Chapter 11: To Steal A Sword
18 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harbor bells tolled as Ashley and his devilish party strolled into the portside town of Winderwood. The smell of freshly chopped lumber filled the air. From the town’s main road, the dip in the horizon where the port laid could be seen plain as day; sparkling waters stretching forever beyond its line of ships and tugs. Contrasting quite hilariously with the civil sight of a prospering town, right at the main gates, a couple of street thugs rolled in the dirt beside a pub, scrapping till teeth fell from gums.

 

“Wow, what a town.” the dark cleric commented, sounding less impressed than he actually was.

 

“Hey! This kind of reminds me of Windport from Skies Till Forever!” Rose admired the traffic cluttering the stony brick roads of the busy little town. “Commerce, trade; hard-working self-made men and women- This is just like Windport, right Ash?!”

 

“Mhmm.” Ash agreed.

 

Their first contact with civilization in the fantastical realm of OtherWorld; a town ripped straight from any run-of-the-mill RPG. Ash could already guess what the locale was known for right off the top of his head. 

 

“Wouldn’t you rather I give you the tour~”

 

Luci, that illustrious Demon, who hailed from such a fantasy, finally awoke from her usual post-control nap. 

 

“Knock yourself out if you want to.”

 

Ash loved lore in his RPGs, that much he already made clear. Any opportunity he was blessed with to glean valuable information from the lazy-groaning Demon, he took. 

 

Matching pace with Rose, who was already aiming to lose herself in the hustle and bustle of the horse-drawn carriages and convoys, Ash opened his ears to Tour Guide Luci.

 

The Devil cleared her throat, ready to educate the ignorant and flaunt her worldly knowledge. “Winderwood first began as a small gathering of lumberjacks, looking to make a living harvesting the highly sought-after wood of the Winder Tree- Known for its glossy sheen and adhesive sap. Sprouting from that community of tents and men, a town was soon born; one that excelled in the export of the aforementioned wood, as well as a host of wood based products. Nowadays, Winderwood thrives as one of the busiest ports in all of Edyn, leading in trades to-and-from the Mainland, hosting one of the best builder’s guilds in all the kingdom, and being home to the ever-popular performing troupe-Fish Out Of Water.”

 

“Fish Out Of Water?” Ash parroted, “That’s a good album name. Are they good?”

 

“I’ve ALWAYS longed to see them as a little girl~ Alas, I was never granted the opportunity…”

 

“Tragic. Why not just go now? Aren’t you ‘The Revered Demon’ and all that?”

 

Luci smacked her teeth, showing that brattier side, yet again. “That’s precisely the reason why I CAN’T go now! I think you fail to grasp just how vile my crimes against the realm are.”

 

“Not like you ever told me. But I don’t really want to know all that anyways. Ignorance is bliss, the less I know right now, the better.”

 

Not only was ignorance bliss- It was optimal. Ash, being a newcomer to the world, had an advantage which simultaneously extended to Luci: No one knew who he was. He held not identity nor history in the magnificent world, automatically putting him under the radar for any investigative eyes. Understanding this fact was crucial for utilizing every point in stealth he possessed. Being a master of the mask, the ability to morph into any character to fit his current needs or desires was his best weapon; especially since he was wielding magic so low-leveled.

 

Another fortunate for the Demon, this advantage also carried over into areas outside of the Main Quest. “We’ll try and see them at some point.” he assured his dark other-half, “Since I’m your vessel and you’re basically dead to the world, no one would be the wiser. I can take you to go see a show. Easy.”

 

“...would you really do something so far off the track…?” Luci asked, not expecting such a promise to leave the lips of her reflected twin.

 

“No harm in it; side quests can be fun.”

 

The Devil didn’t know what to say to such a selfless offer; especially coming from one so notoriously selfish. It was new, to hear something said solely for her own regard and nothing more. Surely it was just another one of the young man’s numerous manipulation tactics- Mind games she had a front row seat to in her brief time within him on the Flipside. Still…

 

“It would be fun, I can assure you…I always told my parents so, but…Well, they never even so much as offered to take me one day…”

 

“You had parents?” Ash inquired, a question he felt wasn’t completely unwarranted, considering the Devil was an Angel that fell to earth. He was rightfully baffled to learn the existence of “parents” in the story.

