Chapter 12 Counter to Mutiny Begins II
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Got a laptop, it's a ThinkPad, let's go!

 

In the west of Pangaea, there lies an empire. 

Stories from wandering bards have claimed it to be a nation where one can change their lives.

Mines from open ravines that looked like it was ruptured by titans, its depth so deep that a single droplet of water could be heard even from a distance and during the night, it glittered like stars as seen beyond the skies.

The seemingly flat plains that stretched as far as the eye can see, its arable nature has provided an abundance of sustenance to its occupants.

Thanks to these natural resources, the empire soared throughout the years since its iteration.

A nation of dreams and redemption, or so they say…

Borne from the remnants of fallen kingdoms and civilizations.

The Darlberg Empire was a nation built upon the framework of past failures.

Supposedly, its goal as an Empire was to show that under a united and centralized governance, peace and prosperity was guaranteed under their umbrella.

In other words, an antithesis of their history of folly.

“Your Majesty, we, your servants, have come to deliver you news.”

The atmosphere was heavy within the chambers of the esteemed Emperor of Darlberg.

“His Highness, Prince Boros, has not yet come back.”

Prince Boros, the heir to the Darlberg Empire and the only son of the current Emperor.

The Emperor’s feathered pen, made from the remains of a wyvern which is said to be more durable than steel, was pulverized upon the slight squeeze of his palm.

“What is his whereabouts?”

“Currently, Prince Boros, His Highness, is still at Leotopia staying at the residence of the Duke Starheim.” 

Anger flares up within him, he massages his temple to keep his head cool.

His sole male offspring, the one to inherit the Empire, was busy neglecting his duties as a prince and is instead wasting his time on the other side of the Evermore Mountains, fooling around at the epicenter of neutrality.

It would’ve been fine if the Prince stayed there for a month, but not only did he go there in advance in anticipation to the debut of the third prince of Leotopia, but he also ignored his letters that he had sent.

The Emperor was frustrated…

But even then, he understood why the Prince, his only son, was acting like this.

“Perhaps, His Highness needs more time to recuperate…”

Despite being a sign of the pinnacle of authority, he was still human, in flesh and in heart.

The Emperor remembered the cause of this rift.

“It’s truly unfortunate.” 

He gestures the messengers away.

“If I had foreknowledge of the future, I wouldn’t have wasted the breath and effort to procreate such a defunct and needlessly spoiled imbecile!”

He shuts his eyes close.

Knock.

“Pardon my intrusion, Father.”

Dressed in a silver dress, her long lilac hair flowed beyond her shoulders.

“Lila, what brings you here? Aren’t you supposed to be at the Isle of Wisdom conference?” 

“The conference’ schedule was moved on the eve of winter.”

The Emperor’s treasured daughter and the Empire’s most talented Mage that comes once in a thousand years. 

Her name was Lila Darlberg.

“I heard that Brother has not yet returned. Did the two of you have an argument with each other again?” 

The Emperor sighs, “That would be the case, although I was a bit too harsh on him this time around…”

It was supposed to be a simple scolding session, but after countless attempts of fixing his son’s attitude, all his built-up frustration exploded at some point in their conversation.

Lila looks at her side and unto the walls hanging the portraits of the royal family.

Spanning from the first generation to the present, they were the testaments and representations that defined eras of the Darlberg Empire.

When she saw the stern yet calm look of the deceased empress, her face dropped into a frown.

“What would Mother do in this situation…”

The woman in the portrait, Seila Darlberg, the former and now deceased empress.

She was the mother of both Lila and Boros Darlberg.

When the Emperor heard her call out to his deceased wife, the one who he entrusted his life with and loved the most, he couldn’t help but bitterly reminisce about her.

Noticing this, Lila comforts her father.

“If my brother comes back, I’ll make sure to talk to him.”

She turns around and opens the door but then glances at the portrait once again.

“Don’t worry father, I’ll try to keep him in check.

With that said, the office chamber of the Emperor was quiet once again.

 


 

Something happened that made me dumbfounded for a moment.

When I dispelled the effect of the tome on the envoy, his appearance, mainly his face, started to fade away revealing something bizarre.

“Who the hell is this guy?” Young, he was younger than the disguise he wore.

And by quite a margin too. 

Hell! He may even be just five years older than me!

“Leo, come take a look at this.”

The crown prince stared at the unconscious face of the envoy.

“Isn’t this the prince of Darlberg?”

Huh…?

“If I remember correctly, his name was Boros Darlberg…” The crown prince cups his chin, then calls out to Rel.

“Fetch me a glass of water.”

Rel came back immediately with a glass full of water.

The crown prince approached the unconscious envoy and poured the glass on his face.

He woke up, gagging then gasping.

“Fuck! Are you trying to drown me?!” 

The crown prince slapped him on the cheek and in return, he cursed and spewed profanities. 

But the crown prince didn’t stop, whenever the envoy tried opening his mouth, Leo would just slap him.

Somehow, it was a bit amusing. 

When the envoy became silent, the crown prince stopped assaulting him.

I mean, his face was swelling…

 “So will you listen to me now?” The crown prince said coldly and menacingly.

The envoy gulped and nodded.

“Good, I have some questions.” 

The crown prince sat right in front of him.

“Why is the Prince of Darlberg acting as an envoy?”

There was no answer, instead he shut his mouth and closed his eyes as if to ignore the situation he is in or so that was what I thought at first glance.

Was it a normal reaction, I don’t think so…

At that moment, I felt the slight movement of mana within his body, and I reacted quickly.

My hunch was right.

I held out my hand and dispelled whatever he was doing by forcibly taking control of his mana.

Thankfully, I had enough mana in my tank to make an interference…

My head felt a bit lightheaded, though.

“Huh?! Why did that not work!” The envoy blurted out his shock.

The crown prince seemed to have understood what just happened.

He took out his short sword from his scabbard and pointed it at his neck.

Pressing it against his throat, the envoy yelped in fear.

Then he turned around and said something to me, but I couldn’t quite comprehend it.

I clutched my head; the light headedness was making me dizzy all of a sudden.

“August?” I heard him call my name.

Ugh…I need to answer him, but my head feels like it’s splitting apart.

As if the world was spinning rapidly around me, my consciousness finally succumbed to the overwhelming vertigo.

—Thud.

0