Our New Ruler
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luminita looked out from her window. She and anyone else with major involvement with the Lux was quickly put inside here for her own coronation. She was in the top floor with all the other rulers, instead of one floor below where the children of rulers stayed. The people her own age, like Willow and Javier. She wondered what they were even up to. Willow was probably worrying about her and panicking openly on her behalf. Javier was…probably the same, only more subtle about it. She gave herself one more look in the mirror. She looked paler than usual, she couldn't bring herself to stop with everything that was happening. Her hair was brushed and cleaned, but not styled yet. She glanced over her dress one more time. Black in the bust area but pure white everywhere else, with pure dainty gloves squeezing her hands.

She stepped out of her room into the glass area attached to each bedroom on the first floor. Glass floors and walls, with a white roof to prevent the sunlight making it too hot. The view of Sangaria was perfect. The castle stood as a tiny speck on the centre of the airship, with the grand surrounded by a wall stopping anyone from falling off it's edge. The humble streets and shops, entirely out of view. She glanced at the two ships to each side. Gurut to the left, and ShiShi to the right. Sylvestro and Fen Hou would hopefully be good at guiding her on what being a ruler actually meant. Because she was hopelessly out of her depth here. Marcel already had his detractors, and all of them would be looking for her to change, but his supporters would be thinking about how someone as young as her could live up to his legacy. She was already pacing around the room, trying not to buckle at the pressure before she even stepped on that stupid stage.

There was a knock on the door. She looked at the clock in her room, and the coronation was half an hour away. She opened it, and Zach was in front of her, holding a small box in his hands.

"I interrupting anything?" He asked, glancing around the room.

"You aren't." She assured. "What's in the box?"

"Now, don't hate me, but I got some of your staff to help me get something you might want."

Zach handed her the cardboard box. Luminita removed the single layer of tape, and inside was a crimson cape with fur along the ends. She recognised it from somewhere, but she couldn't tell where. Suddenly, all the pieces sprang together in her mind.

"My…mother." She said quietly, trying not to let the tears burst out of her.

"Figured she'd give it to you if she could." Zach nodded slowly to himself. "Look, if you have any issues, anything at all, just let me know, okay?"

There was another knock at the door, followed by Mia casually letting herself in.

"Zach." She announced flatly. "Mind explaining what you're doing in here?"

"Just dropping something in for the queen." He replied, smiling to himself as he finished the sentence. "I'll let you get to what you're here for."

Zach closed the door behind him, and Mia locked eyes with Luminita. Mia's green eyes weren't stern as she was so accustomed to seeing them. They were more relaxed, sympathetic.

"Your hair's a mess." She said. "Sit down and I'll take care of it."

Luminita sat down in front of her mirror, and Luminita began styling her hair. She was styling with near surgical precision, quickly giving her hair a wavy quality near the end.

"You're really good at this."

"Good to know I still have it." Mia nodded, quickly letting the illusion of a smile leave her lips before her mouth returned to it's neutral expression.

"You used to do this?"

"Went to school for styling. Actually managed to work with a couple celebrities before I was called to lead the Lux."

"Celebrities?"

"Did you know I was the first stylist for Miles Parker on some soap advertisement?"

"No way."

"Indeed. But, my parents both succumb to illness at the same time, and suddenly I was called to rule."

"Well, you seemed to handle it, at least."

"Oh please, they'd all rather follow that brute than me."

"Zach?"

"That one, yes. I'm assuming he said you could confide in him."

"He did, yes."

"Well, the same applies for me."

Mia let Luminita's hair down, and she felt it for a few seconds. She almost instantly turned her hair into something more full of life. She had more confidence now. She almost felt ready to take the charge towards her country.

"You're on in ten minutes." Mia said softly as she passed through the door. "Good luck."

Willow was putting a band-aid over a bloody pinky finger on her left hand, while Javier looked over at her in mild confusion.

"Did you fall on something?" He asked, looking around for anything dangerous in the area.

"Look, I was biting my nails and ripped a hangnail off. I'm fine." Willow said nervously, moving on to biting what was left of the nails on her right hand.

"Hey, you guys."

Javier and Willow looked up at who was beside them. A man taller then them with shaggy brown hair and a white polo shirt and jeans, wearing two leather gloves. Zach's son, Arden. Four years older.

"Been a while, how you guys doing?"

"We're doing alright." Javier replied, glancing at the wall in the hopes Arden would as well. He would, giving Willow the time to patch her finger up. "Just a little nervous."

"Makes sense, considering it's Luminita. Remember when I had to babysit the fo…bunch of you during meetings?"

