4. Dandelion
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[These documents will be useful for your future purposes.]

The system provided a suggestion without me asking after my frustration subsided.

"Sir, may I take all these documents with me?"

"Of course, take them with you. Perhaps all this information will be more useful if you have it."

Mr. Burrow's gaze now drifted far out of his window, observing the procession of clouds in the sky that was about to bring rain. I knew that wasn't what caught his attention, as his pupils lacked vitality.

 

However, since it was our first meeting, I didn't find Mr. Burrow's behavior strange. Instead, I thanked him for allowing me to carry such crucial information. I was certain he had gathered all of this with great effort.

"I'll be leaving now, Sir. Is there anything else you need from me?"

Mr. Burrow shook his head and gestured for me to leave the room. Without being prompted, I lightly patted his shoulder.

"I will avenge them, Sir. I will make them fall into a pit of mud and not give them a chance to rise again."

"Do you promise?"

"Yes, there's also the vengeance of these people that I have to settle," I said, showing him the documents I was holding. Mr. Burrow nodded in agreement and looked at me with hope.

"I know you can do it, Danzel. We'll owe you."

"I should be the one thanking you, Sir. At least with the documents you've given me, I know where to start."

"I hope you succeed."

"Thank you, Sir," I bid farewell and turned to leave his presence when he said something else.

"If you need something, you might want to visit Bertha. Tell her you have a recommendation from me."

"Of course, Sir."

This time, I truly left Mr. Burrow's rundown house and returned to my shabby motel.

[Ding! Congratulations on your first mission.]

[Reward $1000 has been sent to your account.]

'Hmm, it seems like I should get out of this dingy motel as soon as possible. Can you recommend another accommodation that's safer?'

[Of course.]

The system provided a list of suitable accommodations as per my request. I was carrying important documents, and it wouldn't be safe for me to stay here. I then chose an inn located on the outskirts of town but still easily accessible to everywhere.

[Good choice. You'll be pleased to meet Rocky there; he's a friendly owner.]

'Did I just detect a hint of sarcasm from you?'

[As a system, we don't engage in conversations involving emotions like that.]

'Okay, then is he a good guy?'

[Depends.]

'Can he be trusted?'

[Depends.]

'Hmm, so much for "not-having-emotions."'

[No comment]

I rolled my eyes and prepared to leave the inn, grabbing my old backpack and whatever was in it. I headed to the reception area to find the stern female guard from earlier. It was already late when I arrived there, and I found her lying on the sofa, holding a nearly finished joint in her hand and exhaling smoke, her eyes half-open.

"I'm leaving, here's the key."

"Hmmm... Why so soon? I haven't had a chance to try your hard shaft inside mine. Didn't the warden tell you that's a requirement for me to be able to provide a good behavior report to the prison head?"

What a cheap woman. Imagining losing my virginity to her for the first time makes me shudder. However, to prevent the police from searching for me again, I need that good behavior report from her as the supervisor here.

"Fine, but I'll do it my way."

"Whatever, handsome, as long as I can enjoy that... you know," she said with a horny expression, giving me a sly wink. Well, if she thinks I'm eager to see her cheap and disgusting behavior, she's completely mistaken. If it weren't for needing her, I'd need a bucket to contain my disgust.

"Turn off the light and put on a blindfold," I commanded her.

"Oh my, you naughty boy... Very demanding. This is the first time a guy has been so shy around me. Okay, I'll do as you wish."

The overweight old woman with nicotine-stained teeth turned off the light. Before anything happened, I already felt dirty. My heart was strongly rejecting all of this, it was almost happening if I hadn't heard her sentence in the darkness.

"You're just as cheap as your sister..."

'System, can you find out about this woman and any information that could corner her for me to use as a threat?'

[Darcy, 59 years old. Single with 1 child, but abandoned her child at an orphanage 29 years ago. The child - Elle, is now working as a sex worker on the streets. Elle is currently being targeted by the police as a drug dealer.]

'Okay, that's very useful information.'

"Oh, really? Were those the same words you used on Elle? Are you proud that your child is following in your footsteps?"

"You insolent brat! Shut your mouth, you damn kid! Speak again, and our deal is off. You can go back to rotting in jail because I'll write something nasty about you!"

"Oh, really? Go ahead... It'll be easier for me to tell the police about Gatsby's drug dealer if you do. The police will be thrilled to get their hands on Gatsby's lackey... Oh, I can't wait to share this information with them."

"No! Th-that's not it... You wouldn't dare."

"Oh, really? Just try me if you don't believe it."

"W-what do you want?!" Her earlier bravado evaporated, I turned on the light and found her standing in the corner with a frightened expression. I approached her, stroking her wrinkled and sagging cheek covered in excess fat. Her teeth were yellow, and her breath stank.

"I don't like being threatened. You know what you should write in that letter, right?"

The woman nodded quickly.

"Good. Do it, and we'll pretend this difference of opinion never happened, or your daughter's name will replace mine in prison."

"Yes, but how do you know that information? I haven't even told anyone about my daughter."

"Ah, Darcy... Sorry, Deborah. Oh, surprised that I know your real name too? Now that you know my capabilities, don't ask too many questions, just do as I ask."

"O-of course. Consider it done."

"Good, I'll know if you're being dishonest."

I left that disgusting cramped room and headed to the new inn using a taxi since it was quite far away. It was an old yet sturdy house with a spacious, enclosed yard.

Mr. Rocky, an 80-year-old man who lived with his daughter Anneke, greeted me outside. His smile was very welcoming. With a bit of nervousness, he asked, "Are you Mr. Rupert, who reserved a room here?"

"Yes, that's right. I hope I'm not disturbing your rest," I tried to be friendly.

"Of course not, sir. We're very pleased to welcome you. Please, come in... Anne!" he suddenly shouted, and a girl emerged at his call.

The woman had wavy honey-colored hair and was wearing a knee-length casual dress and sneakers. Walking with a slight tiptoe, for some reason, her captivating presence reminded me of a dandelion.

1