Rising from the Abyss – Chapter 54
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Bubbling Brook was more than just a name. It was situated in an area of the campus that Yaric had never been to, filled with sprawling buildings surrounded by lush gardens. Hiawatha had quickly explained that the buildings sitting along wide, tree-lined roads were the private residences of faculty members that chose to live on campus. The entire area had a quiet and peaceful feel to it, so much so that Yaric didn’t even blink when Hiawatha led him to a large park, right in the middle of the area.

Perfectly manicured lawns lay across very gentle hills, filled with trees and flowers, each artfully planted to maintain a more natural feel. Many of the trees had wide, sheltering canopies, creating extensive shaded areas all around the park. Exotic birds strutted around on the ground, occasionally running between the legs of small fallow deer. A wide pond sat on one side, with ducks and swans gently gliding across its surface.

And running right through the middle of the park was a shallow stream, babbling over smooth stones as it meandered down to the pond, its water looking inviting and cool when it passed through shaded areas, and glittering like diamonds when flowing through the sunlight. The brook occasionally split into two or even three, forming small islands connected by idyllic arch bridges. Finally, right in the middle of the park was a large wooden building, constructed like a log cabin and surrounded by tables and chairs that sat in sat in small clusters all around it.

Sven and Li Na were already seated at one of the longer tables, sitting beside their sponsors, High Wizard Sandy Ivers and High Mage Marsha Faulkner. Large pitchers with various drinks sat on the table, filled with ice, along with two mini kegs and bottles in buckets of ice. An exotic collection of finger foods was arranged across the table to complete the spread.

Hiawatha nudged Yaric forward then turned and started walking away without another word, leaving Yaric to deliver Lloyd’s message. With both pairs seated opposite each other on the long benches along the sides, Yaric was forced to choose which side he would take. He went to the right, where Sven and Mersha were sitting.

“Sorry, Llo… High Wizard Chen said that he had to keep another appointment first, and that he’d be late.”

Mersha looked disappointed, but Sandy scowled. “Appointment with who?”

“I’m sorry Council Head, he didn’t say.”

“Hmmm… I’m sure he’ll explain himself when he arrives. Sit,” Sandy added, gesturing to the other side of the table.

Yaric stepped over the bench and took a seat, nodding awkwardly to the others as he did, receiving a smirk from Li Na at his discomfort while Sandy and Sven sat quietly.

Mersha had no such qualms. “Good to see you again,” she said, leaning forward to greet Yaric from the other side of Sven.

“Good afternoon, High Mage Faulkner.”

Mersha looked away and giggled. “So formal… not this again. Though I suppose having the Council Head at the table makes it difficult.”

“I do no such thing,” Sandy replied, pretending to be offended.

“Don’t mind Yaric,” Li Na said, “he’s always like that.”

“Formal and uptight?” Mersha asked teasingly.

“No, awkward and self-conscious,” she replied, trying to hide a smirk and watching Yaric from the corner of eye when the others started laughing. “He’s the most informal person you will ever meet. Wait until you hear what happened with Arch Wizard Phelps.”

Even Sandy’s eyes grew wide, and both of the women looked to Li Na with rapt attention. Yaric slunk down on his bench, seeing the familiar pattern play out as all three of the ladies began to laugh and joke about his missteps over the years. Only Sven stayed quiet, sitting companionably beside him. Yaric was just happy that Lloyd hadn’t arrived yet.

Lloyd might have still been missing, but everyone was still laughing when Lauren arrived along with High Wizard Jerold.

“Good afternoon, everyone,” Jerold said when they reached the table, taking a seat along with Lauren, who sat opposite Yaric.

“Good afternoon, Council Head, High Mage Faulkner,” Lauren said, just before sitting herself.

Yaric felt his jaw drop when everyone greeted her back, saying nothing about her formality.

“We were talking about the lost puppy,” Li Na said, leaning around Sandy, as if that explained everything.

Lauren’s eyes flicked to her side to glance at Yaric. “What happened?”

“Lots. But we were talking about the older stuff before our guiding hand helped him learn to crawl.”

“Ah, ok,” Lauren replied, sounding relieved.

“What?” Yaric objected, looking from person to person. “I’m not that bad!”

He realized how he sounded just before everyone started laughing again.

They were still laughing when Sandy suddenly looked up, her face instantly serious. She stared into the distance for a moment before looking between the other sponsors.

“Keep the students here, I will be back. And don’t leave!” she ordered, already standing up and rushing away.

“What was th…” Mersha asked, trailing off and looking into the distance at the same moment as Jerold. “Huh, that can’t be good.”

“Who would try something like that in the middle of the campus?” Jerold asked softly.

“Someone with a death wish, that’s for sure.”

The four students were looking between each other in confusion, but they weren’t overly concerned about sudden problems for the Council to deal with. Someone had likely been caught cheating at cards or something.

