Reflection
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You’re a father of three then? All adopted?”

Adrian nodded, eating slowly and with excellent dining etiquette despite the fact that the group of three hadn’t eaten since the shelter in Tomptif. 

“That’s very admirable of you,” Duje continued, passing a plate of rice balls and stir-fried pork to the short black man beside her with brown eyes and cornrows ending at the nape of his neck who’d been introduced as Wylev, her husband.

“And very impressive,” Wylev said after swallowing a biteful. “Adopting teenagers can be quite the challenge. They seem to be doing great, though. You must have a wonderful spouse.”

“Oh, Jacques and I aren’t—” He cut himself off, obviously unable to even say the word. “He is a great partner, yes. Unfortunately, Jacques couldn’t come with us, but we’ll reunite with him again soon enough.”

“A shame we couldn’t meet him.”

“I wanna hear about how they got here from Elderian,” a young boy around seven complained. Emelri recognized him as Lula’s younger brother, though she’d last seen him as a toddler. He had white hair, skin a shade darker than his sister’s, and clear eyes that sometimes shown as rainbow under the light; an uncommon Alchemist trait. 

“They already talked about that, Gillp,” Duje said between bites.

“Jacques is waiting on the other side,” Adrian explained, “to let us back in from the old world.”

“The old world?” Lula repeated, giving a quizzical brow. 

“Sorry, I mean Yayma. Elderians refer to this place as the old world since they don’t know any better.”

“Yayma is within the old world, so close enough.”

“Why do you not just refer to it as the old world?” Pepin asked. “I’ve never quite fully understood that.”

“The Yayma islands are not accessible to the rest of the world,” Duje explained, “unless you have magic users and the correct incantations, but I’ve never heard of one person who’s had any desire or need to leave the islands. The old world is not exactly accepting of our culture and way of life. There’s a reason Hans Fox and his people clashed so much when they infiltrated this place.”

“How did Hans Fox get into Yayma in the first place?” Adrian asked, and Emelri just knew from his expression that he was itching to write all this down and report it to his brother. He’d made it his duty to correct Nebrasia’s education of Alchemist Elderian history since giving up the throne. 

“Well, Yayma and Elderian were first inhabited by Alchemists, of course,” Duje began, “and Yayma was built after Elderian when the Totrium was created. The Yayma islands: Quixotryl, Yayma, Flijorn, and Zorvicka, were meant simply to be an outpost for the Alchemists to keep an eye on the old world without having to directly interact with it. We were never meant to meet the old worlders, but an Alchemist explorer named Gretmelio had other ideas. He traveled regularly in secret outside Yayma, and one day, he returned with a friend. That friend was Hans Fox.”

Emelri grinned as she watched her father’s jaw drop. “They were friends?”

“Yes. I’m surprised Emi has never told you any of this.”

He looked over at her. “Why haven’t you, Emi?”

She shrugged. “You never asked. I didn’t really think it was important. Kinda assumed you already knew.”

“Already knew? Emi, these are the answers to questions historians have had for two centuries. Everyone wants to know how Hans Fox discovered Elderian, and you just knew all this time?”

Duje gave a hearty laugh. “I had no idea this was all so novel.”

“It really is,” Adrian said seriously, and Pepin nodded quietly in the background. “Anyway, you were saying Hans Fox and this Alchemist were friends?”

“Gretmelio. Yes. They were very close friends, and they visited each other’s lands for some time before Hans asked for the incantations and the way into Elderian. Gretmelio thought his intentions were good, but the Alchemist was betrayed. Hans brought in an army and our thousand-year old culture was placed under threat. The magic users of the time were never taught defensive magic and often still aren’t today. You see, magic users were once all royalty; more public figures than anything. It wasn’t until the early Spillers killed enough of them that some users learned how to protect themselves and others with their powers. 

“As soon as that happened, Hans Fox began losing the fight as more users came into their power, but it all ended when the Teptrite was discovered. It is said that Teptrite was created by Alchemists long ago who envied and despised magic users for their position and glory. It was around when Teptrite was found by Hans that the Great Crossing incident occurred, and thank Ziluria, no Teptrite remained or still remains to this day in Yayma. If it had, there would be no magic users and likely no Alchemist culture left.”

“Are things better here on the main island than on Quixotryl?” Adrian asked, concern in his voice. “Seeing Zmeyal was concerning.”

“Oh, Zmeyal is a mess right now,” Wylev answered. “Ever since the takeover of Yundet and the resulting collapse of Quixotryl’s economy, there’ve been too many refugees and not enough homes or work. There are so many struggling right now to get by. We’re just grateful we were able to get this house, and Duje and I could find work. Not all fleeing Quixotryl have been so lucky.”

