The Shepherding
350 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Many thousand years ago, back at the era of the first creation, God used the power of the elements to form many of His creatures, the Demons from fire, the Elves from the wind, the Murmoids from the water, the Dwarfs from the rock, the Dryads from the tree and there was the Human, who born from the soil.

God told the other races that the Human shall become the Overlord of the World, and they disagreed, said the Human is a flawed creature, weak, but also seek war and blood, destroyed the nature in the world, His own creation.

God didn't chastise them, He acknowledged their reasoning, but He also told them that the Human was more than that, thus God created a competition, He would leave the world and come back a year later, by that time, each race must offer a sacrifice, as filial piety toward their creator, to show how much the love they had for Him.

The time progressed, each race busied with the preparation of their sacrifice, the Demons, with their destructive power, hunted the strongest monster ever existed, the Elves, hunted the fastest, most agile monster, the Dwarfs, hunted the hardest monster, the Murmoids, hunted the biggest sea-monster, and the Dryads, who hunted the most unholy monster.

By the time God returned, these races had readied with each sacrifice, but surprised to find the Humans didn't have any monster to give, they scorned him, thinking how such race could be the Overlord of the World.

They brought each own sacrifice and cut their heads right in front of God, eventually, it was the Humans' turn, they thought the Humans would come with a reason to excuse their inability to hunt, but instead, the Humans brought forward their own children!

The other races became angry, insulting the human for their ruthlessness, thinking they were so desperate with own weakness that they must sacrifice their own kin?!

But God didn't respond the same, He asked, 'Why do you want to sacrifice your own?'

The Human said, 'This life is Yours to give, as its Yours to take; if you wish for me to sacrifice my own child, I shall obey.'

God went silent, then asked, 'Can't you bring a cattle instead?'

The Human said, 'We can, but my Lord, we don't think it's the point of sacrifice.'

God asked again, 'What do you think sacrifice is?'

The Human said, 'Giving up the most precious thing to show our devotedness.'

After a while, God showed a smile, he told the Human to take his children back and declared to the other races that they had won, no matter how big or powerful the monster they brought for Him, it did not compare to the willingness to what the Human did.

The other races accepted the reason, they never thought in the way of the Humans did, but one race, the Demons, they unable to accept such outcome; if the Humans became the Overlord of the World; if they were willing to sacrifice anything even their own family, then it's a dark future ahead, no trust or love would even exist.

The Demons rallied the other races, encouraged them to complain to God, refused to accept the result.

But the other races didn't agree with them, they thought the Demons were being selfish and short-minded, unable to comprehend the meaning of the Humans' sacrifice.

It's not about ruthlessness, it's about devoutness and love toward their Creator.

The Demons, being stubborn they were, still resisted the idea of the Humans to become the Overlord of the World, they even openly declared would slaughter to the last of them.

God didn't stop the Demons, but He gave them an ultimatum, 'Within 100 years, the Demon races were forbidden to attack the Humans, otherwise, He shall give them punishment.'

The Demons agreed with the condition, and they built an army to prepare to extinguish the Human, but they seemed to forget about one thing, the rule only applied to them, the Humans, on the other hand, could attack the Demons at any time.

Therefore, within 50 years, the Humans launched their first attack on the Demons, the latter unable to do anything due to their commitment to the rule, one Demon tried to fight back but immediately was incinerated into ashes, the punishment of the God.

The following years were the darkest history of the Demons, holding a grudge to both Humans and God, they sought reinforcement from all other races but were rejected, unable to endure the Human's attack, the Demon finally surrendered, giving up their intention to kill them.

This yielding brought a lot of sympathy from other races, the Humans also didn't want to become hostile with others, thus they didn't attack the Demons anymore.

But of course, the hatred and resentment the Demons had for the Humans didn't disappear, in secret, they developed many armies of different creatures; goblin, orc, troll, ogre, and lot of things, their intention was to wipe off the entire Human race.

Finally, about 30 years later, the promise of 100 years had passed, the Demon finally launched their attack, the casualties claimed one-third of the Human race, and for the following years, half of them had been eradicated.

The Human sought reinforcement from other races, they also felt angry toward the Demons' despicable behavior, it became the full-scale war, the Demons unable to contend against all races that besieged them at the same time, neither they complained as they knew it was their fault for the reason of these races' coalition, finally, the Demons gave up, they promised wouldn't continue the war with Human, but they didn't make any peace either.

For many years, the conflict between the Humans and Demons never extinguished, some Humans killed Demons, some Demons killed humans, but as long they didn't resort to war, the other races wouldn't care about it.

And at some points in history, a human born, his name was Alkeid, his father died when he was yet to come, and his mother followed when Alkeid's age was 5...

Alkeid was under the care of his uncle, a common man who worked as a tailor, he also had three other children of his own.

