Chapter Two: Naming Ceremony
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been around three weeks since my rebirth, or at least it is if a week is still equivalent to seven days in this world.

Father brought in a scale to start weighing me every day and marking it in a notebook. I've also gathered that father is some sort of healer, as he talks about having more patients at the guild right now. I think the white robe he wears when he leaves in the morning is a healer's robe or something similar.

Whenever he did that praying action while holding me, he was actually checking the condition of my body with magic.

Even though I see him less than Mother, I can still feel his care for me. At night when I wake up, he somehow senses that I'm awake and comes to check on me, sometimes feeding or changing me.

When he gets up in the morning, he always helps me exercise before getting ready for work. It seems that paternity leave isn't really a thing in this world so he went back to work three days after my birth.

Mother talked about helping Grandpa with work, but Father said that he and Grandpa have been taking care of things just fine and that she doesn't need to force herself.

I'm not exactly sure what job Grandpa is doing, but it seems to have something to do with tenants.

Today I woke up to my parents talking about my naming ceremony happening in six days when I turn 30 days old.

I think this is what spurred my mother to finally let me out of the bedroom. She dressed me in a cute onesie and wrapped a blanket around me before tying the blanket to her chest.

I'm ashamed to admit I have gotten used to being without clothes, and I wiggled around trying to make my tail more comfortable.

After almost a month in confinement I'm about to see the outside world! The first thing outside the bedroom is… another wooden door.

Actually it's a hallway, with another room across from my parents bedroom. There are three doors on this floor other than my parents' bedroom door, but I didn't get to look inside.

Downstairs we entered a large room with a big fireplace and a bearskin rug on the wall. The bearskin seemed bigger than normal, since it covered an entire wall. I've also never seen a bear with bright red fur before. There were some comfortable looking chairs and storage chests in this room, but what took up most of the space was the dining table.

Milly was sitting at the table reading something intently, she was so focused she didn't notice mother and I came down.

"Ah!" I cried out and waved my hands at the shelves, wanting to take a closer look at the books.

My mother assumed I wanted to see Milly, so she brought me over and told Milly to say hello.

"Can I show the baby around the house?" Asked Milly as she dogeared the page of the book.

As Milly took mother's hand, I caught a glimpse of the book title.

'The Elemental Laws: Understanding the Foundations of Magic'

I double checked to make sure I was reading it right, Milly seemed to be around six years old. That book looked way too thick for a child, but it didn't seem like she was pretending to read it.

"Let's start in the kitchen!" Milly pulled mother away even though I was desperately curious about the book.

The kitchen is right next to the living room, and Milly excitedly explained everything she knew about the kitchen.

"This is the stove, Mama and Papa and Grandpa cook here! It's powered by a mana crystal!" She said while pointing at a large black stove that seemed to come out of the Victorian era. The stove was simple, but it had eight burners on each side of a fire grate, as well as two ovens. Next to the stove was a bigger version of the sink that I saw in the bathroom.

Hanging from the ceiling were bunches of dried herbs, and Milly excitedly named them one by one. The fact that Milly could remember all these names was impressive, though I don't know if she got any of them right.

Mother only stopped Milly when she opened a cabinet and began to name the ingredients one by one as well.

"That's the cellar!" Said Milly as she pointed at a large trap door.

"There's spiders in there, and one time Lin stepped on a big yellow spider here! Because it's underground, the ice doesn't melt and everything stays cold so the bugs don't eat it."

"So that the food doesn't rot." Corrected mother. "But yes the cold keeps the bugs away."

Milly tried to open the heavy cellar door, but mother stopped her.

"We can't bring the baby down there, it's too cold for her. how about you show her the garden instead."

Milly nodded and opened the door leading to a large back porch with a wooden bench swing. Beyond that lay a large vegetable garden and what looked like a large chicken coop surrounded by a wire fence. On the opposite side to the chicken coop was a square stone structure with walls but no roof.

