Chapter 20 The butterfly which broke from its shell 6.
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Master Wei Houyu had been quite troubled lately. Or so, was summed by his most loyal and ardent well-wisher in the Weijia. He had been increasingly beguiled into running out of house, deeper into the city’s parameters, somewhere more picturesque – with countless blossoming pomegranate trees and lush, verdant canopies of ancient figs giving ample peace and sanguine serenity; the so called ‘Pomegranate Courtyard’ most famous for hosting one of the most beautiful maidens of all of Jinghai, the concubine daughter of Scholar Pang.

Master Houyu’s steward who looked after the daily correspondences between the lady Chunhua and his master was equally perplexed with this increased frequency in the, what he had earlier claimed were nothing more than, ‘fortuitous encounters between two light-hearted friends’. He had recently boasted of his master’s growth and maturity among his friends, as he had claimed that though unlike most gentlemen, he did indeed dwell amongst less proper company of ignoble courtesans and less reputable dandy sons of big houses but he had never showered affection on anyone of more reputable standing – in turn saving more good daughters from coming into the sway of his rotten peach blossoms. 

This kind of successive showering of affectionate well-wishes through gifts on a young maiden, still from the so-called old and respectable households, notwithstanding how much the aforesaid family suffered in poverty; it was all so very perplexing to his already aged heart that he couldn’t comprehend this new relationship of his master.

So, he chose to be a wise servant and ceased to think along any lines. What use was the brain in his position, one could ask, as he often did to himself. His position, he had been so gravely aware of it, was such where the eyes were needed to remain constantly on the grounds, and the ears not listening to any grave secretive sounds, and mind never overreaching to the complexity of human baseness, of, say the present kind - lack of any conscience on the part of either of the party involved. These gifts, in his eyes were mark of the shifting heart of his stone-hearted master, but could be anything else too in the world. 

While he stood near the threshold of the ‘Pomegranate Courtyard’, with his hands servilely held together on his front and eyes cast down, seldom covertly shifting them looking at the arrangements on the stone table situated in the garden.

He looked at the intricately carved pair of jasper earing laying luxuriously over soft satin casket, amongst with similarly delicate and artistic pieces of adornments, all opened for the appeasement of the maiden Chunhua, blossoming in her early youth with blushing cheeks and eager eyes. 

The setting sun painted yet quite a somber light over the merry meeting of two lovers. The man, held in his embrace the tender maiden, and the maiden equally embroiled in her passion with her shy eyes fluttering leaned her head deeply on the broad chest of the man, while a widespread of caskets and wooden boxes laid over the stone table where they both embraced.

Such deep love, such adoring eyes were put forth from the young maidens big flushed eyes that the man couldn’t bring himself to reproach his self and simply stare adoringly at his treasure which he had found in so much turmoil. Such a pearl – how could it not be owned by him?

“Master, there is urgent news! The house is in jeopardy, the old master has issued an order to call back everyone urgently!” A sudden shout broke the soft picture, pushing the maiden to jarringly pull herself on her feet and straighten her apparel, while the man looked on harshly at the face of the intruder. 

“Hong Tao, what’s the matter? Slowly recount everything. Look at what you sound like. Speak clearly!” Master Houyu stood up looking dissatisfied with the new persons attitude, yet, looking at the flushed and panting face of the young man who stood leaning on the courtyard’s door, he didn’t completely reprimand him for showing such disrespect.    

“It’s the house master! A revenging spirit has seized the house! The old master is injured, the young masters have fallen one after the other. I was called to call master to get back and seek support!”

“What revenging spirit? Are you out of your mind, Hong Tao, look at what you are –

Suddenly there was a stirring in the air, and a thunder clapped harshly in the clear evening sky. Soon, in front of the bewildered gazes of the courtyard’s resident, the dark clouds started gathering in a strange order at the far distance. Billowing winds, chilling and dry. The sky which was clear a moment before was soon covered in churning motions of dark, black clouds.

