W2 (47)
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Flickering the sword in his hand, Feral snorted disapprovingly before tossing it away.

“They’re all useless master especially since am more of a long ranger than a short ranger, the throwing knives and an extra bow might be useful but the swords, gauntlets, and the rest aren’t useful at all,” Feral said while stocking up a bunch of health and stamina potion Genad had also gotten into his interdimensional space.

“Is that so? I just took a little of everything so there wasn’t time to consider what was good and not,” Genad replied leisurely while taking a few health potions as well, he didn’t need the weapons as his sword was enough and the stamina potion barely had an effect on him so he left it all for Feral.

Paws, now in the form of a cat, stood helplessly while watching them bubble around before raising his paws to lick them lazily.

“So how much was all this master?” Feral asked leisurely as he admired the armor Genad had also brought, it increased protection but wearing something heavy like that would do him more bad than good so he ditched it.

“How much? Well, it was easy sneaking into the human’s base since it was filled with mostly weaklings who might not even be better than you.”

‘Damn, that’s one sick burn Genad, why so mean… calling me a weakling, fucking bastard! But wait, does this mean….’

“Master don’t tell me you stole the weapons?!” Feral exclaimed in horror startling Paws who leaped up with a hiss.

“… I guess I did? If that’s considered stealing,” Genad muttered a bit unsure, he seemed to be genuinely contemplating if it truly was stealing.

“….”

“Is there an issue?”

Looking at the clear eyes staring right at her with a genuine lack of understanding of what he had done wrong Feral was left speechless and simply shook his head with Genad facing away in response.

‘Zero?’

“Yes, Dina?”

‘It seemed the target’s morals might be a teeny bit screwed up.’

“As a demon’s should.”

Fine, I get it. Am the only weirdo here dwelling on this.

***

“And so the only truly terrifying thing about the portal is its unpredictability and the fact that it mostly depends on luck and not strength which is why the population within it each time is always huge,” Genad spoke from the top of the tree he sat on looking down at Feral who leaned leisurely onto Paws, caressing his fur softly while listening to him.

“It’s no wonder the mortality rate is very random, the high-levelers might be the mostly dead ones this year and then the next time it’d be the low-levelers because it's not about strength but luck!” Feral reasoned.

“Exactly. In the portal only the rules matter, everything else is meaningless but know that all problems have a solution, and that applies to the portal too. Another important thing to note is the possibility of the portal canceling out some spells or item’s ability and the fact that anyone can turn at you at any time, only the rules matter so if it tells you to make your neighbor a friend or an enemy listen to it,” Genad heavily emphasized making a thought flash through Dina’s mind.

What if the portal turned her against Genad?

She would have no choice but to employ Zero’s help as she was not planning to die before the mission ended.

A few days later, the portal opened but they didn’t leave immediately, the races had already trooped in front of the portal waiting for the third day to finally enter the portal.

The portal had a legacy where all five kings must be around before its entrance could be guaranteed this was why all kings gathered on the first day to discuss how they would assemble their troops and by the third day, they would all march right in.

Now everyone was curious as to what would happen since one king was missing, would the portal let them in or not? The portal would be open for three days before finally closing and during the next two days, the races all waited anxiously with bated breath for the answer to this question.

The portal wasn’t only some opportunity for rise to power to everyone (although that was mostly what the races saw of it), it was also like a sacred tradition that brought all races together, and ever since their god had mysteriously varnished it became more so.

Now all this meant that Genad and co. under no circumstance would appear on the first two days or that’d mean disaster for them but appearing on the third day meant he could blend right in with the crowd and avoid getting caught by the kings.

On the third day of the portal, Paws acting as their informant soured out as a bird to supervise what was happening and sure enough, all the kings had been scanning the whole arena to know if they could get their aura.

Since all the kings knew all troops and beings assembled for this expenditure any new aura would have to be the fugitives. However, Paws' bloodline not only allowed him to transform into any race but also changed his aura to that race so now he was but a simple undetected bird.

On finally getting the information that the portal was showing signs of closing and all troops were preparing to move in both Genad and Feral cloaking their figures slicked right into the formation within the human’s troop which perfectly hid them with the huge numbers.

The kings instantly noticed them but were in a rush to enter the portal thus could only scan through the area to know where they were only to figure out that the duo had managed to sneak into the very edge of the portal!

But how?! Weren’t the angels the ones there?!

Only Feral who felt his mental energy depleting heavily knew what was happening, of course, their trusty VR was helping them trick the fuck out of these people. Once more, the kings were shown the true notoriety of the fugitives.

Feral couldn't help sneaking a few glances around but who wouldn't? The troops were beyond beautiful, the angels on one side floating into the portal were like brilliant lights even brighter than the sun itself and the clashing of both creatures of light was so blinding it brought tears to one’s eyes, literally, half of the elf troop beside them were silently mourning for their eyes.

The elves were astonishing as well with their flaunty weaponry and complementary spirit animals which adorned them like ornaments on their heads, neck, and shoulders. They looked as beautiful as always however the allure they held now was so great almost all eyes were on them and both the humans and demons couldn’t hide the blatant adoration or lust within their eyes.

Elves were naturally prideful creatures and thus the disgust they had at being watched as like some rare inhuman treasure was quite visible. It was a bit of a strange sight, to say the least.