"The garden! We have the good veggies over here and the nasty veggies over there!" Explained Milly as she pointed at two sections of the garden.

I could recognise a lot of vegetables in the garden on sight, like tomatoes, peas, garlic, wild onions, but a few were unknown. It could be that my own knowledge was lacking, as I'm pretty sure I didn't work with plants in my old life.

"I helped plan the garden with Grandpa!" Said Milly proudly as she ran down the garden path. Mother stayed behind on the porch, but held me in a way so that I could see what Milly was doing.

"This is the bath and this is where the eggets live!" Milly stood between the chicken coop and the stone structure. "Lin catches insects to feed them everyday so the eggs are delicious!"

"Mama, can I show the baby a egget?" Asked Milly while rolling up her sleeves.

Mother nodded but added the condition, "Wash your hands with soap before you come inside!"

Milly opened the gate to the coop and reached down to grab something hidden behind the tall pea plants.

"Oh!" I waved my arms up and down to encourage Milly. I've yet to see any animals in this world and I was curious as to whether this mysterious 'egget' was the same as the chicken I knew.

Milly came running back with a plump white bird in her arms. The bird was around the size of a chicken or duck, but had a big beak like a puffin, and its smooth feathers gave it a plush appearance. Milly expertly held the bird's beak shut with one hand as she carried it over.

"Egg-et, egg-et"

It took me a moment to realise that Milly was trying to teach me the name of the bird.

"Eh! Eh!" I tried to mimic the words as my daily speech practice and Milly's smile grew wider.

"Baby! You're so smart!"

"Eh!"

After that Milly showed me the study, which was the room next to my parents' bedroom, the bedroom that she and Linden shared, the big bathroom, the storage room, and the attic. In every room she would pick up some items and try to teach me the names.

Obviously I would encourage her by making sounds, which acted as my pronunciation practice. I'm not sure if children developed faster in this world, but Milly seemed to be an exceptionally smart girl.

Around lunchtime, mother was feeding me that mysterious formula in the kitchen. I could tell it wasn't quite milk, but aside from seeing her bring it up from the cellar and heating it up on the stove, the origin remained a mystery.

The kitchen door opened and Grandpa Clay came in with a muddy Linden in arms. I was wondering where my brother was as I didn't see him in the house.

"Linden, sit on the swing for a minute." Said Grandpa.

Keeping half an eye on Linden through the window, Grandpa spoke to mother with a serious expression.

"Seo may be late tonight, the culling team accidentally opened a hidden room in the dungeon and there's casualties. Seo and Denver both went out to meet them."

Mother nodded and asked, "Was the dungeon breached?"

"Marc mentioned it was mostly poison."

My ears perked up at their conversation, and my mother noticed. She stroked my head and asked "Are you worried about Papa?"

Dungeons exist! How fantasy-like!

Ah, I should be properly worried instead of thinking about magic...I'm sorry Father.

Grandpa Clay let Linden in and was trying to undress him to wash him in the big, but Linden wasn't having it.

"No! No! Magic! Magic!" Cried Linden.

"Linden, we can't always use magic to bathe, you'll make Grandpa feel tired" chided mother.

"Ma~gi~c!" Insisted Linden.

"It's ok, I'll wash him." Said Grandpa.

He made a pulling motion in the air and water gathered at his fingertips, repeating the motion several times as a sizable bubble surrounded his hand.

Holding the orb of water still, a few air bubbles moved through it and he made a swirling motion with his hand. The water bubble swirled around Linden as he giggled and shrieked with delight.

"Ah!" I cried out and reached my hand out to the water, but Grandpa was focused on washing Linden carefully and thoroughly.

The water turned grey and brown as it stripped the mud from Linden and his clothes. Once the water returned to Grandpa, Linden was only slightly damp.

Grandpa released the water into the sink and shook his head.

"You brought half the hillside, boy!"

"More!" Replied Linden.

