Chapter 20: The Debut of Ren
249 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After scrolling through the [Hundred Quests] list last night, I found that I could do quests outside of the list and that would account toward the [Hundred Quests] completion. In other words, the quests on the list are just recommendations but they are the easiest and fastest ones to complete at my level. Then I realized, I could complete several sequences quests, such as the ones towards the end of the [Hundred Quests] list, and have half of the [Hundred Quests] completed in a week! So far, I've only completed one-tenth of the list but that wasn't fast enough but with sequence quests, I could complete the list in one thrid the time I planned. With that in mind, I rushed out of the condo at nine, leaving Hatsu at home, and took a twenty-minute transit ride to the Stadium.

Disembarking off the train, I follow some groups of well-dressed Adventurers up a flight of stairs. Taking a sharp right, light filters from the exit. More groups of Adventurers and spectators merge together and jostle me around. After suffocating in the crowd, I emerge, successfully, unscathed from the exit. I've arrived. Before my eyes were multiple large marble colosseums with Jumbotrons attached around their circumferences. On the screens of the Jumbotrons, scenes of Adventurers wiping out their opponents with their fist or weapons flashed while special effects made those victories seem more glorious. At the same time, other Jumbotrons showed rankings of fighters in each bracket with each fighter using an alias. In the Stadium, one could be whoever they wanted without others knowing who they were. The Stadium respects the privacy of their fighters and won't disclose a fighter's information even if bribed. Many fighters came from the underground while others are just Adventurers trying to gain experience. As such, many would come to the Stadium to build their reputation while others would come for generous rewards. From participating in a match alone, one could earn a quick two hundred kalas even if they lost but the winners could gain weapons, resources, even sponsors! But the consequences of losing vary depending on opponents. Most play fair but on some occasions, there are some nutjobs that go on a murder spree, which is legal in the Colesseum. But I wasn't here for the fame or glory. The [Hundred Quests] list was my top priority and I will complete it, by all means, even killing but only if they try to kill me first. 

Fighting my way through the crowd, I reach the entrance of the main colosseum, a building with seven levels. Inside was more spacious than I thought. Spectators were lined up with their tickets while fighters showed their IDs as guards waved them into a waiting room. Stairs spiraled within the colosseum marble interior to different areas making me feel nauseous. Behind the gates, flight platforms, platforms that levitate using mana stones, for announcers were launched every minute. To the left, dressing rooms were available and benches lined the walls of the dressing rooms with plants separating them. Looking around inconspicuously, I duck into an isolated corner of the stadium underneath a flight of stairs. Opening the Hero Game System, I equip the [Assassin's Clothing]. Suddenly, a dim light engulfed my body and in the blink of an eye, my body was clad in black. Coming out of my corner, I blend in with the crowd and walked over to a nearby mirror. Taking a quick glance, not only had my attire changed, my hair became a fluffy snow white and my eyes became a bright gold from their usual soft green. Additionally, a small black mole appeared under my right eye and the bottom half of my face was covered by a mask giving me a mysterious vibe. I've become a completely different person! And so, I've decided to give this new identity a name, Ren.

Since I was going under the guise of an assassin, I might as well have the demeanor of one. Although the clothes gave off that vibe, I wanted to enhance it to make it seem more convincing. As such, I equipped the [Moonlight Dagger] and the [Wolfang Dagger] and placed their sheaths on the back of my belt. Both were similar in appearances but they had different properties. The [Moonlight Dagger] was twenty percent sharper and lighter than normal daggers around the same rank. On the other hand, the [Wolfang Dagger] had a forty percent chance to inflict [Bleed] on the opponent. Today, these were my weapons of choice and they were ready to draw first blood.

Walking up to the registration counter, a receptionist hands me a form that I fill out with my fake name and class. Once registered, she whips out a camera and takes a picture. Without saying anything, she hands me my ID card and gestures to a waiting room. Understanding her, I immediately head over to the waiting room. Showing the guard stationed there my ID card, he waves me through. Nodding to him in thanks, I rush inside. The waiting room was not as lavish as the lobby, it was small and there were a few wooden benches and about a hundred fighters, most of them, buff or clad with heavy armor and weapons. Looking at the newcomer who just entered, eyes were narrowed at me with curiosity. Feeling somewhat intimidated, I wandered into the far corner, leaned against the wall, and crossed my arms in a lazy fashion.

