Episode 1
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
IMPORTANT SERIES UPDATE:
Due to publishing restrictions with Amazon, the full version of this book and the other books in the series will no longer be available on this platform after June 7, 2024.

I crouch behind the thorny brush ignoring the slicing stings on my cheeks and hands. The musk of damp soil and sweat suffocates. I calm my breaths and focus on a faded red string twisted in the vines by my battered boots. The blazing sun beams spotlights around me as if it’s trying to give away my location. It's not the best spot to hide but they wouldn’t think of it either. And I need to get my bearings. 

They’ve been after me since before dawn with orders to capture me by any means necessary. I'm fading fast without food and water. They’re hunting me in full combat gear and rations. All I have is the thin black training uniform I left in. They managed to catch up to me over and over again. 

The gusting breeze rattles the branches above making it hard to locate their movements, even with my enhanced senses. I don’t think I can lose them again. Not without unleashing my abilities and I won’t do that. 

My eyes squeeze against the internal reel of images that have plagued me for weeks. Blades slicing human flesh through marrow. Wet thuds and dead eyes on dismembered heads. I won’t risk hurting anyone, not again. I just have to make it to the other side of these woods. And I’ll be in the clear.  

“On your feet, warrior.” 

“Damn it, Oren. What’s the problem?” Iva huffs a groan. 

He and Kane look like they could go all day standing across the clearing from my position. I back out of the brush and stand to face them. My shoulders drop from exhaustion and guilt at keeping them out here all morning for nothing.

“Oren.” The captain's sharp tone snaps my posture straight. “Why are we out here warrior?”

I keep my eyes over her head. It’s hard to look at her when others are around. And our silent agreement to pretend nothing changed after our time together in the Mist isn't helping. 

“We’re testing my abilities, captain.” I say.

“No, we’re training, honing our skills. Like we always do.” She sighs. “But how can we train as a team, if you won’t use your abilities which are a part of your skills?” She grits out the last part through her teeth.

I don’t understand how she expects to train something that is uncontrollable, unstable, ever evolving, and oh yeah, deadly. My powers surge against my chest as if taking offense to my thoughts. I breathe deep and push them back. 

I haven’t let my abilities out since we've been back from the Mist. Since all the truths were revealed. I manage to release small amounts of energy for speed during morning training. But only for some relief from the pressure building inside. 

“Kane, Iva, you’re dismissed.”  The captain orders. 

“Rain.” 

My lids close heavily hearing my first name in the soft voice I want to sink into. She hasn’t stopped being the calm to my internal storm. She stands right under my chin. Her warmth seeps into the front of my uniform. The sweet honey from her hair has me breathing in deep again. 

“You have to let it go.” She whispers. “What you had to do. You did to save us. We would have never made it out alive without you.”

My mind fills with slashing blood and glowing green eyes. The static filled stuttering video feed of Holden’s severed head rolling towards the camera, loops in my mind. I open my eyes and the electric blue flash of my powers reflect in her hazel stare. 

“Those warrior’s deaths are on Targe. You have to lay the blame where it belongs.” 

“And what about Targe? I can’t be here when he wakes.” 

“If he wakes up. They don’t think he ever will.”

Top Centrum surgeons marveled at his body's miraculous recovery. Praising warrior born strength instead of the unstable serum I saw pumping through his eyes. His body may have healed, but his mind is locked in a coma I hope he never escapes.

She reaches up to trace her fingers around my eyes. I step back and turn away. I killed warrior born. We are a brethren, born into an unshakable bond of loyalty and trust. Connected in our common, birth given mission to protect against the demon horde. Our numbers are diminishing and I killed four of our own. There is no justification for that. 

“It’s been weeks.” Her steps are slow and cautious. “You don’t sleep unless…”

“Unless I’m with you.” I run my hand through my hair. The white strands are too long now. “I’m sorry about that.” 

The first couple of nights I didn’t know how I’d gotten into her pod. She woke up to find me curled up on the floor by her bed. Now she keeps a foam mattress and bedding out for me. I don’t try to fall asleep in my own pod anymore. I want to tell her I'll stop, but I can't. Her odd soothing presence is the only thing helping me cage my powers.

“I’m not.” Her words are quiet. “I sleep better too.” 

“You shouldn’t. It's not safe. Targe was right about me.”

“No.” 

“We don’t know what I am. Why can I move like the demons?” I turn on her, accusing, as if it’s her fault. 

Her mouth gapes, but she doesn't have an answer. I would leave Centrum, leave the squad, but I’m worried about them. There hasn’t been any further news about the investigation into our failed mission or what Cole shared. They have video evidence an Elite warrior has supernatural abilities but nothing has come of it. 

Nothing has been announced about Targe causing the attacks my family was blamed for either. And I can't question it with the mission investigation still open. The captain ordered us to act as usual. Hide in plain sight sort of strategy. But how long can that last? How long can I last? I'm a boiling covered pot.

“Bullshit." She charges over. Her glare turns a brilliant green and I see Nugget rise up. "You’re scared, nothing more. What you can do has nothing to do with demons. You are the last Oren. Orens have always been the strongest of the founding families.” 

“That means nothing. Not anymore.” Why does she push and push, trying to make me into something I’m not?

“One day the world will know the truth about your family. How Targe set them up to take the fall. But until then you’re still the best warrior our nation has ever had and it needs you. Your squad needs you.” 

She's close and my heart slows to keep pace with hers. We’ve been here, over and over, these past few weeks. Standing right in front of each other, but neither wanting to cross the line. Neither wanting to voice this connection. I want to know what it is about her that soothes the rage inside me but I can’t go there. There's no chance, no time, for what ifs. And It doesn’t matter because something going to break sooner than later. And when it does, I won't let them be accused for the things I've done, what I can do. 

“You think if you use your abilities they’ll take over again?”

“They will.” 

My powers took over when we were in the Mist fighting for our lives. They pushed me to the background and the only thing that helped me regain control was her.  

“Not if you learn control. We’ll shift to sparring with Kane tomorrow."

"I won't use them." 

"That's up to you. But this time, he won't hold back." 

I wince remembering how he kicked my ass last time we sparred. And that was him holding back? The captain walks through the tree line back to the arena entrance. She thinks we can continue as we did before. But too many truths have surfaced, too many questions have been raised, with too much risk to the squad. 

This squad, that somehow wormed their way past my defenses, is what keeps me here when I should go. In our world, with our duty as warrior born we have no other focus except to protect. And it burns hot in me, my need to protect them. 

I turn around and stare across the borderline of our nation's capital. Just through the thick tree line is a fifty foot wrought iron fence. I've circled the perimeter for weeks and found only one weak spot. No cameras and a few loose rods, easy to slip past. It's a direct shot from the arena exit through this stretch of woods, Addy's woods. I know them well. When they come for me, I'll already be gone. 

Here we go! Book 2 in the continuation of Rain's story. He and the rest of the squad have all gone through so much. The captain's strategy is to act like business as usual. But with each of them struggling to deal with all that happened during the mission it's like we're in the eye of a building hurricane and it's about to unleash!

Ready to keep reading? You can read up to 8 week ahead on my Patreon

0