Before the sun had completely set, there was no light left. A ray here, a ray there pierced through the dark cover raging with thunderous charge. The motion was so large, and gave no one a moment to comprehend. The world looked as if it had been swallowed in a catastrophe as the sky piercing thunder bellowed ferociously, and rain clouded the sight. 

“Master, please hurry! There might be something wrong in the house!” The panicked voice of the steward echoed in the courtyard, as did the lady’s startled cry of distress. She gave her companion no time to support her as she fell down on the ground fainting. Her maids nervously jumped to support her figure under the harsh instructing shouts of Mater Houyu as he  saw himself off from the gate, followed by panting figure of the teenager Hong Tao and more mature and cautious steps of the steward.

As the figure rushed away, the beautiful maiden who had fallen apart unconscious signaled her maids to leave her be, each receding swiftly to their original positions. Chunhua unhurriedly stood up on her feet, walked to the stone table, her face contorted.

Showered in the faint drops of rain, pitter-pattering on her smooth skin down her eyelashes falling onto the ground; her figure looked starkly different from the small young maiden who had earlier cradled her weak self in more mature and stronger arms. Her eyes shined more brightly as she took a look at what had been left behind by her master. Left a little separated from the rest, glowing in the murky dishonest light, raised above to a more visible position once held in her glowing pale fingers drenched with moisture – Chunhua raised the ring, a small simple piece of green jade, unremarkable when looked against the rest of the gold and silver flaked headpieces and necklaces studded in shining jaspers and corrals.

She smiled lightly then looking at the head maid besides her she gestured her to come closer. Then mischievously showing her the ring she called out.

“Look, what day it is today. Here, my lovely little darling! Here, at last.”

“Congratulations to her ladyship. We are ready on your command.” The maid gracefully bowed looking equally unperturbed and unflushed as her mistress looking at the insignia shining on the ring. At last, after two decades there was a time when they could clearly see themselves confronting the giant overhead. What did it matter that the servant and mistress were equally liable of leaving their lives at the feet of Wei house! The revenge of the clan, that’s the revenge of the clan! 

“Go. How wonderful, at last he started. Weijia shall pay. It shall pay, in hefty dues, it shall settle my burning heart, my raging blood! And today itself! Such good news my lovely Chuntao. Look at this lovely gift! I had never received such a pleasurable gift from any of my patrons, you must know right? Master Houyu, really knows how to please a maiden's heart. Let’s go then, let's not spoil masters wishes. Let’s see that there is as much bloodshed as was in my hometown ten years ago!”

There were pattering of several footsteps, joined by several others. Many black-cladded, heavily shrouded men with their faces covered and shining blades in their hands swiftly rose up over the courtyard roof, all decisively moving towards the same direction – the raging storm eye.  

*

 

“Your highness the second prince, please don’t step outside tonight. The whether has taken a strange turn for the worst, it looks like a storm.”

The long fingers gracefully pouring tea, halted for a while, then as if resuming its earlier order and grace poured a stream of hot tea letting out a wisp of vapor curling around like a struggling ribbon billowing in the wind and then fading away into the air. Few ambers of coals agitate red, scattered in sparks of fire in the brazier.

The warmly lit personal chamber of the esteemed figure, looked rosy and welcoming to the eyes. The straight figure gently traced the edges of his cup, his eyes gravely deliberating on the slight ripples that erupted inside the tea-cup as he shook his hand. 

“Number one hasn’t come back yet?”

“No, your highness.” The earlier voice echoed respectfully as he bowed his head in the direction of the sitting figure, enjoying his tea alone in the chamber. “There hadn’t been any words brought back today. Perhaps something happened, he had never been this late in relying his reports.”

“You don’t have to speak up for him, I know.” The eyes turned gentle but kept looking at his hand. “There might be words soon. I guess. Though that is quite unlikely, in such a weather. Has Wei Ziya stepped out since that day we met in the marketplace?”

