Chapter 30. Yearnings
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yearning a lasting life. A plentiful life, a life full of blessings and grace. And love and peace.

Shrouded in a somber slumber shedding off a cocoon,

In the lurid smoke of ambers flickering at noon

Pallid fingers curved upon a melody on heavenly lute

Simmering under gossamers at an early breeze;

While someplace under the vines of ripened lilac blooms

Roamed a spirited past, colored in a wistful sigh.

As if the zither might set off a sudden reminiscence

Shy under the latticed veil, flowing in the pale lines of sculpted

Shapely warmth of reverie and recall all that was lost

And of value rescinding inside a  heart.

Perhaps, in an eternal wait,

To bloom in the early buds of summer shower

And flicker again in the weakened licks of night-time candle

Set past the eventide,

As weak of breath as the last note stretched into endless silence

As if the world erupted in a cacophonous close.

In the rolling clouds, swiftly gushing down the mountain peak, swirling in ripples down the waterfall, a rainbow broke off in the Imperial Pavilion. These Premises were the sheltered chambers of the most celebrated woman in the whole of the Heavenly Realm, the Empress. Her highness had been listening keenly as the nightingale spirit, settled the music of her zither and folded the seams of her nostalgic song. The sunlight swiftly cut, waving in the breeze the emerald sheen of Immortal trees broke in a heavenly melody.

“Mother Empress, she cannot be found.”

“I know. And you, a fool, let her escape, I know that too. Don’t tell me, you haven’t thought of this when we, your father and I invited her to palace?” The Empress of the Heavenly Realm, bent down over her bunch of flowers, arranging them into a weave. With a wave of her hand, her maids and the Nightingale spirits made their way out of the Pavilion.

For a long while when she meditated and cut the thorns of her flowers no one spoke. Peeling the leaves of the blooms finally, she replied, without tilting her head upward to gaze at the bowing child. Her long nails swirled in purple aura, which soon enveloped the whole stalk and froze its life, creating an eternal frozen specimen. Unalterable. “She might have been a child in our eyes, but don’t forget who her father is. Okay, go to your father. Don’t come telling me this, I cannot help you here. Go, if you hurry you might not earn more punishment.”

“But mother –

“No. This is the end of the matter. I am not ready to listen to anything more.”

The child with a head flowing with silver hair, his emerald eyes shining brightly in the open pavilion flooded with early beam of warm light. But his crowded eyebrows gravely bunched over his temple. He rose over his feet, the cold touch of the marble over his knees still leaving a floating ache.

He didn’t walk away at that moment, but silently observed his mother. His highness the fifth prince and the only child of the Heavenly Empress created with her own spirit, unlike her eldest child who was born of a conjugal blessing First Prince Mingwei, was renowned as a silent prince.

His temples, covered in intricate wreaths of frozen silver jewels dangling with emerald stones broke into spectacular sight, striking amongst his jewel like yes, as if playing hide and seek. But there was nothing playful in his face, his taut and paralyzed features spoke of his grave bearing.

And the hands he always held over his natal sword, his nervousness.

He kept there, still as a stone. His floating hair, flowed in the air. Some anguish had a hold of his eyes as they looked at the woman busy weaving out of immortal grass and blooms.

“Mother.”

There was only silence to this pleading address. The hard snap of the stem of one bright red rose like immortal flower broke the silence and encouraged the prince to go on.

“Mother, please forgive your son this time. I have been on guard against this situation, since the start. I cannot make out how she made out. Princess Jingwei, hasn’t been reported to have awakened any inheritance according to the insights. How the Imperial guards were befooled or bewitched, it still is being investigated. You know, I cannot go to father in my current state.”

“hmm. Yes, I do. And I also know, your father’s expectation regarding this. Your father wants a guaranty for the upcoming siege over the Western Mountains. High goddess Jingwei, was to be alive and fort his her father’s army might have exchanged the seal. Now, she is lost. When the God of war returns, he will not question whether it was her intention to run away from Heavenly realm, but how that situation came about. You have left no way out for your father, except to tear away his face and confront the God. Was it wise of you to sleep while letting not even a full-grown goddess to steal away form such tight security?”

“Mother!”

“Someone will take the blame, my child. Unfortunately, you were not good enough at your job. I cannot do anything to help, son.”

“Please, Mother Empress...”

