6. Unfolded
25 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Here," Dr. Bertha pointed to a newspaper clipping that reported a house fire in the city center, which happened 11 years ago.

 

Memories of that event were triggered; at that time, I was still a freshman at Merrick High School. I lost a classmate, Jeanette. The second prettiest girl in my class after Lyra. She and Lyra were close friends, a pair of beautiful women who attracted attention wherever they went. Jeanette's tragic death brought me closer to Lyra, and we eventually started dating. Because I was there for her during the times of her depression over losing Jean.

 

"Jeanette was your daughter? I'm sorry for your loss, doctor. But what does this have to do with Merrick?"

 

"Do you know what she said the day before our house burned down? She was harassed by Bash and his lackeys. In the riverside cabin, just like your sister Helen... I went to their house to threaten them, telling them that if Bash wasn't imprisoned, I would expose the illegal organ trade that their hospital was involved in."

 

"So, Bash's heinous act on Helen wasn't a one-time occurrence? Jean also fell victim to Bash, Terry, and Lyan? And now this, they were involved in illegal organ trafficking? How is that even possible?"

 

"It's possible. No family dares to protest when they bring their loved ones in with minor illnesses, only to suddenly be sent into the operating room and then die on the operating table. They're silenced with statements like 'we did our best', when in reality, their family members' organs have been flown to their wealthy clients. We doctors can't do anything about it, because you know what happens when someone speaks up."

 

"But doctor... As far as I remember, Jeanette's entire family died at that time, right?"

 

"After I threatened them, I sneaked the body of a man out of the cold storage, which I planned to use as evidence to expose their crimes. I didn't anticipate that my decision would be useful; they thought it was me without digging deeper. But my face will never be the same again." Dr. Bertha pointed to his severely damaged face.

 

"So, for the past 11 years... Where have you been?"

 

"I've been fighting everywhere, gathering Merrick's victims. Since we can't fight them openly, we do it covertly. Sometimes there are warehouse fires in this factory, or large amounts of stock missing from that store, or cars they drive suddenly losing control, that's what we can do. Pathetic, isn't it? Small actions that can't even shake up their lives. We're like cockroaches compared to them, yet we refuse to stay silent and just accept their cruel treatment. Especially when they can still enjoy themselves after all the heinous deeds they've done."

“... For the past 10 years, I've felt alone. I never thought I'd have a friend who shares my fate and burden.” I whispered.

 

Dr. Bertha patted my back, “Now you have us, Danzel.”

 

“By the way, how did you know that my name is Danzel?”

 

“Of course, I know. Even Mr. Rocky and Anneke know who you are. But using an alias is also a good idea. Learn to cover your tracks from now on if you don't want Merrick's lackeys to throw you back into jail just because they don't like seeing you free.”

 

“But I've already served my sentence.”

 

“Do you think they can't do that? Just the fact that you're still breathing bothers them, let alone your history that's capable of hurting Bash's annoying son! I'm truly grateful to you for that time. Because I've always failed to find a way to separate Bash's head from his body. For 11 years, Jean and my wife Gina couldn't find peace because I couldn't avenge them. I felt like a failure.”

 

“But... none of you ever approached me before this. I thought I was the only one suffering.”

 

“Approaching you in Merrick's territory would be suicide, Dan. We have to live and witness Merrick's downfall with our own eyes, no matter when the time comes.”

 

“I want to join.”

 

“Of course, we welcome you with open arms. But before that, we need to do something.” Dr. Bertha concluded and then ushered me out of the room.

 

I followed him past the reception desk, hoping to meet Anne again, but my hopes were dashed as Mr. Rocky was on duty.

 

“I see you've met with Dr. Bertha, Mr. Danzel,” Mr. Rocky greeted me warmly. I was surprised but also blushed, sheepishly running my hand through my hair. They knew who I was; my attempt to conceal my name seemed to have become a joke in their eyes.

 

“Sir, we need to use the white room.”

 

“Sure, doctor.” Mr. Rocky then pushed a wooden peg hanging with the number 17 key into the wall until it disappeared. I furrowed my brows, not understanding his actions.

 

“Come on,” Dr. Bertha invited me to a small room that seemed like a storage area for cleaning supplies. The place was cramped. Why did Dr. Bertha bring me here? I felt like he was playing around, and I was about to leave when he pulled a duster hanging there.

Suddenly, the room started moving downward! It was a secret elevator leading to a spacious underground chamber.

 

“The duster can't be pulled unless Mr. Rocky inserts a wooden lever into that key panel,” Dr. Bertha explained, finally clarifying it for me.

 

“Hello, Mr. Rupert,” Anne greeted with a grin. She was facing a multi-display computer setup showing various live views of the city. Even the CCTV cameras above the prison gate were visible. They knew my every move!

 

Wait... Is she the "system"? If so, then all of this is starting to make sense. Wait, I need to try it first.

 

‘Hey, are you Anne?’

[...]

 

The screen blinked, and I anxiously waited for the response to appear.

2