 

“I was adopted.” Luci said, rather matter of factly, as if the very revelation brought her great discomfort.

 

“Really? Was that afte-”

 

“Hey, Ash! I see a blacksmith down the road!” Rose announced, interrupting the moment and setting the plot back on track.

 

It had nearly slipped the devilish company’s collective mind- The reason they were even in Winderwood in the first place, was to acquire a sword for Rose- The currently defenseless knight, with not so much as even a stick equipped to her name.

 

The blacksmith, Herald- his name said on the sign, owned a humble little open stand with a cleared out storage unit behind it, housing his equipment and several other pieces of weaponry not on display.

 

The party scanned the scene before making their move. There was only one thing, one glaring issue, preventing them from simply strolling up and being good paying customers.

 

They were broke.

 

“That one looks really cool! The one with the black scabbard!” Rose pointed to a charcoal-black longsword encased in a gold trimmed scabbard; the golden trims weaving down the sheathe in a wave-like pattern, almost giving it a “royal” appeal.

 

“Alright. How’re we gonna get it?” Ash asked.

 

Rose shrugged, smiling stupidly, without so much as an attempt at a thought swirling in her coronas. “You’re the plan guy! Plan it up like you always do~”

 

Helpful. Always up to him to do the heavy lifting before a session; whether it be a boss raid or a dungeon crawl, responsibility fell solely on Ash in the planning department. Truthfully, he wouldn’t have it any other way. But Rose was wrong if she believed her part would start and stop at simply picking the sword. No, she was going to be put to work; really earn it.

 

“Go up and flirt with the blacksmith.” Ash commanded, simple is as simple was.

 

Rose considered the idea. “You won’t get jealous, will you~”

 

… “No.”

 

“Okie~ Lemme fix my hair!” Rose ran her fingers through her curly locks, glistening with such pristine beauty in the seaside Sun. It was time to turn on the charm.

 

Ash watched from an indiscernible distance as Rose pranced to the blacksmith’s stand. 

 

At first, the engagement seemed to be going rather smoothly. Rose leaned over the counter, really using her pretty brown eyes to open a few doors for herself. However, it soon became awkwardly apparent the blacksmith wasn’t interested. It became even more awkward when Rose continued to persist, becoming visibly worked up from the man’s constant rejection. Eventually, voices rose to the point where Ash could hear them from his vantage point. God damn it, Rose.

 

“I bet it’s because she’s, oh how do I say this, ‘unendowed’.” Luci claimed, rather villainously.

 

“Some guys like small breasts.” Ash tried his best to defend his friend’s honor, but it was all too clear the cruel world disagreed- OtherWorld, at least.  

 

Saving what little dignity she had left, Rose shuffled back to her party; defeat hanging in her eyes, glistening pools of embarrassment and rejection.

 

“Don’t look so hurt, Rose. It wasn’t actual flirting, remember?” Ash found it silly he even needed to cheer the young woman up from such a faux loss. 

 

Rose sniffled, surely just her allergies; definitely not on the actual verge of tears. How ridiculous would that be? “Ash…I’m pretty…right?”

 

“Oh brother…”

 

“You know what?!'' suddenly, fury scrunched the tip of the defeated girl’s nose; a snarl like a vicious bulldog, ready to free from its chains and bite, “Fuck all this- Let’s just steal it!!!”

 

“Yeah, let’s just do that.” Ash agreed.

 

“Really?!” Rose exclaimed, not expecting an easy yes to her emotional outburst.

 

“Yeah,” Ash continued, “Then let’s go ahead and get on our knees after. We should put our hands behind our backs while we’re at it. Even better: Let’s steal some chains to clasp ourselves in too.”