"Be careful of the assassin." I heard some whisper.

"That guy, he's strong." Others muttered under their breath.

The [Disguise Prop] was even better than I thought it was. Everyone had their eyes on me. Some were trying to figure out what Family I'm from while others tried to figure out my age or ethnicity. Internally, I scoffed. It makes sense though. By identifying one's Family, one can identify a general Skill or Skillset that their opponent will use against them. By identifying that Skillset, one can determine if he or she can defeat their opponent or stand some chance against them. Most of the time, fighters would try to avoid fighters from Noble Family as their Skillsets and techniques are usually more profound than those from dojos or Academies or fighters that are higher than them in rank. Unfortunately, even if they identify my 'Family', it's going to be incorrect.

Today's fight will be a battle royale. In the Stadium, battle royales are a way to assign new fighters a ranking. The ranking system is the same as the Adventurers Guild; however, the highest rank one can achieve in a battle royale is around Iron Rank 500s. Despite being relatively low, if one can achieve that by being victorious in a battle royale when they first debut in the Stadium, that's a feat on its own which is what I'm trying to achieve. According to the fighters, the battle royal would begin in a few minutes and when it does, friends become enemies. Luckily, I didn't have to worry about that as I have no emotional connection to these people but I will feel some sort of pity if they get eliminated early on. Anyhow, the rules of the battle royale were simple, use whatever means to be the last one standing, death is permitted. Even though I knew people were going to kill each other, it never crossed my mind that I was probably going to die today. Was this normal? Or was I just crazy? I would say the latter.

Suddenly, a door on the other side of the small room opens. A blond elven male wearing glasses and a shirt indicating he was a Stadium employee slams the door against the wall.

"All fighters, prepare to enter!" He announced.

Everyone hastily grabs their weapons and lines up at the door. Counting the fighters, the employee waves us through the narrow door, some fighters weapons bumping the edges causing small scratches to form. Looking side to side, we walk through a long hallway decorated with images of previous Champions and other glorious figures throughout the Stadium's history. Some whom everyone knows: Lucas Reeves, the current Pope, and Eren Mandell, Savior. Both of them are first-class fighters in the Stadium and are granted VIP privileges to observe any Stadium fight for free!  Unfortunately, neither of them was here today but usually, they would cause an uproar with their appearances alone. Even a wave of their hand can drive a crowd nuts. Heck, whenever either of them fought in the Stadium, tickets would sell out before you could snap. Nevertheless, the Stadium was full of exciting battles and battle royales were no exception. Even for the lowest of battle royales, there was often bloodshed which drives the audience nuts.  

Finally, we've arrived. At the end of the long hallway, was an open space. There, hundreds of fighters averted their attention towards us. Their eyes, like savage beasts.

"Fresh meat." I could hear them chant. It sent chills down my spine.

These fighters were probably Bronze Ranked or higher meaning they weren't weak. They were probably fighters that have been here multiple times so of course, they would be boasting their confidence. However, no one paid any mind to them and just kept their eyes on the employee. Making eye contact with any of these savages was equivalent to instigating a fight and for us rookies, it probably wasn't smart to start a fight with these 'veterans'. According to the employee, we will be entering after the battle royale in the colosseum finishes which should be about, now. Suddenly, a trap door opens and a fighter drenched with blood holding a broadsword emerges. The fighter is panting and his face was beyond recognition but he was smiling. That guy was the winner of this battle. It must have been rough for him to achieve that victory. Meanwhile, another trap door opens from above and unconscious fighters fall into a cage below. White clothed medics rush over to the fighters and immediately cast healing magic on the ones on death's door. Some have broken or dislocated limbs while others were bleeding from heavy wounds. Others were just unconscious and in the mix, a couple have died. This was normal in the Stadium that's why fighters sign a form when they register: the Stadium will not be held accountable if the fighter dies. It truly is a cruel place. The weak are weeded out and the strong survive. It's a dog eat dog world but this is how the best of the best, the cream of the crop, are chosen. 

Trying to ignore the gruesome scene, the employee calls while pushing his glasses: "It's time."

