2. Just When I Needed It
48 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Throw your body backward when I give the signal.]

'What?' I responded, confused by the message. A moment later, a loud voice in my ear nearly deafened me.

[Now!]

Instinctively, I obeyed the voice, which coincided with the sound of a gunshot fired by one of Bash's henchmen. The bullet, missing its intended target, struck the leg of another of Bash's lackeys, causing him to cry out in pain and collapse.

"Damn it!" shouted the shooter.

"Hey, you're such an idiot!" Bash protested. "Do your job correctly, or you'll replace him as the fish's meal!"

"Y-yes, boss!"

[Kick!] the voice commanded again, and this time, I fully trusted it. With all my strength, I kicked the leg of the man holding the pistol from the side. There was a cracking sound as his knee joint buckled, followed by a cry of pain. Without wasting any time, I relied solely on my instincts and punched him in the side of the face, rendering him helpless.

Seeing that both of his henchmen were now incapacitated, and with a sharp, followed by a vengeful gleam in my eye, Bash grinning wide in his seat, showing no signs of fear in his gaze. Arrogantly, he shoved Lyra roughly, causing her to fall from his lap. Lyra groaned as her head hit the floor but dared not protest.

"What are you doing? Face him!" Bash ordered Lyan and Terry, his two sycophantic lackeys who were as loyal as guard dogs.

Lyan and Terry advanced, following Bash's command. Something was different about the two of them; they were no longer the weak men Danzel had known. With great speed and precision, they launched simultaneous strikes at Danzel, overwhelming him.

'What should I do?' I asked for advice.

[Wait for my signal.]

[Duck!]

He shouted just in time as Terry and Lyan swung their fists from both sides, but because I dodged, their fists collided.

"Shit!" they cursed in unison.

Unfortunately, my hunched and unfavorable position quickly exploited by them. They both then kicked towards me with full force!

With my arms crossed, I shielded the front of my body. As the kicks came, I felt excruciating pain in both of my arms, probably indicating that both of my bones were cracked.

My body pushed a far, hitting the exit door and causing it to burst open. I sprawled on their porch.

[Now, escape immediately through the waterway!]

'Huh?'

[Now!]

'No! How long do you think I've been waiting for this moment?'

[If you face them now, you're definitely dead. For now, go. They're not opponents you can handle alone.]

I hesitated for a moment, but when I witnessed the unnatural change in Lyan and Terry's figures, I followed, running towards the moored boat and driving it in the direction of the water current.

"Hahaha! Run as far as you can, Harrington! Let's see how far you can escape from me!" Bash's laughter echoed, utterly disgusting. I gritted my teeth, suppressing the surging and unchanneled anger.

 

***

 

After reaching a place I deemed safe enough, which is my family's grave at Crescent Cemetery, I inquired of the system within my mind.

'What are you?'

[I am an entity that assists people in seeking revenge for injustices.]

'Is there any catch?'

[No]

'Oh, come on. Nothing is free in this world.'

[If that's what you want. The only thing we ask for in return is that the host is willing to help others as well.]

'Is that all?'

[Yes]

'Alright, that sounds easy enough. But how do I know if you're legit?'

[Facts about the disparity between the host and Merrick Corp.]

[1. Merrick Corp is a massive and hard-to-reach company.]

[2. Host is poor.]

[3. Host lacks sufficient resources and connections.]

[4. Host is weak.]

'Hey... I've been working out.' I said while flexing to show off my big and bulging muscles. But given my current situation, escaping from Lyan and Terry, I admitted.

[5. Host lacks any special skills.]

I rolled my eyes. The facts presented by this strange technology are still superficial. Anyone can see those weaknesses, which seem impossible to overcome, let alone to approach Merrick, let alone dream of wiping them out along with their sprawling business empire.

'So, what difference can you offer to cover up my weaknesses?'

[Money and Connections]

'Hmm... Interesting. How can you provide that? You can't just give me money for free, can you? What effort do I need to put in for my reward to outmatch Merrick Corp?'

[Mission: Help an old man walk his dog]

'Pftt. Are you kidding? Do you think I'm a boy scout?'