 

Rose got the message. “You didn’t have to drag that one out for so long…” she pouted.

 

“Actually, stealing it might be our best and only bet. We aren’t exactly swimming in funds, you know.”

 

“I know.” Ash responded, visibly talking to himself, just like he feared when he first began conversing with his inner Demon, “But we can’t just walk up and steal it in broad daylight. Look at how many people are around.”

 

The streets were crowded; actually, crowded would be an understatement, they were damn near unusable with all the traffic. A getaway would be impossible, let alone a quiet robbery.

 

“Winderwood’s shops lock up at night. And there’s night patrol so good luck getting in. Daytime is when the place is at its most chaotic and least guarded. There won’t be a better time than now.”

 

Ash rotated his gears to formulate a plan. Stealing in broad daylight was suicide, without a doubt. And with the roads packed like canned sardines, trying to outrun the giant at the stand, unlikely. But, maybe there could be a way to make use of the chaos in the streets?

…….

Cutscenes always happened for a reason; a little bit of foreshadowing or exposition before it became relevant to the story. Standing before the pub by the main gates, Ash reveled in his attention to detail.

 

“Remember those two goons we saw boxing by here when we came in?” he asked Luci, feeling quite proud of himself.

 

“What do I look like remembering such a throwaway detail!?” she defended.

 

“Just watch a master at work, oh ‘All-Feared Demon’~”

 

Ash grabbed hold of Rose’s hand, “Stay close to me while we’re in here. My creep-radar is spiking.”

 

The stench of rum and vodka; bad breath and sweat build-up, it was enough to make even the strongest of men wretch. Luckily, Ash wasn’t a man- He was a corpse, with the Devil inside him, and right now, he was about to use both points to his advantage; just as he always did.

 

He who can master the mask, will be human.

 

Such a script has never failed him before. Even in this land of magic and Gods, such truths still held strong. Different world, same game. It was all just one big game.

 

The corpse led the enamored girl by the hand, her mind instantly distracted by the festivities in the air.

 

Knife games, poker tables, serenades; one big circus for drunkards and piss-bellies.

 

All he needed, was to find the drunkest, rowdiest, most-fucked up table he could, and his victory would be sealed.

 

“Hey! Look at the two dames that just walked in!” some old bastard or another howled at the party, “Hubba-hubba!”

 

“Ey! The one with the long hair is my kinda woman! Hey baby! How’s about a drink?!” another horny patron roared.

 

“Personally, I like the one with the freckles!”

 

Ash furrowed his brow, perplexed, confused, and down-right uneasy. “Wait…” he said, pulling Rose in close, “Do they think I’m a girl?”

 

Rose tilted her hand, as if to say “Eh, 50-50”.

 

“Your face is looking a bit more feminine these days.” she added, “Specially with that new do you’re rocking. Something about it just screams ‘peg me!’.”

 

“Knock it off, Rose- This is freaking me out.”

 

“Welcome to the feminine side, my friend~”

 

A world of catcalls and unwanted advances- Oh the newfound empathy. Only five seconds experiencing such a sick mode of existence, and Ash was ready to raze the pub to the ground.

 

But then, a devious deception entered his mind. He pulled Rose in even closer, whispering his dark plans into her ear.

 

“Ok! Yeah, I can do that! Just leave it all to me!”

 

…….

Rose led Ash to the table of her choosing. After a bit of banter and buttering the guys up, she felt the stage was set to initiate phase two of the plan.

 

The men the temptress sought to deceive seemed about as drunk as an old sailor stranded at sea with nothing but rum in his haul. They were delirious, they were discombobulated, and they were ripe for deception.

 

“Guys~ This is my friend, Ashley- The one I was telling you all about! Say hi, Ashley!”

 

Ashley raised “her” hand, timid and reserved, blushing from embarrassment.

 

“She’s a little shy! I told her about you guys and she said she wanted to meet you! Especially you, Rex~

 

Rex, Tivon, Ramen, and Montigue; the lucky suckers of the evening. Drive a wedge between them; that’s what Rose was instructed to do when she felt ready to present Ashley to the group.

