Unease
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bright and early, the group scrambled around to get everything ready.

Adrian tied their things onto the backs of the two horses with whatever rope was left while Pepin packed up the tools he’d used to cook the eggs that he’d found in a nest on the beach.

Emelri scavenged the abandoned buildings, finding in a barn that had once held donkeys, a sealed crate full of not yet spoiled bran. Feeding it to the two horses, she quickly took over where the other two needed help and soon they were mounting.

With Adrian’s help, she was hoisted onto the back of Lumi directly behind Pepin. “Grip onto her belly with your legs, Emi,” Adrian instructed, “but keep your heels off her.”

When the horse shifted its weight under her, she clutched the back of Pepin’s shirt in a death grip. “W-woah, woah,” she breathed out nervously. “Shit, I’m going to fly off for sure. When that happens, just leave me behind, won’t you?”

She felt as well as heard Pepin’s soft laugh. “You won’t fly off.”

“Hold his waist if you need to,” Adrian said, mounting the palomino horse he’d named Dore before starting into a trot. “Let’s get going. We don’t want to lose their trail.”

“I’m going to start her forward now, Emi,” Pepin warned before squeezing the horse’s belly with the back of his heels.

Letting out a small gasp, her arms flung around his waist which she quickly found slim and toned. She tried not to think about that or the comforting Pepin smell that lingered on his hair and clothes as they charged forward. Now was not the time to lose her head, especially since the lightheaded feelings were mixed with the horrible anticipation of falling off and faceplanting any second.

“Do you know where this trader in Zmeyal is exactly, Emi?” Adrian called from atop his horse. “We can’t waste any time.”

“Yes,” she shouted back, her eyes squeezed shut. “It’s right past the town entrance. I know how to barter and trust me, it’s way different than how they do it in Elden Town.”

“We’ll leave it to you then.”

“Uh huh! It’s no problem at all.”

“Emi!” Pepin hissed, wrenching her fingers free to prevent them digging any further into his skin.

“Sorry, Pep!”

“It’s okay. You can relax.”

Resting her forehead against his back, she let out a flustered sound. “I will try.”

 

❀❀❀

 

As the sun rose, the humid air grew hot and Emelri finally let go of Pepin’s waist to put some breathing room between their sweaty torsos. In the distance, she could see the large village of Zmeyal and the green flag with the lightning bolt insignia flying for all to see.

As they neared the entrance, it occurred to her how small and rural this town was compared to New Minoka. The palm thatched, clay buildings, the simple dirt roads, and the wooden carts pulled by only one donkey were all very nostalgic. 

Basic farmlands with wooden stakes for fences could be seen in the background, and a great church made of black glass with a matching statue of the goddess Ziluria mounted on top stood at the center of everything.

“Are Alchemists quite religious?” Pepin asked, turning his head to her.

“Very.”

The Alchemist folk walked around in the familiar silk robes, loose fitting silk pants, and black glass shoes that matched their array of black jewelry. The men, women, and qivaz sported waist length hair that hung free or was tied up in a half ponytail; some having black hair while most had white. Emelri most definitely stood out with her hair all piled on top of her head, as did Pepin with his conspicuous shoulder length black curls, though Adrian, oddly, looked the least foreign of the three. 

They dismounted, and Adrian led Dore while Pepin tugged on the reins of Lumi, and Emelri led the way at the front. They all looked around, trying to catch any sign of black dreads or Venwickin style clothing. Instead of the magic user, all that met their searching eyes were the countless homeless, sleeping on the streets or cooking next to makeshift campsites. Emelri was used to seeing the displacement and poverty, but never on this scale.

“These are all people from Yundet?” Adrian leaned towards her ear to whisper. “They do not have homes?”

She nodded. “Yundet and Tomptif must have created a surge of refugees. I wish there was more we could do.”

“Me too.”

“The trader is just over there by the way.” She pointed across the road to a wooden stand where an assortment of random items was laid out. A man with long white hair and light brown skin waited behind the counter.

She approached, saying in ancient Elden, “Morning. We’ve come to barter.”

“Yes, of course, what do you have to offe—” He blinked at her for a moment, then a big smile crept over his face. “Say, is that you, Emelri?”

“Huh? You recognize me, Mr. Ot?”

He chuckled. “’Course I do. You were a regular back in the day, always bringing me the oddest things you’d come across. It’s sure been a long while. How have you been?”

“Oh. Good, though I’m here on an urgent family matter. I was hoping we could trade for coin?”

“Certainly! A family matter you say? How is your angel of a mother?” There was no sarcasm in that tone as much as Emelri wished there was.