Then Yaric caught sight of fireballs rising into the sky over Lauren’s shoulder, slowing as they went, only to pause and hang for a moment before arcing back down the way they’d come. Sven and Mersha noticed as well, followed by Lauren and Jerold when they saw the others staring at the sky behind them.

Muffled booms started echoing a few seconds later.

“Yup, someone is dead,” Mersha whispered.

“Is this common?” Lauren asked.

Jerold looked uncharacteristically serious as he replied. “You know how serious fighting is for students?” he asked rhetorically. “But how you can be expelled if you use magic of any kind against another student? Well, someone is using fairly serious magic in a residential area. Their career is likely over, and they will be facing a tribunal. I can’t remember a fight like this ever happening before.”

Ice started clinking in the pitchers, ripples forming across the liquid as the ground rumbled faintly, sending some the birds on the pond skimming along the surface and into the air.

“I’d hate to see what sentence they get,” Mersha added. She looked up, taking in the scene all around them, but she wasn’t looking at all the shocked faces or furious discussions going on at the other tables. Picking up a small piece of fruit, Mersha lifted it to her shoulder and flung it away, only to see it bounce off the air a meter from the table.

“Jerold, are you shielding the whole table?” she asked, sounding impressed.

“No need to take any chances,” he humbly replied.

The faint rumbling and cracks of lightning had disappeared, leaving the two sponsors scrambling to change the subject.

Nothing worked, but Mersha was able to get the attention of a waiter, forcing the students to place their orders and allowing her to arrange for a tasting tray with some of the Bubbling Brooks’s best drinks. Things were just getting back on track when a massive dust storm started billowing over the site of the battle, causing people around them to question whether the battle was still ongoing.

“There is no point speculating,” Jerold said reasonably. “Let us just enjoy this lunch.”

“So do I need to be worried about my future apprentice?” Mersha asked Li Na, leaving her looking like a startled deer. “You seem to have a talent for knocking out team leaders,” she explained.

“Oh… ah… yeah. I mean no. I’ve never knocked out my own team’s leader,” Li Na stammered, recovering quickly.

“Still, you managed to double the old record. That’s saying something,” Jerold pointed out.

Li Na was happy to be the center of attention, and Sven acted graciously as he stoically listened to their compliments. Lauren was far more uncomfortable.

“And I understand that we have you to thank for making all of this possible,” Mersha said, turning to Lauren. “If you hadn’t set your fort on fire there would have been no chance of winning. That was some very quick thinking.”

Lauren’s face was red while she mumbled her thanks.

“Just like young Yaric,” Jerold said kindly, not wanting Yaric to be left out while waiting for his own sponsor to arrive. Lauren looked away quickly.

“Some of the minders who watch these competitions know spells that can recreate scenes. Your final battle caused quite a sensation last night. I have no doubt that it will be watched many times. The young lady was most impressive as well,” Jerold added, turning to Li Na.

Li Na was grinning widely when she opened her mouth to reply, but she was interrupted by the arrival of Sandy, striding purposefully across the park with Lloyd beside her, deep in conversation. The frown on her face was frequently interrupted by a diverse collection of mixed emotions, ranging from anger to surprise to exasperation. They both stopped talking before they were close enough to be overheard.

“Sorry I’m late,” Lloyd said, smiling at everyone as he took a seat beside Yaric. “Jerold, Mersha.”

“You’ve never once been sorry in your entire life,” Mersha replied with a laugh.

“I am if it means I miss out,” he answered, helping himself to a bottle from the ice bucket and pulling several trays of food closer, all at the same time and without touching anything.

“I hope your earlier appointment went well.”

“It couldn’t have gone much better,” Lloyd said. His voice was cheerful, but Yaric couldn’t help but feel that there was an ominous undertone. Evidently Jerold felt the same way.

“Problem?”

“Not anymore.”

“This is why I keep trying to get you to change careers,” Mersha said cheerfully. “If only I could resolve every issue with a single meeting. You’re wasting away outside the diplomatic corps.”

“And I keep telling you, I wouldn’t be a good fit,” Lloyd replied, clearly rehashing a conversation that they’d had many times.

“Politics is the art of persuasion, and I don’t know any…”

“But there’s your problem right there. Politics. We don’t mix well.”

“Agree to disagree. You’re on better terms than I am with most officials, and you have a knack for resolving disputes.”

“I doubt you would want me to bring some Baron’s house down on his…”

“Ahem!” Sandy coughed, clearing her throat loudly. “I’m sure these students are eager to find out about their rewards.”

Yaric sat bolt upright, having completely forgotten about the rewards Hiawatha had said they could expect to receive during their assessment. The whole thing had slipped his mind.

“You forgot?” Li Na asked accusingly, calling attention to his reaction.

“I was just focused on my future,” he argued feebly, getting a laugh from the others. Lauren kicked him gently under the table while Sven nudged him.