 

“The pleasure’s all mine, lovely~” Rex winked, the drunk slurring his words without care. 

 

The special attention seemed to make Tivon and Ramen a little jealous. Tivon even spoke up while Rex was too busy sucking more dreams down his throat. “What kinda drinks you like, love? My treat!”

 

“Mr.’Big Spender’ over here…” Ramen mocked, “I wouldn’t trust this broken bastard to be able to afford any of the good stuff, darlin’! Tell me what ya want, I’ll have it over in a jiffy!”

 

“What about you, Rose?” Montigue asked, the only man at the table who presented a very obvious crush towards the curly haired dame, “You haven’t had your fill yet, have you?”

 

Rose held up her hands, bashfully declining. “Oh, I couldn’t possibly drink another, ehehe! I become a mess when I’m drunk! Tipsy brain and all that- I just completely lose all control, you know!”

 

The next step of phase two: Capitalize on the local lust. Get them thinking they have a chance at sleeping with you. Make them desperate, make them want it, make them crave it. Get the fire started.

 

“Aye, ain’t no room for sense tonight, wahaha!” Rex howled, “Go ahead and order us another round, Monti! Let’s show our two new guests here how we like to party!”

 

The final step in phase two: Just play the part until the signal is given. Then, follow my lead.

 

…….

The Sun was beginning to dip into the orange horizon. A party of six drunken menaces stumbled down the main road; the boulevard being a bit more clear then when the two women leading the group were on it earlier.

 

Ash mimicked his best tipsy shuffle, leaning against Rose and feigning gossipy whispers into her ear.

 

Play the part of the cute, shy friend. Those were the cues he gave himself, and, frankly, he felt he was doing a damn fine job. He could just feel the eyes behind him, undressing him from his cloak, wanting to take a gander at the hidden world beneath. Unfortunate souls, not knowing that only Hell lies beneath the cover.

 

With the blacksmith’s stand growing closer, Ashley’s feigned whispers grew real as he relayed the final steps of the plan to Rose.

 

Ready to execute, the girl twirled around to face her legion of drunk little puppies.

 

“You guys *hic* Thank you guys so much for all the drinks! I feel GREAT! And, I feel like…”

 

Rose waited until the convoy stood smack-dab in front of the blacksmith’s shop; the man himself, Herald, watching the display in slight annoyance and confusion.

 

The time was now. Rose always believed in Ash’s plans, because they always worked. And they only worked, because she put her full faith in him. Whether it was using a specific build against a boss, or charging a dungeon with certain timing, she always obeyed blindly.

 

It was why they were so unstoppable. It was why the sky seemed the limit and the world held no challenge. 

 

Seeing her moment, Rose put everything she had into her performance. She thrusted her tiny body against Rex, the massive man nearly stumbling from the sudden approach.

 

I’d like to pay you guys back, somehow~” The vile succubus rubbed her finger down Rex’s chest. She made sure the other guys could see it; their envy would be essential. She could only hope for the seeds she sowed to sprout as she intended.

 

“Oi, now wait just a secon” Monti spat, the alcohol in his breath coating his every word, “I was the one who paid for most of those drinks, it should be me who you wanna repay!”

 

“Now hold on just a blood-sucking minute!” Ramen stepped in, closing the gap between him and his friends, “Who was the one who bought the real expensive stuff, huh?! Oh right, that was me!”

 

“Oh piss off you bloody hypocrite!” Tivon sniped, “Now who’s the ‘big-spender’ now, eh?!”

 

“Definitely not you, you roach!” Ramen replied.

 

“Oi now- Both of you money-sucking bastards need to recognize just who funds these little gatherings, ye?!” Monti returned to the fray. 

 

Rose removed herself from Rex’s hold, pretending to be frightened by the sudden debacle. 

 

Seeing his opportunity for a little young-coitus slipping away on account of his party’s tom-foolery, Rex entered the battle, determined to tell his friends off.