Grandpa picked him up and took him upstairs to get changed. I could hear Linden repeating himself all the way upstairs.

"Ah!" I waved my arms at my mother, and she seemed to get my message.

"Do you like water magic? Grandpa did laundry today so you'll have to wait till tomorrow to get your turn."

"Ah!"

=================

Father didn't return until after midnight. I slept after lunch and I woke up in my mother's arms in the kitchen. There was a large clock on the wall so I could see the time.

The hours on the clock seemed to be the same as my previous life, so I could tell it was around 3 in the morning.

Mother and Grandpa were  sitting at the table with cups of deep red liquid that smelled similar to coffee. Linden slept in Grandpa's arm, while Milly rested her head against the table as she sat in her own chair.

Milly's eyes were closed, but she may have been awake, as her legs swung back and forth.

It seems I woke up just in time as the front door opened, and father came in with his robes in one hand and wearing a tunic that didn't quite fit him right.

"Papa?" Asked Milly as she lifted her head from the table, her eyes were bleary with sleep and one of her ears was folded backwards.

"Hey Milly, I'm back. Go up to bed and I'll show you something nice tomorrow." Said Father as he entered the kitchen and patted Milly on the head.

Grandpa nodded at Father as he took Linden up to bed, while Mother kissed him on the cheek.

"Can I see it now?" Asked Milly as she hugged Father.

"You won't be able to sleep if I don't show it to you right?" Said Father with a smile.

He unwrapped the robe and revealed a small black puppy.

"Baby dog?" Asked Milly. The sleepiness had left her completely.

"I found him on my way back, I was thinking he could be a guard dog for the house and hostel." Explained Father.

Milly reached out to touch the puppy but Father stopped her.

"Both of us have to take a bath. How about you go to bed and think of a name for the puppy?"

Milly nodded and obediently went up to bed, while father kissed Mother on the cheek again and exited through the kitchen door to wash himself.

Even though she didn't show it, Mother had relaxed a lot now that Father returned. I could feel the tension leave her because I was in her arms.

Mother went upstairs to the bedroom and tucked me into the cot next to the bed. I had slept all day so I didn't feel sleepy yet, and as I waited for Father to come up I realised something.

The puppy was getting a name before me!

====================

Today is the day of my naming ceremony, and so far it's been quite busy. Father got up before me to go set up the feast, and Grandpa was downstairs cooking.

From my birth till now I've sometimes smelled the scent of meat, bread and roasted vegetables coming from downstairs. Mother would eat in front of me, and for someone who lived off formula for a month, it was like torture.

Today was even worse than that, the delicious smell of meat filled the whole house while I had to endure drinking plain formula.

This morning Grandpa washed me with magic and Mother helped me wear a plain white dress. I could see myself in the mirror, and now that I had hair and fur, I looked much cuter! Fluffy silver hair, golden eyes, and chubby cheeks.

When I was born I was kinda skinny, but now I looked like a normal baby full of fat. My tail was now covered in fur so it didn't look uncomfortably thin anymore.

Speaking of which, my ears and tail are both dark brown like Mother. I've also learned to move things with my tail, but I can't lift anything with it.

I've actually never seen anyone use their tails for anything yet. I should also mention that Grandpa's tail is dark like Mother's, but it has a bend in it like it was broken once.

After being dressed, Mother brought me downstairs, where Bean the dog greeted her. The black puppy grew fast and wore a red handkerchief made by Milly.

That night Milly had bragged about the fact that she met the puppy to Linden, who cried until he was allowed to sleep in our parents' bed.

The two of them woke up with panda eyes the next day.

The puppy followed us to the kitchen where both ovens were roasting something. Grandpa was waiting with a sort of baby basket covered in white ribbons, and Linden was sitting in a chair looking unhappy in his clean tunic.

After a while Father and Milly returned, and we all left the house in a group.

Today, both men and women wore plain unembroidered tunics and white pants.

For the first time I properly left the house, and was able to see it completely for the first time. We lived in a three story stone house that was actually quite large and beautiful.