“Yes, well, your rewards may have an impact on that too,” Sandy informed them, just as their earlier orders arrived. Lloyd helped himself to one of Yaric’s plates, and several items floated off the other two plates as well.

“This is good,” Lloyd said, holding up his beer. “Not as good as Twyla’s mystery beer, but very close. It’s probably from the same place.”

Lloyd was looking at the cabin with interest, no doubt intending to go and ask. The others were switching out food, meanwhile. Lauren stole one of Yaric’s loaded potato’s, leaving behind a wafer-thin piece of steak wrapped into a roll, with cheese and mushrooms spilling from the center. Sandy waited for everyone to get settled before she continued.

“I know you are all aware that you’ve earned bonus credits, but I’m not sure that you’re aware of just how many,” she was finally able to say. “I’ve taken the liberty of checking your records. The credits for a clean victory are greater than what can be earned by winning both Solstice Tournaments in a year. With the addition of your record alone, you have more than three times as many credits as you’ve ever earned in total before now. You can each spend an unheard-of amount of time in a Tech Duinn – for Novices at least.”

“We don’t even know what that is…” Li Na grumbled. She didn’t really look upset, leading Yaric to suspect that she was simply pushing for more information.

“That’s because certain knowledge is restricted to members of the Academy. And as Prospects, none of you are legally considered full students. That, however, is also a part of your rewards. We’ve discussed this a few times since your win, and it has been decided that you four have earned certain privileges. The least of which is access to some of the knowledge that others will have to wait until their seventh year to obtain.

“It’s actually not that big of a deal,” she said sternly, looking between the smiling faces of the four students at her table. “You’re just getting access a few months earlier than anyone else, and you can’t use it. In fact, you can’t allow anyone else to know. You are not to even let anyone know that you possess this information, am I clear?”

The quartet glanced between each other, nodding in the affirmative.

“Just be aware, letting anything slip will lead to many of your rewards being cancelled. In essence, we aren’t giving you special clearance for this information, we’re effectively promoting you to Novice early, even if you won’t have the title until after the next Summer Solstice. But,” she added, now smiling widely, “you four can all be assured that you will be moving to your seventh year. That is already confirmed.

“The point earnings for the victory, as well as the record, is shared across every member of Team Shadow. The same goes for trophies and titles.”

Mersha already had a small trophy in her hands, prompting Jerold to smile and shake his head as he reached into his robes and pulled out his own copy. Sandy and Lloyd soon followed soon, leaving all four sponsors with a 15cm tall trophy.

It was an exact copy of their flag stand, showing the flags all in place. It even had the proper images depicted on each flag. Yaric was surprised when Lauren noted that the flags were also arranged as they were on the real thing. The base was made of silver, with the flag poles made of copper as were the flags themselves. The images on each flag were represented by multiple different metals, some only identifiable by their different shades, or their gloss instead of matt finish. Team Shadow’s flag, sitting in the central position and circled by the other seven, was the only flag with gold, standing in stark contrast to the different shades of silver, grey and copper.

“Channel some arcana into the pad on the base,” Jerold prompted quietly.

Lauren found the spot under her trophy and channeled a small amount of arcana, instantly manifesting the same shimmering orb of golden light that surrounded the real thing. Sparkling motes of light hung suspended within like dust, shimmering brightly in the shade of their tree.

“It works the same way as the larger copy. Wherever your team decides to display it, you can channel some arcana into the base just like this one and keep the enchantment going for as long as you’d like. Both hold approximately a week’s worth,” he patiently explained.

The students were given a moment to charge their trophies and inspect them closely, including the inscriptions with their names on the base, sitting just above the only other words. ’23 Days’.

“The individual awards come with individual prizes as well,” Sandy said, resuming her explanation. “Prospect Li Na Jakobson received an award for Command Killer. Usually when some knocks out two team leaders there is a choice between two different rewards. Because you doubled the record,” Sandy said, turning to face Li Na and address her directly, “your rewards were increased.”

Li Na was beaming at the praise, mentally guessing the possible options she would get to choose from.

“I’ve already taken the liberty of choosing for you, and I’ve pulled some strings to improve it.”

Sandy smiled at Li Na’s scowl, not looking concerned in the slightest.

“The choices are traditionally between training in battlefield assassination, which is how to target an individual and approach them unnoticed, or special training for high impact tactics – in your case, shock troops.”

“I’m no sneak,” Li Na growled.

Sandy just laughed. “No, you’re certainly not. That’s why I’ve arranged for your training already, even if it will only start after the summer solstice. Do you remember Sergeants Carl Law and Kyler Hu?”

“The trainers from Duke Anton’s army?” Li Na asked, her voice rising with every word. She was practically vibrating on the bench as she stared intently at Sandy, trying to push her to answer more quickly.

“The same.”

Li Na bounced slightly, twice.

“I’ve sent a message to Duke Anton and he’s already agreed. Both Seargeant Law and Seargeant Hu will be given special leave next year to travel here, where we will host them while they give you special one on one… two on one training. Just remember that you still have normal classes, so you’re going to have extra work to do.”

