Ch 17. Darkness
488 8 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
 
 
 

Kat had been suffocating her for the last few days. Sam put it down to her dying in the dungeon. Since then, the two of them had been taking simple jobs. Locating lost pets and items, performing menial labor, supplying magical assistance. Thanks to the last one, she learned a new branch of magic. But they weren't the fun and thrilling stores she wanted to tell her mom.

“Thanks for your help, Missy,” the old woman she helped said.

“You're welcome,” she waved and giggled.

The job was a simple one, but it was the last job she needed to rank up, to rank D. She just needs to report the completion of this latest job, and receive her promotion. Kat was spending the next few days helping her friends level up some. So she decided to take advantage of her sister's absence to do something fun. As she walked back to the guild her mind wandered to the staff. The sinister staff sat in her inventory still as she decided what to do with it.

“And there we go,” the guild receptionist said, as the glow faded from Myrra’s ID. “You’ve received your rank up, congratulations.”

Myrra immediately went to the board to look for a job. There was more of the same, though one job caught her eye. Someone requested help purifying a haunted house. It was a mansion located in the upper district. The inheritor of an old noble summer house reported strange noises coming from within after coming to the city to claim his inheritance. She pulled the posting from the wall and carried it up to the counter.

“I’ll take this one,” she said, placing the paper on the short counter. “Also, is there some place I can sell a necromancer staff?”

“Sure thing, let me just get your guild card. And I believe there is a black mage shop near the magic academy.”

“Also, I need something to use against ghosts and spirits,” she added after a moment of thought. 

“That same shop should have what you need,” she said, tapping away at the tablet. “Okay, I have marked you down on the quest. The client sent over a letter with instructions,” she added, setting down a folded sheet of paper. Along the edge was a wax seal, imprinted on its surface was a seal, which depicted a twin headed lion on a field. Pulling a small knife from her inventory, she cut the seal and began to read the letter's contents.

To whomever accepted my quest, I thank you. My name is Rudeus Talford last of my name. I shan't bore you with the specifics of my life, however, when I returned to the city to claim the last thing still in my family's ownership, I found it abused and containing foul spirits. I apologize for the poor reward, as repair costs will be high and funds limited I am unable to offer a sizeable enough reward for the effort involved. Due to that, I am also offering a permanent residence in my house as an additional reward.

A room in a mansion sounded pretty nice. Although she imagined right now that it would probably not be so nice. The receptionist handed her back her card, and after thanking the woman and getting directions to the shop, she tucked away the letter and set off.

*****

A small chime sounded as she opened the door. The interior was well lit, components, magical items, and ingredients lined the shelves in the small shop. There were boxes of empty bottles, their pristine insides waiting for whatever concoctions may fill them. Behind the counter sat large jars of bulk ingredients. Smaller jars filled with liquid and, she guessed, specialty ingredients were dotted around the shelves.

“Welcome, I’ll be right there,” called a gentle, yet distinctly male, voice from the back.

“No rush,” she said back, before taking a moment to browse the shelves. The shop had a single shelf on her left when she entered, but it extended further to her right. She walked down the narrow aisles. The shop was surprisingly clean and, despite its cluttered nature, organized. As she walked amongst the shelves, she spotted more components and several small items. They must be enchanted and are probably not that expensive if they are left out on a shelf. Picking up a small ivy ring, which felt warm in her hand, she cast appraise on it.

Ivy Band

A magical piece of ivy, woven and blessed by a spirit. This band provides a slight buff to plant and nature magic. During the day, it provides a small passive buff to mana regeneration. At night, it absorbs a small amount of mana to provide a further increase in the power of nature and plant magic.

The ring was a perfect match for her. She carried it up to the counter to inquire on the price. After waiting only a moment, the shopkeeper emerged from the back.

“Hello, I'm sorry I was in the middle of an experiment,” he apologized with a smile.

“It's no problem,” she replied. As his eyes fell on her, they went wide, his face becoming slightly flushed as he breathed in sharply. “Is everything alright?”

“I’m sorry, I wasn't expecting a goddess, please forgive my insolence in making you wait,” he pleaded.

“It’s fine,” she waved her hand.

“How can I help you?” he asked in a pleasant tone.

“I have a staff I want to sell, and I need something to deal with ghosts or spirits.”

“Sure thing, ma'am,” he replied respectively. He started to dig around under the counter while she removed the staff from her inventory and set it on the counter.

“Also, I’d like to get this ring if it isn't too much.”

“Sure thing,” he said while still digging around under the counter. “I think this should…” he trailed off as his eyes fell on the staff. “Where did you find this?” he asked in a small voice.

“In a cave filled with undead.”

“A cave, you say? Did you find anything else in there?”

