Prologue I – Ambush
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RUSTLE! RUSTLE! RUSTLE!

 

A middle-aged man wearing light cloth armor rushed through a tall grassland towards the castle in the distance. He carried a katana by his side as he tucked his body to minimize the wind pressure against his body. He looked about boldly without fear of recognition as his straw hat hid most of his facial features.

 

RUSTLE! RUSTLE! RUSTLE!

 

Suddenly, two samurai emerged from within the tall grass, their katanas drawn and pointing towards the middle-aged man. The man looked up slightly towards the samurai on his left and bowed.

 

“What can I do for you sirs? I mean no ill. I am but a ronin, heading to the Shimoto Castle for work.”

 

“Give it up, Sen Hiromune! We know it is you. Just as Lord Iwashita predicted. We’ve been waiting for you to show up!” The samurai exclaimed as he shuffled his red armor and held his katana in both hands.

 

“Lord Iwashita? As in Iwashita Takasue?” Sen Hiromune frowned.

 

“How dare you speak his lordship’s name? What gives you that right?” The second samurai roared while getting into position.

 

“Hmph! Just a dog’s name, what’s the big deal about it?” Sen Hiromune drew his katana and crouched slightly into a stance with both hands on his sword.

 

“Damn you! Die!” The first samurai roared and rushed towards the middle-aged man.

 

“Haha! Come!” Sen Hiromune met the samurai in combat.

 

Sen Hiromune rushed towards the samurai and swung with all his might. The samurai barely managed to block the heavy blow, but his sword was knocked back from the power. As the samurai struggled to regain his balance, he managed to block another heavy blow from the middle-aged man.

 

Sen Hiromune, seeing that the samurai had his front wide open, rushed towards him with his katana held close to his chest. However, before he could thrust his sword and pierce the unlucky enemy, the second samurai knocked his katana back and stepped in between him and the first samurai.

 

The two warriors exchanged blows, causing sparks to fly from their swords. The samurai managed to block Sen Hiromune’s attacks blow for blow! Seeing the first samurai regain his posture from the corner of his eyes, Sen Hiromune lashed out with his left leg, catching his opponent off-guard.

 

As the samurai dazed for a second, the middle-aged man charged with renewed fervor. Slash upon slash drained the samurai’s strength and stamina until finally, Sen Hiromune was able to knock the katana out of the samurai’s hands.

 

The samurai gazed at his katana slipping out of his hands, his mind whirred with panic and helplessness. He closed his eyes and accepted his death. However, nothing happened. His eyes flew open when he heard someone call out to him.

 

“Wake up you idiot!”

 

The first samurai had come to his rescue! Hearing the footsteps from the first samurai, Sen Hiromune spun around and parried the incoming attack. He lunged forward with a strike but was parried in response. The samurai shook his katana, bringing the middle-aged man’s sword to the side upon contact.

 

The two exchanged some more moves without drawing blood. Suddenly, Sen Hiromune felt bloodlust directed towards him from behind. The other samurai must have recovered his breath! Without turning around, the experienced warrior sidestepped out of the way just in time to dodge a fatal thrust.

 

The two samurais attacked Sen Hiromune in synchronization, one aiming high while the other aiming low. The middle-aged man hoped around and parried as he felt the pressure and slowly retreated.

 

When the two samurai both prepared to stab him, the middle-aged man drop to the ground and rolled back. After two rolls, he was back on his feet. Not only had he dodged the stab attacks, he had also managed to put some distance between them.

 

While the two samurai charged at him, Sen Hiromune circled about them on their right, drawing their attention to him like rhinos. Because of this, the second samurai was a couple of feet in front of the first samurai.

 

Taking advantage of this, Sen Hiromune lunged forward with his sword raised. The warrior brought his katana down hard on the samurai’s blade, causing pieces of metal to chip from the blade. The second samurai swung again but was successfully parried.

 

However, without giving Sen Hiromune any time to rest, the second samurai spun around with the momentum and carried his blade faster than the eye could see. Sen Hiromune tried to dodge but his armor was cut, and a tear formed at his gut. He was almost disemboweled!

 

The second samurai nodded towards his partner while he struggled against the enemy. “Sound the alarm! I don’t think the two of us can finish him off!”

 

“Alright!” The first samurai nodded as he reached into his clothes and pulled out a small wooden whistle.

 

“Oh no you don’t!” Sen Hiromune flashed with anger and drew out the rest of his strength to quickly dismember the second samurai in a series of slashes.

 

As the corpse fell from his blade, the middle-aged warrior charged towards the first samurai. However, he was too late.

 

TWEET! TWWEEEE!

 

After sounding the alarm, the first samurai spat out the whistle at Sen Hiromune who tilted his head to the side and swung his sword upwards.

 

CLANG!

 

The two swords met with the release of sparks and metal chips.

 

CLANG!

 

Again, the two warriors countered each other with no sight of blood. Sen Hiromune swung his leg out and floored the samurai.

 

PUCHI!

 

With a follow-up slash, the warrior tore out a chunk of the samurai’s throat. Blood gushed out like a fountain and dyed the surrounding grass red. Sen Hiromune swung his sword down sharply to shake off whatever blood was left on his blade before sheathing his katana.

 

Looking around, he decided to continue straight for the castle. If it was any other time, he would have backtracked and circled around the grassland. However, he was pressed with time. He must get to Shimoto Castle before it was too late.

 

RUSTLE! RUSTLE! RUSTLE!

 

Quickly, he disappeared into the tall grass.

 

Minutes later, two shadowy figures arrived at the scene of the battle. One of the shadowy figures glanced around before landing his eyes on the path Sen Hiromune took.

 

“He couldn’t have gone far. Chase!” The shadowy figure remarked as the two gave chase.

2