Yaric was shocked to see Li Na’s head nodding violently, with no hesitation or complaints at all over having to do extra work.

“There are also extra rewards for the leader of the winning team, and in this case, we’ve decided to extend those rewards to both effective leaders. Prospect Sven McDavids and Prospect Lauren Silver will both qualify for specialized leadership training. It’s open to anyone who qualifies from the tenth year, but starting now will mean you can take part in more advanced courses while others start the beginner’s course.

“Your sponsors have also arranged for additional rewards due to your results. Prospect Sven, you qualify for a mentorship with any crafting profession you choose. Your construction designs and crossbows…”

“Ballista.”

“…originally pushed us toward carpentry, but your sponsor assured us that you were interested in a wide range of crafts.

“Just to be clear, this is not simply classes like you can take from next year. These mentorship programs will be one on one tutelage from some of the top crafters in the Academy. Whether you want to train as a carpenter, blacksmith, runesmith or anything else, you will have dedicated lessons with the best.”

Sven looked comically shocked, obviously taken by surprise. He was looking between Sandy and Mersha, for once at a loss for words.

“You can also pick a variety of lessons if you want. Never forget that a mentorship now can potentially opens doors with those same teachers down the road. You’ll have an incredible network for a seventh year, especially if you impress your teachers,” Mersha pointed out after taking pity on Sven.

“Thank you,” he replied simply.

“Never thank someone for giving you what you yourself earned,” Mersha admonished him, smiling while she did.

Sandy twisted in her seat to face Lauren, sitting on the opposite side of her to Li Na. “I don’t know how to describe your record. It’s simultaneously the most impressive and most frustrating.”

Lauren’s hopeful smile fell slightly, prompting Yaric to return her friendly kick under the table.

“We can’t tailor a reward for a student who is good at everything. And your sponsor flatly refused to give any suggestions other than to ask you directly. The best we could do was to come up with a range of options, though anything is possible. I can arrange for specialists in your affinities to give you personalized lessons, we can have the scouts that gave you tracking lessons join the shock troops when they come here, we can even organize singing lessons, I understand you have quite some talent there as well.”

Lauren was blushing furiously now and looking flustered. It wasn’t often that she was caught out or left unable to make a decision.

“You have all year to decide what you would like. Remember, this isn’t simply special training. Whatever you choose will include some kind of mentorship and personalized program. You can even split the training into more subjects with fewer lessons in each. And we can discuss this later if you would like,” Jerold suggested warmly.

“Yes, please,” Lauren finally answered, relieved to be able to put off making a decision.

‘Or more likely to have time to research and plan,’ Yaric thought to himself, holding back his smile.

“And then we have the special awards for Prospect Yaric,” Sandy said abruptly, moving the conversation along. She hadn’t been quite as friendly when she rejoined the lunch, though discussing Li Na’s awards and definitely improved her mood.

“The ‘survivor’ award doesn’t earn you anything, not even points,” she informed him, though she was actually smiling again. “Surviving is considered its own reward, even if your sponsor disagrees.”

“Don’t look at me like that,” Lloyd said when Yaric turned his head. “I didn’t push for a reward, I tried to get you a penalty. I don’t mind you surviving, but being the sole survivor while the rest of your team was wiped out?”

Yaric’s stomach dropped despite the teasing smile on Lloyd’s face. He already knew that he’d let everyone down more than once. Lauren kicked him a second time.

“Yeah, you need a penalty. I vote we all get turns to shoot you with your bow. From close up!”

Li Na’s hopes were dashed when Sandy ignored her and continued. “Your ‘Solo Raider’ award does have rewards attached, however. There’s even a bonus for being the first ever to be awarded the prize.”

“Dirty spying sneaking scout… Should be shot…”

“I have arranged for Corporal Ilves to join us here as well. He will arrange for special one on one lessons on campus, and you will have special arrangements made for lessons off campus when necessary. As you’re the first ever recipient of this award, we’ve decided to extend the offer of an additional mentorship. It’s up to you to choose, much like Prospect Silver.”

“You can even get special lessons if you still want to learn how to play an instrument,” Lloyd added, causing Lauren to look up quickly. Yaric studiously ignored her.

“Ummm…” Yaric eloquently stammered.

“My only suggestions were to consider taking lessons that are adjacent to the scouting mentorship.”

“Adjacent?”

“Yes, things that are similar or overlap. You can get special lessons in hunting if you decide that you want to hunt down dangerous creatures. Or someone like Mersha could give you one on one lessons regarding diplomacy and espionage.”

“I’m no spy.”

“Sure you’re not.”

“Don’t sully my good name.”

