Reckoning
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pepin and Emelri lay curled up together under the covers, whispering sweet things to each other between the occasional kiss, basking in the intimate and quiet atmosphere inside the dimly lit tent. 

“Your jawline is so pretty,” Pepin cooed, lazily letting white strands dance over his fingers. “Everything about you is stunning.”

She brushed her lips over his. “I can barely think when I look in your eyes. You’re perfect.”

He touched her nose with his. “I’ve wanted this for so long.”

“Me too.”

“You have?” 

“Yes, but I didn’t think I deserved you or that you’d want me.”

He exhaled quickly, lacing their fingers together. “Nothing is further from the truth. You’re who I’ve loved for a long time.”

“I feel the same.” She let out a breathy laugh. “We’re finally admitting our feelings for each other, and of course it’s while we’re out in the middle of nowhere with the weight of everything that’s going on with Toulou and Carnadine...”

“I wish we could forget all of that and just be like this forever.”

“Me too.” She brushed two fingers over the copper jawline. “I wish we were back home, tucked away in your bed, waiting for morning with nothing but our jobs and Jacques’s yelling to worry about.”

He smiled into her mouth. “I’d meet you at the clinic in the afternoon and we’d walk to Andre’s together to meet up with Toulou. Then me and them would learn some magic together while you practiced with Broyeur.”

“You and Adrian would cook dinner,” she added bittersweetly, “and we’d all eat together again.”

Something wistful passed between them, and a sinking feeling filled Emelri’s stomach. 

Pepin pulled her in closer by the waist, nuzzling into her neck. “I want to go home. I want things to go back to how they were. I don’t want to worry anymore.”

“I know.”  

“I want to just enjoy this with you.”

“And we still can, Pep. Nothing is happening until the morning. We don’t have to think about anything else right now.”

“Yes.” He gripped her tightly. “I want that.”

 

❀❀❀

 

They stood on the main road with their packs on their backs, the morning sun shining on their faces. Despite the little amount of sleep they’d gotten, Pepin looked chipper than ever, his face full of energy as he gripped the leather strap over his shoulder. 

“Well, this is it.” He turned to her, exuding confidence. “It’s three jumps and then we wait for Toulou to come to us.”

She nodded, taking his hand in hers. “We’re prepared for anything that may happen. Let’s do this.”

He considered her face, then with his other hand, took her shoulder like he always did when they were about to jump. She waited for his eyes to start glowing, preparing for the horrible feeling of her skin being wiped clean off, but instead, he leaned forward and kissed her gently.

“In case something happens...” he whispered.

“It won’t.” Her hands went to his chest as she gazed up at him, then they kissed some more. 

There was a loud crack and a flash of light that caused Emelri to shriek. The couple parted in shock, looking over at the source of the disturbance.

“Jacques?” 

A furious-looking short man with bronze skin and a long, curly black ponytail dismounted a magic speeder that Emelri recognized as the one Toulou had abandoned at the Totrium. Adrian, who had been sitting behind him, got off as well, unable to catch up with Jacques as the man stormed up to the two teens, bristling like a pissed-off cat.

“I bust my ass off coming all the way out here only to see my kids making out?”

Pepin’s face flushed red, and Emelri pulled away from his embrace. 

“J-Jacques, you’re here!” she exclaimed, and her father put one hand on his hip.

“Yes, and with perfect timing, apparently.”

Despite everything, she came up and gave him a quick peck on the cheek and a tight hug. “Why are you here? You teleported?”

He hugged her back. “Don’t change the subject. I need answers. Now.”

“Jacques, give it a rest,” Adrian said calmly, coming up and claiming the next kiss and hug. “I’m glad you’re both okay. I’m surprised we found you.”

“How did you find us?” Pepin asked, hugging him next.

“We decided not to wait like we previously discussed. This whole thing is just too big to be waiting around wondering if you two are dead.”

“We talked around a bit,” Jacques chimed in, “and heard in town about two young adults crossing with a canoe: an Alchemist girl with short, white hair traveling with a young man. We could only guess it was you two. By the way, Emi, your hair looks nice.”

“Oh, thanks. Yours does too.”

His eyes narrowed. “It’s the same that it always is. Don’t think flattery will save you.”

“Wait, the portal!” Pepin exclaimed. “How will we get back?”

