Episode 39
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I squeeze my hands into fists and count my breaths to keep from rushing the guards.

“Stand down, Oren.” The captain steps away and pulls out her tranqs.

The long barrel guns are too big for her hands. But she adjusts her grip and loads three darts in each with ease. She stares up at me and quirks a brow. I show her my still glowing hands and the tremors from too much energy lying in wait. She slides her guns back into the holsters at her hips and slips her fingers into mine, pulling out my guns.

“We’re ready and moving out.” Lutz speaks into his tablet.

Some of the warriors fall out to join the captives in the passenger cars. The captain is quick to load my guns and holds them out for me. My hands steady with something to grip. I move further along the wall into position.

There are two warriors in each car and two transport drivers. We have more than enough darts to take everyone out. The rest of the warriors line up and march back into Centrum building. Lutz pushes a shaky Dr. Quinn into a car and cackles when he lands on his face. Iva’s curse rings through our comms.

“Steady.” The captain orders.

Lutz joins the driver in the cab of Quinn’s transport. It's the one closest to Iva, who already has his gun aimed on Lutz's scarred face. As soon as the last guard is past the loading bay, Iva’s dart flies fast. It sinks into Lutz’s neck. He cries out and then slumps over the dash. The transport team is quick to react and jumps out of the vehicle.

“Damn it Iva. Go, go, go.” The captain races to the closest transport and I sprint to the one closest to the building entrance.

The whistle of darts and pained groans echo behind me. I raise my gun and take out the driver as his partner calls for backup. I shoot a dart into his shoulder before he can use his comm. His body sags against the driver's. I pull them both out of the cab to rest against the loading bays.

I press the button to release the ramp and two guards rush over the top before it's halfway open. They round on me and my reflexes take over. One dart flies into each thigh, but they aren’t as easy to take down as the transport team.

They rush me, warrior weapons blazing. One has a jagged serrated ax and the other leads with a deadly pike. I throw my guns to the ground, summon my blades, and brace for impact. But the guards fall forward in a heap at my feet.

“Elites, secure your cargo and move out. The security system comes back online in 2 minutes.” The captain has already closed the ramp of her transport and is in the driver seat.

Iva throws Lutz to the ground and drags him by one leg to lie against the wall with the other unconscious warriors. "Why aren't we taking him with us? He has a wealth of Centrum intel to extract."

He voices what we're all thinking.

"It'll cause too much heat. Focus on the trauma victims in your care and get them to safety." Kane responds and the captain agrees.

I bite the inside of my cheek when I almost say we should kill him. Warrior born protect, we don't kill humans. But the thought rushes in full of logic and sound reason anyway and my powers surge, ready to kill him. A sour sick rolls inside my gut thinking about what that says about my abilities and myself. I disperse my blades and retrieve my guns. Shutting down my thoughts to focus on the task at hand.

I jog to the back of my passenger car to close the ramp. A shaggy bearded man rams his shoulder into my gut. I’m knocked off my feet and land hard on my back with a severe ring to my skull. My warrior marks blaze and the warmth of my energy rushes to clear my head. I spring to my feet and hold my palms out as he slings his meaty fist.

“Stop. I’m on your side.” I back up.

“Bullshit. You’re…” His glare rounds out on my warrior marks.

Shit, I hope they’re not blue right now.

“Rain?” He releases his fists and rubs his fingers over his eyes. “Rain Oren. I knew you’d come.”

He charges and I’m not sure if I should defend myself or run away. Before I have a chance to decide, he’s in front of me. He grasps my biceps and cuts off the blood flow to each arm.

“Damn, you look like your dad.” He blinks away a lone tear and his deep brown eyes crinkle with a smile.

“Hasta?” I’m afraid of his response.

I want it to be him. But I’m ready for the thin wire tightrope of hope I’m balancing to snap. Because when has anything ever gone my way?

“Yes. I’ve waited so long for you.” His gaze pleads for me to be as happy as he is for this moment.

But his confirmation demands me to face a truth that will change everything. Happy is the furthest emotion assaulting me. I have no memory of this man. This man, that went through a decade of hell for me and my family. The guilt is a tsunami to the pride shiny in his stare. My heart seizes against all the expectation he projects onto me. I see Rosa’s warm smile and I step back knowing what he won’t be coming home to. The transports roll away around us reminding me we’re out of time.

“We have to go. They’re coming.” It's all I can choke out.

He nods and lets me go. I race to secure the passenger car and he follows. I push our encounter into the over stuff recesses of my mind where all the things I can't focus on live. I track the faint glow of tail lights ahead and breathe deep. I’m the last one to leave.

