Chapter 36: Rescue Mission Planning Pt.1
470 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Clara’s POV): 

I ran as fast as I could to Ethan’s room, the thin trailer floor shaking as I bolted down the narrow hallway. Flinging open the door, I stepped inside and immediately locked eyes with what I needed. Leaned up against the far corner of his bedroom was Dad’s shotgun. Ethan had told me its name but at that moment I didn't give a shit, a gun is a gun, and I was going to use it to get my brother back.

Grabbing the shotgun, I slung the camo-patterned strap over my shoulder. The cold metal pressing against the small of my back sent shivers down my spine. Reaching on the top of his dresser right next to the jar of quarters he kept I grabbed the box of twelve gauge shells up there. I ran out of the bedroom, my hand gripping the stock to make sure the gun didn't bang into the walls of the hallway. My sneakers were already on, the no shoes in the house rule was the furthest thing on my mind at the moment. Reaching for the door handle I pried it open just as the screen door on the other side creaked open.

“Woah—holy shit you scared me!” The lady spoke with a nervous warble, her dark brown eyes peering up at me from behind her glasses. She had short black hair, the messy strands looking like a bird's nest on her head. Under the dark shadow of the porch, her chocolate-colored skin almost blended in with the night.

“Who are you?” My tone was harsh, the girl flinching at the sight of the gun slung over my shoulder. Narrowing my eyes I scanned her up and down looking for any weapons, my eyes casting a glance over her shoulder to see if there were any more ‘visitors’. Was she involved with E’s kidnapping? Abby had said that's what he had texted her before going silent. Anyway, coming here around 4 o’clock in the morning was suspicious as hell.

“U-uh, my name is Pepper and I’m a friend of Ethan. He’d given me this address to come to—”

“Do you know where he’s at?” My hands darted out faster than lightning as I grabbed the girl by the collar. Lifting her in the air was almost laughably easy as she was really small, my eyes glaring at her to get the point across.

“N-no, I-I thought he was here! He told me to come here ‘cause my parents kicked me out of the house!” She squealed, her hands trying to desperately pry mine off of her sweater. It wasn't long before her efforts became unnecessary when I lowered her to the floor myself. 

Pulling out my phone I dialed Abby’s number, I’d gotten it from Becky who got it from Rachel. As the dial tone rang in my ear I continued to watch the Pepper like a hawk, the girl fidgeting under my harsh gaze.

‘Hello?’ Abby’s voice sounded rough like she was close to snapping at any moment. I could sympathize as I felt myself growing closer and closer to exploding, a vein throbbing on my forehead.

“There’s a girl who showed up on our porch saying she knows Ethan. She’s got short hair, black skin, and’s wearing glasses—” 

‘Oh, that’s just Pepper, she’s chill.’ Her words were like a damp blanket over my suspicion of the girl. When it came to Ethan, Abby wouldn't lie, she looked at Ethan with the same eyes Elsie did. I wonder how mine look when I'm with E?

“Uh—okay, how’s Becky doing on dragging up his location?” Abby had put her on the job almost immediately, the girl taking to the mission like it was a fun side quest for her. 

‘She’s working on the math trying to coordinate his location from the signals between the cell towers.’ I could almost picture Becky typing away on a calculator, the blue glowing screens of her multiple monitor computer set up illuminating her face and blue hair. 

“W-where did she pull that info from?” I wouldn't have put it past her to do something illegal to get the info. Rachel is a cool older sis but she also was a bit of a troublemaker when it came to the law and Becky no doubt inherited that. I’m grateful for her help but I don’t want the feds knocking on her door when this is all said and done.

‘I don't know, it’s Becky. Anyway, we’re all meeting up at Rivera’s as it was the last place anyone saw him. Do you need a ride?’ Her voice made it sound like she was shrugging her shoulders at Becky’s methods, she seemed nonplussed about the potential consequences. That’s a rich girl for ya, I guess. 

“No…I think Pepper here can help me out with that, but could you pick up Elsie for me? Me and Pepper will be getting Ricky and Billy.” I could already hear them whining if they found out Ethan had been kidnapped and they hadn't been invited to help get him back

‘I’m okay with getting little Elsie but do we really need those two?’ She sounded… disgusted thinking of those two and I couldn't really fault her for it. They were gross but Ethan liked them so for all their idiotic antics (mostly Ricky) I would tolerate them to make him happy.

“They’ll make good distractions.” ‘and meatshields’ That part was left unsaid, however. 

‘…Fine, but don't expect the others to be happy.’ She groaned out the word fine like she was making a major sacrifice but I was more worried about the mention of the word ‘others’.

“Wait—how many other people have you gotten involved?” I wanted Ethan to be rescued, in fact, I would kill to make it happen but did we really need more people to achieve that? We could go in guns blazing and—

‘Veronica, Becky, Rachel, Olivia, and Ms. Anderson.’ Each one was a beautiful girl, that fact making my skin crawl as I fought the bile rapidly making its way up my throat. I tolerated Abby because she kept my brother happy, but these other hussies were a different story. 