Nearby was the hostel, which looked a bit like a condo with two floors and individual doors for each unit. There were five doors on each floor, and what looked like a horse stable right next to the building.

As a group we headed through the small community, which consisted of two streets that formed a 'T' intersection. At the other end of the top of the 'T' was a church-like building where a big group of people were waiting.

Everyone wore plain white tunics, though some of them were yellow from age. I could see that there was a mix of species, from people with horns on their heads, to elves, dwarves, and what appeared to be normal humans.

They waited on either side for Mother and Father to enter while holding me, and then began to flow in behind us. Grandpa was holding Linden in his arm and Milly's hand as he joined the group.

The inside of the building had rows of seats that were a bit like pews, and an altar at the very end. Unlike the church I was familiar with, there were no immediately obvious religious symbols.

Mother placed me on the altar as she and father stood on either side. Mother leaned in and whispered to me, "Clover."

Then she and Father lifted me up and Father began to speak.

"I'm grateful for all those who have come to bless our child. Today under the witness of Talir, we give her the name 'Clover'."

One by one, the guests came up to the altar, they rinsed their hands in a basin and then dabbed a bit of water onto my head. The process took a while and the drops of water started to soak my head.

After I lost count of the guests, the simple ceremony ended and the feast began. Behind the temple tables were arranged for the guests, and Grandpa came out with many platters of food.

I sat with my family at the head table as many people came to drop off gifts. They didn't have the custom of wrapping gifts so I could directly see that it was mostly clothing, toys, and small ornaments.

Linden got bored of sitting at the head table quickly and ran through  all the guests' tables, while Milly hid underneath our table with a book.

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't go anywhere and had to endure the life of a popular baby.

Seems like my parents are very popular, as many people came to greet them.

The first person to come over was Joelle, the person who helped with my birth. It seems that Joelle is the matron of the temple of Talir, and a sort of nurse to the injured. Joelle's gift was a rabbit doll wearing a green dress. Like my parents, Joelle has furry ears and a tail, though her tail is missing the end for some reason.

A human man who seemed to be my father's colleague came over and introduced himself as Denver to me. He brought a small egg shaped rattle for me and left it in my basket.

I looked quite closely, but Denver seemed to be a normal human.

The most expensive gift of the lot came from a handsome blonde man with pointed ears. My parents addressed him as 'Captain Glynn' and he left a beautiful silver hand mirror.

Captain Glynn seemed a lot like a classic fantasy knight, with blonde hair and blue eyes. He had a thin scar on his face, but it didn't interfere with his handsomeness at all.

I felt that Captain Glynn may have been an elf, but another man came who seemed much more…elf-like?

This man was tall and androgynous, with a smooth youthful face and pale blue eyes, his pointed ears were much sharper and longer than Captain Glynn's. Father actually got up and hugged the man instead of just shaking his hand, introducing him as Master Delyth, and that he was his old teacher.

Master Delyth left a small leather bag that looked a bit like a purse. Apparently he had to leave quickly after the ceremony, but father insisted on giving him a toast before leaving.

The biggest gift I received was a toy wagon, brought by an older man who Mother and Father addressed as Guild Master. The wagon also had a plush toy inside, which was apparently the gift from the guild master's assistant who couldn't come because of sickness.

After he handed over the wagon, the Guild Master handed over a thick envelope and mentioned it was from 'that fellow' before rejoining the other guests.

It seems there is a mystery here.

Father and mother were toasted many times, and the day wore onto night with no sign of the party stopping. At some point I fell asleep and woke up in my parents room again, with Mother at my side.

Mother seemed to be tired too, as she slept on the bed wearing her tunic. As I watched her sleep, I thought about how warm and friendly everyone was today, and how everyone treated my parents with respect.

I thought about my lively siblings and my stoic but gentle grandfather, and how much my parents cared for me.

I feel really happy I was born into this world.

1