“It’s going to be ok.” Hasta tells the shivering captives.

“Stop right there.” A familiar voice sounds from behind us and I share a look with Hasta.

He’s ready to fight. And I’m ready to do whatever it takes to get them out of here. Even if I have to reveal myself. I spin around and Julian stands blocking the tunnel with Luce’s arm in his grip. She’s loaded like a pack mule. Two overstuffed duffels are strapped to her body and a rolling crate is at her feet.

“All of Centrum's Guards plus the new Elites are descending on you as we speak.”

“Jay? Jay is that you?” A soft female whisper makes Julian drop his hold on Luce and race for the passenger car.

“Mina!” He sprints up the ramp and the captives scurry out of his path to reveal an emancipated blonde civilian.

She’s the one we found strapped to the gurney in the lab. The one that broke loose of her constraints when Lutz injected her. She cries when his arms circle her frail form.

The carefree, cocky Julian is gone. He's soft and gentle in his touch and murmurs. He runs his eyes and hands carefully over her, cataloging every injury with patient rage.

“We can’t go yet.” Luce limps up and throws her gear into the car.

“What's happening?” I turn from Julian back to Luce.

“He’s with us. That’s what’s happening. And we can’t leave.” She grabs one of my tranq guns and checks the darts.

“He’s not with us.” I shake my head. “He was using you, threatening you, to stop us.

“No, he was helping me stand." She winces when she rolls her right ankle. "I got into a little altercation, but I’m fine.”

“Is that Julian Zale?" Hasta asks and Luce runs her eyes over him before giving a nod. "He’s with us.” Hasta agrees, walks to the cab, and opens the driver side door. “But we should go, now.”

Luce’s emerald eyes glint hard at Hasta and she strides up to him and cocks her tranq gun. I reach out to hold her back, but stop at the sound of rushing steps and squeaky wheels.

“Incoming.” I reload my gun.

Hasta jumps in on the driver side and starts the transport. Luce walks back to one of her bags and pulls out an Elite uniform.

"How is Julian with us? I thought you hated him." I whisper to Luce and follow her back to Hasta in the cab.

She throws the uniform at Hasta's chest and plants her feet aiming her long barrel at the doors to the loading bay.

"I...it's complicated. Let's just say I understand him now, thanks to that girl in there. Besides, he just saved my ass."

I suck in a breath. I never thought tough as hell Luce would admit to being rescued.

She glares at me and I back up a step. "Mention that to anyone and I'll beat your ass, super powers and all."

And I believe her. I take aim as an Elite uniform comes into view through the darkness. I fire. Luce knocks into my arms and the dart misses its target. It sinks into whatever is undercover on the gurney rolling our way.

“What the hell?” Cole grunts as he passes me pushing his father on a gurney to the passenger car. “They're right on my six. Let’s go.”

Luce slaps the button to close the ramp as she races behind Cole.

“Oren, we have a problem.” Iva calls over the comm.

I jump inside the cab next to Hasta dressed in black. He'd pass for an Elite if not for the ragged dirty hair and beard.

“Move, our people are in trouble.” I throw my gun to the floor. “On our way and bringing company.” I reply.

"More the merrier I guess. Out." Iva says.

“Was that General Targe’s kid?” Hasta slams his foot down on the gas and I’m thrown back into the seat.

“Yep, with his comatose father too.”

The steering wheel bends under Hasta’s grip. I tap the back of his hand and he lets up.

“Don’t worry, you’ll have your chance. That’s if Cole doesn’t finish him first.”

Yellow emergency lights flash all around the tunnel entrance and a teeth rattling moan shakes the transport. Clouds of dust poof out of the walls in front of us. And twelve inch thick steel doors start to slide closed from either side. We’ll be trapped or sandwiched if we don’t make it across in time.

“We’re not going to make it.” Hasta's thigh muscle bulges from the force on the pedal.

I check the review mirrors and the loading bay is still deserted. I’ve never tested my strength against steel mechanics. The thought has my energy racing through my body and my eyes flash back at me. The transport swerves and I find Hasta's attention glued to me instead of the road.

There’s an open circle in his beard where I’m guessing his mouth is buried. If he has the answers Rosa promised, then he already knows what I can do. And there’s no time to hold back now.

“I’ll get us through.” I open my door and focus on the steel barricade.

The pulling sensation in my chest grabs tight and yanks me through the air. Gray concrete and yellow lights blur around me and then I’m standing in between the sliding steel.

 

0