Chapter 26
51 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We arrived at the base of what looked to be a tall office building. We were instructed to park in the basement. We exited the vehicle after entering. We needed to go up and head for the ground floor before heading for the receptionist.

“Let’s see…”

Emily scrolled through her phone. I leaned a bit and took a peek. She seemed to be scrolling down a line of text, searching for something.

“You never visited the place?”

Emily shook her head. 

“First time as well. Excuse me, do you know about Skyhigh Resto?”

Emily mentioned the name to the receptionist. The receptionist smiled and explained how we could get there. The elevator of this building had a unique design. Instead of the usual where you would push up or down and then select the floor number you wanted to go to inside the elevator, this one had a keypad where you could input the floor you wanted to go to. Below the keypad was a keycard reader, required if you wanted to use the elevator. 

We needed to get to floor twenty-five, thus we traded our citizen IDs with a keycard and went toward the elevators. We scanned the card, which opened the turnstiles that separated the elevators and the lobby. 

“Make sure to not lose that.”

Emily said as she stored hers in her bag. As I placed the keycard on my pants, Emily typed in the number 23. Above the keypad, there was a small screen that showed the number we input. The number then disappeared and was replaced by the letter ‘D’. We headed to the elevator that was marked D and waited in front of it. It went down from floor seventeen. When it opened, a group of people made their way out. We stepped to the side, allowing them to pass through, before entering the elevator ourselves.

Inside the elevator, there was nothing but an emergency call button and the buttons for opening and closing the door. The screen above it showed the floor we were at. We went up to floor eleven and dropped two passengers off. With us being the remaining two people in it, the elevator sped up, climbing straight for its destination. Within a few seconds, we heard a ting, the screen showing that we had arrived at our floor. The two metal doors opened, revealing the world outside. 

We stepped off and followed a small marking pointing toward the bar. We followed the narrow hallway and reached the glass doors that marked the end of the interior of this building. I pushed the glass door open, feeling its weight on my hand, careful to not damage it. As I crossed the border, marked by the switch of floor’s colors that went from a light creme color to an elegant black color, a gust of cold, fresh air embraced me, carrying with it the vibrant scents of the bustling city and the rich scent of the restaurant’s cooking. It felt different from the controlled air inside the office. It felt like freedom, in a way.

A sleek black roof covered our heads, with ornaments made of metal colored in silver hung above. They act as houses for the lights that shone light into the area. A line of light poles stood, acting as fences that divided the bar on the right with a seating area on the left. The poles had been colored in full black, blending into the restaurant area. It had been carved with great precision, looking similar to the much larger pillars seen in Greek architecture. 

On top of them were tiny light bulbs emitting a faint, yellowish glow. The bar table on our right had a dark gray colored bottom, with a black tabletop made out of marble. Several things like coffee machines, sinks, and drinks hid behind the bar, with a skillful bartender dressed in a tuxedo skillfully operating them. He then started mixing a drink for a customer who sat on one of the bar stools surrounding the bar. Behind them was a huge shelf showcasing various drinks, all lined up neatly, standing side by side as if competing to get the customer’s attention. I took a few seconds to register this sight into my mind.

We then made our way toward the seating area beyond the bar. Beyond the bar was a white wall covered by various greenery. A waiter went out from a door hidden in between the plants, bringing a tray loaded with delicious-looking food on it. We were careful to not block his way. He noticed us and gave us a greeting before going on his way. Beyond it was the open seating area. Two lines of cable hung from the end of the roof all the way to the center of the glass railing that surrounded the perimeter. Little light bulbs were hung on it, giving a calming atmosphere to the area. 

The light bulbs shook slightly, pushed around by the soft push of the night wind. Before the glass railings were plants planted in long rectangular pots, and before them were tables with two to six seats each. We chose a table and sat down, setting ourselves down on the sturdy wooden chairs. On the side of the intricately carved wooden tabletops was a simple vertical flip menu that housed several of the restaurant’s favorite foods. It also offered a QR code that could be scanned to check the full catalog of offerings. 

Emily took her phone and scanned the menu. 

“What do you want?”

She asked as she scrolled through the menu. 

“Oh… actually, you should scan that yourself then tell me, there’s a lot more than I had expected.”

“I guess you really never went here.”

“Why would you think I’m lying?”

“Nah, I trust you.”

“Really?”

Emily giggled as she said that. With how we were stuck with each other, lying, no matter how small it was, became useless. It would only damage our relationship due to how easily we could notice each other’s lies. Even if we weren’t stuck, as long as it was Emily, I would trust her with anything, even with my life. 

