Chapter 9: Shorelock
245 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Night fell over Greenfield, the large reinforced concrete walls have crumbled down to the ground leaving the ruins of the city exposed to the wild. The stars could not be seen because of the enormous cloud of dark smoke but the moonlight from the full moon shone through the hole in the cloud of smoke.  A giant portal, a swirling blue vortex contained within a circle of steel regulate by white-robed Mages. Their faces could not be seen as they all wore silver mask which hid their features except for their eyes. Trailing behind the swirling blue vortex was a line of people. In that line, I stood near the front along with Rishi and Hatsu. The pain of losing the home I lived in for over half my life hurt me. All the precious memories I made, gone just as the flames did to the city. Yet, I did not weep. 

Greenfield was destroyed in a matter of hours from an intense battle between a wyvern horde controlled by one of the 72 Demon Generals, Berith, and an unknown Silver Knight who shone like a ray of hope in the sky. The news has not been released by the Church but it would be the next morning. It was surreal, right out of a dream. Only those who witnessed the scene would understand the piercing light splitting the three realms apart. Was it the Silver Knight who was the true Savior? Was it an error that Eren Mandell was declared the Savior five years ago? Questions arose amongst the murmuring crowd of people. I also wondered that myself. What was the purpose of the Hero Game System? Why did it choose me to be its next Owner? What purpose does I, a commoner, serve in this Game? Did grandfather know about this?

Deep in thought, Hatsu nudges my face with his paw. Then Rishi looks at me.

"Hello, are you there Andrew?" He waved his hand in front of my face to get my attention.

"Arf!" Hatsu barked.

I snapped back into reality, my vision, a bit hazy due straining my green eyes from dazing.

"Yeah," I slightly flinch as my pupils return to normal.

Rishi holds out his hand.

"My herbs from today."

"You kidding right?" I said with astonishment.

"Hey, there for my research. I just need a bit more time before I make a breakthrough in Alchemy history! I'll even pay you 900 Kalas for it!"

"Where do you even get that kind of money from?" I pouted with jealousy.

Nine hundred Kalas was a lot of money. With nine hundred Kalas, one could purchase a Bronze Rank staff. My staff is only a hand me down Iron Rank staff I received as a graduation gift from the Magic Academy.

"Hey," he whispered, "you've got to remember that I'm from a Noble family."

"Pishah," I laughed, "it's only a low ranking noble family. You're only a little wealthier than most commoners."

"Excuse me!" he sassed, "I am the proud son of the Seohang family from Northwood!"

"Yeah, still a low ranking noble." I shrugged.

"I'm not paying you." He snickered.

"You wouldn't dare..." I gasped as I rolled up my sleeves getting ready to punch him.

"I'm kidding! I'm kidding! I'm kidding!" He screamed putting his hands up in defeat.

"You better."

He opens his storage space tossing his silver briefcase into it and sticks his arm in. I could see his veins on his arm popping out, his face fumed with rage but his eyes still showed the same honesty he's had since we were kids. Fishing out a small wallet, he takes out nine blue 100 Kala bills and hands them to me. I take a look at the bills to verify that they are genuine. On the front of the bill is a number 100 placed in the top right-hand corner of the bill. Flat in the middle of the bill was an image of the current head of the Church, Pope Lucas Reese, the youngest Pope in history at the age of only eighteen and a Platinum ranked Adventurer. Every detail about him was punctuated of each 100 Kala bill with a different shade of blue ink. The over-gelled hair of his with a model worthy smile on his face topped off with that fabulous stipped necktie. Yup, it was real.

I place the bills in my storage space for safekeeping and hold out my hand.

"Transaction complete!" I give Rishi a cheeky grin.

"It was a pleasure doing business with you." He replies in a terribly imitated business tone shaking my hand in kind. 

We both laugh.

"Honestly," he begins, "900 Kalas is a small price to pay for all those ingredients. The Red Ginseng alone cost up to 4000 Kalas per root in an auction."

"Wow, so you're using me and saving yourself 10000 Kalas every time I make a trip out like that? You need to pay me 2000 Kalas more for that." I coughed.

"I'll cover Hatsu's food expenses instead for the next few years." Rishi gave me a thumbs up.