“No, your highness. There wasn’t a sign of her intending to go out since then. It is said that she has been since busy looking after her grandmother who has taken ill after the Remembrance Day of her two daughters.”

“Alert your people to strengthen their surveillance, you shouldn’t be easy on that. Apart from that I don’t see why the bedrest happened at such an opportune time. Our departure to the north city has been delayed. Say, is someone aware of our arrangements and warned the old matriarch? There might be some other changes going on that we are unaware of. And yes, she – hasn’t she changed quite a bit since our last encounter?”

“Your highness...perhaps her ladyship has forgotten about you. After-all she was quite young at the time the two of you met. But perhaps if you recall to her ladyship, the incident of your saving grace – perhaps she might take you in a brighter light. I look at it as some misunderstandings collected from being separated for so long.”

“No, that might not be needed. What we need is but her identity. What extra efforts should I put in all of these matters that are way long settled. Look, the slight ripples in the lake might not discomfort the bottom, but any stone is a different story. Our bonding shall be at that surface level. What deep feelings, what care between husband and wife – but you should better call someone to close the windows, it appears as if the storm will be stronger than expected. Arrange some of your men amongst the people. There might be a sudden flood or other catastrophe. Save as many as you can, we can always earn some blessings. At least there shouldn’t be any casualties that could be averted.” There was still the lingering smile in his lips and eyes and a strange languor in his bearing as he raised the cup to his eye level and stilled.

“Yes…your highness.” The figure made his way out of the personal chamber. Following this departure several well-ordered maids filed in, some straightening the curtains blowing in the wind while others busied themselves in closing windows and openings and making the room as closed as possible.

At some point the embers in the brazier had stifled their last wisp of smoke and settled in grey and grainy stubs of ashes. The prince still sat in the same wandering position with his eyes curiously flipping through tea dregs. 

A sudden storm in the summer end?

“Your highness, it’s not good – 

A sudden barging footstep broke his pensive state as he raised his peach blossom eyes questioningly. 

*

 

All the eyes that could look and all the heart that could beat, stilled itself on the sky above the Wei house. The ominous swirls of black clouds circled over the region, with sparks of thunder flickering as ember from fire. The inky black clouds swirled, twirled in a raging storm over the sky, even eclipsing the view of huge mountain peaks behind the town.

As if light had completely strayed away from view, the town had stopped all work and settled in an unripe unrest that raged in everyone’s vein. Most people had taken shelter in their homes already.

But there was still many standing around the Weijia. Someone called out that all of it was heavenly rage, a disaster brought by the fatuous leaders. Each strike of the lightening echoed with increasing fear, palpitation of heart, sweating and stammering echoes of agreement with the earlier account – 

‘Yes, the heavens are angry, yes, but not over Jinghai. Don’t you see that is Wei house!’ 

‘What kind of grave sin had they erred to earn such a heaven’s calamity!’

‘What would you expect from these riches, these nobles with their nose stuck in the air! Didn’t I used to say –   

Soon the alarmed dignitaries in their horse-backs and carriages surrounded the gate of the Wei house. The voices of surrounding crowd drenching in the chilling cold of downpour and charging wind, gained momentum as more and more figures stood out in the streets and parameters overlooking the Wei house. 

“What is going on, that it has alarmed even his highness into stepping out in such horrible weather as this. Greetings to his highness.” Lord Huo looked at the figures being shaded under the swaying umbrella and looking up into the calamitous sky. His own stout figure shook in the uncomfortable cold with great distress jumping in his veins. He abhorred this weather.

There was no reply from the prince, a slight nod, and his highness remained engrossed in looking at the raging sky, an infinitely peculiar scene.  

