Chapter 8 – The Old Man Living in The Mountain
193 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mu Cheng simply told the old man the truth about his situation. He explained how the village he used to stay in had been raided by bandits, and he luckily survived, then he had tried to find another village, but ended up lost here in this forest. As for what happened before he came to the village, he did not remember at all. The former owner of the body's memories turned very blurry regarding the memories before he came to the village.

"Little Han, don't worry, I'll bring you to Blue Haw village, I'm sure a good boy like you will be liked by many. Some villagers might even adopt you." The old man consoled.

"Right, you can call me Grandpa Fu." The old man said as he gently caressed Mu Cheng's dirty hair without caring how dirt his hands got.

"I, I can be adopted?" Mu Cheng's mouth gaped in shock at Grandpa Fu's words. Numerous thought swirled in his mind.

"Of course." Grandpa Fu said, while he glanced at the scratches covering Mu Cheng's tiny body, the messy and dirty rabbit fur coat, and the bone spear held tightly in Mu Cheng's hand. Grandpa Fu sighed at the plight a 6-year-old child had to go through at such a young age.

"Oh! Then I definitively got to get adopted by some rich big shot! It got to be a noble! A big noble family!" Mu Cheng squealed in glee internally. Even a smile escaped the corner of his mouth.

Grandpa Fu seemingly misunderstood and thought Mu Cheng was happy to be adopted to a villager, and smile slightly as he nodded his head.

As the group of three, the big tiger included, traversed the forest with ease, Mu Cheng was eager to know more about this world, and Grandpa Fu was very friendly and kind. Grandpa Fu continuously explained and talked, greatly increasing Mu Cheng's knowledge of this world.

What Mu Cheng had learned from Grandpa Fu, was that the world did not seem much different from ancient China, but his knowledge of wild herbs, fruit and greenery were lacking, so he could not compare the plants here with Earth's. But what caught Mu Cheng's interest was that Martial Arts were prevalent in both cities and villages. As for how strong Martial Arts were, Mu Cheng could only learn by experience in the future.

The two continued to do some idle chat as they were about to arrive at Grandpa Fu's mountain hut.

"Alright, we've arrived. Welcome to my humble abode, feel free to make yourself at home." Grandpa Fu smiled gently at Mu Cheng.

"Thank you, Grandpa Fu. " Mu Cheng nodded his head in response.

"A'Hu, thank you for escorting us home." Grandpa Fu gently caressed the big tiger and said.

"A, A'Hu, thank you." Mu Cheng hesitated a bit, before also giving his thanks, thinking "It'd probably be rude for me to not say anything, and I might befriend him if I continue socializing with A'Hu."

"Funny people expand their social circles and now I do the same with animals." Mu Cheng slightly mocked himself.

As the two had discussed already, it was decided that after a few days of resting and preparing, Grandpa Fu would bring Mu Cheng to Blue Haw village. Because Mu Cheng was afraid he'd really get adopted by any random villagers, Mu Cheng had expressed his reluctance and wanted to stay at the village for a while and get to know the villagers better before thinking about adoption. After all, no one wanted to be adopted to a stranger's family without any understanding of the family.

After persuading Grandpa Fu in a roundabout manner and gotten his understanding, Mu Cheng was finally feeling at ease.

"There's a river a small walk away in that direction, it would do you well to get a cold and nice bath. Being clean and often talking cold bath is healthy for your body." Grandpa Fu pointed and said.

"Yes, I understand. I also feel uncomfortable being covered in mud and dirt all over my body." Mu Cheng couldn't wait to clean his dirty body and smelly body that had not taken a bath in almost a month.

"Here's a towel, and a clean robe for you to wear. And some healing salve for your wounds." Grandpa Fu went into the stone hut and grabbed a few things before handing them over to Mu Cheng.

As Mu Cheng scrubbed himself clean from all the mud and grime in the river, he took a clear view of his water reflection.

"I look pretty ordinary, if not for my jade white supple skin." Mu Cheng muttered, it was normal for nobles to pay great attention to their looks, and Mu Cheng had the perfect means to perfect his looks.

Mu Cheng focused on his golden finger. Moving his mind toward the character customization, he saw various presets of handsome and beautiful appearances the game company had designed for VIP Players in the VR Game.

"Although I can't change my race to the beautiful elves, I can still use the presets from elves. Hm... Good! I can mix a bit with these from elves, oh those handsome contours are amazing, then these, and these..." Mu Cheng muttered and he mixed various presets that were supposed to be only activated after paying an extravagant amount of AP. 

Designing your own looks and saving then as a preset would cost AP as well, Even if it was just an ordinary appearance if it wasn't part of the presets in the list. Although designing your own presets costs less AP, but it was very time consuming and difficult. The game company had especially hired a large team to design to most handsome and beautiful presets for appearances just to milk the VIP Players dry.

Normally, there were a few common appearances presets that were free and lots of beautiful and handsome appearances that cost money to unlock. But since Mu Cheng developed the character customization tool and was in the debugging phase, he naturally had unlocked all the presets available. 