I did as told and checked the menu myself. The restaurant offered various meals originating from various corners of the world. Local Indonesian and Italian dishes formed the backbone of its menu, though, with various other dishes filling its already varied roster. They were on the steep side, but not too expensive. The website had pictures of the food, and all of them looked good. It took me a while before I finally settled on my choice.

I went for roasted duck. Emily, meanwhile, decided to take a roasted lamb. Emily submitted the order and paid through the website before leaning back on her chair. We enjoyed the night breeze that blew past the outdoor section. Three large, fluffy groups of clouds occupied the night sky. It didn’t look like it would be raining anytime soon, but it did block the night view. The moon attempted to peak behind it, only to be wholly covered when the winds pushed the clouds around. 

I heard a faint crackling sound coming from a corner of the rooftop. I looked toward it, noticing the light gray speaker tucked far in the corner, hidden behind the pots of plants. An enchanting melody played by a classical piano then filled the sky. Its calming sound mingled along with the voices of chatter coming from the tables surrounding us, mixing together forming one calming song. 

“What do you think?”

Emily asked me while leaning back on her chair, her hands resting on the table. She looked up to the sky. As the winds continued to blow, the clouds moved ever so slightly, revealing a silvery glow from the large circle in the night sky. Hiding in between the darkness above the horizon were the twinkles of two yellow dots. 

The office building beside us sets into the night. Most of its lights went off, leaving a faint whitish glow peeking through its windows. They were so faint that seeing anything else was impossible. The atmosphere became quiet as the lively city came to rest. A waitress came walking toward us, a tray in her hand. She set down the drinks we ordered. Emily decided to go with warm peppermint tea, while I ordered warm jasmine tea. She also put down the fork, spoon, and knife we would be using, and with that all, she also set down a single candle, putting it at the center of the table. As she made her way back toward the kitchen. I then took a sip from my tea. 

Emily, meanwhile, watched the single flame that was housed in a clear glass candleholder. The flame danced without the slightest hint of worry, looking like it was free to do whatever it wanted. If swayed side to side, lighting the table up with its warm glow as it floated above the pool of water. 

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”

Emily asked. It was only a single flame, around the size of my thumb, yet the sight of it was enough to give me a soothing feeling. It flickered and danced like tomorrow didn’t exist, drowned entirely at this moment. I didn’t even know why I suddenly put so much attention to the candle, either. I nodded in agreement, though. There was something alluring about the carefree nature of this single flame. As we spent our time watching this candle, the waitress returned with our food.    

“Let’s eat, I’m starving.”

Emily said after seeing the meal in front of her. We enjoyed the food while being accompanied by the soothing song playing on the loudspeakers. After a few minutes, we were finished. A waiter came and picked the plates up, leaving us with our drinks. As I took a sip from my warm tea, now slightly colder compared to when it was first served, I noticed Emily playing with the spoon in her tea. She looked restless for some reason. She looked delighted when she ate, so I doubt it got something to do with the food.

“Are you alright?”

I asked. Hearing my voice, Emily brought her eyes from the surface of her tea onto me, staring straight into my eyes. I gulped when I received her sights. She continued staring, her mouth moving ever so slightly. Faint sounds came out of her mouth, words that didn’t seem to mean anything. 

“Emily?”

She averted her gaze, looking at the cityscape that surrounded us. 

“I… don’t know how to say this… but…”

She looked back toward me, her eyes darting around the place before finally landing back on me. She tensed up, making me wonder what her next words were. 

“Before that… Can I ask you something?”

She asked, bringing her sights down and away from me. She fidgeted, looking uncomfortable. 

“Sure, but are you sure you’re alright?”

I was ready to take her home anytime. None of this matters if she wasn’t feeling alright. She nodded to my words, however.

“It’s not that, really.”

She tried to reassure me, which had the opposite effect and made me even more worried instead. 

“Then what is that?”

“Umm… Do you think we’ll be friends no matter what happens, or do you think there’s something… I mean, if this thing happens, then you will no longer be friends with me?”

I was about to say something along the lines of ‘No, no matter what happens, I will always continue being friends with you.’ only to then realize that it wasn’t the truth. I had failed that before. Emily went to a boarding high school away from home, separating from me. I remember just how fast our relationship disintegrated. Even back then, I made a promise to keep being friends with her, but I couldn’t fulfill it. I have no right to promise anything now.