The chaotic demons were the most exotic with the number of mixed races within them and almost no row had the same type of demon standing on it. They were also per their blood chaotic and were the noisiest troop around, the most annoying thing was the nonchalant attitude of their leaders who blatantly ignored the death glares from the other races.

It was quite something to see them talk loudly without restraint about how beautiful the elves were and how it’d be nice to…., or how stupid the angels were or how plain the humans (as always) were but some were quite good and just random crap. At the end of the day, every race had beef with them.

As for the humans, they, although truly plain when compared to other races were very coordinated and the most prepared-looking race with their varying equipment and had even formed groups amongst themselves. Unlike the nonchalant angels, the proud elves, and the chaotic demons they were the only ones who seemed rather serious in discussing various plans and strategies to conquer the portal.

At the very end, Dina could only sigh, it was like the portal was a show of the natures of each race and it was quite fun to see them all gather up in oneness no matter how superficial it was.

Frankly speaking, to Dina the races' harmony was refreshing in a way that she couldn’t help but compare them with the humans on Earth. She found it ironic that humans who were only one being could never actually achieve the level of harmony these races had.

‘The funny fact is that they obviously have minor conflicts going on yet could pull together just for the portal. Their regard for it must be really absurd huh?’

The portal was high above the sky thus as the troops approached it the beautiful imagery of hundreds of beings from various races floating up to the sky into a greenish-black-hole-like gap in the heavens was seen and it was truly phenomenal.

It was a mesmerizing sight that sent sparks of awe through everyone who saw it and Dina who was in a rush regretted not being able to capture such a moment! First, she couldn’t have a picture to hold onto and now even her eyes couldn’t capture it! Truly miserable!

Being a fugitive was hard, man!

***

The portal had closed and everyone had successfully entered. When the huge vortex of energy cleared away from their eyes it finally dawned on them that they had actually made it.

The gnomes weren’t even needed, it sent a strange chill down their spine at the thought that a race’s extinction affected the portal in no way… did that mean that all races could go extinct and the portal would still exist?

No one knew the portal's true origins and now they were even more curious to know since it didn’t seem to care about the race... what the hell was it for?!

Ignoring that issue for another time everyone looked around where they were, it was a gigantic hall, like a monumental room where towering dragons had once gathered to hold meetings, and somehow the hundreds of people within felt like ants standing before such massiveness.

There was nothing spectacular about it but the touch flames that surrounded the walls, illuminating their surroundings and with the silent echo effect the hall seemed to emit, it created an ancient surreal feeling that penetrated through the bones of all who stood. Like a voice resonated silently within them saying— ‘Worship. Adore. Be Awed.’

For a while, the pressure was so great that half of the population fell to their knees with stricken faces bowing to the hallucinations of strange dark creatures that plagued them.

Just when Feral could no longer take it, writings appeared and along with it, the pressure varnished. Written on the walls were words:

[Trail 1— Elimination stage.

Rules: There are no rules and there will be no alarm or help.

Let it be known that until the trial begins there will be no desecration of the holy pathway and before then I urge the four races to prepare.]

The first thing that flew through everyone’s mind was—‘They knew’.

‘They’ knew of the gnomes’ extinction but didn’t care. No one knew who ‘they’ were and ‘they’ didn’t answer any of their questions but all knew the answer: the race's extinction was of no bother to them.

They were but annoyances to be handled on crossing the portal and even without their existence the portal would always be opened… a dreadful truth to know indeed.

Just then, a huge eyeball appeared right above them garnering exclamations from all and before they could figure out what it was, it shapely opened showing a piercing black sclera and slit golden pupils-- it was the eye of a dragon.

BOOM!

Exclamations ran through the crowd as the angels who had transformed were forced back into their innate image with gorgeous wings fluttering right behind them, the demons who had hidden their ears, tails, hoofs, fangs, horns and various other features had them unveiled leaving only the aqua-demons who where spared their tails however their other features long waterfall-like hair, webbed ears, and piercing eyes had been revealed and every human who had changed even a minor feature had it stripped.

Everyone’s true looks had been revealed just as expected, however, the most shocking part of the entire revelation was the duo who had all attention affixed to them.

A petite-looking pale male with skin as smooth as flower petals, lips as red as roses, lustrous, soft-looking black locks that fell to his pretty face and most astonishing part was the beautifully shaped almond eyes holding a pair of vibrant red orbs whose fierceness could seduce one at a glance.

Feral’s now elongated ears trembled nervously in a way that could soften even an angel’s heart and he smiled a bit shyly.

Thankfully, although people couldn’t help staring at him what they actually had their eyes on was the beast on his neck.

On the slender neck stood a graceful-looking fox with a stunning pair of eyes holding a blue sclera and sharp red pupils that emitted such pressure that could make one’s hair stand and even more astonishing was the glowing seven tails which stood majestically behind his back leisurely swaggering in the air while others caringly caressed the elf.

A slight shimmer of red flashed behind the elf’s neck and on closer inspection one could see the conspicuous-looking red flower tattooed across the fox’s belly. Its presence in the dense of white made it even more glaring and with just a glance everyone was able to confirm that this truly was the GUARDIAN OF THE ELVES.

0