The employee gestures to two guards who nod their heads then open the colosseum gates. With no hesitation, everyone strides towards the light filtering from the entrance. This was the beginning of the road to fame and fortune. Emerging from the entrance, the cheers and roses of the full colosseum could be heard. Banners of already popular figures were raised by audience members as confetti rained down from the sky. People cheering for their friends, others betting on who would be the victor, scouts looking for potential, all kinds of people were here to observe today's battle royal. Suddenly, an announcer in a posh suit on a flight platform begins circling the arena as the gates behind us shut tightly.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the Ranking Battle Royale!" 

"Woooooooohhhh!" The crowd roared. 

Flinging his arms out, the announcer continued: "Today, we shall find our next Champion! Who shall emerge victoriously? I have no idea! It up to the Heavens. Who will the Goddess of Victory shine her light on today? Well, we'll find out! Now countdown with me! Five!" 

"Five!" The audience repeated. 

"Four!" 

"Four!" 

"Three!" At three, fighters began readying their weapons, however, I kept mine in their sheaths.

"Three!" The audience cheered. 

"Two!" At two, fighters got into a battle stance but I remained calm and collected. 

"Two!" The audience grew louder. 

"One!" All the fighters turned their attention to me. 

"One!" 

"Let the Battle Royale begin!" The announcer yelled swinging his arm down.  

The moment the announcer finished swinging his arm, a burly man charges at me head front with his broadsword in hopes he could overwhelm with his strength. I could even feel the killing intent coming from his blade. Unfortunately, HE WAS TOO SLOW! As he got within a meter, I swiftly unsheathed my [Wolfang Dagger] and slashed at the man's neck. Slash. Not even a drop of blood was on the dangerously sharp, curved blade. Behind me, the man's head was severed from his body and the body fell with a thud on the arena's stone stage. Silence. The audience stopped cheering and everyone stops fighting. Faces full of shock and horror were seen within my line of sight, not even one person had their mouth shut. The pause was very brief until I took the initiative to talk. 

"My bad,"  I began in a sadistic tone twirling the [Wolfang Dagger] in my hands, "he was too weak so I thought I might get rid of him first but now, now that he's dead, how about I give you guys a swift death?" 

I. Have. Gone. Nuts. Adrenaline rushed to my head like a typhoon and I could feel my face, my body, trembling with excitement. I snapped.

"You brat!" A hotheaded fighter cried, "you killed Broadsword Bob and now you want us to die? You must be courting death!" 

"Yeah!" the whole stadium protested. 

"Who said I was courting death?" I glared at her with bloodlust. "This ain't some manhua ya know."  

"You..."she gritted clenching her brass knuckles, "DIE!" 

Good, I've provoked him. The girl charged at me in the same fashion, with mana coating her fist, as the burly guy and thrusted out a series of punches. Each one with dangerous killing intent. However, using [Wind Step] I disappeared from her eyes and in the blink of an eye, in the next moment, I was behind her with a dagger to her neck. Without hesitation, I decapitated her just as swiftly as the broadsword guy. Blood gushed from her severed body while not even a drop landing on me. 

My eyes remained emotionless but my mind was screaming. What the heck was I doing?! It was is a second, hidden personality that emerged from deep in my consciousness. My primal instincts, perhaps. Succumbing to this second crazy personality, since my survival in this battle royale depended on it, I taunted every standing fighter. Hanging the dagger over my shoulder, a cruel smile formed under my mask. With a wave of my finger, I blurted out words in a tone that I could never do as Andrew.   

"Anyone else?"          

This was my favorite chapter to type. Andrew has let his second personality take over. One more thing I forgot to mention if you are wondering why the names of the main characters from HG and HDW are so similar it is because, similar to the Kala situation, I wrote HDW before HG. If you have read stories/mangas by the author of Astro Boy, you will notice he recycles character designs and names. I originally had that idea in mind and have each character from my stories to be 'actors'. For instance, the 'actor' for Drew would be the same as Andrew. 

Fun Fact: Here are some of the 'actor' equivalents for HG and HDW.

Andrew Halycon = Drew Li 

Ray Levine = Wan Louis 

Lucas Reeves = Elias Ryhard 

2