"Yeah, I do." Javier chuckled slightly.

"You know, Willow? People think the scar on my hand is from some horrific incident with a criminal and not a nine year old's hero game involving a comical amount of knives." He said, removing the glove on his left hand, showing the bright red scar going horizontally across it.

"I said I was sorry." Willow sighed.

"After you called me a weakling several times." Arden said. "No hard feelings, obviously. Actually, Nuria wants to know if you guys were okay with spending some time in Mar-Luminita's castle for a while to help her adjust.

"Yeah, I could do that." Javier nodded.

"Well, I have plans to help your dad back in Fightston, but I'm down once that's done."

"Cool, cool." Arden nodded. "She doesn't want to seem weak right now, but she could really use the support from close friends."

"Close friends? I mean…I guess?" Javier said while looking at the floor.

"What, did you guys have a fight or something?"

"No, it's just…we never really hang out anymore. Don't even think I have her number. Not that I hate her, we just grew kind of distant."

"Distant? What, since…"

Javier put his hand over Arden's mouth.

"Look, things are already stressful enough, we do not need to be reminded of that."

Arden took a step back and looked at Javier with a blank expression, then a quick nod.

"Yeah, actually. Makes sense. Well, I'll see you at the ceremony."

Javier couldn't help but let out an agitated sigh when Arden left. He never even thought about things like news coverage until now, but that was probably going to be everywhere after the ceremony. A decade ago, him alongside the three others were the 'future four pillars' Javier, Willow, Luminita, and Levin, next in line for Lux itself. But Levin died. Suicide after a series of Legion attacks left him feel helpless under the pressure. Luckily, the news media left the three of them alone and never really went back to them. Whether out of respect for grieving pre-teens or parental pressure, he never found out. But the whole incident was bound to come up again. He knew Luminita wouldn't like it, but having to hear about it would destroy Willow. She reacted the worst out of it, and he wouldn't be suprised if he never fully recovered.

"Uh, Javier?" Willow asked, shaking him out of his worries. "Ceremonies ready."

The two of them entered the circular room, with three rows of circular wooden pews laying before a set of white marble steps leading to the platform Luminita was supposed to step out of. The first row was made up of the rulers, and the next two were the partners and children. Despite this, Javier and Willow took a free space next to Rory in the front row, who didn't say anything. Freyja looked from the other end, but Rory leaned forward to cough a little until her gaze was back towards the platform.

Mia stepped out of the two doors at the back. She didn't make a sound as she approached the small podium.

"Thank you all for coming." She announced as she approached the podium. "I know this is on very short notice due to the tragic events that Sangaria has experienced. But, she, Willow, and Javier were always considered the future three pillars, and I have nothing but good faith that she will lead Sangaria into newfound prosperity. And without further ado, the newest ruler in the Lux Congregation."

There was an intense applause as Luminita stepped out. Luminita herself was trying her best to look confident and ready as she approached the podium.

"Esteemed members of the Lux Congregation." She started. "I thank you for having me join your noble cause. My only hope is that I can be of service not only to you, but of all members of the Skyspace."

The speech was short. She clearly wasn't prepared, but nobody cared as the crowd leapt into applause. Willow was the most enthusiastic about it, screaming at the top of her lungs for her. Luminita did her best attempt to look proud on that stage until the others died down. She then bowed before them and retreated back.

"Javier, go follow her." Nuria whispered.

Javier gave a thumbs up and went into the door, with Willow following.

Inside the white room, Luminita was shaking slightly as she filled a cup with orange juice and brought it to her lips.

"Hey there, queen Luminita." Willow said quietly as she closed the door, bowing to her afterwards, which Javier copied.

"You…you guys." Luminita looked towards them, her voice starting to waver. She ran up towards them, embracing them just a few seconds before she started crying behind them. The sobbing lasted a while, but it didn't really matter to either of them. They began to embrace her back, and she eventually pried herself off her friends.

"Hey, so my parents got the idea to help you run your place for the first few days. They say it'll be a good idea to teach us all how to rule eventually. You down?" Javier asked.

Luminita nodded silently, trying to bring herself to speak.

"I'll be there too, but Zach needs me in Fightston for a couple days. But hey, save a place for me!"

The three of them walked out of the room together, talking about plans for the future. Once Willow passed her room, she waved them goodbye and ducked into it. Once inside, she checked underneath her bed for her suitcase and opened it. The spear was still inside, and nobody was called. And if anything was found out, she left a helpful note that the Legion had nothing to do with the weapon borrowing process. She took out her phone and called Zach.

"Okay, when are we leaving?"

0