Chapter 6: Berith
301 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was at a disadvantage, I was not fighting one versus one rather, a two versus one. Berith had his Red Wyvern while I had a seemingly overpowered cheat, the Hero Game System. However, I only got the system not even two hours ago so I do not have many skills besides the ones I got from killing Berith's wyverns. Plus, the armor set is only at Purple Gold Rank. Would it be sufficient to defeat Berith?

Berith was a high demon general from the Central Continent with many years of battle experience plus half of his wyvern army was still alive. He could be a despicable coward and force the rest of his army at me but why did he decide to call them back? I just could not understand, my brows furrowing in confusion. Weren't demons despicable beings? After all, Berith wasn't fighting me one-on-one so I guess that can still be considered despicable. 

"You know," he began unsheathing his longsword, "I've always loved to fight but I have not found a worthy opponent in fifty years. Can you, perhaps, quench my thirst for battle?"

Not knowing my opponent's skill level and insecure about my own, I choose to bluff. I needed to stall some time in order to level up all the skills I got from slaughtering Berith's Wyverns.

"We'll see, I suppose," I spoke in a monotone voice brandishing my sword.

"Haha," he snickered, "I like you already Mr.Knight. Let me recite something. On this glorious battlefield reigned by crimson pillars of flames, ashes fall from the sky like snow. Both beautiful yet possess hidden darkness to them. Oh, the deities of war of Heaven and Hell, which of us contenders will be favored by you? Will our Demonic Empire reign over this battlefield of darkness or will the Knight pierce the Heavens, vanquish this sick darkness from the burning plains of Greenfield, save his damsel allowing his country to continue their reign? I wonder, who will be victorious?"

To be honest, I am quite sick of his extravagant rhetoric. Thanks to his monologue, I was able to upgrade a few skills for insurance.

[Flame Magic] has been upgraded to Intermediate Level 7. [Petrification] has been upgraded to Beginner level 8. [Poison] has been upgraded to Intermediate Level 1. Finally, [Wind Step] had been upgraded to Intermediate Level 3. Thus, for every level I raise a skill, all my stats go up by one for a total of 49 increase in stats. Additionally, with the 10x multiplier on the armor, all my stats increase by 490, Heaven Defying!

"Now Mr.Knight, shall we begin?" Berith asked in an arrogant tone.

"Let's get this over with."

Berith decided to make the first move. Holding my broadsword tightly, I readied a defensive stance. Charging at me like a wild bull, Berith swung his longsword, which I blocked effortlessly, but the energy from each strike made a deafening ring in my ears. The power from his first strike created a strong gust of wind. The wind created from the collision made a crater in the ground below. I spot Hatsu only centimeters from the newly formed crater. In relief of surviving the attack, Hatsu laid on its back. Meanwhile, the Red Wyvern just stayed where it was. 

It's not attacking? Why? Anyways, Berith is truely honorable if that's the case. 

"Your strong Mr.Knight, you blocked my first attack. Not many can do that!" Berith raised a brow with a hint of astonishment.

Then, the next moment, his face contorted into one of a crazed beast. His pupils shrunk, and he went into a frenzy, swiftly waving his sword, dealing one heavy blow after another. With my speed buffed drastically by the armor, I manage to parry to his attack with the cold blade aura only centimeters away from my face. 

"I knew it, you are my fated opponent. The one who can revive my lust for battle!"

That was scary. He's fast. I thought as sweat trickled down my face but I had to continue to bluff to make it out of this one.

"If you want to land a hit on me, you'll have to try better than that!" I yelled parrying his sword once more with a bit more strength.

Feeling the excitement of the battle yet intimidated, Berith jumped back onto his Red Wyvern.

"That was just a warmup Mr.Knight!" He spat not wanting to lose against a 'no named Knight'.

Black and golden sparks flew off our swords just like the clash between Light and Dark. Every time Berith took the initiative to attack, I parried him just as effortlessly as his last strikes. His strikes were swift and heavy at the same time and it does not seem like he will tire himself out soon. If so then, I will have to strike back.

"What's wrong Mr.Knight? Don't tell me you can't attack." He mocked as he sped toward me in an instant.

Using a bit more power to push Berith back, I readied my sword to attack.

"Very well. I will attack as you wish." I spat.

"Come on! Hit me with what you got!" He taunted sticking up a middle finger.

Luckily I did not fall for the taunt and act rashly. Instead, I charged up a [Wind Blade] and with a hundred percent power, I swung my broadsword at Berith who was standing on his Red Wyvern like a clueless duck. Unfortunately, he sensed the danger in the crescent-shaped blade too late. With almost no time to defend, Berith leaped off his Red Wyvern and let the powerful [Wind Blade] cleave his ride in half. Even though he jumped off, his horn was grazed by the edge of the [Wind Blade]. Cutting off a Demon's horns was the equivalent of destroying their pride. Realizing Savior was in the Red Wyvern's claw, I instantly flew to her falling limp body. Catching her in my arms, I set her down on the ground next to Ray and Hatsu.

