Chapter 1 – Sen Iefusa
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Weeks later….

 

“Damn! Dammit, dammit, DAMMIT!”

 

A young man charged down the streets of London with fear and panic embedded on his face. His periodic glances over his shoulder indicated that he was being chased.

 

The young man pushed past a few people loitering on the streets. “Out of the way! Out of the bloody way!”

 

As the residents of London glanced curiously at the frantic man, a shot rang out. The young man’s head exploded, splattering blood and brain matter everywhere. Those who had whatever was left of the exploded head land on them, screamed in horror and disgust. Some even vomited uncontrollably while others soiled themselves.

 

While everyone scattered away from the corpse, one person strode calmly towards it. It was a young man from the East. In his hand was a flintlock…he was the murderer!

 

To console the bystanders, the young man brightened up his serious face with a smile. “Calm down citizens. I am from the Night Watch.”

 

“B-But it’s morning! Isn’t this not within the jurisdiction of the watchmen?” One brave man asked, his demeaner and style revealed his occupation to the young Eastern man.

 

“I’ve chased him since last night. He was a slippery fellow. Can’t let a criminal escape just because time is up, now can I?” The young man retorted.

 

“Hm…w-what you said m-makes sense.”

 

“Alright, clear the area. The constables have arrived.” The young man clapped his hands as he saw his friend – Inspector Henry – approaching the crime scene.

 

“Hello Joseph, what’s the situation?” A blond man in his early thirties greeted as he looked at the headless corpse, his hands gestured towards the constables to secure the scene and examine the body.

 

“Bastard was a robber. Caught him red-handed assaulting a family of three who were trying to get home after the showing of Hamlet.” Joseph replied as he nodded towards the body. “Chased him all through the city and finally caught up to him this morning.”

 

“I see. Well, good job. Go home and rest, it’s our turn now.” Henry patted Joseph on the back.

 

“Alright, take care.” Joseph tipped his hat and left the crime scene.

 

Minutes later, Joseph entered a shabby house and collapsed onto the bed dead tired. It was well into the afternoon when he woke up from his slumber. Having not eaten since last night, the young man was feeling a bit peckish.

 

Joseph scrambled out of bed and headed to the kitchen to make a sandwich or two. Suddenly, a series of short raps sounded from his flimsy door. The young man put down his half-eaten sandwich and walked over to the door.

 

“Who is it?” Joseph asked as he unlocked his door.

 

“It’s me! Something urgent has shown up!” A familiar voice called out.

 

The young Eastern man opened the door to reveal a young man in his early twenties wearing a priest outfit. Joseph gazed at the man in surprise and asked. “Caleb! What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at church attending confessions today?”

 

“Joseph, the constables brought over a man to me a few minutes ago. They said the man had smuggled himself onto a merchant ship.” The priest explained after catching his breath.

 

“Okay.” Joseph retorted while scratching his head. “And why tell me? What does that have to do with me?

 

“The man is from your country – Japanese. With my limited knowledge, I was still able to confirm that the man is looking for you.”

 

“For me? What does he look like?”

 

“He’s a bit short…less than five feet, and he is bald with a crisscross scar on his right cheek.”

 

“Nobumasa-san? Can’t be…he should be by father’s side.” Joseph murmured with muffled surprise.

 

“You know him?”

 

“I need to make sure. You said he’s at church? Let’s go.”

 

The two rushed back to church after Joseph grabbed his trenchcoat. As soon as they arrived, Joseph saw a short man jump around the church benches while being chased by a couple of constables. When the constables saw Joseph arrive, they stopped chasing the small man and greeted the Eastern young man.

 

“Watchman Sen, this man kept trying to escape. We were just trying to subdue him.” One constable tried to explain.

 

“I understand. No need to continue. I’ll handle it from here.” Joseph nodded as he turned his sights on the short man who started tearing up upon seeing him.

 

“Nobumasa-san, it’s really you. What happened? Why did you come here?” Joseph patted the short man on his shoulders while speaking in his mother tongue.

 

“Young lord! *SNIFF* Y-Young l-lord!! WAAAA!!” Nobumasa started crying uncontrollably.

 

Sensing the urgency in Nobumasa’s wails of sadness, Joseph couldn’t help but feel a lump rising from his heart. “What’s wrong? Tell me! What happened?”

 

“Y-Young lord…the lord and lady…they…they died! WAAAAA!!!”