“Ignore Miss Cloak and Dagger. We’re discussing your options here. And you really can pick anything. It doesn’t have to relate to the career options we discussed. You can look into crafting, cooking or construction. Some subjects carry over into almost any career. Otherwise you could look into things like inscriptions and runes if you want to take advantage of your space affinity. Maybe even think about working in the menagerie to get to know some of the monsters you might encounter if you go down the hunting route.”

“We have a menagerie?” Yaric asked is surprise. The other three students were sitting up straight as well, eager to hear more.

“Of course,” Mersha replied. “We have all sorts of beasties. Who do you think looks after all the wild areas in the Kingdom. We’re both monster hunters and sort of Kingdom wide gamekeepers as well.”

“I doubt they’re interested in your dealings in court,” Lloyd scoffed, making the others laugh. “But yes, we have an extensive collection that are cared for on campus. I can show you if you’d like?” Noting the expressions on the faces of the others, he quickly made eye contact with all four, extending an unspoken invitation to everyone.

“Yes, please.”

“Alight, you have the rest of the week off, I’ll make the arrangements. It’s only possible because of Sandy’s last reward anyway.”

“Ah, yes,” Sandy said, happy to be moving on. “This is actually your biggest reward. I’ve personally never given it out before. The award is simple enough, from now on you will each have a ‘with special commendation’ title beside your name on any identification. What that boils down to is from now, each of you will be treated as if you were one academy rank higher than your actual rank.”

“What that means,” Jerold clarified when he saw their confusion, “is that you can already be treated as if you were Novices, and next year, you will have the same privileges as Apprentices.”

“But what does that actually mean?” Lauren asked, leaving Yaric relieved to not be the only one who didn’t know.

“Right now? Not much. You’re eligible to receive certain information normally reserved for Novices, but nothing else really. Unfortunately you’re still technically not full students, so you still need passes if you want to leave campus.”

“Novices don’t need passes?” This time it was Li Na who sounded surprised.

“Not between 6am and 6pm. But they do need passes for any time outside that,” Sandy answered. “It doesn’t matter anyway, in a few months you four will be considered Apprentices when it comes to privileges and authority.”

“You can take appeals,” Lloyd stated, tired of how long it was taking Sandy to get to the point. “That’s the real benefit you will receive.”

“Yes, you can take appeals.” Sandy looked like Lloyd had just stolen her big moment. “It’s happened before, usually with someone who is exceptionally talented in a particular field. Those people will be limited to appeals within their fields of expertise. Your limitation is slightly different.”

“You can only take appeals if it’s all four of you together,” Lloyd quickly explained, his smirk giving away the fact that he had done it deliberately this time. Sandy was clearly aware as well if her glare was anything to go by.

Jerold quickly took over for them. “It will open many opportunities for you. You can earn a significant amount of credit this way, far more than you would otherwise. And the experience could be invaluable.”

“This means we can help people?” Yaric asked.

“Yes. That’s exactly what it means.” Jerold and Lauren were both smiling at the question.

“You will be limited by danger and difficulty,” Sandy informed them. “But be aware that your limitations will shift based on your performance.”

“What secrets can we know?” Li Na blurted suddenly, having held it in during the entire conversation.

Sandy looked to Li Na at the edge of the table, smiling again. “You asked about the Tech Duinn? It’s a training aid that allows wizards to practice dangerous spells without risk of injury.”

“How does that work?” Lauren asked, looking interested.

“You get full lessons on how it works before you start to use one, but in essence, it connects directly to the wizard inside and allows one to channel through the Tech Duinn instead. The Tech Duinn can teach an incredible variety of spells that are channeled through it, until your proficiency is high enough for you to cast the spells yourself.”

“Did Emil show you his big explosive spell yet?” Lloyd asked.

“First lesson!” Li Na’s eyes were glittering excitedly.

“The whole reason for doing that is to keep any of you from trying to cast your own spells too early. If you make any mistakes with some spells you could end up seriously injured, or even dead. But how can you learn without making mistakes? That’s where the Tech Duinn comes in. Besides teaching more advanced spells, you can practice the spells by channeling them through the building. There are no consequences if you mess up.

“You even get to find out what your limits are. Spend too much time practicing and you will start making mistakes due to fatigue. Anything that affects your concentration can be an issue in real life, but it can be very difficult to know where the line is. It doesn’t matter anyway; you’ll have proper lessons on the Tech Duinn. This is good enough for now.”

“The Tech Duinn is an entire building?” Sven asked.

“Yes, it’s a marvel of engineering,” Mersha replied with a smile.

“How do you connect to a building though?” Li Na asked, her face scrunched up.

“It’s a mental connection, not a physical one,” Sandy answered obligingly.

Li Na had a teasing smirk on her face when she looked at Yaric. “Sucks to be you.”

Every adult froze.

“I didn’t think of that.”

“Would it be a problem?”

“He’d be the one making the connection, surely it’s alright?”

“We’re going to have to test it.”

They all started talking at once. Yaric felt his stomach drop, the amazing afternoon quickly turning to dread. Li Na looked mortified. She’d had no idea that it could genuinely be a problem.