“I’m really sorry.”

“Uh, huh?”

“I had been wanting to apologize… but… sorry. I broke my promise.”

She blinked twice. 

“... That?”

“Yeah. Back then I promised you to stay as friends, but…”

Emily brought her hands in an attempt to cover her face. She let out a snicker, escaping through the gaps between her fingers, and that snicker quickly escalated into loud laughter. She pushed her hands into her face, trying to hold her voice as much as possible. I could only sit there, bewildered by her sudden burst, not understanding anything. I didn’t say anything and decided to let her continue laughing. Eventually, her laughter died down. Accompanied by slight wheezing, she tried to regain her composure and forced herself to talk.  

“It’s not your fault, though. Not like I texted you or anything.”

“You waited for my messages?”

Emily nodded. 

“I thought you would be the one to message me first, then I got busy, then well… all that happened, or rather, did not happen.”

Looking from an outsider's perspective, it was such a simple issue. We drifted apart because neither of us became the first to message each other. I’m glad she took it well, though. A sense of relief washed over me. I leaned back on my chair, glad that things were resolved. 

“So, would you renew our promise? No matter how bad things get, at the very least, we’ll stay friends.”

“Sure.”

We made a pinkie promise above the table. A cheerful smile returned to Emily’s face. 

“Now… about the thing I wanted to say.”

She once again stared into my eyes, her eyes filled with resolve. She then glanced at her tea. She grabbed the glass and drank it all. She returned the glass down to the table and stared at me once more.

“I like you. Will you go out with me?”

I feel the air froze momentarily. I wasn’t expecting a confession at all. The answer to her confession was obvious. I liked her… no, I loved her. I was sure of it. But as I tried to force the words out, it felt like my mouth was refusing to move. Seeing my reaction, Emily panicked. 

“Ah, you don’t have to answer now. No, you don’t have to answer- Ah!”

She flails her arms in front of me. I didn’t want to repeat my mistakes, however, so I steeled myself forward. I know the answer, and I fully intend on giving it.  

“Sure. I love you.”

Her eyes lit up the second she heard my words.  

“I love you too.”

We whispered to each other, careful to not bother the people near us. We both checked our surroundings, realizing what just happened. To our relief, no one seemed to hear what was going on. With that out of the way, we brought our attention back to each other. As I thought about saying something to Emily, Emily’s eyes turned toward something, and stared at it. I noticed her gaze and turned my sights. 

As if marking the space between the roof and the outdoor space, it stood there solemnly. 

The Torii gate. 

It stood in an empty space, exactly below the edge of the roof. I drank the remainder of my drink. We checked our table, making sure nothing was left behind. We then stood up, taking steps together toward it. People passed through under the gate, seemingly unaffected nor noticing its existence. 

I moved my right hand. It hit Emily’s left. Emily noticed it and held onto it, tightly gripping my hand. I took a breather as we carefully made our steps toward the looming gate before us. As we passed under it, a weird sensation engulfed us. It was the very same sensation that I felt all those months ago. Both of us nearly tripped, and had we been unprepared, it was guaranteed that we both would have fallen. We managed to stand our ground, despite taking a lot of effort. Nothing seemed to change, however. When we looked back, the Torii gate had already disappeared. 

Emily then ran toward the office, going past the glass door. She ran past the elevator and entered the toilet, disappearing behind the walls. 

Unlike before, her shadow didn’t return beside me. 

 

“It felt… unreal.”

Emily muttered as she opened the door. I lowered the car’s window. She leaned on the windowsill, looking inside. 

“Yeah… to think things will finally return to normal.”

“I’m not sure that normal is our normal, anymore.”

I chuckled at her words. When compared to Emily’s parents, our four months weren’t as long, but it still felt like a major change. I would need to start getting used to not seeing Emily beside me anymore. I steeled my resolve. This time, I wouldn’t break my promise. I would do all I can to keep a good relationship with her. Emily checked her phone. 

“Anyway, it’s getting late. See you next year?”

“No.”

Emily looked surprised.

“I’ll call you later.”

“I’ll be waiting.”

Emily waved as she jogged toward her home. She disappeared behind her fence. I looked around me, and she was no longer there. The car felt empty. I wonder how long it would take before I could return to normal myself. What is normal at this point?

Today’s events closed a chapter in my life. I would treasure the four months we shared together, but it wouldn’t stop there. Now, as her partner, I would continue making new memories with her. I took one last look at her house before putting my feet on the gas, heading for home. 

2