At that time, the hate between Demons and Humans were powerful, there was even slavery conducted by both races.

Alkeid... was unlike the other children... he didn't spit on any Demon slaves or threw a rock at them, but he also neither kind to them.

Alkeid, with his pure mind, thought these slaves had done nothing wrong, why condemn them for what they were?

The time progressed, years passed by, Alkeid finally 10 years old, he started to search for money on his own, he was accepted to herd a group of lambs and goats, together with a Demon slave named Barbatos.

For 5 years, Alkeid herd the lambs and goats while also interacted with Barbatos, the idea of Human and Demon could coexist begin to form in his head, and especially, after a few months later, a group of demon attacked his town, intended to free the slave and killed all the human, but Barbatos vouched for Alkeid to take as a slave inside, even betting his own life.

The poor 15 old years Alkeit was taken into the Demon territory, he assigned to herd their own animals, together with several other human slaves, his life was difficult, the treatment of the Demon had toward their slave was far worse than Human toward their slave.

Alkeid and Barbatos still interacted with each other, but more secretive than back at the Human's territory, because they both dreamed to have the future where Demon and Humans were no longer hostile to each other, but they knew it couldn't be handled in rush.

At some point of the time, Barbatos was married and gifted with a couple of children, he began to spread his idea to his own family, allowing them to interact with Alkeid and other Humans, then Barbatos brought his closest friends, doing the same thing.

Alkeid, in the meantime, also spread his idea toward the fellow humans, some came along, some rejected.

10 years since he was taken into the Demon territory, the community Alkeid and Barbatos built was getting bigger, many Demon family began to treat their human slaves with better condition, their idea even attracted the attention of one of the Demon King's sons.

This of course, also invited a dissatisfaction among several groups of Demon, including the noble and imperial family, they demanded Alkeid and Barbatos to stop spreading their influence, but even with treasure, women, and position, Alkeid and Barbatos never stop, eventually, it reached the point where the Demon decided to expel Alkeid and Barbatos from their territory, otherwise, they would have them killed.

But, by the time Alkeid and Barbatos left the Demon territory, their idea had been implemented deep, many Demons adopted it, some of them even married their human slave, the damage had beyond control.

Meanwhile, in the Human territory, Alkeid and Barbatos grew another influence, they didn't even try to hide it, they made a foothold in a town and created it as the base of their faction, Alkeid married to a merchant's daughter, with the support of financial side, their faction was getting bigger.

Both the important families of the Demons and the Humans feared for the faction of Alkeid and Barbatos, they did a secret meeting and finally decided to have them assassinated, it's the first human-demon conspiracy in the history, they hired a group of assassin then invited both Alkeid and Barbatos to a banquet, unfortunately, they only managed to kill Barbatos while Alkeid ran away.

Grieving with the loss, Alkeid didn't stop spreading the idea of peace between Humans and Demons, not only became the sole leader of the faction but married Barbatos' wife a few years later, proving that the coexistence of both Human and Demon under the same roof.

The enemy didn't stop, they took this action of Alkeid to frame him for the murder of Barbatos with reason to steal everything, they put their people in the faction to spread the false news, distrust among the people began to amass and their faith also crumbled.

Some people offered the idea to kill these people to control the situation, but Alkeid rejected it, he believed the moment blood spilled between his people, that marked the end of his and Barbatos' dream.

But things were getting worse by moments, several slaves killed their master, let it be from Humans or Demons' sides, Humans started to rob and kill Demons in the name of Alkeid, the once spiritual leader of the two worlds slowly became Human centralized.

Their faction was crumbling, but Alkeid still didn't take force, he didn't stop to mediate the peace between two races, what happened had nothing to do with their races but individual's egocentric.

It's even worse when the conflict brewed among his own house, the first son of Barbatos was murdered, all the leads pointed toward Alkeid's first wife, and in return, Alkeid's trusted subordinate was somewhat caught in a bed together with Alkeid's second wife, causing a scandal among them, the people demanded both of Alkeid's wives to be punished.

It's too much pressure for the 50 old years Alkeid, his action of doing nothing only made thing worse as his health also turned bad, eventually, for the first time in his life, Alkeid took a drastic measure, he, along with his two wives, committed suicide in the front of many people, they wished of their death became the last blood that ended the tragedy of Humans and Demons' conflict, he hoped both races could forget their past animosity and moved on toward the future.

His last word was, 'Fire can give life, Soil can take life, No races are evil, Only the selfishness of own.'

Thus, it marked the ending, of 'The Shepherding'.

(***)

As Elliot finished, he looked toward the group of people who strolled at the far side of the town, there were Human, Elf, and a couple of Humanoid with them.