“Don’t stress over something that might not be an issue,” Lauren said quietly across the table. "If it is a problem, someone will fix it. But no one will need to do anything if there’s no issue to begin with.”

Yaric just smiled gratefully, but he still felt sick. ‘Can I even learn spells if I can’t use that building? What if they kick me out?’

He was quickly drawn out of his thoughts by the sight of Li Na, huddled down on the bench and staring into her drink with a horrified look on her face. Before he’d even realized what he was doing, a miniature spring roll went sailing across the table to strike Li Na in the head.

The sponsors went quiet as quickly as they’d started, staring in shock after seeing food thrown at their table. Yaric’s ears burned under the judgmental gazes, but he looked at Li Na’s scared face and ignored them anyway.

“At least you will give the building someone just as smart to talk to. You can keep it company.”

A relieved smile teased at the corners of her mouth, but she still exhaled shakily. “Yeah, well, that building knows spells fit for arch wizards. It’s plenty smart.”

By now, the adults had taken in Li Na’s expression as well and immediately forgot Yaric’s poor manners.

“You didn’t know it could be a problem,” Sandy said consolingly.

“Do you realize that no one had even considered the possibility before you brought it up. We should be thanking you.” Jerold always reminded Yaric of a gentle old man, despite only looking to be in his fifties.

“I’ve never been entirely certain that there is any protection around his mind,” Lloyd suddenly added, drawing surprised looks. Lloyd just shrugged helplessly. “As I’ve said, it kind of feels like a hole. Maybe he simply doesn’t have a mind?”

“Would explain a lot,” Li Na said weakly.

Yaric was failing to hide his grin. Lloyd had had no hesitation in throwing Yaric under the carriage to try and cheer Li Na up, and he actually found himself feeling grateful to Lloyd, and oddly closer.

Sven still watched Li Na with a concerned look, but when she noticed she just pulled a face and stuck out her tongue.

“There is another thing you can know now,” Sandy said, trying to get everyone’s attention. “Pass me your ID cards.”

All four handed them over immediately, interested to see what would happen. Sandy held each one in turn, cupping both hands over them and closing her eyes for a moment. When she was done, she handed them back to their owners.

“Do you notice any differences?”

“We have the inscription!” Lauren exclaimed, sounding very happy. Sure enough, right next to his name was the title, ‘with special commendation’. Yaric was surprised to see the other titles engraved below his name as well, including ‘Capture the Flag Winner – Record Holder – 23 Days’.

But Sandy had said ‘differences’, plural. Looking more closely, Yaric noticed that he had all five meal ribbons, and they felt different as well.

“Something changed with our ribbons.”

“Yes. You’re full students now, even if not officially. Only Prospect’s actually use meal ribbons.”

“What?!”

“Huh?!”

“Why?!”

Everyone began furiously asking questions, the issue with Yaric and the Tech Duinn forgotten.

“Quiet,” Sandy said softly, immediately silencing everyone. “It’s an evaluation, or screening if you will.”

“You were testing us? Trying to toughen us up?” Sven asked. Sven was usually polite to a fault, but the accusing tone and disagreement was evident to everyone.

“You have it backwards. The test has nothing to do with those who lose ribbons. In fact, we go out of our way to ensure that no one is ever really penalized.”

“How can you say that? If you don’t have any ribbons, you get different food.”

“Yes, but do you get worse food?”

Seeing their blank stares, Sandy just carried on. “Let me explain it this way. My favorite furniture store has a famous business strategy. They make very good quality furniture, no one is better. But there are others who are just as good. When those businesses compete, they usually bundle items together at a better price, or simply offer discounts.

“Simeon’s Furnishings are very different. Their prices are usually ten to fifteen percent more than the equivalents in the other stores, and they never give anyone discounts for anything. They also have a policy of asking their clients about the intended use of any item, and where it will be kept. Essentially, they act like they are interviewing their customers to ensure they qualify for the furniture. If any item sits on the floor for too long, they simply say that they haven’t found the right customer yet. Not that I’ve ever heard of anyone being told ‘no’.

“Over time, this has given them the reputation as the best. The peak among the premium furniture business. Their quality is no better than the other top carpenters, but simply demanding a higher price changes peoples perception. Pretending that your client is one of the few who ‘deserves’ the furniture helps as well. Today, any piece of furniture with their label is considered a status symbol and item of prestige.

“Now what was your impression when you were told that you can only have the food on one side if you have ribbons, but have to eat food from the other side if you don’t?”

“Kids…” Mersha snorted.

“But the food is different,” Yaric insisted.

“Different, yes, not worse.”

“What is the point then?” Sven asked, still sounding uncharacteristically disapproving. “To separate us by strength?”

“See?” Lloyd immediately asked. “How many times have I told you. Keep the food as it is, but stop making them sit somewhere else.”