From below I notice Berith's eyes widened and his face contorted even further into an uglier expression. His broken horn resting in his hands.

"Knight," He gnashed his teeth crushing his broken horn, "it seems that I went to easy on you."

"Well, it is your fault for underestimating me." I sneered.

Falling for my taunt, Berith's veins popped out of his head. His face, red with anger and embarrassment. Holding onto his longsword he imbues more mana into it causing the purple engravings to light up.

"I'll kill you!" He screamed flying towards me at top speed. His eyes, bloodshot.

He plans to end it but since he fell for my taunt, he will start attacking recklessly but his situation was a do or die. So if any of his strikes graze me, even with my armor on, I could die. Then a notification appeared on the Hero Game System main screen.

[Holy Light: Active]

"Alright!" I shouted.

"Arhhhhh," Berith yelled as he swung his sword.

I must keep Savior out of harm!

Parrying it once more, I pushed Berith back five meters. Activating [Holy Light], a blinding light engulfed my sword and with one final giant swing, I unleashed [Holy Light] at Berith. With no time to dodge, Berith was forced to take the hit. At that moment, he knew he screwed up.

"How could I, the great Berith of the 72 Demon Generals, be defeated by a mear 'Knight'?!"

"Your flaw was that you underestimated me and that you were overconfident in your own power which led you to where you are now." 

"Ha," he chuckled, "I'm glad I could die an honorable death. You have fulfilled my wish, Knight."   

Suddenly, the light engulfed him and the surrounding wyverns. It was over. Then a notification from the system rang in my ears.

[You have defeated Berith of the 72 Demon Generals]

[All stats increase by 20]

[You gained the Skill: Fencing]

[You have Level Upped 12x]

[Armor Level increased by 2]

[You have completed the Quest: Save Savior]

[All stats increase by 3]

[You received Bracelets of  Concealment 2x]

[Because this is your first quest, you receive a Skill equivalent to the Quest Level]

[You have gained Skill: Steal and Heal (Refer to the Skills tab for more details)]

[Bonus: By killing over 300 Wyverns, you have received a Reward]

[You have leveled up 5x]

[The white wolf (Male), Hatsu, is registered in the System]

[Hatsu level up 20x]

[Hatsu learned Skill: Compression]

[Hatsu learned Skill: Bleed]

[Hatsu learned Skill: Night Vision]

[Hatsu learned Skill: Herb Finder] 

Feeling a sense of relief, I rush back to Savior's body, after all, Savior's welfare was the welfare of all. Ducking into a corner a block away from Savior, I unequipped the Silver Knight Armor and headed back as average joe healer Andrew Halycon. So much has happened in this one day but for some reason, I was not fazed by it. After this is done, I will take some time and process the events but for now, Savior was my top priority.

Pretending to look exhausted I ran back to Savior. Since Berith was defeated, the Demons have acquired a major loss. As a result, they probably won't be attacking for a while. 

I arrived at the scene within ten minutes, intentionally increasing my travel time to avoid any suspicion from the Church who would be arriving at the scene in a moment. Savior's body was still lying limply on the ground. She had her ribs broken and her long black hair, yanked like weeds from a field, leaving split ends. Her complexion was pale and she had lost a lot of blood causing her breathing to stagger. Her silver-plated armor had some dent and scratches from the Wyvern's claw while her clothes were burnt from the flames.    

Immediately, I cast [Basic Healing] on her to stop the bleeding. Now with my stats almost tripled than before, I could sustain the Healing spell for longer. After about five minutes, Savior opened her eyes, the azure glint in them was slowly returning.

Making out my face, she began to speak.

"Andrew, is that you?" She asked in bewilderment.

"Yes," I responded.

"What happened? I remembered everyone was fighting the Wyverns then... that Red Wyvern snatched me into its claws...then there was a blinding light and a figure clad in silver armor...and then- " She muttered under her breath. 

Her thoughts were a mess. 

"You were saved by the man in silver and so I ran here sensing your mana flow and found you lying on the ground. It's over, the Wyverns have been defeated. You should rest." I reassured.

"Really?" She let out a small laugh as tears began to well in her eye, "I'm quite pathetic for a Savior, a symbol of hope selected by the Church, yet I was defeated easily by this horde wyverns."

"You're not weak if anything you're but weak!"

"What?" She barely audibly said as sniffled.

"In my eyes, you're the strongest person I know!"

4