 

“W-WHAT!? What happened!? Explain it to me now!” Joseph grabbed Nobumasa and shook him roughly.

 

“Y-Young lord…it was the T-Takasue Faction! They rebelled…they rebelled against your grandfather! Y-Your mother – Lady Iwashita – was forced to commit seppuku…and y-your father died i-in combat!”

 

Joseph breathed in deeply as he tried to prevent himself from fainting. “What of the Three Crimson Stars?”

 

“S-Some tried to rebel but were killed immediately. Those w-who were left were d-disbanded and the warriors were distributed into other armies…or sent to the frontlines.”

 

“Iwashita Takasue…that fucking bastard! I must have my revenge!” Joseph slammed his fist on one of the benches, causing it to splinter.

 

Startled, the constables turned towards Joseph. Priest Caleb asked his friend worryingly. “What’s wrong?”

 

“N-Nothing’s wrong. I can take care of it myself.” Joseph dismissed his friend’s worries as he turned his attention back to Nobumasa. “Tell me, what of the Four Crimson Stars?”

 

The Four Crimson Stars, unlike the Three Crimson Stars which was a true army of Joseph’s father, consisted of a group of young hotblooded men brought together through friendship and good sake. They were essentially a small group of friends with little to no authority or power in their name.

 

Joseph created this group for fun when he was just a kid. However, because they were brothers through thick and thin, the young man worried that the Takasue Faction would find fault and provoke his friends.

 

Sensing Joseph’s intentions when asking that question, Nobumasa quickly relieved the young lord’s worries. “Young lord, the Four Crimson Stars are fine. Although young noble Soga Kanesuke wanted to gather his father’s army to take revenge, young noble Ishida Motomichi managed to stop his recklessness. Other than that incident, every one else had laid low.”

 

“That’s good.” Joseph sighed as he patted Nobumasa’s shoulder. “You’ve done well to bring me this news. I will reward you when we get back.”

 

The short man brightened upon hearing about rewards but quickly reverted his expression as he kneeled. “I did not do this for any reward, young lord. It is my duty to serve the Sen Clan.”

 

“Alright, alright. Who are you to fool? I know that you really care about rewards.”

 

Nobumasa embarrassingly chuckled as he scratched his bald head. “When shall we leave, young lord? Would it be dangerous?”

 

“With these bad boys, it won’t be dangerous. We’ll leave first thing tomorrow morning.” Joseph replied with confidence as he pulled out his pistol.

 

“What is that, young lord?”

 

“This is a pistol…a firearm.”

 

Joseph held Nobumasa up and the two Japanese men prepared to head back to Joseph’s home. Before the young lord could walk out of the church, he was blocked by Caleb who looked worried despite Joseph’s dismisses.

 

“Joseph, are you sure you’re alright? You’re not, right? I can tell that you aren’t.”

 

“I’m fine Caleb. I–!”

 

“No! You are not fine. Tell me what happened!”

 

“As expected of my friend, nothing gets past you.” Joseph sighed, giving in to Caleb’s persistence and told him of the news.

 

“What?” The priest cried out upon hearing the contents of the terrible news. “What are you going to do about it?”

 

“Revenge.” Joseph replied with determination. “Are you going to stop me?”

 

“Normally, I would.” Caleb nodded as his friend knew him well. “But this Iwashita Takasue sounds like a real demon. He might not stop until he killed you as well.”

 

“That’s why I must get to him first…before he gets to me or my friends.”

 

“Fine. Do what you have to do. But, let me come with you. Revenge is a terrible obsession. At least let me come with you to help keep you in check.”

 

“Alright. But don’t be reckless and stay within the protection of my guards. I don’t want you to lose your life over my matters.”

 

“What about me?” A voice called out as Henry walked through the church’s doors. “I overheard what happened. Count me in.”

 

“You? What about your work? London needs you.” Joseph countered as he pointed at the constables.

 

“You know I’m not the only inspector, right? There’re three others. They can take care of it. However, Joseph, you need my help more. Don’t object. Count me in and that’s final.”

 

“Fine.” Joseph smiled, a warmth spreading through his body.

 

“Alright. So, when do we leave?” Caleb interjected as he placed his arms around his friends’ shoulders.

 

“Tomorrow. Oh, and when we arrive, don’t call me Joseph.”

 

“Oh? What should we call you then?” Henry turned towards the Eastern man with a curious look.

 

“Iefusa…call me Sen Iefusa.”

2