His son, who had stood standing among the young men of some repute along with the other companions of prince’s entourage, looking at his father’s uncomfortable face, through his eyes pointed at a servant who then hurried back off. Soon a warm enough cloak covered Master Huo making his figure rounder, his hands curling in comfort with the brazier held in his hands tucked inside the cloak. He laughed happily at this show of care from his lovely son who had joined him, ignoring the slight discomfort of not being acknowledged by his prestigious highness, the second prince. 

But this laughter resounded weirdly in the solemn atmosphere turning many heads toward him. To which he settled down with an uncomfortable cough. 

“At least his lordship Huo has maintained his disposition easy even in the face of such bad weather, what else can be testament of your graces good humor. Jinghai has not seen such weathers in years, or perhaps never. What strange phenomenon abounds us, won’t you agree my friend? It appears to have alarmed everyone who could be alarmed.” The voice of Head of Rong family echoed from a distance as he joined the crowd of noblemen settling down from his carriage. Following him were his sons and an entourage of servants all struggling with umbrellas trying to keep them from floating away in the weird storm. 

Seldom, even the voices too flew away in the westerly winds creating a peculiar break between words. 

There were many struggling umbrellas floating overhead but the people who could be wet were still wet as the umbrellas overturned or slipped away from the gripping hands. But even in such bad situation, all the dignitaries kept their feet sturdy looking grave and ever-ready for this situation.

“Indeed, indeed. Never anywhere, I would add. Quite peculiar in its nature!”

Master Huo replied to his kind friend, Master Rong, and eagerly joined his steps towards him. The stout figure saluted the man in heavily layered court outfit, looking grander in his stature than the nearby standing prince in his white overalls. Besides them, joined other much graver and worried looking faces, always taking a look in the sky, then at the front door of the Wei house and then again at the thundering sky in its angry, piercing strikes.

Among them, these graver and eager faces, were the most grave and eager ones of the heads of the four families looking prudent yet unsettled still as their feet kept wanting to drag them into the eye of the storm, but senses brought them back to halting stops. But the situation had sobered many faces of jovial salutes and greetings, as more and more eyes turned towards the unmoving and heavily closed wooden gates of Wei house. 

No one could safely come close to the premises of the Wei mansion without risking flying away or being thrown with equal force leading to certain death. It was precisely swelling in a gust of wind fiercer than elsewhere as if barricading any intrusion – or any escape. 

“Someone has to take the lead.” Master Zhang looked up; his face wrinkled with worry as his white hair fluttered eagerly in the wind. “Or its result will be unbearable. There hasn’t been any response since Wei Huoyu entered the house with his men. Look, it doesn’t appear as if he has reached his destination quite safely.”

“Number three, take your men and look if you can find your way inside.” His highness the second prince instructed opening his still smiling lips but quite somber eyes, looking gravely at the purple and white thundering sky. The heads of several families as well as the city lord were all standing together besides him, all alike wearing troubled faces and jumping hearts. 

“It doesn’t bide us any good.”

“Quite ominous.”

“What if – what if it is the intention of the Lord?”

“There wasn’t any news, no. This is way to sudden.” Master Song stated.

“As if it were indeed, it would begin first with asking of our permissions! Ha! Don’t make me laugh.” Master Rong’s voice echoed. 

“You-!”

“Look at the sky? What is that? A dragon, heaven it’s a dragon! No, it’s a snake beast! Run, run for your lives! Run from here, it’s coming this way!”

A loud voice startled the seemingly silently murmuring crowd, which soon burst into action; some running, some falling down in exasperation and being shoved further down head-first into the ground – some feet cruelly stamping over fallen heads and rushing into smaller alleys and towards safer nooks.

Everything looked chaotic and the stampede erupting in the middle, rippled past towards where these dignitaries stood looking aghast at the supernatural creature floating above the Wei house. Soon, they were joined by a group of sturdy soldiers coming on their horse backs, carrying heavy shields making a circle around the nobles, their swords glistening in the pattering rain. 

"Heavens! What in the name of Lord, is that huge -"

0