Chapter 6 – A Surprise(6)
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chirp! Chirp!

The afternoon sun and its rays of light beat down on Elendril's face. 

A bird happily nursed its children on the branch beside him. 

With a groan, Elendril woke up.

With bleary eyes, he glanced around. 

On his lap lay a small brick.

"Ah. Sylvanax must've fallen asleep."

He tucked the brick into his pouch. 

Falling out of the tree, he quickly splashed some water on his face.

As he filled his leather flask with the fresh stream water, he was lost in thought.

"So I know I should head to Chronosum. I know that. Now that I have the system though, maybe I should try and level up a bit before I arrive?"

There were three main ways to level up with the system.

You could kill, complete quests, or do your job.

Doing your job, however, only worked for support classes such as healers or logistics, because they would have a very difficult time killing monsters.

That was the gift the goddesses gave to support classes in exchange for their sacrifice to the world.

Completing quests granted a certain amount of experience, depending on the evaluation of the quest that the system made. With each increase in rank, there as a significant increase in rewards. 

Quests could be received in two ways, either the direct agreement of a contract from both sides, or extremely powerful beings like gods would directly give it to you. 

Finally, you could kill.

The most common were monsters.

They were characterized by gleaming red eyes, and were typically hostile towards you.

You could also kill other people who had the system. 

This was a lot harder, as people were not given the red eyes of monsters. 

However, the system did not reward you for killing people who did not have the system.

This prevented system users from going rampant in cities and murdering everyone they could see. 

"That reminds me! This appeared yesterday, but I was so excited to get my arrows, then I got chased and completely forgot about it.

He checked the quest.

It was a new quest that appeared in the edge of his vision after he was awoken. 

Quest: Reach Falstein (Rank E)

Zephyrith wants you to head to Falstein.

Reward: 1000 Experience

Failure Penalty: None

"1000 experience?! That's enough to reach level 3-4 in one go!"

Elendril was sorely tempted.

However, he shook his head.

Being greedy was alright, but only if you were strong enough to be greedy!

He was in no position to be greedy now.

He was already being hunted in Desden. 

If word got out, he would not be safe anywhere in the Celestrian Empire! 

After filling his flask, he began to glide towards the west again. 

He had to head to Chronosum as soon as possible!

-----(:)-----

Chip had the highest agility in the group. 

Naturally, this meant that he had the ability to choose the best quests first!

Whenever the group finished a commission, Chip's job was to go to the board and search for a suitable quest for them.

His group had just subdued an almost rank D wolf, and this time the leader said they could have a more relaxed commission!

Chip was naturally happy about this, and even more when he saw the pretty receptionist moving over to restock the available commissions!

"How've you been, Roselyn?"

She ignored him.

Unfazed, he began to scan the new commissions. 

Surprisingly, there was a commission marked in red: Very Urgent!

It was to capture a family of three. 

It was separated into two commissions.

One to capture the son, Elendril.

The other to capture the father Karson and other son, Ezekriel.

The commission to capture Elendril was only ranked E. 

However, the commission to capture the father was ranked C+!

A rank C+ commission! 

That was something only adventurers you could find in cities could handle!

There was nobody here in a backwater town that could handle it!

"Hey Roselyn, what's this about?"

This time, the receptionist actually replied.

"These two commissions are to capture the family of heretics that was found to be in hiding in Desden. They were separated, thus the two different commissions. There's a large amount of these commissions because the church wants it done immediately. To incentivize the adventurers, they have made the reward for capturing Elendril two gold, and ten gold for capturing Karson and Ezekriel."

Chip's eyes bulged. 

Two gold!

They wouldn't have to work for years with two gold! 

They could finally get quality equipment with that as well!

He did not even consider the rank C+ commission. 

Chip hurriedly registered for Elendril's commission.

He rushed back to the tavern to inform his captain of this great news!

Behind him, many adventurers flocked to the board as well after hearing Roselyn's words. 

The hunt began!

-----(:)-----

As a captain of a paladin squadron, Celeste naturally had to train daily in order to stay in peak condition.

Today, however, she did not train.

Instead, she was in a strategic meeting with the other leaders of Chronosum's church branch. 

Why?

Because her goddess had sent a quest for their entire church, that was why!

Last night, it had caused an uproar.

Even though it only came from an angel of Terneim, angels were basically messengers of Terneim!

This meant it came from the goddess herself!

The leaders all sat on a large table. 

Celeste sat next to her best friend and fellow paladin squad leader, Marielle. 

With her golden hair and striking blue eyes, she had devastating beauty! 

Some in the church even dared rumor that she was an angel from heaven.

Because of her beauty, many tried to covet her.

However, her fierce personality turned them away, and when that was not enough, she would beat them for three days and three nights!

Marielle, too, was a stunning beauty, but it was either good or bad luck that she was outshone by Celeste everywhere.

Spoiler

Just like how she's getting overshadowed right here. ^^ But don't worry, she won't become cannon fodder for some protagonist.

[collapse]

Today, even the typical lecherous gazes did not land on them, because everyone was focused on the bishop.

Bishop Gray!

He was a legendary figure in the church, having managed to defeat A rank monsters and even participating in the subjugation of the past Zephyrith follower! 

Despite the supposed simplicity of the quest, which was only ranked D, no one here dared to be dismissive of it. 

They had learned their lesson from fifteen years ago, when a similarly ranked quest had appeared.

In the beginning, they had sent only two paladin squads to complete it. 

However, David, the Zephyrith follower, had grown so fast that he not only managed to annihilate the two paladin squads sent after him, but became a rank A+ fugitive!

He had devastated the Celestrian Empire, only to be finally taken down when the whole of the church united to destroy him. 

He took down three entire branches when he died. 

No one here wanted this to happen again!

Thus, all gazed apprehensively at Bishop Gray, waiting for his orders. 

As he gave out his orders, he finally called Celeste, Marielle, and another captain, Damian.

"Celeste, Marielle, Damian. You three will head towards the west, towards Falstein. Celeste, the priest with the long-range communication spell will be in your squadron."

"Yes, bishop!"

Quest: Chosen One of Zephyrith

A chosen one of Zephyrith has appeared in the Celestrian Empire. Find and kill them.

Reward: 1 million experience, Divine Blessing of Terneim

Penalty: None

I will try and stay consistent with the chapters now. Hehe.

2