“It’s alright,” Jacques said, looking over at him. “I have a friend in Elden Town waiting for us. He’ll open the portal when we get back in a week.”

“Will we be done in time,” she questioned, “and can you trust this magic user?”

“We’re going to end this quickly. We’ve wasted enough time, and yes, we can trust Gabriel. He’s actually an old friend of mine. I just never realized he was also a magic user. All these years, he’s been hiding his magic signature from Spillers as well as other users.”

“You can do that?” Pepin asked, and he nodded.

“Yup. He had his reasons for keeping hidden, even from other users. You know how scary it is to be a user in a place like Venwick.”

“Yeah. I wonder how he did it though.”

“He’s pretty talented.”

Something flashed over Adrian’s face as he folded his arms grumpily. “He’s pretty good looking too.”

“Wha—” Jacques looked at him quickly. “Holy hell, Adrian. How many times do I have to tell you Gabriel and I are just friends?”

“Friends who met in a bar and were intimate with each other.”

His jaw dropped. “That was ages ago, Sweetheart! Way before I knew you!”

“Doesn’t make a difference.”

“Oh my—yes, it does.”

“Uh, guys,” Pepin interjected, “we’re sort of on a tight schedule here.”

“Great,” Jacques said, heaving a sigh. “I’d love nothing more than to stop having this conversation. What are we waiting for? Are we teleporting or—”

“We have a plan,” Emi said. “Toulou is poisoned, and we have the antidote, but we need to take a specific route so we aren’t spotted at Fort Blood.”

“They’re poisoned?” Adrian repeated. “What happened?”

“We’ll tell you later, but we need to hurry.”

“Of course. Lead the way.”

 “I need to make three jumps to get there,” Pepin said, and Jacques placed a hand on his shoulder.

“I can do it in one on the speeder,” he assured. “Everyone grab on.” They all walked over, Emelri taking Pepin’s arm while Adrian touched the speeder. “Pep, I need you to direct the path since you know better where we’re going. Can you do that?” He gave a firm nod. “Everyone holding on?” The group of four was launched into a surprisingly bearable jump.

They appeared at the edge of a forest that neighbored an enormous stone stronghold. Emelri stared at the towering walls, her heart rate increasing. Fort Blood was more than three times bigger than Fevlin, and from behind the foliage she spotted several Spillers standing guard atop round turrets.

She blinked when a thin green veil of magic spread over her vision and turned to see Jacques with pupilless eyes creating a forcefield around them. It was just like the sound barrier that surrounded their house in New Minoka.

“Well, we’re here, alright,” he said after the barrier completely engulfed the four of them then disappeared from sight. “Now we wait?”

Pepin nodded. “Now we wait.”

“Pep, between the two of us, we’ll be able to sense their presence when they approach. We should split up so we can cover a larger area.”

“I’ll go with Pep,” Emelri said, and Jacques glared at her.

“Ohhh, no you don’t. That is the last thing that’s going to happen. Pep, you’re going with Adrian, and Emi you’re staying with me.”

She folded her arms. “Fine.”

“I’m always watching you both, by the way.”

Her face fell. “Uh huh. What are you gonna do, follow us everywhere we go to make sure we aren’t kissing?”

“I might.”

“You gonna follow me to the bathroom too?”

He scoffed. “I don’t need to, because the fear of me always being around will be enough.”

“Jacques...” Adrian patted him on the back. “You’re being a lot.”

“Are you okay with this?” he hissed, and his partner rubbed his back soothingly, doing absolutely nothing to calm Jacques’s temper.

“I’ve been rooting for them for years now.”

“What?”

He shrugged. “They’re cute together.”

“You are not helping.” He exhaled a breath. “Nevermind. We need to focus. You two should head over there but be careful. Pep, are you confident to use your superspeed across that clearing?”

He nodded, taking hold of Adrian’s arm. “I know how to make the sound barrier too. I’ll let you know if I sense them from my end.” There was a flash of light, and the two men were gone.

Jacques took a seat on the ground with his back against a tree, sighing. Emelri stood, watching him for a moment as his eyes turned pupilless again. 

“What are you doing?”

The irritated glowing orbs flicked up at her. “Extending my senses so I’ll be able to pick up Toulou’s signature from further away. What exactly is the plan after we find them?”

She hesitated, then came over and sat next to him. “We... stop them and give them the antidote. They must be weak by now.”

