Chapter 22
30 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Christmas Eve, heh?”

With the end of the year fast approaching, and with my exams behind me, I found myself once again thinking about the future, a different kind of future, though. One of the perks of being a film major was that our midterm and final exams often had take-home tests instead of the usual offline ones. Since the exams were available one week before the exams themselves, we could do most of them before the exam even started. 

I had finished all of them in my first week, thus I had the second week entirely empty. I decided to hang around in my apartment for a while before returning home for Christmas, since we had already paid for the lease anyway. 

The same couldn’t be said for Emily, who would soon face her own final exams. It would be no more than a week away. As the sun sets in the western sky, Emily finishes her studying for the day. She stood up and stretched her hands. 

“My family would have a gathering in the morning, I think I would be free by five.”

“So you want to spend the evening together?”

She looked shy as she nodded. 

“Well, my family didn’t have any plans for that day. We do have plans for the twentieth fifth.”

“And we’re going to Switzerland on the twentieth seven.”

“Well, it’s settled, then.”

Emily then headed off somewhere. I assumed the kitchen, based on how she tried to reach something high. Maybe she wanted to cook dinner? I had an online delivery coupon, so I decided to order out that day. It was just a simple fried chicken, nothing much. Emily got what she wanted to take and lowered it to a table, putting some other ingredients beside it. She then ducked down and opened a door, taking something out from within. 

“Where do you want to go?”

I decided to ask from now so I can plan ahead. It would be a special evening, after all, so I didn’t want to waste it.

“I have no place in particular… Christmas shopping?”

Emily put her right index finger on her lips as she thought of possible destinations. 

“Grand Jakarta, Selara City, Coconut Ivory?”

She started listing the names of some major shopping malls scattered throughout the city. I had expected that kind of answer, and was willing to take her there, but… 

“You don’t like the idea?”

Emily asked after seeing my mixed expression. I guess she noticed.

“Not that, was expecting something different, that’s all.”

“Explain different.”

“You haven’t been back in a while, and you’re interested in shopping malls?”

“Well, in my defense, being raised in the city meant that you got used to the attractions in said city.”

“You’re right…”

I wasn’t able to deny it. She then approached me and put her finger under my chin, lifting my face up.

“Or, are you interested in something more… romantic?”

She said with a teasing smile. 

“What if I say yes?”

“Let’s go ice skating, then.”

How is that romantic?

I let out a wry smile and shrugged. Maybe thinking about it now wasn’t a good idea after all. I decided to store the thought in my mind for now and focus on something else… although I ended up not thinking about anything but Emily again. It had been happening a lot more frequently lately, where my mind would just randomly wander off her way.

She let go of me and returned to her cooking.

“What are you making?”

I asked. 

“Black pepper chicken.”

“Something more complicated today, huh?”

“Not really, but I do have some more time today, so I thought why not?”

She said as she started sorting the stuff. I wouldn’t be able to see what she was doing anyway, so I thought I shouldn’t watch her… or so I thought, but I found myself being interested in what she did anyway. She noticed me watching her.

“You’re interested?”

I nodded. She picked up her phone and started fiddling through it. A notification then appeared on my Fine. I clicked on the link she sent and found a live video set on MyTube. It was set so that only those with the link could watch it. She placed the phone on the side of her counter, above some boxes, facing toward the line of cooking utensils lined up tidily on the kitchen counter.

I watched as she prepared the chicken for cooking. She then put the chicken into her iron skillet, stir fry the vegetables, all the way until it was finished. It took quite a while. We talked about various things as we waited. My meal arrived ahead of time, but I thought that it would be nice for us to eat together, so I set it aside and waited for Emily to finish cooking. In less than half an hour, her black pepper chicken was finally finished. 

“It looks delicious.”

I commented while looking at my phone. Emily had ended the live video and sent me a detailed look at the lavish-looking dish that she had just made. 

“Reminds me of that instant noodles from a while ago. How long has it been since then, I wonder…”

“Oh, can you kindly tell me just which part of my chicken reminded you of that dish?”

Emily said sarcastically. 

“Ah, I didn’t mean that way. Still… time sure passes, eh?”