"You just really want to see Hatsu more often." I sigh.

He let out a fake gasp.

"Dang, how did you know."

"You're too easy to read," I said punching him on the shoulder.

"Hey, get your passport ready. We're almost at the portal." One of the guards closer to the portal reminded. 

I open my bag and take out my passport, shiny brown booklet with a golden seal on it. On its worn-out pages, I only had one stamp, it was a red lighthouse with a ship parked at its base. That was the first time I passed through the portal from Shorelock to Greenfield but now, I was heading back to the place I left ten years ago. I wondered how mom and dad are doing, even Ethan. Suddenly, memories of the past flooded through my mind.

"Hey," one of the Portal Guards wearing a silver mask called, "your passport."

I hand it to him without any hesitation. He flipped through the pages quickly then looks up at Hatsu sitting on my shoulder.

"Is that your contracted pet Mr.Halycon?" He asks in a stern tone.

"Yes," I replied with honesty, "I was going to get him registered today but today happened."

"I understand. Please pass through the portal with your pet while holding your passport. The portal will register your pet in your passport as you pass through." He instructs as he stamps my passport.

Wow. Portal technology has improved this much over the last ten years. Procedures for registering a contracted pet were a lot harder a decade ago.

I take a look at the stamp. It was a green oak tree leaf enclosed in a wreath, the city symbol for Greenfield.

"Let's go," I say tapping the tired Hatsu on my shoulder.

"Arf!" he barked.

I stepped through the swirling blue vortex. The swirls blinded me for a second but I continued walking through it until I felt a small drop. I pull my other foot through the portal and then the rest of my body. Hatsu, sticking onto my shoulder like glue, closed his eyes not quite understanding the new sensation he was feeling. Letting my face pop out of the portal, I take one look around. I was standing on top of a tall building with a wire fence surrounding the ends. Beyond those fences were tall skyscrapers, their bright lights illuminating the city's in all different colors. To my right, there was a perfect view of the Rimstone River where the lights of cruise and evening boats gliding down the calm river shone as brightly as the stars in the sky. On a hill in the distance, was a coliseum where large blimps with Jumbotrons broadcasts the latest matches between popular contenders. Behind, the swirling vortex was still ejecting people from Greenfield. 

The stars shimmered in the night sky as the warm end summer breeze passed my face. Around me, were the portal attendants who were all at least Bronze Rank Adventurers standing ready to greet those who pass through the portal.

"Welcome to Shorelock." The greeted in unison.

I ignore them and walk down the stairs leading from the exit of the portal. Portals are too big to put indoors so most would be set up on tall buildings run by wealthy business tycoons and in emergencies such as this one, the Church will allow citizens to use theirs. Right now, we were standing on top of the Church's headquarters in Shorelock. Hatsu finally opened his eyes and took a look around. He nudged my face with his paw wondering when the day will end.

"Don't worry Hatsu, everything is okay," I reassured, "We're almost home." 

Hatsu nodded then fell back asleep on my shoulder letting his fluffy tail coil around my neck. It was soft yet ticklish.

Halfway down the marble stairs, Rishi waits for me on the ground waiting in a long line of people.

"You made it safely." He said.

"Of course, except Hatsu here has fallen asleep."

"Pup needs his rest to grow big and strong am I right?" He laughed.

"So what's your plan?" I asked.

Placing his hand on his chin he pauses for a moment before speaking.

"Well, the Church just sent an email to the refugees saying that if they have relatives in Shorelock, have them stay with them for a week as they arrange residency for them here. So that's what I'm doing. Luckily my uncle lives here so I'm going to crash at his place but the problem is my younger cousins."

"I've met them once about a couple years ago." I remembered vaguely.

"Yup, quite a handful aren't they." He facepalms.

"Haha," I nervously chuckle feeling bad for him.

"How about you?" He asked in return.

"Same as you. I'm going to stay with my family until the Church arranges residencies for us."

"If I remember correctly, you haven't seen your family in 5 years."

"Not directly but I've done video calls with them every week as a status update so it doesn't feel like I ever left Shorelock." I chuckled.

"Feeling nostalgic there aren't you?"

"A little," I smile, "a little." 

3