"Alkeid and his wives sacrifice became the keepsake to both races, a reminder that Humans and Demons didn't have to hate each other... Alkeid was willing to die for the sake of his cause, such sacrifice... how could they pretend it didn't happen?"

"Although not all Humans or Demons adopted the idea, it was no doubt become one of the concepts up till today, it's not something both races could forget, or simply eradicated anymore..."

"When I thought about 'The Shepherding', I can't help but yearn for the idea of the world without hatred, a world without war and fighting..."

Momo closed her eyes, she could understand them, both Alkeid and Elliot, in fact, she believed there was no one in the world who didn't want peace.

But how to achieve that peace... every nation and race would have a different opinion, some thought peace could only attain by a world led under one supreme leader, thus they launched a war with conquering and subjugating intention, some thought peace was in the form of a world without hatred, nobody then willing to offend anyone, in exchange of their freedom to express opinion severely restricted, they no longer could be considered free.

For example; Momo's own father, Gid, conquered the whole galaxy and ended the intergalactic war with brute force and fierce assault, became the strongest in the galaxy, with that power, he brought peace to the world, but... was it true peace he attained? Or merely an illusion?

Her father certainly not immortal, one day, he would be gone, and Big Sister Lala's soon-to-be husband would take his place... after that, could peace still existed?

"I knew it is impossible... even Alkeid didn't succeed, because the world is complex... we all who inhabiting it also complex... but, imagine the world without war... when nobody shed blood anymore, the world where everybody loved each other genuinely, I..."

Elliot clenched tightly the stone between his fingers, then he sighed.

"But obviously, people like me, we do not fit among the people with a warrior mindset like the Lionheart, such I was thrown aside, even by my own father... Ms. Momo, tell me... why should I even care to keep anything from them when I did not have an attachment at all."

"..." Momo opened her eyes and looked toward Elliot, said, "If you hate it so much... then why you did not throw it away?"

"Huh, I sometimes wonder it myself..."

Elliot took his ring out from the pocket and stared at it, he rubbed the lion-emblem on the top of it with his thumb.

"At first, I don't care about this at all, even forget that I ever have it, then when father cast mother out from the castle... this ring... become the memento of my grudge to him... it transforms into my greatest desire in the future..."

"What desire is that?" Momo said.

"When he is in his deathbed... I will throw this ring right into his face... and then say 'You're not so great after all...'."

Momo and Jason startled, Elliot's voice was bland, yet still sending a chill down their spine.

Alexis bit her lips, she seemingly wanted to say something but holding it back.

"It is cruel... I even notice it... and such behavior makes my dream became a joke, how come one wish for no war and fight when he such have a diabolical mind toward his own father..."

Elliot turned his face toward Momo, and he offered the ring toward her.

"Since Alex needs a space ring, I think this is the best chance for me to get rid of the ring... letting go of my grudge, mother told me not to hate my father... at least, if she doesn't survive this... I don't want to violate her last wish..."

"..."

The group went silent, Momo complicatedly looked toward the ring in Elliot's hand, it's the memento of his hatred, perhaps it was indeed for the best to take it away from him.

As royalty herself, Momo understood the importance of maintaining strength within the imperial family, the king was someone who people looked up into, someone who people trust with their life and fate; if the king was weak in both physique and mind, how could people have confidence in him?

Momo remembered her father, despite his lack of care toward managing the royal affair, the people still idolized him, his subordinate still loyal to him, it's because his strength gave people a sense of protection... a comfort to know that it was impossible for anyone to seek trouble to him.

Elliot might no have a weak mind, but he clearly wasn't a fighter, it would be difficult for the people to trust him to lead them, and Momo understood the king's disappointment toward him, but to go as far as to disown him as a son...

For long Momo was silent... she had no idea how should proceed... Alex needed a space ring, and it was true that they might not able to buy it from the Tule Family, meanwhile, Elliot didn't have a problem to give up his ring, perhaps it even good riddance for him...

"Alright, I'll take it..."

Momo grasped the ring, she slipped it inside her small bag on the waist.

"But it's up to Alex whether he would accept it or not... and Elliot..."

The young man wrinkled his eyebrows as Momo looked at him with a tender expression.

"Being a parent is difficult... and even more so when you are a King."

Elliot startled, he glanced to his feet before nodded toward Momo.

"I know."

Alexis also smiled, then the rest of them stood up from the ground, went back into the dense area to buy the rest of the things Alex wanted, and later tried to visit this Tule's potion-making shop.

(***)

Back at the Baba's Fortune telling building, Dick looked at Alex with confused eyes, thinking what's wrong with him.

"Were you usually like to wear a sort of things outside? Don't you feel cold?"

At this moment, the older man was having a conversation with the matured Baba, well... if anyone could call it merely a conversation, considering the anger which Baba held under those glaring yet charming eyes.