The new appearance Mu Cheng had chosen was mixed with elves, humanoid dragon and human presets. Slightly changing the position of his hair roots, the eyebrows, cheekbones, nose bridge... Finally, an 18-year-old youth appeared in 3D, a handsome, refined, charming and noble appearance, from head to toe, that had reached the epitome of perfection. A single look was enough for anyone to believe he was royal, a child of God. And of course, that was the appearance of an adult. The gaming company would naturally not design such a ridiculous look for a 6-year-old boy.

But, being such a realistic and immersive VR, all characters aged in the game. So naturally, there were ways to turn young again, like paying a sum of AP to turn young or old. Well normally, yes. But since Mu Cheng never finished the tool, it only costed AP for Mu Cheng to increase his age.

Therefore, one's appearance would constantly have small changes as time passed in the game. The character customization had the function to extrapolate one's appearance after turning younger or older because it was a necessity in the game.

"Alright, let's save new preset... fine 20 AP, it's totally worth it. Now extrapolate to 6-year-old. Set. Change!" Looking in satisfaction at the new preset, he saw his remaining AP fall from 169 to 149. Feeling a slight heartache, he continued and after extrapolating his new appearance which will slowly bloom like a flower into that of the preset's appearance at the age of 18, Mu Cheng finally changed to his new appearance.

"This! Change is too big." Mu Cheng compared his former ordinary looks, to his not protagonist like appearance.

The biggest problem was how he was going to explain to Grandpa Fu about the sudden change of his appearance.

"No, he doesn't have a clear look at my actual face. Thank the gods, I was covered in dirt and grime." Mu Cheng suddenly smiled. Jumping out of the river, he wiped himself dry with the towel and quickly put on the robes.

Although the robes did not fit, it was easy to just fold them to turn them shorter. Because the robe was essentially just two long pieces of cloth unlike modern clothes.

Lightly tying the waistband, the robes fit Mu Cheng quite well.

"Well, thanks to my high vitality, the cold water felt rather refreshing than cold." Mu Cheng slightly stretched his hands up high and walked toward Grandpa Fu's hut.

After walking for about 5 minutes, Mu Cheng saw a dark-faced Grandpa Fu crouching on the ground.

"Grandpa Fu, what's wrong?" Mu Cheng asked in concern.

"You- Ah? I think, I think you might be a young master of a certain family. It believe it would be better for us to put on hold about that adoption plan of ours." Grandpa Fu was shocked by Mu Cheng's new appearance and strongly believed Mu Cheng to be a noble's young master. Due to Mu Cheng being covered in mud and grimes, Grandpa Fu did not suspect anything after Mu Cheng come back after taking a bath in the river. Unfortunately, Su Yihan had completely forgotten his past.

"Ah! That's right." As if he just recalled something, Grandpa Fu lightly patted his forehead and said "Little Han, you need to tell me the truth. Did you eat these fruits, berries, and mushrooms?"

Grandpa Fu pointed at the heap of food which was clearly from Mu Cheng's bamboo basket. There were two piles of food, and Grandpa Fu had clearly divided the food into two piles, one which was more colorful than the other. And he was precisely pointing at the more colorful pile of food.

"Ah? What's wrong Grandpa Fu?" Not understanding why Grandpa Fu had suddenly turned so serious, Mu Cheng asked in concern.

But after taking a look at the two piles of food, after relating to Grandpa Fu's knowledge of herbs and regular trips to the mountain and forests. Mu Cheng quickly understood that the more colorful pile of food was naturally poisonous food.

"No, Grandpa Fu, I was running low on food, so I had just picked those up today and planned to eat them when I finished the rest." Mu Cheng said helplessly.

"It's not like I can say, I eat them, but don't worry, I won't die." Mu Cheng ridiculed himself internally.

"Haaa... That's good." Grandpa Fu breathed out in relief.

"This is Red seep berries, which causes internal bleeding. And this is Yellow Mock eggfruit, which causes organ failures. And this... And that..." Grandpa Fu continued to explain all the poisonous food in the pile in a serious manner. As if afraid Mu Cheng would not understand the severity of eating even one of these lethal poisonous food.

"Uh..." Mu Cheng had never bothered identifying the food he gathered ever since he had raised his poison resistance to Greater Poison Resistance. But even he got goosebumps hearing the effects of these poisonous fruits, berries, and mushrooms. In fact, he had been munching on them just a few moments before he met the tiger A'Hu.

"This old man is really kind." Mu Cheng felt warm from Grandpa Fu's concern.

"I happen to need an assistant, little Han, you could take this chance to learn more about herbs." Grandpa Fu suddenly said, and taking a moment to think, he continued "And I'll need a while to complete my preparations, so we'll leave for Blue Haw Village in a month. I'm sure you'll look forward to this trip."

"Of course, I'd be glad to help you out, Grandpa Fu." Mu Cheng said with a smile, while he said internally "Ugh. Who're you trying to trick, you took a while to calculate the time needed for me to remember most of the dangerous and harmful plants, right?"

"I thought we'd be leaving for the Blue Haw Village in a weeks time!" Mu Cheng lamented inwardly, not knowing whether to laugh or cry, he didn't really need to learn all of these things as he could just identify them with his golden finger. Not to mention, with his poison resistance, he did not need to worry at all even if he didn't identify what he ate.

5