The boy abruptly fell on his knees and kowtowed. His head, banged against the cold stone and colored it bright red upon the impact.

“Guard, see his highness off. No one is allowed to come to my pavilion today, or tomorrow. I am going to retreat for a while. Don't ring me if it isn't urgent.”

*

“Your highness, Princess Jingwei was found to have left the Heavenly Realm.”

“Abducted?” The maiden leaning over the looking mirror, took a surprised glance at the kneeling servant. Her hands which were reaching out for the headdress, halted suspended in the air.

“There has been no such news from the Spring Domain. It might have been…her own initiative.”

“Okay, okay. How many more surprising news are we going to hear today? Has she been traced back, yet or don't tell me she was successful in her flight?” Once again, the woman peered into the bewitching face in the looking mirror, her amber eyes melting into a satisfied look of self-appreciation as she ran a finger tracing her face, teasingly over and over again on the cold glass piece.

“Not yet.”

“Why not? Don’t tell me, the Golden Immortals of the Heavenly court cannot even trace a child god?” With a mocking sneer over her lips, she gave a look to the servant who immediately bowed his head.

“Perhaps, Her highness Jingwei took some sacred artifacts for counter-tracing. She hasn’t been spotted, but the Heavenly witch has divined that she is headed north. She is most likely to go to the battlefield.”

“What a fool! She is always so ready to end her life! If she is so suicidal, why doesn’t she come to me, I will always fulfil this wish of her with great pleasure!” Looking at the wrinkled scorn in the mirror and not appreciating its silhouette, the Dragon princess, straightened her expression. There was no longer any outward emotion over that fair, moon like face but only that natural flair bestowed upon her at birth. She doesn't like seeing ugly lines on her faces. What does it matter whether Jingwei was gone or not. Father has already promised to give her a new palace, and she wasn't ordered to watch over that brat, wasn't she? She was lost, then be lost forever. Whether she died or not is no longer her concern. 

“Nice. You can go. I don’t need you here. It’s not like I can do anything about it. She runs away, if she wants to. Should I be expected to follow in her steps and chase her to battlefields? And wasn’t she already expected to go with that pariah, that Southern queen. She is simply saving her neck from future humiliations, good for her. Go away, you are making my morning surly. And don’t touch anything here when you go back on your way. I don't like any other traces other than mine in here.”

Sitting over the cozy seat wrapped in the softest of fabrics, the Princess lingered her fingers over the huge glass mirror for a while, before finding her way past the other mirrors to a seat besides the pool of stagnant waters blooming with white water lilies. With a slight flicker of her finger, the charms churned the water and then froze them into the clearest of the gazing mirrors.

Making herself more comfortable over the seat, the Princess began her days routine of peering at her peerless beauty.  

Soon the receding steps of the servant fell into the princess ears and smiled at herself delightfully.

“Pretty aren't we, are we not!”

“As always.”

The figure from the mirror rose from the water, embracing the beguiling princess, as giggles erupted amongst the millions of cut diamond like jewels engraved over the dome of the chamber.  

*

In the Heavenly court, the morning brought in grave faces and taut backs. The courtiers and the few ladies in waiting’s accompanying their mistresses all looked troubled, gazing at each other’s faces for some consolation, or rather an explanation but were met with the same bewilderment mirroring in them as well. All the colorful fabrics collected together in the solemn White hall, adding life to it, but the huge black chains hanging from the dome swirled menacingly. As if they could sense the discomfiture of the Gods and Goddesses standing around itself, it began to shake more vehemently, taunting the viewers. a few thunderclaps stole into view from the dome.

The severe white of the hall, and the white throne perched at the top ran a solemn chill through the gathered crowd. Unknowingly many heads, settled down their wandering gazes and a silence more somber filled the hall. Many heads bowed in awe. Many in submission, as the chill of the upcoming gravity fell over them. Not even the chain could arouse their curiosity.

The emperor entered with his entourage, his aura heavily pressing the audience until the morning greetings replaced the grave atmosphere.

“Long live his Highness, the Emperor. Long live the Queen Dowager.”

“Raise.” The speaker was the personal attendee of the Dragon Emperor.

And then, without any cue, little by little many tablets were placed over in front of the Emperor. As he bent over the black jade tablets, the pressure of his aura filtered past little by little and settled down.