[Reward: $1,000]

'Ah, come on! You can't possibly offer that much for such a small task!'

The system screen didn't respond to me, only showing a blinking "Accept" button, waiting for me to press it.

'Ah, what's the harm.' I shrugged and pressed the accept button on the screen. After that, information about the old man I had to help appeared on the screen.

[Josh Burrow. 75 years old. Address at Sunstreet 15. Chronic arthritis. Work history: Former Head Engineer at Merrick Chemical]

'Hmm... Interesting...' I mused after seeing the information provided by the strange technology in my mind. The screen then disappeared from my view. I blinked and tapped the sides of my head, hoping the screen would reappear.

'Hah, am I hallucinating? Where did that strange technology go?' Just as I thought that, a voice sounded inside my head.

[Mission time duration: 5 hours. Complete the mission within that timeframe to get the reward]

'Alright, there's no harm in trying. Even though it's completely beyond reason. I didn't know technology has advanced so rapidly.'

I then stood up from my kneeling position, gazing at the three tombstones with the names of my loved ones. I promised to avenge them. I will never rest until Bash Merrick and his family are no longer alive in this world.

"Sis, I will make sure that bastard gets a revenge far more painful than what he did to you. Mom, Dad... For you, I will send the heads of Tom and Margaret Merrick, the two people who disgraced our family so lowly. Pray for me to succeed, Sis , Mom, Dad. I know you can't rest peacefully until your revenge is paid. Because I'm the same."

With determined steps, I left Crescent Cemetery, the public cemetery in this city with the crescent moon logo.

On foot, I searched for the address of old Mr. Burrow, which was an old house with leaning wooden walls, its paint faded with time, and its yard filled with wild plants, making it look like an uninhabited house.

The rusty iron gate swung open on one side as I pushed it. The sound of the old iron was loud as I opened it.

"WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!" The barking of two dogs greeted me as Mr. Burrow, the old man in a wheelchair, forced open the wire door of his house and pointed a gun at me as I stood at the entrance. I raised my hands.

"Who are you! Get out of here!" The old man was just as fierce as his two large Doberman dogs.

'Damn! No wonder the payment is so high. Those dogs are almost as tall as my waist!' I cursed inwardly but determined to get the tempting reward, I wouldn't give up easily.

"Wait, I heard you need help to take your dogs for a walk?"

"Where did you hear that from?!"

'What should I say? Hey, system, give me a clue.'

[Say you heard it from Mrs. Han at the town hall]

"I heard it from Mrs. Han at the town hall."

"Hmph! How do I know you won't steal my dogs?"

"I can take you as well. You will hold the leash, and I will push your wheelchair. How about that? We can also go to the supermarket if you want."

"Are you okay with the payment? I don't have more money than that."

Hmm, I don't know how much that old man offered, but it couldn't be more than what the system promised. Better to play it safe. "Yes, I don't mind. Right now, I need all the money I can get."

Mr. Burrow looked skeptical, but after a moment, he lowered his gun and said, "Okay, wait for me to get ready."

"WOOF WOOF!!" The two Dobermans continued to bark.

"Quiet!" Mr. Burrow commanded, and the two dogs immediately fell silent, obeying their owner's order. "Good boy..." Mr. Burrow praised them as he petted their heads before continuing inside the house.

Remind me not to mess with Mr. Burrow. I still want to live long.

The day went by without drama, although Mr. Burrow didn't talk much, and we mostly walked in silence. I managed to complete the mission earlier than requested. Mr. Burrow gave me $30 in cash, which I accepted without protest.

As I was about to leave Mr. Burrow's, he said something that made me freeze in place.

"Did the information you receive was that both of your parents died by suicide?"

My eyes widened at his sudden words. Who is this old man to bring up such a sensitive topic? I turned back to face him, this time no longer putting on a friendly appearance. My fists were ready to punch his jaw, regardless of his disability.

"Save your anger for Merrick. It is to them that your rage should be directed," he said calmly.

"Tell me what you know," I commanded, my tone icy.

The old man stared back at me, with the same cold stare and a smirk on his lips.

1