Volume 1 – Prologue
205 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The girl blinked and furrowed her brow in annoyance as she witnessed the death of her onscreen character. frustrated, she sat back in her seat and removed her headphones from her ears, placing them around her neck. She let out a sigh of resignation at the fact that she would lose this match.

A presence behind her would cause her to grunt, and without turning around she spoke.

“I have no interest in you, voyager. And I warn you, I am not in a good mood right now.”

The monotonous voice of the figure echoed around the empty room, seemingly betraying nothing about their identity, not even their gender. Perhaps it might seem a little more feminine than masculine, but it still wasn’t clear at all.

Yet there was no response from the empty room in which the girl sat. Turning around, she prepared to destroy whatever obnoxious insect it was that had invaded her space, but she was quick to make the most obvious observation. 

The room was empty. It was only her.

But just when the girl was about to write it off and return to her game, a soft mew would accompany a cat jumping onto her bed beside her computer. The girl glanced over at the cat and sighed.

“Ah. I had heard about you.” She stared at the cat for a moment, then sighs. “Your master is an asshole, sending you in her place.”

With that, she stood up and shook her head. “Let’s see what she wants, yes? You stupid voyager.”

The room around them dissolved, as both the cat and the girl appeared in a large, white-walled smoking room. The windows would show only an inky black void, which would make one question why they existed at all.

“You should be more grateful. I’m lifting your punishment.”

A voice rang out from somewhere within the room… no, it was more like the room itself had spoken. Slowly, a cloud of dust would appear and form into the shape of a humanoid figure, one with long purple hair, and piercing purple eyes. She was wearing an elegant dress, one that resembled a traditional Japanese shrine maiden’s robe, yet at the same time, wasn’t quite there. It beheld an interesting uniqueness, one that suggested that this woman wasn’t quite what she seemed. Girdling her head was a greyish horn-like structure that would support this idea, though they were seemingly not attached to her skull anywhere, apparently suspended by some kind of magic. She held in her hand an ornamental staff resembling that of a shrine maiden’s.

The girl raised her eyebrow with interest. “Oh? Last I remember you were scolding me for evading my duties. You even sent that servant to drag me away. I was doing something quite interesting, you know.” The girl grumbled, crossing her arms indignantly.

“Come now, you were neglecting your studies. And now look where it got you. A playground to explore I have a proposal for you. A fresh fragment to play around with. A blank canvas where you can play the evil god you claim to be.” The woman sat down at the table in the center of the hexagonal room, materializing a cup of tea before her as she set her staff aside, leaving it hovering in the air beside her seat.

“And why would you do that for me? After you were so angry over messing with that other fragment?” The girl did sit down across from her, however, despite her annoyance.

“In all honesty, I was annoyed for your father's sake.”

“He is not my father.” The girl scowled as she made the firm assertion.

“Of course. But you know how he gets. I set this up for you. And if you want to consider it a test, by all means. If nothing else, my idea will be entertaining, will it not? And that being said, I know you do enjoy a good show.” At this, the woman smirked at the girl across from her. She had thrown the girl’s typical defense back at her. 

Still, the girl would much prefer to play games all day rather than doing work. Her recent “grounding” wasn’t really all that inconvenient. But she didn’t have a response. She did like it when these things were created to be especially entertaining.

“You shouldn’t be content being a mere Administrator. Do you not wish to touch the realm of creator?” The woman gave her a tiny bit more push.

“…fine,” the administrator conceded, “I’ll at least take a look at it. But why do you need me?”

The woman chuckled and lowered her gaze. “I’d rather not interfere in such a unique new story. And yes, that is my sole reason for wishing for this. I would like a new territory to observe. A cure for my boredom, if you will.” At this, she glanced over at the cat who was sitting in the corner, before continuing. “And you seem like you’d be willing to provide. I’ve even created a setting for you to play in.”

The other figure took a long sigh and leaned on the armrest of their chair. “Very well. But only on the condition that I have the leeway to do as I please.”

The woman chuckles and nods. “I will talk to the old geezer for you. I’m sure I will be able to convince him to turn a blind eye to your misbehaving, so long as anything you do is in the spirit of progressing the story. He rarely bothers to pay attention to things outside of his domain anyways… so the chances he will care at all are minimal.”