“Are you serious about Veronica being there?” I was still angry about her rejecting Ethan, the bitch having the gall to offer to help after what she did really chaps my ass.

‘…To put it bluntly, my sister is an idiot. She doesn't hate Ethan, in fact, she still loves him.’ 

“Then why did she reject him like a bitch?” I growled, my fingers clamping down around my phone. Pepper shivered, her head ducking low to avoid my angry gaze.

‘Because our parents threatened to ship her out to our Grandma in Maine if she said yes. She rejected Ethan harshly in an attempt to get him to stay away from her.’

“…I still don't like her.” That was an understatement because I still wanted to kick her teeth in for what she did. Gently letting him down would’ve worked you stupid bitch!

‘You don't have to, but she’s willing to help and that's all that really matters right now.’ 

“I guess, but did you say his teacher was coming as well?” Camilla, he’d been calling her that any time she was brought up. Was that big-titted sow someone I’d have to watch out for too?

‘Rachel blabbed to her about it so she’s insisting on coming too.’ I believed that her desire to keep her job free from any potential jeopardy by engaging in an illicit affair with one of her students would keep her away. Maybe I was wrong, but her level of care for Ethan extended beyond just student and teacher. 

Even if the other teachers at school knew he’d been kidnapped they wouldn't do shit but give empty platitudes and a call to the police. The bastards of the Munford Police Department couldn't be trusted to find a lost wallet let alone Ethan who at least one of them hated.

“So that’s one…two…fucking 9 girls?” It was frustrating that so many women surrounded him but I guess it just showed how popular Ethan was.

‘Don’t forget the two idiots.’ They don't count because they don't have a pussy to seduce Ethan with!

“I could care less about them! Why does my brother know so many chicks!?” He doesn't have social media, well he does but he doesn't post on it. He’s not rich nor is he a tall and slender pretty boy, no, he’s a stout mean-looking man, and yet women are crawling over him like moths to a flame. It’s his personality, isn't it?

‘He’s a total perv, right~?’ Yes, but he’s surrounded by hotties so I can't really blame him. 

“Why do you sound happy about that?” She should be mad about it, but here she is teasing like it's a funny joke.

‘I’m not but right now it's pretty helpful having all of these women around him.’ Another verbal shrug of the shoulders has me wishing she could see me roll my eyes.

“O-kay, well I’ll let you get back to your preparations.” 

‘See ya, Clara’

“Yeah later.” 

Pulling the phone away from my ear I once again looked at the fidgeting Pepper. She was twiddling her fingers nervously and when she realized I’d ended the call and was looking at her she jolted.

“Come on, we’ve got to go, my brother’s in trouble.” My tone was commanding, the girl would find herself becoming a hostage if she refused. 

“B-but, I need to let Piper out before we go?” Pepper stuttered her words, her eyes glancing over to her car. I think I really spooked the girl because she seems super skittish. It’s probably the gun, but with the way my face is scowling right now, I wouldn't put it past it being the correct answer as well.

“Who’s Piper?” My question goes unanswered as the sound of nails scraping glass fill the air, the sound only stopping when the cars occupant figures out how to use the window switch. The sound replacing the scraping is the electric motor whirring to let the glass down.

*Woof*

My eyes looked over to the left side of the trailer where the shed was at. Parked in the gravel drive was a Civic sedan, the silver paint gleaming under the glow of the floodlight above the shed door. The back driver side window was rolled down, a slobbering maw of sharp teeth stuck out of the crack as it barked. Piper wasn't a little toy dog, no she was a German Shepherd, and a big one at that.

“That’s Piper—”

“That name’s misleading you know?” Piper is a cute dog name for small little fluffy dogs not a fully grown German Shepherd. I’d expected a Chihuahua not a big ass dog! 

“I’ve been told that a few times, hehe.” The girl rubbed at the back of her head as a sheepish grin played across her lips. 

“We’ve got a chain out back or she can stay on the porch but she can't come inside while we're out. Can’t have her shitting on the carpet.” No, I’d already broken the no-shoes rule and I didn't need another mess to cleanup when I got home. Ethan will probably want to sleep it off when he gets home and there is no way in hell I’m running the vacuum to interrupt that.

“W-well, maybe she can help us.” Pepper’s suggestion made me pause. My eyes scanned the dog as its tongue lolled out of its mouth, glittering strands of slobber dripping across the metal door.

“She trained?” I was sceptical, the dog looked more like a happy-go-lucky pet and we don't need to be slowed down.

“Yeah, she’s a former police dog.” Pepper’s voice was filled with pride, her grin growing fond as she looked at Piper. 

“Well, that makes twelve looking for you Ethan,” I muttered under my breath, my feet leading me toward the car with the shotgun slung over my shoulder. Whoever did this to you is going to pay, and that’s a promise.

17