“Yeah, and now we’re used to living like this.”

With a faint smile, Emily took her spoon and fork and started scooping up her food. I did the same. It looked funny from my position because I could see her movements, but not the physical items she used to carry the invisible food into her mouth. I wonder if she was trying to hold her laugh as well, but we did have several occasions when we ate together. Maybe she was used to it at this point? 

I wonder how long it would take before we finally, if ever, part ways. The clock let out a faint ticking noise, reminding me that my time wasn’t infinite. Things may turn back to usual one day, or it may never happen. Maybe I would be stuck with Emily for the rest of my life, until death itself does us part. But, even then, my time wasn’t infinite. It made me value the moment. 

I looked up at Emily, who was busy enjoying her meal. Seeing her like that, I couldn’t help but let out a smile. Emily seemed bothered by it and put her silverware down. 

“What is it?”

I wanted to say that it was nothing, but I knew that it was indeed something. I wanted to spend more time with her, doing small things like these. Not hearing my answer, Emily’s eyes narrowed. 

“You’re thinking about something funny, aren’t you?”

“No, it’s nothing like that.”

I decided that being honest was the best thing to do. If I truly value my time with her, then I wouldn’t want anything to get between us, not even tiny misunderstandings. 

“I just… realize how much I enjoy spending time with you.”

My words left Emily speechless. She didn’t reply and continued eating. After a few minutes, we finished our meal. I didn't need to wash anything, since I ate using the cardboard box the delivery provided, meanwhile Emily needed to wash everything she used to cook her chicken. I sat on my bed, fiddling with my phone as she washed her dishes.

Having finished my exams, I didn't have anything else to do, so I decided to browse the internet, looking at reviews for a camera I'm after. I only have a cheap compact digital camera that I used. It wouldn't be sufficient for the following years, so I was looking for an upgrade. 

"What are you doing?" 

Emily asked after finishing her tasks. She approached me, looking interested. 

"Looking at reviews. Planning on getting a new camera." 

I had been taking some small-scale jobs here and there that consisted mostly of simple editing jobs and some design tasks. That along with my allowance allowed me to build up quite the amount. 

"Which one?" 

"Pony A6500."

Emily then pulled out her phone and started typing. 

"Fifteen million? That's expensive." 

"I guess? Couldn't do anything about it, though." 

I shrugged. 

"If you get your hands on this… would we be separated?" 

"If that's the case, we would have been separated a long while ago." 

I doubt this entire phenomenon can be solved by buying an item. I had eaten cake and other things I wanted numerous times since we were first stuck together, so I doubt getting something would suddenly solve everything. Besides, that meant only my wish coming true. What about Emily's? 

“You still want that cake?”

“I’ve already eaten that cake. Surprised you remember.”

“Of course.”

Emily then put the plates in something, and dried her hand. 

“Do you have anything to do for the night?”

“Nothing planned. Was planning to watch something. Why?”

“You’ve been watching a lot of things lately.”

Emily said as she sat down next to me. 

“Well, it’s my job, after all.”

My professors had told us numerous times that we should watch a lot of films. Not just the ones that were shown in cinemas, but a lot of short films, especially those that came from film festivals. Based on what my seniors told me, the films we made would be expected to follow the short film format, mainly because we didn’t have the budget to produce costlier feature-length films. 

“Film is art, and since art is a form of self-expression, I think it's best if you could enjoy what you’re making.”

“Huh… Does programming count as art?”

“Well…”

I decided to check the internet before answering that one. 

“Depending on the definition of art, I guess. A site said that art could be defined as something created by human imagination and skill, and a code could be considered a result of one.”

Under that definition, a lot of things could be considered art. 

“In my opinion, if you enjoy something, and that thing you make counts as your self-expression, then it counts as art.”

“Doesn’t that put the bar a bit low?”

“Well, considering what they’re doing with fruits and duct tape, I don’t think so. Besides, since it’s a type of self-expression, does what others say count?”

“I guess not.”