“I-I wouldn’t know. Haven’t seen her since Yundet was taken over.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Child. Lots of broken families these days. But say, you’ve come from the south. You must have seen the big fire over Yundet. Some say all the Spillers were killed by a one-man army.” He took a moment to scoff. “Crazy, the stories people will come up with during big events like this—”

“Wait. Have you seen anyone else coming from the south?” she cut in. “A foreigner. Long black dreads. A magic user.”

He raised an eyebrow. “I haven’t seen a lick of anyone who looks like that, and as you know, this village isn’t exactly large.” Her heart sank. “If you want my opinion, I think those greedy Spillers got too cocky with their supplies and accidentally blew themselves up. Well, regardless of the ‘how,’ Ziluria has answered our prayers then, hasn’t she? Been nice not dealing with Spillers coming in and out of here, disrupting the peace. Can’t they see the damn green flying?” He pointed to the billowing flag above them. 

She hummed in agreement, distractedly taking out the sash Adrian had given her earlier that morning as per her request. She handed it over. “Very fortunate of Ziluria, yes. Say, how much will you offer for this?” 

He examined it with wide eyes. “This is a very fine weave. Where did you get such a thing?”

“Oh, you know me. Always finding odd things.”

He gave a hearty laugh. “Sounds about right. Well, I’ll give you twenty Emers for it but if you give me something of greater value to add to it, I’ll bring it up to one Saph in addition to the second item’s worth.”

Adrian raised a confused eyebrow at that but didn’t say anything.

“I thought as much,” she answered, taking the leather strap from around her waist, and removing the sword in its sheath. “What about this then?”

Looking it over, his gaze stopped on a small carved shape on the hilt. “Ziluria... this is a work of Mevlo’s.”

She frowned. “You knew my father?”

He cocked his head to the side, considering her for a moment. “Know him? He’s a famous craftsman originally from Yundet. A big name around here. You’re telling me he’s your father? From your mother’s stories, I understood he was out of the picture very early in the marriage. A worthless bum, she always said.”

“That’s… not exactly true, and yes, my father’s name is Mevlo and he’s from Yundet.”

“Truly? He have white hair and prismatic eyes?”

“Er, yeah, actually.”

He chuckled in disbelief. “Well, that must be him. Not many Alchemist blacksmiths around and certainly no two with that exact name and description. Ziluria. What a man to have as a father figure. He’s the greatest blacksmith Yayma has ever seen. A legend really. People travel far and wide to purchase his swords.”

What she was hearing still wasn’t quite registering. “My father... is still alive then?”

“That’s right. Not sure where he lives these days, but he’s very influential in the Venwi towns especially. It’s a shame he’s only half-Alchemist and he left the Alchemist settlements. Could have taken our name and done our people proud.” He shook his head slightly. “Well anyway, I’ll give you eight Saphs for this beauty, but I can bring it to ten if you have a third item of even greater value.”

“Yes, I do.” She rummaged through her pocket for the green crystal Pepin had given her. Mr. Ot gasped at the glowing item.

“Oh my! You did bring a good haul. It’s not often I get to see an energy crystal. Your blond friend a magic user then?” His eyes shifted over to Adrian admirably, but she shook her head.

“No. Pep’s the user.” Pepin’s eyes widened at the casual outing of his magic. She seemed to realize this and went to clarify that he was safe when Mr. Ot gave a small scoff.

“Not sure how I feel about a Venwi and a magic user mixing. Isn’t natural...” He frowned at Pepin, eyeing him like he was an abomination of nature.

The magic user glanced away, his cheeks flushing in embarrassment.

Emelri watched her friend, and an irritated flame arose within her. Whipping back around, she glared at the salesman with her nose turned upward. “Well, he’s an offensive user, so watch what you say. He could wipe the floor with you if you make him angry.”

His face paled. “Oh! T-terribly sorry! I-I spoke out of turn.”

Pepin looked at him in surprise, obviously having no intention of hurting him or even a fly for that matter. He put his hands up as if to say it was alright, but this only seemed to scare the man further.

“Well nevermind,” Emelri went on, putting the crystal on the counter frustratedly. “Tell me your price and we’ll be on our way.”

“Y-yes.” He nervously took it in his hand, side-eyeing the user. “For your trouble, I’ll give you five Diams for this one.”

“Five?” Excitement pricked her insides. “Well now, that is generous. It’s a deal, Mr. Ot.”

He began counting out little green, blue, and white gemstones. “You’re a bright young woman, Emelri. It’s always a pleasure doing business with you, oh and,” he lowered his voice so only she could hear, “mark my words. Venwi Folk are not to be trusted, especially a magic hybrid like your friend. Just be careful, won’t you?”

Her face fell. “Thanks, but I feel perfectly safe. Well, nice seeing you. Goodbye.” Taking the sack of money, she turned and left; the two men following behind her.  