The other god suddenly laughs, almost even a childish giggle, like a young child seeing a pile of gifts on Christmas morning. “Of course, of course, I wouldn’t dream of it. Then, we have a deal.”

She lets out another childish giggle before disappearing completely, without a trace, as if they were never there in the first place. The lone woman sighed, reaching out and grabbing her ornamented staff as she stood up. “That child… truly is interesting… I do wonder what she has in store for me…”

Turning, she noticed that the cat was gone. Instead, there was a petite-looking girl in a black and white frilled outfit. She had long, dark blue hair and dark purple pupils with a dead, glazed look. Her skin was pale and her expression was blank, she truly resembled a corpse. But the slight shift of her head and the words she spoke would confirm she was very much alive.

“Leaving that child in charge is not going to result in a cheerful ending,” the girl warned. “And… I didn’t dislike that world you built.”

The purple-haired woman chuckled and nodded. “Oh, I am aware. I am counting on it, in fact. Let’s see how much she… ah, what’s the phrase you voyagers like to use for when things go bad?”

“Fucking it up?”

“Yeah. Let’s see how much she fucks it up on her first time.”

<X>

“Hmmm… Let’s see… Perhaps we push these events forward? Hmmm, even with Mother building the world, this is kind of messy…”

The girl was fiddling with a translucent display in front of her. Manipulating it effortlessly, she mumbled her thought process to herself as she planned out her intentions. “I feel like this would still be kind of lackluster…” 

The girl then looked up, briefly noticing a yellow sparkle out of her peripheral vision, and glancing at the anomaly out of the corner of her eye. “You followed me.”

“Yes, I did. Auau wants to keep an eye on you.” The blue-haired voyager replied as she materialized out of a cloud of golden, sparkling dust.

“Why do you call her that?”

“You’re attempting to distract me. I am not leaving.”

There was a moment of silence as the girl turned her head to look at the new arrival. The dark blue-haired cat watched her intently.

“That’s out of character for you,” The girl pointed out, but the voyager was just as quick to fire back a response.

“And making conversation is out of character for you, D. It’s clear you’re excited about this.”

“But… Nothing is working.” The administrator let out a sigh of resignation as she slumped backward in her chair. “Anything I try to play out, it just ends with… nothing. How does that woman do this constantly, for billions of worlds?”

There was silence. The Voyager remained passive, her expression betraying no indication of the fact that the question had fallen on dumb ears. Of course, she had no idea. This sort of thing was out of her wheelhouse. Once, she had tried, but it had not ended in a particularly exciting way. Besides, it was mostly born out of spite. Truthfully, even the fact that this young girl could even attempt something remotely comprehensible was beyond her ability by far. And that was why she was a voyager. It was much easier to observe each fragment and act smarter than she was than to have the knowledge and skill to create one herself.

“Are you doing that little trick with the spider again...?” The voyager inquired, causing the administrator to chuckle mirthfully.

“Are you asking whether I’m going to include my greatest trump card in my final exam?” The girl responded with a bemused smirk.

There was silence. The voyager blinked ad tilted her head. “I didn’t say it was…”

“Oh, don’t worry, you didn’t slip up. I knew what this was from the start.” She replies. “I just don’t much care. But I’ll still pass with flying colors.”

Another pause, before the voyager elected to change the subject. “I hear that conflict breeds engagement.”

“Conflict…” The girl paused. She considered the thought for a moment, turning it over in her head. “But what players could possibly be…” She leaned forward as she scrolled through the display, suddenly pausing at one item on the seemingly infinite list, her fingers hovering over the name onscreen.

The voyager floated over, peeking at the display over the young administrator’s shoulder. When she saw what it was she was looking at, her normally passive and emotionless pale face turned an even paler shade, and her eyes widened.

“No… no way. Don’t use that. That cannot even physically die.”

“I could make it die.”

“Then you would be disrespecting Master’s work. If you use it, use it properly.”

There was a pause before the self-proclaimed evil god smirked sadistically. “Well… It would definitely be entertaining.”

8