“And then?”

“Then we take them away from here. Then we talk to them.”

“Right. I’m sure that will go well, especially since I’m here now.”

“Well, we weren’t expecting you to be here, but I’m really glad you are.” He looked over at her. “We uh, both missed you.”

 He frowned. “You mean Pep missed me.”

“No. I missed you too.”

“Really?”

She frowned, saying quickly, “Don’t make it a whole thing.”

He snorted, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “I missed you too. Both of you.” She leaned into the touch, quietly accepting his affection while trying not to show how much she truly needed it. There was a clink sound when his arm came into contact with the battle axe handle pressed against her back. “Oh. What happened to Broyeur?”

Quickly sitting up straight, her hand went to the handle. “Huh? What do you mean? What’s wrong with him?”

“Is that an energy crystal?”

She blinked then gave a sigh of relief. “Oh. Yeah. I met my birth father who’s a famous a weapons maker here. He upgraded it for me.”

“You met your father?”

She nodded. “I had no idea he lived in Barshio. He was really kind to us. It’s a shame he married someone as horrible as my mother, otherwise I could have gotten to know him longer.”

“Oh. Yeah. Do you... think you’ll want to move out here then?”

“Huh?” She considered the closed off and slightly downcast features. “Why would I do that? Don’t get me wrong, my father is a great man, but Yayma isn’t my home. Venwick is, with you guys.” A small smile spread over her face. “I know I’ve talked so much about moving out, but the truth is, I don’t want to be far away from family. I’ve realized recently how important you and Adrian are to me. So, no. I’m not moving out here, if that answers your question.”

The man was speechless. A bunch of expressions crossed his face before he patted her shoulder, and actually smiled. “Good. I’m glad.” There was a pause and he added, “So, what does the upgrade to Broyeur do?”

“Oh!” Her eyes lit up. “I can create magic, a lot like what Zuri has done with integrating energy crystals into tech for non-users.”

“You can make magic?”

“That’s right.” She smirked. “You’re a parent of three users now. How does that feel?”

“Well, that’s more than I ever thought I’d have. Does this mean you want magic lessons as wel—” Something flashed across his face, and he stood abruptly. “It’s them.” 

Her eyes widened and she stood as well. “Toulou?”

He was gone in a beam of light before returning soon after. “Pepin knows. They’re headed into the stronghold on the opposite side. Quickly!”

His hand was over her arm, and she didn’t even have a chance to breathe before they were teleporting. 

She barely registered that they were now behind a low stone wall within the stronghold that overlooked a vast courtyard filled with hundreds of Spillers all gathered around a podium before Jacques was yanking her downward, clamping a hand over her mouth. His eyes were still glowing as he stared back at her seriously, putting a finger to his lips before releasing her.

Where’s Pep and Adrian? she mouthed, and he tilted his head to the side. Following the movement, she spotted the two men behind their own little barrier, peering out at the crowd.

Jacques peeked over the wall, so she did the same, and that’s when she realized at the podium was someone who could only be the infamous Carnadine. The brown-skinned woman with flaming red hair, a cinched waist, revealing top, and a crimson mace strapped to her side was making some kind of speech.

Her voice boomed against the silent air. “...to bring Ichor Spillers together to invade Elden Town. According to Spiller intel, the portal has opened two times that we know of in the span of only five years. It is sure to open again. We must be prepared for when it does and band together as one to retrieve Teptrite from the Elderian side.”

“Jacques,” she hissed in his ear, “where’s Toulou?” 

“They’re here somewhere. My best guess is they’re invisible.”

She chewed on her thumbnail, panic setting in. This was not part of the plan. They were supposed to intercept the magic user before they ever entered the stronghold.  

“I have been to Elderian myself,” Carnadine droned on. “With what I have with me,” she held up what Emelri realized was a Teptrite device, “we will be able to hold great influence again. Teptrite turned the tide of war two hundred years ago. The Spillers here in Yayma have grown soft. You did not enjoy the victory we did on the Elderian side. You have forgotten your purpose as Spillers. It is your duty to finally be rid of magic users. Join me, and I will make us a great people once again.”

A loud cheer rang out, and Jacques said quickly under his breath, “Keep your eyes peeled for them. If I’m quick enough, I can jump all of us out of here before they know.”