“Is there nothing that can be done? Why don’t more come here? Why remain in Zmeyal?”

“They’re too poor to canoe over, and those that are here do not have enough to get by without significant struggle. It’s such a mess.”

The former king looked utterly distressed by this news, obviously making a million plans a minute on how he could help these displaced people.

“Well anyway,” Duje interrupted everyone’s thoughts. “That’s enough doom and gloom. I think it’s time for bed anyway. Gillp,” she addressed the young boy, “why don’t you show Pepin and Adrian where they’ll be staying and help them bring their things to the spare room?”

“Okay!” he said, leaping from his chair. “I want to hear more about Elderian and what it’s like there! Tell me in detail how you use the bathroom.”

“Gillp!”

“What? It’s an honest question. Every culture does something different to relieve themselves.”

Adrian laughed, following the young boy into the hallway that connected to the dining room. “Well, that is true I suppose.”

Pepin excused himself as well and quietly followed after them.

“Are the trickle pots indoors or outdoors?”

“The what now?”

“No… you don’t have trickle pots? Do you go on the floor? Do you even wipe?”

“Gillp!” Duje yelled again.

The boy sighed. “Yes, Mother. I’ll be quiet now.”

Shaking her head, she turned back to Emelri. “It’s great having you here again, Emi. Hope you sleep well.” 

“Thanks Duje. I really appreciate your kindness.” Standing, Emelri gave a small customary bow and followed Lula who motioned her towards the hallway.

“My room’s just up here. You know, I really like your hair that way, Emi. It’s nice, all pinned up like that.”

“Oh, thanks. It’s a bit odd around here but lots of women wear it like this in Venwick.”

“That so? I think you might just set a new trend with this look.”

Emelri beamed at her before following her down the hallway.

“Goodnight Emi,” Adrian called as they passed the room where the two men were staying.

“Night, Adrian.” She stepped into the doorway to exchange a cheek kiss and hug with him.

“I think you’ll like this room, you two,” Lula said cheerily as she stepped through the entryway. “This used to be my older brother’s room before he went off to live with his wife in Alwoskt. Oh Emi! I think you’d like his wife. You two are so alike.”

“Feruidel got married? I don’t believe it! When did this happen? Oh, you have to tell me everything that’s been happening around here...”

The two women chattered on until Adrian was politely kicking them out and they continued their conversation in the hallway. That lasted only a few minutes before Gillp was yelling at them to talk in Lula’s room. Even with the door closed, the high-pitched voices and sudden bursts of laughter could be heard throughout the house, and twice Duje had to come and tell them to keep it down.

“So then, what have you been up to since moving to Trivulon?” Emelri whispered, lying on her side of the twin-sized bed in some nightclothes Lula had let her borrow. “You’re nearly twenty, aren’t you?”

“That’s right!” she answered softly. “I’ve been helping refugees find food and places to live and such. My mother helps them out a lot. You wouldn’t believe how many people we’ve had over at the house to stay until they could get a place of their own. You know my parents have a trading business that they’ve been hiring more people at. It’s been really successful. I’m just glad there’s at least something we can do for our people.”

“That’s wonderful, Lula. You always did love helping people. You helped me a lot when I was still living with my mother.”

“Well, your mother was actually insane. I’m glad you have such a good family now.”

She nodded. “Jacques and Adrian are great parents even if I fight with Jacques sometimes...”

“Fighting happens in all families but not like what happened with Daldi. Remember when she called you a mixed mess, saying a mixed mess gravitates to a mixed mess, and that’s why you and I became friends?”

She let out a long sigh. “Yes. She had famously terrible things to say all the time. I honestly don’t even know where half of what she believed even came from.”

“But I don’t get it. You have the white hair and brown eyes which are standard for pure-blooded Alchemists. Why would she call you a mixed mess?”

Another sigh. “Well, you know the reason she hated my father so much is because he looks like he’s pure Alchemist with his white hair and prismatic eyes, but it turned out he had a bunch of Venwi Folk blood in his line. She didn’t realize this until she met some of his relatives after they were married. She felt betrayed. Knowing I’m not a pure Alchemist just like her, drove her crazy. She had an odd fixation with me being just like her.”

“Oh, I remember. She was so particular. You weren’t allowed to do or be anything outside of what she’d done and been when she was your age.”

“Exactly! I think she always saw me as a clone of herself and didn’t realize I was a separate person. Isn’t that wild?”

“Considering it’s Daldi, not really, but by regular standards, yes, it’s wild.”