Seeing the lightening air, the Ministers from the several chambers all looked at the face of the busy Emperor.

“There has come a notice of absence from the Spring Domain. Approve it, as her highness Jingwei as safely made her way to the Northern Frontier. The entourage of the Queen perhaps, will not have the grace of accompanying the High Goddess of Spring’s Daughter.” The Emperors, attendee spoke.

There was not a single voice raised in reply.

“The Western Army is about to move to the Norther Frontier. Approved by Princess Jingwei, the holder of Western Seamless Seal. Ordered to let go, unimpeded towards the north in the coming aide. Along with that, the southern Kingdom has also asked to send ten million of their mature soldiers. Approved. The Eastern Kingdom will send three million of their well-trained soldiers. Approved in the light of current situation. The Heavenly army will itself send five million of their well-trained monks for the battlefield, to accompany the Queen Silver. Approved.”

The same attendant announced the approval of the several black jades one by one, as they passed through the fingers of the Emperor.

“Your highness! But so many soldiers – who will lead them?” Queen Dowager looked through the beaded screen as she spoke.

“Prince Mingwei, preside over here!” The cold voice of Emperor rose in the White palace for the first time. Many faces faded in color at the name. The rose like blush faded from the fair cheeks of her Highness the Empress, as she gazed at figure making his way down the several high columned balconies barred with marble balustrades, stepping down the stairs down into the audience hall and bowing to the Emperor.

“No!” Empress couldn’t help raising her voice. Her voice garnered her the attention from all of the flustered faces around the court. “Your highness, our son is still not old enough to venture to the harsh Norths. We cannot expect him –

“You forget my love, princess Jingwei is still in her childhood. Where she can venture, I believe is easily achieved by my son her fiance. Don’t worry, her highness the fifth prince will also accompany him on this journey.” For the first time, the emperor raised his voice as he addressed the flustered Empress.

“But still –

“Go on. Mingwei, assure your mother that you are ready.”

“Mother Empress, father, please rest assured I will lead the army to a victorious return. As the First Prince of the Heavenly Realm, I will fulfil my duty to the end of my breath…mother.”

That is how you say it, but I expect more. You, my son are going to lead and not embarrass yourself or our clan in front of my old friend and your teacher the High God of War. Promise me!”

“Yes!”

“The town of Fa has been besieged. The demons are rampant even in the Northern mainland. There has been news that the barrier of northern Trench was breached and some people not from our world have breached through. The fight has filtered down inside from the Abyssal sea and the Deep Trenches inside the mainland. The God of War is joined by the Elder Gods and High Gods to seal the realms. In the meantime our Prince, will reinforce any attack that will pass through the trenches. In such perilous times, we call upon the rest of the Heavenly realm to do their best and fight for their motherlands. Though I cannot leave this throne unattended, but on my behalf – I hereby send my blood and flesh, my most worthy son the First prince Mingwei as my representative to join the God of war in this war. May they soon come victorious!”

“Disperse!” The attendant rose his vigorous voice and the several figures vanished into smokes.

 *

“You are going away?” The pale and luminescent arms clutched the firmer hands. The force wasn’t strong. Almost as if the butterfly had touched and graced its presence a little longer than in her nature.

“I must.” Mingwei looked at the maiden clutching his arms. The little rose, his little rose.

“You might die.” The protest in the flooded eyes held his suspended guts and his heart bet with unconventional force, as if breaking the boundaries and reaching out. He looked deeper and let his self melt in those veridian eyes, their long lashes perching above the tips of his heart. He had lingered a little longer, he can linger a while more in them and then find his way out of this almost fantasy like world. Her warmth, her touch and her embrace.

'Let him linger a while longer, so that he might get a taste of those lips and wish a fulfilled death.'

“I might.” He spoke affirmatively as if asking for more pity, for more grace for more love from those eyes. Love without boundary. Love, deep enough to leave behind her self, her existence and only remember his name!

He was hungrily begging for those eyes to linger with their whole might over his hunched shoulder. At this moment, he even felt triumphant over his sad fate that forced him to death. He was going to his death, and this was the last banquet. This was the only grace he had ever desired!

The tender eyes flooded with pain and love and flooded out down those blushing cheeks. Before they could fall over the ground blooming with vibrant daffodils, Mingwei caught them in between his fingertips.

