacher, dad!”

He laughed and rubbed her head. “I understand you want to play. Don’t worry, you’ll all be together soon enough. Now come, let’s finish your lessons.”

Days of rain and thunder passed as Alana dragged herself through her studies. Finally, at the end of the third week, the weather had begun to return to normal. Awake and moving before the sun, she yawned. In any normal day she would be upset, but the fresh smell of morning dew made her smile. Before her was the school. She focused her gaze between the buildings and to the playground. Few lights were on in the property, but she could still make out structures in the mist.

She easily vaulted over the fence and progressed. Concrete turned to gravel and Alana kicked her feet through its sinking surface, enjoying the sound and weight of the small rocks. She looked to the various playsets before her. Swings, slides, monkey bars, all these things were cluttered under the shadow of a massive tree. Arms behind her back, Alana bounced forward to the tree.

To her surprise someone was there.

A child sat at its base, hugging her legs and burying her face in her knees. Alana’s interest grew when she saw the beautiful blonde hair. It was the woman from before! They were both new, so getting along would be easy!

“Good morning!” Alana said. Her voice shaking more than she would have thought.

Electricity yanked the girl’s body. Alana’s mouth hung open, unsure of what to do. Finally, the girl looked up to her with tired yellow eyes. The sight confused Alana so much she barely registered the girl’s question. “W-Who are you?”

“I-I’m Alana! You.”

“R-Rebecca.”

“Your eyes are beautiful!” Alana yelled.

Red formed on Rebecca’s face and Alana smiled, happy to see life return to the girl. Pushing aside any doubts, she sat shoulder to shoulder with Rebecca. “Why are you out here so early?”

No response.

Not letting herself falter, Alana continued. “I came out here cause I’m really shy. I mean, father will keep me busy with studies, so this is my best time to play. But I’m not good around a lot of people. I get nervous so…”

“Father?” Rebecca asked.

Alana nodded her head. “My dad. He can be really strict, but he does his best at teaching me things.”

Rebecca’s eyes watered.

“I-I’m sorry!” Alana stammered, not really sure why she was apologizing. “Are you having a hard time too? Look, I can see if dad would help! He’s really smart!”

Rebecca finally freed her gaze from the gravel and looked to Alana. Her eyes grew wide with fear. Confusion stirred Alana’s gut until she heard the voice.

“How are you two doing?”

“Oh!” Alana eagerly leapt to her feet, spun towards the playground’s entrance, and leaped into her father’s arms. “Dad! This is the girl we saw the other day! Her name is Rebecca! She’s really nice, but I think she’s having trouble studying. Can we help her?”

Alana’s father rubbed her hair and leaned towards Rebecca. “How are you, Rebecca?”

The girl remained silent, hugging her legs tighter.

“She’s really shy, dad.”

He stood tall and smiled. “That’s okay. It can be hard for children when they’re away from home.”

Alana looked behind her father, seeing two men in black robes walking towards them.

“Who are they, dad?”

He looked where Alana pointed and smiled. “Teachers. Today is a ceremonial day. The students here get to practice visualization.”

Alana felt excitement swirl in her gut. “Visualization?! Finally!” Her eyes bounced to Rebecca, whose skin grew deathly pale.

He patted Alana’s head again. “Let’s head home and get to it huh?”

“I don’t get to do it with everyone else?”

“No. You’re in a more difficult course, so we have to do it at home.”

“Oh… Okay.” Alana replied, feeling herself deflate. Her father took her hand. “You’ll be with the other children soon, okay?”

“Rebecca is very talented as well.” One of the men said as they reached the trio. “I look forward to what she does today.”

Alana’s father gave the men and Rebecca a smile and he walked off hand in hand with his daughter. Alana watched Rebecca as they left the playground, yellow eyes meeting Alana’s, holding a fear that completely eluded her.

The preparations were complete. Alana’s father oversaw her activity. First, she had to draw the star, a complex shape that within itself held many other lines and shapes. Alana had never been good at drawing, so it took her many tried to get it right.

“Again, what does the star represent, Alana?”

“Our ancestor. Our savior. When the war in the skies began he fell to the sea. He encountered man, taking our great mother as his wife, making us direct descendants of him. When we need him we draw his symbol.”

“Very good!”

The symbol was completed and Alana sat in its center. Her father rose and placed a blindfold over her eyes.

“Now, greet him. When you come back and this blindfold is removed you will see the light.”

Hearing her father step away she began to focus, but nothing seemed to change. She smelled the candles around her, and heard her father lean into his chair. Sweat ran down Alana’s face as the worries of disappointing her father formed. Her chest pounded and she dug her fingers into her palms.

Not being able to open her eyes was difficult.

If she could place herself, she could calm her heart. Alana would be able to refocus, and try again. But she was stuck in this void, this darkness, stumbling and trying to find her way forward. Various thoughts raced through her head, forming into voices she could not control.

Rebecca.

Father.

Visualize.

Father.

Mother.

The Ocean.

Rebecca.

Below.

The days of summer.

Your creator is below.

The hill.

Her hill.

Alana focused, placing herself in her favorite area. Sweat ran down her cheeks as her skin burned and smothered her. The blindfold grew heavy, pressing painfully into her eyes.

She pressed. Visualizing herself barefoot in the soft grass, feeling the breeze of summer. Her body grew light, soft. The suffocation of the ritual began to leave her. Alana did not let her mind return. She pushed forward, walking towards the hill top. Soon the pain was gone and she examined the town and school below her. Turning, she faced her home, a massive mansion. Smiling, she turned back to the tree. She wanted to sit in its shade and look at the world below her.

But something was underneath it.

A shadow.

It was slumped forward and Alana had to squint to make out its shape.

Its body rotated, raising its head to look over its shoulder.

It had the body of a man, or at least roughly. The limbs flowed with the wind like tattered cloth.

It had the head of a wolf. Its glowing yellow eyes watched Alana with a sickening interest. Its fur and skin were decayed, melting away to show pristine bone. Its mouth hung open, showing various sharp fangs. Its tongue danced in the air as it spoke.

Child, you see me?

Alana couldn’t speak. Her blood pumped as the creature stood tall, towering over her. Large, black, crooked wings stretched from its back.

Child of mine… No…"

Her body was numb. Alana failed to realize she was on the ground. Her eyes were glued to the monster before her. Bringing its rotting snout mere inches from her face it spoke again. Tongue running along her cheek.

Little lamb. Do you wish to wallow in your weakness, or do you want the knowledge and strength of a wolf?”

Alana’s eyes snapped open. With a pounding heart she shot up, sucking in air as she looked at the room around her. The knight sat beside the window, head down and sword resting against his shoulder. Her eyes then bounced beside her, seeing Alice’s bright smile as she slept.

“I love you, mom and dad.”

The statement left Alice’s smiling lips and Alana broke into tears, fingers squeezing and pulling her hair.

 

1