Chapter 2: Born to Die
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   After hearing the mysterious voice, I woke up in a dark space surrounded by fog. I checked my body for any missing limb or damages but it turns out, it’s gone. Not only that, even my body itself is not present.

 

   “Anyone around? Anyone???”, I shouted at the top of my lungs yet no one answered.

 

   Suddenly, a surge of memories came to my mind. It feels like a song of despair playing in my ears. I heard every scream and cry of multiple people who were about to die. I saw blood and guts spilling everywhere as if a giant monster murdered everything in its path.

 

   “Mama!!! Mamaaaa!!!”, a voice of a child cries after seeing her mother torn into pieces.

   “I need to run….wait, where’s my feet? WHERE ARE MY FEET?!?”, a man noticed his bottom half missing and screamed to his death.

 

   The nightmare continued as the pain inside my head have gotten worse. Immediately, I saw a building that feels familiar. It turns out that the whole structure resembles the Valendrake Mansion. Everything is dark telling me that the memory happened at night. Suddenly, a window showing my parents popped out.

 

   “Wait…it can’t be. Mother and father?”

   “No…please stop it! I don’t wanna see it again…STOP IT!!!”

 

   The memories of the massacre came back to my head. Now I remember everything. I just realized that I’m supposed to be dead and yet here I am alive without my body. After seeing those events, my mind went insane. I wished to die, again and again.

 

   As I continued cursing myself, all of a sudden, everything went black. The pain is gone and the endless flashbacks finally ended. I’m slowly losing consciousness. Maybe this is the end of the line.

 

   “Grrrrrr…..grrrrrrrr…”

 

   The growl went louder and louder. My whole body trembled in fear. From what I know, it seems like the voice came from a wolf. Suddenly, I noticed something weird. Everything around me isn’t an empty space anymore. I only see light piercing the trees surrounding me.

 

   “Awooooooooo!!!”

 

   The bushes around me moved very wildly. I felt danger. The fear of getting chopped again surged through my mind. On my left, there’s a big stick that looks like a club. Without hesitation, I picked up the object and prepared my battle stance.

 

   “I don’t care if there are five or fifty of you. Face me!”

 

   A pack of 10 wolves appeared from the bushes. My sweat started pouring out. I know I don’t have a chance on this battle but I rather fight even with a small chance. Suddenly, one of the wolves pounced on me with its sharp claw.

 

   “Argh!”, I struck the stick to its head, making the beast drop to the ground.

 

   The rest of the wolves followed the attack. Some of them got a chance to bite my legs leading to me losing my stance. I tried to cast a magic but it seems like my ectonia is depleted. All of a sudden, multiple arrows pierced through the wolves’ heads and killed all of them instantly.

 

   “Phew….phew…I thought I will die again...”

 

   After the hopeless fight, I fell to the ground while catching my breath. I didn’t see who shot those arrows but I’m sure it’s not hostile to me. I’m slowly losing consciousness again.

 

   “A little rest will not hurt I guess.”

 

   Later that day, I woke up in a large room filled with fancy decorations. It reminds me of my old room. Suddenly, a kid entered the room carrying a tray of food.

 

   “Oh, ya already awake huh?”

   “Um….where am I?”

   “Ahhhh, ya probably confused… Me and my bro brought ya here on my mansion cuz ya passed out after batlin' those wolves”

 

   What a relief. Even though this kid has a pretty weird accent, at least I know I’m in good hands.

 

   “Ya probably hungry huh? Here ya go, eat this meal to get ya strength back again”, he handed over the food he was carrying.

 

   The kid left the room while I’m eating the meal. From the looks of it, the food is also fancy. I don’t know anything about food but the taste feels like heaven to me.

 

   “Hmmm…I wish I can eat the meal prepared by my mother once again”

 

   As I savor the food, I noticed something pretty weird. My hands are small and my body feels light. Across the room, there’s a large mirror reflecting my own image. It turns out that my body looks nothing like me and a lot younger than before.

   After finishing my meal, I left the bed and opened the door leading outside. Maybe I can find some clues about my current situation. I stepped outside the door and bumped into someone. A man probably older than my father.

 

   “Are you okay? Your wounds aren’t healed yet so you better rest in this room for the time being”

 

   My habit of not talking to someone suddenly kicked in. The conversation became a little awkward for both of us.

 

   “I see… It seems like you can’t talk yet. Well then, rest for now okay?”

   “But gramps, that guy literally talked to me earlier”, the weird kid interrupted.

 

   I felt really embarrassed after the kid blew up my character. Since it was getting more awkward, I just bowed my head to them and went back inside the room.

 

   “Hmmm… Ariel, I already told you right? Don’t just enter a conversation whenever an elderly is talking”

   “Sorry gramps, I’m not gonna do it again”

   “Don’t apologize to me, my grandson. If you really mean it, say it properly to the child okay?”

 

   After a few minutes, the two entered the room. It seems like the kid is going to say something. I’m not sure what’s going to happen so I tried to at least act like a normal child. It’s not my best trait but I need to hide my identity to avoid any suspicions.

 

   “I’m really sorry for interruptin' ya conversation earlier”, he bowed down to me and it looks like he was about to cry.

   “Good, good, you better your lesson now. Make sure you don’t do it again”

 

   With all  the drama happening, I never said a word. I felt bad for the kid but parenting is still parenting. I became a kid too so I know that it hurts to get scolded.

 

   “Oh, by the way, we forgot to introduce ourselves to you. I am Greyfelt, the head of the Mondstadt family and this child is my grandson named Ariel”

 

   It makes sense now. I remember reading something about the people outside the forest from my mother’s collection of books. These people are probably the ones they call “nobles” which explains their fancy mansion and food. Even though my family is living the same style as them, my mother told me that we are different.

 

   I guess it’s rude to not introduce myself. I will put aside my pride for now.

 

   “I…I am Ray”, a small voice came out of my mouth.

 

   I feel embarrassed hearing my child-like voice again.  Shocked by my introduction, the two smiled at me. The kid wiped his tears and came close to me. It seems like he’s very happy to know me.

 

   “Sob…ehem. Nice to meet ya Ray! Today I declare ya as my first-ever friend!”

   “I’m sorry for the inconvenience that my grandson caused to you. I hope you can understand him since he never got any friends of the same age as him.”, Grayfelt interrupted.

   “But gramps, ya said it's bad to interrupt conversations, right?”

   “Sshhhh”

 

   Suddenly, a soft giggle came out of my mouth. Both of them looked at me at the same time. After embarrassing myself, they laughed at me. This reminds me of my family. Even though I don’t know where they are right now, I just wish that I can laugh with them once again.

   “Child, I think it’s time for us to leave you for now. You still need to rest so we can’t interrupt you.”

   “Aww…I still wanna talk to ya but gramps is right. So uhhh, see ya later soon Ray!”

 

   The two of them finally left the room. It seems like I lost a lot of energy just by talking to them. Since it’s already nighttime, I think I need to sleep as long as I can especially since I don’t know what may happen soon.

 

   As soon as I close my eyes, a big explosion stopped me from sleeping.

0