“Will I meet you again?” she was begging for his assurance, and he was not going to give her pleasure of that assurance. He didn’t have enough power in his entity that could assure this request. It wouldn't be a good thing to meet again. 

Perhaps she was aware of this and didn’t want to embarrass him, she leaned her head and laid them over his shoulders.

“Mingwei…”

“Hmm.”

“I might be gone before you can come back.”

“Hmm.”

“I might not be able to come back.” She raised her head and looked closer at his cheekbones. Felt his warmth, and felt her own shudder from the deepest corner of her heart. She who had failed in her quest to kill the Prince of the Heavenly Realm.

“I know.” He knew. He had known this fact since the day he fell on his knees, begging and urging his father Emperor to let him go to the borders. He knew it since the day he had seen his lover peel off her skin and show him her real form.

“You know, I know, but we cannot change anything, can we?”

“Hmm.” From the day they were born, they had this deep line drawn in between them. If he was a little ignorant of the fate of his people, or he was not the eldest son of the Heavenly Empire, he could forgo and forget everything. Even the debt of blood in between their two clans. But he knew it all. And above all, he knew her too. However much weak she shows herself to be in front of him, he knew she wouldn’t shy away from putting a knife on his back and carry out her revenge. Even now he could feel that cold, poisoned blade tucked away in her bosom. But perhaps, today she might not take that out. He had already promised her his life. There was no reason for her assassination.  

It was fortunate for him that they had fell in love. But for her, it was nothing less than a curse. And he knew of this, when he stopped the guards from searching for his betrothed Jingwei.

The silently bristling brook behind them wound around going on in its way, and a sudden bird broke into a melodious and long delightful song.

She was without doubt his enemy. The extra-terrestrial demon clan, that was advancing over his people. How many proud men and women had already fallen in the battlefield? How many more new-blood was being shed again and again? Was another town purged to ashes, when he embraced her dainty figure? How many old Gods fell to keep the mortal realm safe, while he indulged in this warmth?

He will atone. After this last embrace he will atone for his sinful wish-fulfilment, his greed with his death.

The figure stilled in his embrace, as if sensing his intention. She rose and took a deep look into his eyes. She looked on until she found that promise he had made with himself. She broke into a knowing smile. And then strongly embraced him once again, breathing in his smell.

“You go on your war, while I might go on mine. Let me tell you this secret though, or you might have known it all along, and this is not considered a secret to you…Mingwei, when I was born in the clan, my mother held me up and showed me to the rest of the clan members with so much pride in her eyes; she spoke of her promise…I was born as the next in the line as the witch of our land. It was prophesized, it was narrowed down to my birth. I will lead the clan to settle down in their own old land. Help them get their land back from the robbers, from the betrayers of the land. In the heavenly kingdom, the witch clan and the people of hope, will once again get back the fields they once owned. The lands which gave birth to their ancestors. The land which was cruelly snatched away from them.”

Mingwei listened keenly, he felt his plunging heart and the silence ringing in his mind like a throbbing bell awakening him.

“I was the hope, they christened and blessed. I was that hope until I met you. You know it wasn’t only you who slept over a pile of burning coals each night when we embraced, it was you and I all along. And it successfully subverted my beliefs.”

“I was once a hope of my people. And now I am stranded with a love in my breast. Love for you, the prince of people, who once cruelly butchered my men, butchered my women and left them astray, far away from any hope. Ironically, you successfully did it once again. You captured their hope. And I the sinner…”

“I was once the hope of my people, and now I don’t know what you have left in me.”

Mingwei didn’t dare look into those eyes. But clutched those handful of hands falling over her shoulder, kneeling down in front of her seated self, he bowed and placed a kiss on her forehead. He, knew this too. That is the reason that their entanglement has reached today. He placed another kiss on the tip of her nose and lingered there for a while as if gathering his strength.

Then with all his might he opened his closed eyes, looked deeply in those sparkling green eyes. “I promise to die, as your lover. But before that, as the prince of my people I will kill as many men as I can lay my hands on.”

The pain and anguish that was reflected in those eyes, reflected along with this bending silhouette, settled with the rustling of the breeze in the canopy of the forest. Several yellow blossoms floated over the brook, some faltering over their figure, floating down over their embracing figure.

There was a wishful sigh in the air. 

 

0