Chapter 22.0 – Forange
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Carts drawn by horses and mules occupied three quarters of the streets of Forange. Swords clattered in wooden crates, and untreated leather hung off their sides.

The horses shat in the street. Chained-up workers came ever so often to sweep the turds aside, but most were squished under the next horse’s sole.

“I know you’re strong,” Sophie said as she proceeded through the crowd. “But be careful of Boss. He is a monster, and a giant. He’s the reason why even though this is the second richest city of Liliana they collect a not insignificant part of its income without being linked to any nobles,” she was barely audible through the jeer’s crowds. Entertainers juggled eggs, and plays were performed on small wooden stages. Well-washed men and women stood on a stage not too far away, dressed in new tunics. They were sold to the highest bidder.

“The Silver Daggers are calm and courteous to strangers, but don’t be fooled, they are nothing but bandits. Since the beasts have increased in frequency there’s been a lot of villagers moving into the city. They aren’t used to the city so it’s easier to catch them in traps. The flood of slaves has crashed the price, so much even ordinary citizens have the cash to get one. The price has jumped back up thanks to the craze, but the price is still lower than what it used to be and it will continue to be so until the civil war in Rosalia ends.”

Was she not afraid of ending in the same spot? I suppose adventurers are worth too much to be sold off and it’s not like a baker would need an adventurer slave.

Through the bustle, I followed Sophie to a slightly less busy street. On both sides stalls sold bread and seeds, but Sophie ignored all these and headed for a small bar. “Welcome back,” said a man. His hand was on a faucet out of which beer flowed. She didn’t pay him any mind; we soon reached a door in the back of the room. Inside, there was nothing, but a shaft fitted with a wooden ladder.

“Up, then down,” she said. And so, we went up the ladder. We then crawled in a pitch-black tunnel, only guided by a rope. Eventually, Sophie stopped and knocked on the wooden planks which made the floorboard. The knocks were heavy and created thudding sounds, but her last knock echoed the sound of hollow space. She pushed it down and she disappeared. When I entered the hole, I found myself in another shaft and made my way down another ladder. But it wasn’t over, we still had to walk through another corridor. Thankfully, when we found its end, we weren’t greeted by another shaft, but a thick birch door.

Sophie pushed it open.

Men and women sat around round tables with pints of beer and cups of wine. Their words filled the humid room with bustle, and their casual demeanour filled it with warmth. However, Sophie’s knees shook, and her face went white.

“You’ve been rather quick and rather… alive recently,” called out a woman in the corner of the room. She had black hair and brown eyes. “I suppose this cursed kid isn’t here to sightsee.” Her fellow drinkers scooted into their tables, letting her pass. “But I’ll have to ask him to leave before whatever curse he used to kill a troll affects us as well.” She smiled and pointed to the door with both hands.

Sophie’s knees stopped shaking. “Not everything revolves around you.” She tapped my back. “If his curse could kill trolls, I’d be done for as well. No, he’s part of my group and we killed the troll, but he doesn’t have anything to pay back so he wants his pay.”

The lady tilted her head, exposing a golden earring hidden under her black hair. “I suppose he needs new clothes, maybe his dead eyes would even be slightly charming.” Her eyes shifted to Sophie. “But like you said, he’s part of your group. No one in your group will get paid.”

“Where is Boss?” I asked. I couldn’t wait longer, my skin itched, my clothes stank, and the grease on my face drove me mad.

“Boss? He’s nowhere you can see him.”

If I had to force my way—

“Julia!” The lady turned, frightened, and stared at the bar. There, a grey-haired man wiped down a clean glass. “If they killed a troll, they killed a troll. Let them pass.”

Julia nodded and led us through the mess of tables. The bandits remained quiet and didn’t give us any strange looks. These people were better behaved than those in the castle. The atmosphere was better as well.

“Through this door, you’ll find his office,” said Julia.

“You aren’t coming?” I asked.

Julia shook her head. “If Boss can’t defend himself, no one can.”

And when I passed through the door, I understood what she meant. The man in front of me stood at twice my height, his thighs were as large as my torso, and his hands could crush my head. His shoulders bulged out his shirt, and his eyes, so high up, made it hard to look into them.

He wasn’t human, but a High-Human.

 

0