Catching the shop keeper giving Pepin an uneasy eye, she shot him a death glare until the older man glanced away sheepishly. “Don’t listen to that racist old fuck,” she said, giving Pepin’s shoulder a pat. “Alchemists tend to distrust anyone not of a ‘pure’ bloodline, or as they see it, anyone without white hair.”

He blushed again, but perhaps this time for a different reason. “Thanks, Emi. It’s really not a big deal but thanks anyway, for standing up for me. It meant a lot.”

Realizing her hand was still lingering on his shoulder, she quickly took it back, her own cheeks feeling hot. “Oh. It was nothing, really. Anyway, we have money now at least, but there’s no sign of Toulou.”

“That anyone here knows of,” Adrian clarified, and they both looked at him. “We know they’ve been using their invisibility. It makes sense no one has seen anything. We should press ahead. You said we’d need to cross the ocean at Zmeyal, right, Emi?”

She nodded. “It seems that would be our next step. We’ll have to turn the horses loose, but that’s probably for the better, since we won’t have to worry about the horse feed anymore.”

“Will they be fine on their own?” Pepin asked.

“Of course. They’ll most likely return to their herd in Tomptif. As for crossing the ocean, there’s a boat house at the edge of town where we’ll need to rent canoes to cross to the main island. I suggest we head there quickly.”

“Then lead the way,” Adrian insisted. “Let there be no more delays.”

 

 

They reached the boathouse just as the sun rose to its height.

“No time to lose,” Adrian said, ushering them to the entrance.

Emelri went to take the door handle of the shop when Pepin gripped her arm, stopping her. 

Confused, she turned to meet a tense expression. “They’re here,” he whispered. “I feel their magic.” 

Before she could respond, a masculine voice boomed behind them, and she turned quickly to look out at the ocean where a young adult with long black dreads sat in a black glass canoe just offshore, a paddle ready in hand.

“And I can feel yours, Pep,” they said, frowning.

“Toulou.” Pepin came forward, halting at the edge of the shoreline. “You’re alive. I’m glad.” 

“Of course, I’m alive. Pep, why are you here? Have you lost your mind?”

“I’m here for you, and you’re the one who’s completely lost it. We saw what you did to all those people. How could you?”

“What?” They set the paddle down, folding their arms. “The fuck are you going on about? The less Spillers in this world, the less people like us lose parents and loved ones. I’ve done nothing wrong.”

“Toulou, you slaughtered countless. I know they’re Spillers but… this isn’t right.”

“They would have gone on to murder innocent people. Don’t be so naïve.”

He tensed. “I’m not naïve! You know this is wrong. Mother would never have supported this. You need to stop.”

Something flashed over their face as they sat upright in the canoe, and Emelri took notice of the dark bags under their eyes. “You know I can’t.”

“You can, Toulou,” Adrian cut in gently. “Come home.”

“There isn’t a home left for me to come back to,” they snapped, glancing away, “not with the lies and distrust waiting for me there. No. I must remain here and finish this.”

This isn’t good for you. You look exhausted. Have you slept at all these past two days?”

There was a pause. “It doesn’t matter.”

“It does. You haven’t been eating well either, have you?”

They clicked their tongue. “Stop fussing, Adrian. You don’t need to worry about me anymore. I can handle myself on my own. I always could.”

“I know that, but I’ll always worry. That’s my job. I want to support you.”

“Then support me by helping me end Carnadine’s tyranny. Surely, you of all people understand the importance of this situation. You yourself always talked about your concern for the people of Yayma. Now you can do something. Jacques isn’t here to hold you back anymore.”

Adrian frowned. “You can’t blame your father for everything. He’s right to be cautious, and you’ve been reckless.”

“Reckless?” They laughed. “I’m this land’s savior. I’m the force that will lead everyone out of poverty and Spiller oppression. If you can’t see that, then how can you even call yourself a former king? You can’t be so ignorant. People are suffering here and on the Elderian side. We can’t just ignore what’s happening.”

“I agree, but this isn’t the way to go about it.”

“Then what is? You expect to make peace with the Spillers?”

“No, but at least make peace with your family. You say you’re doing this for your family, but then why are you leaving us behind?”

They flinched. “Enough. I need to finish what I sought out to do, and you’re preventing me.”

“And how do you plan on returning to Elderian on your own, or did you even think that much through yet?”

“I’ll figure that out later.”

“No, you won’t. You’ll be stranded, and then you will need us.”

They gave an annoyed exhale. “My purpose was not to return. It’s to do the right thing out here.”

“And what comes after this goal of yours? What happens after you kill Carnadine?”

“Then I can be at peace knowing she’s dead.”

“Will you be at peace? Maybe you’ll accomplish your goal, but you won’t be the same person again. This isn’t a good path.”