"No, I did not go outside with bare clothing, and even if I did, I do not feel cold!"

"Oh? Why? Did it perhaps because your skin is thick?"

"Did you just call me shameless?!"

"What? Who? Me? No way, I simply respond to your statement, and I thought it's perhaps because the layer of your skin was harder and thicker than most of the people, which is good actually, do you know how many clothes that people had to wear under such lower temperature climate? Sometimes 4-5 from underwear to thick coat, oh, by the way, do you wear any underwear beneath those?"

"I... will you shut up?!"

"Definitely not wearing them..."

While waiting for Baba's people to figure out the identity of the Black Orb that Alex found in the Old Woodland, Alex had been tormented Baba with a barrage of questions, Dick might know Alex for a short time, but he saw the man as a calm and collected individual, why he behaved like this?

For Baba's part, she had been clenching the armrest of her chair, eyes glared at Alex as if wanted to swallow him whole.

Fortunately, someone appeared from the curtain behind her, giving her a paper with several lists of a name.

"Dark Epoch. it has the ability to detect undead monsters!"

"Nope."

"Hades Heart, it can absorb any curses!"

"Cool name, but nope!"

"Glowing Dark, it has the ability to enable your vision in the dark!"

"Yeah... no, that's not it..."

After several more names and abilities had been denied by Alex, Baba gritted her teeth and finally gave up, unwilling and sulky.

"Look's like today is not your lucky day."

Alex lifted the corner of his lips softly.

"Oh, spare me the pity talk, where is the paper?!"

Baba snorted, Alex strolled toward in front of her and gave a piece of paper in his hand, he could smell the thick thrilling aroma of her perfume.

She swung her hand as she tore the paper from Alex's finger, then shifted the grudge in her eyes from the smug on his face toward the paper.

"Magic Limiter? An item with an ability to postpone magic?"

Baba wrinkled her eyebrows but she didn't look at Alex.

"Yeah, a pretty rare one, albeit not comparable with the Rapid-growth shard, this item has a function to seal a field-scale magic barrier or sort, I believe you must have known the strange thing that appeared at Old Woodlands yesterday?"

"Ah, I see, the [ World of Dark ]... I heard your people were coming from the Old Woodlands, never expect this item actually connected to it..."

"Yes, it's a powerful item that completely halted the magic effect, and since its purpose was to employ trap, the item's structure really fragile, just smash it to the ground and it would break apart, releasing a magic as such as the [ World of Dark ] at in instant," Alex said, he knew this as he had asked the system to inspect it before, it surprising took less time than the piece of Philosopher Stone.

"Hmm... is this also the reason why the animals in the Old Woodlands went berserk?"

"Yes... err, apparently, the item was not perfected yet, its the side effect..."

"But to be able to hold that kind scale of magic and affected such a big area, this item already superb despite it's not perfect..."

Baba put down the paper and rested her hand under her smooth cheek, she squinted her eyes a bit.

"This item possibly a new invention since none of my people could not find info about it even in Old Era Tome..."

"I thought so too, but there are 6 Magic Academies in the entire world, each was very far from each other, Baba, do you have a suggestion which magic academy that possibly invented this?"

The matured lady glanced at Alex, the corner of her lips curled a little.

"Asking for my opinion is going to cost you know?"

"Yeah, but I have a discount, might as well use it."

Baba's lips twitched, then she adopted a scornful expression.

"There are two Magic Academy that is worth to look; first is The Tower of Insan, the academy who invented the runes, or their practice; second is Wellworths Maester World, the academy who invented the spellbook."

"The Tower of Insan located in Stardust Continent, about 3-4 months journey from this town if you take the shortest route but most dangerous, and 5-6 months journey if you take the longest route but the safest one, Wellworths Master World is located on their own island, but actually far closer than The Tower of Insan, only 2-3 months journey."

Alex nodded, Baba's suggestion was the same with the system, both of these magic academies possibly the place that produced the Magic Limiter, yet Alex didn't know why his guts told him this seems like pretty obvious...

If he was a person or part of a secret group who possessed the pieces of Philosopher stone, had used one of them to produce a massive amount of goblins, and also tried to kill a powerful mage who happened to be the Protector of the Realm, he certainly would look for a place where it mostly ignored by the people, silently developing all the supports that ensure the success of his plan.

"..." Baba looked at the frowned Alex, she flapped her curly eyelashes for a couple of times before she said.

"Actually... there was the seventh Magic Academy, its name was Bishop Maleficarum, but it has been long abandoned, about half and millennia ago, due to their practice of forbidden magic... [ Dragonification ]."

Alex startled, couldn't help but snapped his face toward the charming woman.

"What is [ Dragonification ]? A practice to turn people into a Dragon?"

Baba shook her head, she said, "On the contrary, it's a practice to turn Dragon into a human."

5