Well, I didn’t know what was right and wrong in this case, but that was my personal opinion of it. While yes, for some it may mean setting the bar low, very low even, but I think if it was made just to please others, then it couldn’t be considered art. Much like how everyone had their own style of painting and drawings. Mine and Emily’s differs, despite the help she gave me in perfecting my own. I had no reason to copy Emily’s, nor anyone else needed to copy me. 

I didn’t have a reason to conform my style to fit someone else's preference, unless it was for a task, nor did other people need to accept my style. I think that is art. 

“Why are you asking in the first place?”

“Originally I planned on studying a bit more for the night…”

She trailed off and looked at the wall, my wall at least. 

“And?”

“It’s Saturday, I have exams on Monday, but I can wake up a bit late tomorrow and study for the rest of the day so…”

She turned her head toward me. 

“I’m bored.”

“Well, that is certainly a jump.”

Since I had completed all of my final exams, my film could wait. I would have hours of free time during vacation anyway. 

“What do you want to do?”

I asked. Even after being stuck with her for so long, I still didn’t have a grasp of her hobbies, not counting anything even remotely related to studying though. I wouldn’t call learning history an enjoyable task. It would be fine if she liked it and wanted to do it, but since she looked to me for a solution, I assumed she didn’t want to relax with an activity that literally feeds even more information into her brain. 

I thought of some possible options. 

“Want to play something?”

I followed up on my previous question.   

“Play what?”

“A game, maybe?”

I used to play a lot of games before I was stuck with her. Based on my own self-evaluation, I could be considered a fast learner when it came to games, so I had confidence in my ability to learn whatever game she threw at me. I would probably still lose, though. 

Well, as long as it’s not chess.

“How does checkers sound?”

“I thought you were going for something with… you know, less thinking?”

“Chess?”

“And we’re back to square one.”

Seeing my reaction, she let out a pout.

“You’re just afraid of losing, aren’t you?”

“Yep, exactly.”

My honest reaction seemed to deal quite the blow to her. 

“Still, I want to relax a bit but I don’t know what to do… might as well as continue studying at this point.”

I really didn’t understand why chess and checkers were in the forefront of her mind for things that count as relaxing. Even if everyone had different ways to relax, I just couldn’t see those games as a viable option, especially not after a study session. 

But at the same time, I didn’t really have any idea on what to play. 

“You play shooters?”

“I tried it before. Uninstalled all of them, though.”

“Don’t like it?”

“Got no time, to be exact. They take way too much time to get good at.”

“I see.”

I myself had started losing my grip after these few months. Since I couldn’t keep up with my daily training, my skills started slipping away. I wasn’t interested in professional playing, though, so I didn’t consider their loss to be a big deal. Emily is far more important to me. 

Although, if possible, I would definitely choose the option where I could keep my skills without any training. Sadly, that option didn’t exist. 

“Oh, that reminds me, you know about this new game called Firako?”

I opened my phone and sent Emily the link for the game. 

“I like the cute art style.”

“Yeah, it’s an MMORPG, but more on the casual side.”

It featured cute graphics, soft colors, and easy gameplay. Compared to other MMORPGs or RPGs, games that were known to have complex mechanics, deep lore, or maybe heavy grinding, Firako offered the opposite of that. It was designed as a game everyone can play. I wasn’t really interested, because I don’t typically play those kinds of games, but I wouldn’t mind if Emily played with me. MMORPGs were often more fun with friends anyway. 

We both downloaded the game, and started our evening gaming session. 

 

We ended up playing for two entire hours. It was already nine in the evening by the time we finished… Well, Emily finished. She decided to log out ahead of me because she wanted to continue studying. Despite originally not being interested in the game, I ended up getting hooked, so I decided to do a bit more grinding as I waited for the minutes to pass. 

After another hour, I found myself sleepy, so I logged out. I brushed my teeth and prepared for bed. 

“I’ll turn in early.”

“Alright, good night.”

Looking at her studying brought up a weird feeling in my heart, making me want to encourage her to the end. I couldn’t do that, of course, I would only end up being a bother, so I approached her and lightly patted her head. 

“Do your best.”

“Thank you.”

She let out a cute little noise and flashed me a smile. I turned around and headed for my bed. I turned off the lights and tucked myself in. 

2