“Oh, Lula,” she exhaled again, “you’re so lucky you have a good mother.”

“I am really lucky. I won’t deny it, but hey, you lucked out and ended up with two great fathers in the end.”

She grinned. “Yeah. I did. Speaking of fathers... I heard Mevlo is still alive.” She propped her head on her hand. “Apparently he lives in one of the Venwi towns now as a blacksmith.”

“That so? Well, good for him, I guess. Whatever happened to Daldi? Do you know?”

She shrugged. “I was hoping you knew. I’m not even sure she survived the Yundet takeover but anyway, I really don’t want to talk about her.”

“Oh. Understandable.” There was a pause, then Lula adjusted her arm so she could prop herself on her pillow, finally asking, “So, the attractive blond guy is your adoptive father.”

“Adrian?” she said flatly, finding herself sighing again but this time in annoyance.

“Yes, Adrian.” She bit back a laugh. “Then what about Pepin? You said you were adopted at the same time. How did you two meet?”

“Oh, that’s kind of a long story, but we first traveled together with his sibling. We were homeless orphans that banded together when we were young teenagers.”

“So then, do you consider yourself and Pepin siblings?”

“Eh, we have the same adoptive fathers, so we sort of are in that sense, but also not at all. We live under the same roof, but... Oh Lula.” She sighed. “I have to confess something.” 

Her friend’s eyes went big. “You like him, don’t you?”

Shoulders tensing, she said quickly, “Uh. Well, maybe...”

Lula gave a little shriek. “Oh Emi! No way!”

“But I don’t want to make things uncomfortable between us, and I have no idea how he feels about me.”

“Oh, I see. Is he attracted to women?”

“I... don’t know. He’s never courted anyone that I know of but he’s extremely private, so I wouldn’t know. He mostly buries himself in his hobbies and his magic training.”

“Well, has he ever done anything that may suggest romantic feelings on his end?”

“I’m not sure. Sometimes he blushes when I’m around him.” Lula’s jaw dropped, and Emelri nudged her with her arm. “That could mean anything. Besides, he’s not exactly a man of many words. For a long time, he was completely mute, so he expresses his feelings sometimes just through gestures and facial expressions. I don’t know. Every time I start to feel confident that maybe there’s something there, I get these immense doubts. I keep hearing her voice.” She closed her eyes for a second. “It’s gotten worse since I’ve grown older for some reason, even though I haven’t seen her in five years. It’s like she’s always in my head, telling me I’m not enough. That if I try to pursue whatever this is with Pep, it will crash and burn and I’ll lose everything I have with him.”

“Oh Emi...” She reached out and took her hand. “Daldi was awful to you. You’re more than enough for Pepin. You said he’s shy... well, what if he’s just as hesitant as you are to take that first step? You could make your feelings known.”

“I don’t know. I should really be sure about this before declaring something like that.”

“You can’t know how he feels unless you ask.” She released her hand. “Don’t let your mother’s words keep you from living your life. What you want matters and if you fancy Pepin, then don’t be afraid to admit that and open yourself to the possibility that it could work out.”

“I don’t exactly have good luck.” She subconsciously touched the spot over her shoulder where her hidden flower stain was concealed.

“Hey, we met each other and became friends, didn’t we? That’s pretty good luck.”

She grinned. “Yeah. That’s true.”

“Honestly, you have time to figure all that out. Right now, I’m sure Pepin is more worried about Toulou and trying to find them than anything else.”

“Yeah.” She looked down, her gut tightening. “You’re right. That… is an entirely different issue that I can barely unpack. Toulou has always been such an important person in our family, and for them to just suddenly leave us... I don’t know if us being here is making any difference, and I can tell Pepin and Adrian are also having doubts. I want to be supportive, but everything is in pieces right now.”

“Just being here with Pepin and Adrian is enough.” She looked up at comforting brown eyes. “Of course, you shouldn’t give up on Toulou. They’re family, right?”

“Yeah. They were always there to protect Pepin and I when we were younger. I wish we could do the same for them, but everything is so complicated with their late mother and this Spiller that ruined everything. I just wish they’d come home and move forward with their life.”

“That does sound complicated.”

“Yeah. Anyway.” She sat up slightly. “I want to know more about you and your refugee work. Tell me more about that.”

“Oh.” Her face lit up. “I have the most touching story to tell you about an older woman who reunited with her son after being separated by the Yundet takeover.”

“Yes, do tell!”

As they talked the rest of the night, Emelri felt a bit lighter, though a looming dread waited beneath it all; a prickling on the back of her neck that seemed to spread down to the tattoo on her shoulder and its ugly hidden contents.

0