“Not really,” she said, the guild has asked her and her sister to refrain from sharing details of the cave.

"I see… I'll buy the staff for five gold, five large silver and four silver," he offered, picking up the staff and staring at it longingly. She did the mental math calculating it to five thousand five hundred and forty Rol.

"How much for the ring?" she inquired.

"That price includes the ring and the anti ghost charms," he replied.

"Deal!" she exclaimed, taking the ring and slipping it on her finger.

"Pleasure doing business with you, also… please don't tell anyone about this staff," he asked quietly.

"Why?"

"I don't really want anyone knowing that I have it. I'm a collector of sorts," he explained awkwardly. 

"Sure thing," she beamed.

*****

She stared up at the mansion, when she read the posting she expected a decrepit haunted house. Its gardens overgrown and windows broken. Not a well-kept manor, with neatly trimmed hedges and well managed scenery. She tried the gate and found it locked.

"Can I help you?" asked an elderly gentleman from the other side of the fence.

She squealed and jumped, "Hi," she began after recovering, "I'm here to remove the ghosts." 

"Ah you're from the guild then? The young master informed me someone might come by. I've been waiting a while now."

"How long?"

"A couple of months now," he remarked as he fiddled with the lock on the gate. Unlocking it with an audible click as he swung the gate inwards. "Please follow me."

She did as instructed, following behind the old man as she examined her surroundings.

"It's truly unfortunate what happened to the young master. Oh pardon, I didn't introduce myself, I am Sebitian."

"What happened to him, and nice top meet you. I am Myrra."

"He lost his family to the sea," he remarked as inserted a key into the front door. "Then shortly after most of their possessions."

"How come he lost their possessions?"

"They were used as collateral, and after their death their debts were collected. This manor and a small inheritance were all that was left to the young master."

The inside of the house was covered in a layer of dust. Its once ostentatious luxury is obscured by decades of neglect. Rich tapestries covered the walls, depicting various scenes of opulence and decadence. Furniture in various states lined the hallway, half or wholly decayed. Various metal objects scattered around, broken vases lying fractured next to decrepit tables. Cobwebs hung from the ceiling, and stretched across doorways.

"The problem is in the basement," he explained, removing a small crystal from his pocket. The small clear crystal began to glow as he taped it with his finger. Hanging from its chain the pure white light played across the walls, causing the shadows to stretch and squish.

"Where is that?" she asked in a small voice.

"It's down the hall, first door on the right after the staircase," he answered, handing her the crystal. "After going through that door it's the second on the left, inside the pantry. I'll be just outside this door," he added as she took the crystal lantern.

"You aren't coming?" she asked hopefully.

"I would simply get in your way," he explained, his face paling slightly at the thought of accompanying her.

She turned and with a gulp began to walk further into the house. The interior was deathly silent, as if the house were rejecting all sound within its walls. There was a strange chill to the air that reminded her of the cave. An unnatural cold that seeped deep into her body. She had barely taken twenty steps and already she wanted to run away.

With a defiant shake of her head she pressed onwards. Removing the talismans from her inventory she stuck one on the wall before continuing. She turned around and say the caretaker still standing in the doorway. Myrra chided herself for being such a coward before turning and plunging deeper into the mansion.

*****

If the house upstairs was creepy, the basement was ten times worse. At least the house had windows that light occasionally came through. Down here however, it was pitch black, the light from the gem was brighter than the torch she had used in the cave. But even it couldn't illuminate the entirety of the basement. She wanted to hurry and accomplish her mission and leave this terrifying place.

Her teeth chattered as she shivered, she felt like she was standing in a freezer with how cold it was. Shadows danced in the corner of her vision, and she swore that she heard scuffles and whispering more than once. She paced around the perimeter of the basement, putting up the charms she bought. It may have just been her imagination, but she swore that as she put them up, the basement air began to lose its chilly edge. The darkness seemed to be receding as well, though that could just be her eyes adapting to the dark.

Once she did a complete circuit, coming back to the first talisman, she made her way inwards and placed some on e few pillars that held the floor above. On the floor was something dark that had been spilled, or perhaps drawn. Whatever exactly it was obscured by a similar layer of dust. She placed all the talismans she had brought and began to make her way back to the stairs when she heard a shrill wail come from behind her. She turned just in time to see a ghost appear, screaming and pointing at her as it floated upwards.

TThat was the final straw for the small girl, with a yell she turned and sprinted back up the stairs. Zipped down the hallway at full speed and crashed into the wall in her haste to escape. Picking herself up, she sprinted at the still open door, plowing into the old man and knocking them both to the ground as she sobbed. The gentle caretaker rubbed her back as he sought to calm the terrified girl.

"I'm done," she whispered after a minute. "I think the ghosts are gone now."

21