She nodded, her nerves kicking into overdrive as she searched the vast open area for anything unusual, all the while, listening to a Spiller from the crowd who began to shout, “...and what of the magic user terrorizing Spillers? We are under threat in our own base.”

The crowd jeered in response and someone else chimed in, “We’ve just lost Fevlin. How many more strongholds will we lose to this enemy?”

After another cry of outrage, Carnadine lifted a hand for silence. It quieted and she slipped her hands into her pockets, an unreadable glint in her eye. “Oh, I would not worry about that.” Clever brown eyes flicked up to Emelri and Jacques’s hiding spot as she said it. “Toulou is right where I want them.”

Jacques let out a gasp, and Emelri turned in horror to see her father crumpled on the ground, clutching his middle in pain. The light in his eyes had gone out and terror pierced her chest as Spillers closed in on their location.

“Jacques—”

“H-hide...” he managed, his eyes pinched shut. “Emi. Hide.”

Eyes widening, she hesitated for a second, then her fingers went to the shell around her neck, and she twisted it. 

“Bring them to me,” Carnadine shouted. “Up here. That’s right.”

Darting out of everyone’s way, Emelri watched as her family was dragged forward and thrown in the center of this den of murderers. Adrian’s sword was taken from his hip as four different Spillers held him down in front of the red-headed leader. Pepin was as debilitated as Jacques, his limp form tossed onto the stone floor. He was still conscious but just barely, his heavy eyelids blinking as a soft groan escaped his lips. 

“Oh, Jacky...” Bending down, she clamped a red boot over his shoulder. “I never thought I’d see you again and here of all places... It’s unprecedented but I am pleased.”

“Leave him alone,” Adrian growled, and she giggled.

“What a wonderful reunion. You all will make perfect bait for my pest problem. I know how deeply that magic user cares for other users, and they will surely come. Oh, and you’ve brought another?” Emelri’s stomach plummeted as Carnadine’s red nails ran through Pepin’s black curls. “Just for me? How thoughtful.” Standing upright again, she put a hand on her hip, barking, “End them,” before turning away.

Emelri opened her mouth to object when deafening thunder made the ground tremble. The accompanied lightning was blinding. She was on the ground, completely disoriented. Picking herself up, she noticed all the still bodies around her and gawked in confusion. Through the daze and the ringing in her ear, she blinked up at a user with glowing eyes and long black dreads, standing over Pepin’s body with the Teptrite device in their hand.

“Enough,” their harsh voice rang out as they drew the sword from their left hip and pointed it at the Spiller leader who scrambled to her feet. “Your time ends here, Carnadine.” They spoke with gusto, but Emelri could see the tiredness in Toulou’s eyes; the shallow panting, and slightly shaky limbs. The poison would take their life in a matter of days, possibly hours if the antidote was not administered soon.

A mad grin spread over Carnadine’s face as she shrieked with laughter. “Oh ho! If it isn’t the infamous vigilante. You’ve caused a lot of Spiller deaths that need to be repaid, and I’m sure you know exactly when that portal is opening again.”

“I am here for one purpose.” Their chest heaved as a green, glowing goo spread from Carnadine’s boots and up her legs. She gritted her teeth, grunting slightly as she tried to dislodge herself. “To avenge our mother.”

“Our?” she repeated, her eyes darting around for a solution.

“My brother and I. After all these years, I’ve finally found you.” They stepped forward, placing the blade to her throat.

Glancing to the side, her eyes locked onto Pepin who was lifting himself from the ground. “Ah.” A smirk crawled over her face. “Yes, I remember your mother. Owned that necklace your brother wears. How could I forget such a unique piece of jewelry? After Jacky and his crew outed her as a user, I planted a Teptrite device on her. It’s a good thing I had connections in Lacot to carry out the rest for me, but what a shame I wasn’t around to watch that bitch burn.”

Toulou flinched into action, but Carnadine must have anticipated this. An arrow pierced through their hand and struck the Teptrite on the other side. They collapsed to their knees in pain, and Adrian pushed them out of the way before Carnadine could land a blow with her mace. 

The remaining Spillers that hadn’t been downed by Toulou’s previous attack lurched into motion but so did Emelri. Pulling Broyeur off her back, she twisted the energy crystal into place and thrust the weapon outward. 