“You know we can’t,” Sandy replied, looking exasperated. “They just share food whenever we try.”

“I still think that doesn’t change anything,” Lloyd grumbled, looking sulky.

“And to answer your question,” Sandy said, ignoring Lloyd and turning back to Sven, “the point is to identify problems before they arise. We have to give every arcanist a chance, but no one chooses who gets the ability to channel magic. Think of all the people around you before you came to this academy. Not everyone would be someone you would choose to have magic. Yet, some of those people end up being arcanists. People who will one day have the ability to shatter rock with their fists and freeze over rivers. We can’t choose who to admit, but we can choose who gets accepted and advances further.”

“So you’re looking to see who takes ribbons?”

“Mostly,” Sandy acknowledged. “Every first year is eager to take more ribbons, but you all cool down over time. As you get to know your classmates, it also becomes apparent that you are taking their ribbon to add to your own. You quickly start to learn about consequences and responsibility. Most of you stop issuing challenges and just defend your own ribbons. Tell me, when was the last time any of you issued a challenge?”

“Years,” Lauren said quietly.

“And when did any of you ever have extra ribbons?”

“Never.”

“That’s not true for everyone. There are some that never take extra ribbons. Some are excited to do so, but most of them gradually stop as they grow older and see their classmates suffer for their actions. Or at least they believe that their classmates suffer. The real problem comes with those who are ready to graduate and move to their seventh year, but still comfortably take ribbons from those weaker than them. If they’re willing to take a meaningless meal ribbon from a classmate, who is also an arcanist and can at least put up a fight, what will happen when they’re full wizards or mages and living amongst the unconnected? How could we in good conscience train such a person? But also, how can we identify them?

“I very aware that it is far from perfect…” Lloyd interrupted her with a loud snort, “… and some push for changes. High Wizard Chen protests every year. He leads something of a campaign, but no one ever has a better alternative. And make no mistake, we catch many people in the filter.”

“What do you mean?” Sven asked, not quite happy with what he’d just been told.

“You heard Wizard Asiri when she confronted Prospect Andrew. That was no accident. She was aware that you four saw the competition very differently to how he does, and she was trying to warn you. She claimed that no one had any idea of that student’s attitude until he failed last year. Well, she lied. You’re going to soon find out anyway, but take a guess as to what Prospect Andrew’s ID looks like.”

“He has all the ribbons,” Li Na offered questioningly.

“Oh, it’s more than that. Not only does he fill his card every month, but he also keeps list.”

“Of who he took them from?” Li Na asked.

“No. Well yes, I guess that too. What I mean is, he makes a list of all of his classmates and keeps a rotation - for who he will take ribbons from next. He even makes it public, so everyone is aware when it’s their turn to lose a ribbon. Prospect Andrew loves boasting about how fair and generous he is with his system. As far as he’s concerned, he’s stronger than them, so it’s his right.”

Lauren had her face scrunched up in disgust, and Yaric noticed Sven stiffen beside him. He found himself seeing Andrew in a whole new light as well.

“You all get so much power from such a young age. For some people, that leads to feelings of superiority and entitlement. I saw your faces; I have a good idea of what you think about the fairness of Prospect Andrews list. But if you were to confront him about it, your words would just go over his head, as if you were speaking two different languages. In his mind he genuinely is entitled to the extra ribbons. He would think that it’s you four who are confused. And if we were to train him as he is now, how would he treat the far weaker unconnected one day?

“I don’t want to hear about the faults with the current system. I hear them every single year. But this is the best system we’ve tried so far, and until someone has something better, it stays. If you only knew the kinds of people we’ve caught with it. And it’s my personal belief that some of your classmates who started out taking ribbons, but gradually stopped, did so because of the system. If we suddenly introduced it now, while you were all sixth years, they would be taking ribbons this month just like they did in the first year. Because they haven’t learned about how they affect others yet.”

“Separating students from their friends and making them ‘other’ is pointless and cruel,” Lloyd said. “It doesn’t contribute either.”

“Lloyd, stop,” Sandy said, using his first name and glaring at him in warning. “Not after the stunt you just pulled.”

That actually broke the tension, as everyone started trying to figure out what stunt Sandy could be talking about. Yaric looked out over Lauren’s shoulder, deep in thought.

Sighing deeply, Sandy finished off the discussion. “At the end of the day, those are the rules. We created a fake prize, and then we take note of who tries to take it. Everything possible is done to ensure that there are no victims, while those with certain personalities have a harmless outlet. And the Academy gets to see how students behave in situations where they can use strength and power to takes things from others before they’re taught how to conjure lightning or become living ballista.”

“Ballista…” Li Na whispered.

“Yes, it’s flawed. Yes, no one is really happy about it. But yes, it’s worked so far and it’s the best system we’ve ever had. If you come up with something better, study hard and move up the ranks so you can change it. It’s worked for almost two thousand years, and no one has changed it yet.”