They closed their eyes. “No one is deterring me from this and I grow tired discussing it.” Lifting the black paddle into the water, their eyes opened again, this time glowing green. “As I’ve said before: if you aren’t with me, you’re against me and at this point, you’re just getting in the way.”

“Toulou, just wait a second!” Pepin yelled, his own eyes filling with magic as he made little green steppingstones over the water and walked across the waves to approach them.

“No, Pep.”

Emelri blinked in confusion for a second as Toulou’s body shimmered strangely then disappeared completely along with the canoe. “You’re such a little kid sometimes,” the disembodied voice rang out. “I can’t have you following me anymore. It’s too dangerous.” 

A bolt of lightning split the realm, and Emelri instinctively ducked. Looking up, she saw that the boathouse was in flames. Glancing back at the water, her eyes widened as a massive wave of swirling magic engulfed Pepin and dragged him under along with all the canoes in and around the boathouse.

“Pepin!” she screamed. “Adrian, what do we do?” 

The blond was already taking off his pack then his boots before diving into the water.

Waiting agonizing seconds, she watched the torrenting waves, biting her lip. A bright glow erupted from the depths, dividing the water to make way for the two men. To her surprise, Pepin was carrying Adrian under the arm, dragging him to shore. The magic user was soaked but otherwise unharmed.

Running forward, she took Adrian from him and helped bring him onto dry land. Coughing and sputtering, the blond rolled onto his side and expelled water from his lungs.

“Are you okay, Adrian?” Pepin asked, looking him over. “Does anything hurt?” Hovering glowing hands over his father’s chest, he checked the body over, but must have found everything okay since the green light quickly faded.

“Just...had water...in my lungs,” he wheezed, sitting up and resting his arms over his knees. 

“Toulou’s gone,” Pepin said, face grave. “We need to go after them.”

“And we will. Can you recover any of the canoes?”

He gave a quick nod and left his side. 

Emelri felt helpless. “Do you think we can still catch them? Shit, the boathouse, Adrian.”

While the fire had been mostly put out by the waves, one side of the wooden building was alight. Rushing over, she tried the door, found it stuck, and kicked it in. The only person inside was a shopkeeper who was desperately throwing a tarp over the parts of the floor that were burning.

“Don’t just stand there!” the older woman yelled. “Get buckets or the whole place is going down!”

“On it!” Rushing out, Emelri sprinted to the nearest building, knocking loudly, and pointing to the rising smoke.

It took nearly half an hour to finally put out all the fires while Pepin dug out a canoe from the depths of the ocean that hadn’t been destroyed. All the wooden canoes came out as shrapnel, and it took a while to finally retrieve a black glass one.

“We’re so sorry about your shop,” Emelri said, consoling the older woman as she hefted their things into the canoe.

“Don’t worry so much about it, Dear. If it weren’t for you and your friends, the whole place would be rubble by now.”

“But it never would have happened if our rogue family member hadn’t set it on fire.”

“True. Some family member, huh? Fucker’s unstable.”

“Hey!”

She raised her hands in defense. “Just stating the truth.”

Emelri frowned but couldn’t exactly argue with her.

 

 

Leaving the shop and the island of Quixotryl, the group sat in long silence in the canoe.

“We’ve lost a lot of time,” Adrian finally said as he watched Pepin paddle. “It’ll be difficult catching up again.”

“Maybe we can befriend some more horses on this next island,” Pepin suggested, voice layered with magic as he rowed them onward at inhuman speeds, his eyes glowing and pupilless.

“I don’t know if we’ll be passing by any herds,” Emelri muttered, staring out at the distant land still half a day’s journey away. Sea spray lightly hit her face, cooling her off from the glaring heat. “I hate to suggest it again, Pep, but...”

“Teleportation,” he finished. “Yeah, I know. I’m still working on it, plus, Toulou being able to turn invisible doesn’t help things.”

“You can sense their presence though, right?”

“Only when they’re close.”

“It’s okay,” Adrian soothed. “This doesn’t all rest on your shoulders. We can find other ways. We know generally where they’re headed and Emi knows this land well, right, Emi?”

She hesitated. “Um, actually, I’ve never been to the main island.”

“You haven’t?”

“I wasn’t allowed to leave Quixotryl. My mother was too suspicious of the Venwi Folk to let me cross the ocean. There are other Alchemist towns on the main island, but I’ve never been to them. Things are a little more spread out there, but we’ll be docking at the same place as Toulou in Trivulon.”

“Is that an Alchemist town?”

“Yes. One of the biggest, or so I’ve heard.”

“We’ll find them then. Don’t worry.” His tone was reassuring but she could tell by the way he bit his lip and glanced away that he may not have believed his own words. Pepin simply nodded in reply as he continued rowing, a hollowness in his face.

Emelri’s eyes fixed on the island in the distance, and a gloom settled over them all; thick and foreboding.

0