Those about to reach the three downed magic users were thrown off their feet by the mass of light that discharged from the crystal. She fought her way to her family, an unstoppable force with invisibility on her side.

As Adrian held off Carnadine, keeping the picked up Teptrite out of reach while they dueled, Toulou got to their feet. Their furious eyes locked on the Spiller leader as they tore the arrow out of their hand, gritting their teeth as they did. Without hesitation, the dual blades were in their hands again and they were charging forward. 

Carnadine moved out of the way just as a wave of electricity crackled past her and killed one of her own. She ducked under Adrian’s sword and kicked him in the side before blocking Toulou’s downward thrust.

“I’m not leaving until I see your head separated from your shoulders,” they snarled, channeling magic through their weapon into her own, causing her to drop the mace.

Drawing a short sword from her waist, she grinned. “Oh my, you’re too much fun.”

There was a flash of green light, and she was blinking down at her missing arm that now lay on the ground. Toulou stared at it too then looked up to see their brother with his knives drawn, standing between them.

“P-Pep?”

“We’re finishing this together,” Pepin said, stepping towards a heavily bleeding Carnadine who slipped a hand in her pocket and cackled.

“This is too precious. If I’d known that woman had two children, you’d both be ash in the ruins of that house right now. An oversight on my part.” She stumbled slightly, and for a moment, fear passed over her features as an enraged Pepin came closer.

He gave an angry shout that distracted Emelri. His body hummed with energy as he channeled a mass of energy, about to thrust it right at her when Toulou seized his arm.

“Pep, wait!”

The blast was thrown off, harmlessly hitting a stone wall at the far end of the courtyard. 

“Toulou, what the hell are you doing?”

“More Teptrite. You almost set it off.”

From her pocket, Carnadine had drawn a small gray stone. “Goodbye!” she cried, putting it in her mouth and biting down hard.

Pepin stumbled into Toulou who fell backward. 

“E-Emi, your magic!” Jacques shouted, and she looked over to see him with a sword held above his head as he blocked the attack from a Spiller he’d been fighting, struggling against the effects of the Teptrite.

Without further instruction, she thrust her weapon out, blasting Carnadine off her feet. Sprinting over in a blind rush, she seized the dropped stone, then her eyes fell over the Teptrite device on the ground where Adrian must have dropped it at some point during the chaos. Her gaze went to the small chip in the element where Carnadine had bit it, and an idea crossed her mind. 

As long as the element existed, her family was at risk. She was so sure of what she needed to do next.

Setting the Teptrite down, she raised her axe and sent it crashing down. The effect was more than she’d hoped for, maybe more than was helpful. The Teptrite was smashed to pieces, sending a shock wave up the handle of her weapon, shattering the entire axe.

She flinched as a piece of the blade embedded in her arm and another slashed through the chain around her neck, causing the shell to tumble to the ground along with her disguise. She hardly noticed as cries of suffering rang out. If the striking of the anti-magic element left the magic users in her family debilitated, destroying the Teptrite rendered them completely useless and in complete agony.

There was a sound like steel dragging across rock, and she turned to see a seething, bloody Carnadine coming towards her with the short sword in her remaining hand.

Emelri looked down at her now visible hands then back up at the Spiller. “S-shit. Shit. Shit.” Lurching out of the way, she barely missed a lethal blow, her hand closing around the energy crystal still attached to part of Broyeur’s broken blade. As Carnadine brought the sword down on her, Emelri frantically drew a circle around herself in hopes of creating a forcefield, but the destroyed weapon no longer could wield any magic and all she could do was pinch her eyes shut in anticipation. 

The pain never came. She cracked an eye open, then gasped. 

Toulou, who was standing in front of her, toppled to the ground. She now caught sight of Jacques, one of his dual blades embedded in Carnadine’s throat. The Spiller gagged and wheezed, blood pouring out her mouth, out of her neck, and oozing in the corners of her eyes as she glared hatefully up at him. Ripping the blade out, Jacques didn’t even watch as her body collapsed to the ground, his attention very much elsewhere.

Pepin was beside her then, crouching down and rolling a groaning Toulou onto their back. “There’s no time,” he shouted hoarsely, taking the sash from his waist, and applying pressure to his sibling’s stomach. “Jacques!” 

“I’m here.” He kneeled by Toulou’s other side.

“Help me heal them. Quickly!”

0