“Just because it’s old or never been changed, doesn’t…” Lloyd trailed off under Sandy’s cold glare. Yaric was shocked when he just reached for another drink and gave up without any further fight, causing Yaric to subconsciously look over Lauren’s shoulder again.

“I bet you’re all eager to find out what career suggestions the others received,” Jerold said, making a valiant effort to break the awkward silence.

“Sven makes stuff, Yaric hunts stuff, and Lauren does everything,” Li Na answered confidently.

“You heard Lloyd talking about my rewards,” Yaric retorted.

“So? I still know.”

“Why don’t you all take it in turns?” Jerold suggested, turning to Lauren expectantly.

“Oh, uhhh… ummm… so, I was given the option of becoming a researcher. Either trying to develop new spells or recreate lost magic. But I haven’t even started learning proper spells yet, so I don’t know. I can also work with project management and planning, or I can learn how to design new magical artifacts. There were other crafting suggestions as well, but runes and inscriptions were probably the best suggestion.”

“Plenty of time to decide,” he said fondly. “And you, Prospect Jakobson?”

“I can join the army, work with crops, or do anything that needs big muscles,” she said, flexing her bicep. “My augmentation is good. I can also train to become a problem solver.”

Yaric looked back at Lloyd in surprise. “That’s what you said you do!”

“Well, it’s not an official title, it’s more of a role,” he replied. “But yes, Prospect Jakobson would probably do well with that.”

“See, I fix things.”

“Actually, we’re usually sent to break things,” Lloyd corrected her, making her smile even wider. “We do occasionally fix things, but that isn’t our usual job. If you think back to your defense of your fort, you had people with bows, people fetching quivers, cutting rope, organized the defenders, all manner of jobs. People like me are different. We’re more like your siege crossbows…”

“Ballista.”

“…When there’s a very difficult problem, we solve it. I find that smashing the problem is usually the most effective.”

Li Na looked like she had just won the competition all over again. “Yeah, well, I can smash things.”

“And you, Prospect McDavids?”

“My suggestions were mostly to learn a wide array of skills. Wood and metal working, inscriptions, hydraulics, engineering, that sort of thing. The long-term goal would be to combine disciplines to make true magical artifacts one day.”

“Ah, an artificer!” Jerold replied, looking excited. “Those with true skill in the role are few, and they are all well respected. Was that your only suggestion?”

Sven looked embarrassed, but he answered immediately. “I can also study to become an officer in the military, or I can study diplomacy.”

“You can study anything you want, these are only suggestions,” Mersha quickly interjected, sounding exactly like Lloyd. Still, no one had any doubts as to Sven’s preference.

“And yourself, Prospect Miller?”

“I can learn to hunt dangerous creatures like Lina said. Or I can study diplomacy like Sven. I could also join the army, but as a regular soldier?” Yaric said, the last part coming out as a question as he turned to Lloyd.

“No, you would be an officer as well, like any arcanist. We even have a different chain of command. I believe the emphasis was due to training to command units and possibly armies. Your friend’s ultimate goal would be to move beyond commanding troops in the field and to shift to leading troops in an entire theater.”

“Ah… well, there was hunting, diplomacy, the army, or I could also learn to become an investigator.”

“Like solving crimes?” Lauren asked, leaning forward in interest.

“Something like that. Lloyd said it wouldn’t always be crimes, sometimes there are monsters that hunt in towns as well.”

“You’d be good at that.”

Yaric could feel Lloyd’s smirk radiating from his left, but he refused to give him the satisfaction of a reaction. “Thanks. That’s one of the options I preferred.”

“And hunting,” Li Na declared, receiving a grudging nod.

The conversation became much lighter, with the sponsors asking lots of questions about the strategies and tactics used during the competition. An informal competition started between the sponsors, each pushing their own students’ accomplishments. Well, three of the sponsors did anyway.

Lloyd left again under Sandy’s suspicious gaze, but he only went to the kitchens to try and track down the beer supplier. He didn’t look very happy when he returned.

“It can’t be the brand Twyla buys,” he explained. “Their supplier only has one product, and they have an exclusive contract. This isn’t sold anywhere else.”

“Actually, it’s new,” Sandy said. “That beer wasn’t sold here until a few months ago. It might have been sold somewhere else before then.”

“Dammit!”

Everyone laughed at the look on Lloyd’s face. The great detective defeated once again.

Most of the food was gone when Jerold refilled his glass from one of the pitchers and raised it high. “To the best student I ever sponsored,” he declared.

Sandy raised hers as well. “To the best among their year!”

Mersha already had her own glass raised by the time Sandy finished, grinning at the four embarrassed faces. “To the best in the best 6th year that we’ve ever had!”

Lloyd hurriedly stopped drinking so he could raise his now half empty bottle as well. “To the new record holders and best competitors in the history of the academy - and Yaric as well!”

“Cheers!”

“Cheers!”

“Cheers!”

1