 

The argument only escalated the further the Sun dipped below the flame-stained horizon. 

 

Sensing tension in the air, Herald the blacksmith stepped in to defend the sanctity of his business.

 

“Hey! Hey! Guys! Not in front of the shop, alright- Take it somewhere else!”

 

“Buzz off, pinhead!” Ramen spat.

 

“Yeah, this don’t concern you none!” Tivon supported.

 

“It’ll concern me when I get the knights to come in and break this damn thing up- Now I said TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!”

 

As the chaos ramped up, Ashley held Rose like a scared little schoolgirl, giving her the signal to get into position. Wasting no time, the young woman sprinted around the side of the shop, and emerged peeking from the opposite side’s corner; right beside her crown prize, just within snatching distance. All she needed do, was wait for the final push.

 

Ashley smirked; he couldn’t help but do so. As he watched a chaos of his own design unfold: Four men at each other’s throats, a shopkeeper who once held all the power reduced to just another pawn in his game; laying his eyes on the influence he held in such a world, the young man felt like he finally arrived.

 

With all the daint of a timid, weak, scared teenage girl, Ashley tip-toed his way to the fuming cluster of testosterone and bull-horn rage. One bump, a simple “trip” into Rex, forcing his dizzy, massive, tank of a body into the stanky breath of his dear friend, Monti, and their fates were sealed.

 

He won.

 

Without missing a beat, Monti shoved the mighty titan away from him. “Oi! Get the fuck off of me you fuckin’ leech!” To which Rex retaliated, unproportionally so, with a powerful slug to the man’s jaw.

 

And Chaos won out.

 

The brawl quickly escalated to include all men involved, including Herald, who bounded over his countertop like he was aiming for the Olympic gold medal. Attempting to break up the four-way brawl, the poor honest businessman found himself on the receiving end of quite a few devastating blows. It was a masterpiece.

 

“How delightfully devilish~” Luci swooned, she too taking great pride in the display of power.

 

“That’s just one of the many ways to cause a distraction.” Ash smiled to himself,  “I hope you were taking notes~”

 

Luci laughed to herself, as did that self outside of herself- Two Demons taking a perverse and sick pleasure in the disorder from their wake. A feeling of control; a feeling of belonging. It was as if the whole world, was singing.

 

…….

Rose cradled her new sword with stars beaming in her eyes. 

 

“Do you like it?” Ash asked her, the two back on the dusty trail once again, fleeing from the mess they made in the respectable town of Winderwood.

 

“I love it!!” Rose hilted the awesome blade to its rightful place upon her being.

 

“I always make sure my party members are equipped with the best stuff.”

 

Rose grabbed hold of Ash’s hand, locking her soft fingers with his. “I’d like to pay you back~” she teased.

 

“That won’t be necessary.”

 

“Not even a hug!”

 

“We have to keep moving, Rose.”

 

Rose turned her vision to the barren grassfields around them. “And where exactly do we have to ‘keep moving’ to?”

 

A good question. “Luci?” Ash asked himself, “Now that we have the sword, what’s our next move?”

 

The Demon thought long and hard about what her next move should be. No doubt the King’s forces were already scrambling to find her. She would need to keep up with their movements if she wanted to win the run. The Queen of Edyn was a powerful opponent, and an unfortunate enemy. Of course, there was also the Global Alliance. And then that cursed Golden Knight; Luci held her reservations regarding her survival, but she didn’t have the liberty of ruling anything out. With all this in mind, there were two things she needed to do; one being more important than a simple move of power.

 

“I want to see if there remains anything of my army- The Dark Children. We…We have a base of operation in Neilton- Southeast of here, up Wyrm Way. It’ll be quite the trek, but…it’s essential I see if any of them survived the battle…”

 

“And you’re confident they would be waiting there for you to come find them?” Ash asked, housing his doubts.

 

“...they don’t have any other choice…I’m sure of it…”

 

Well, it was her quest, afterall. Though he wasn’t fully on board with the thought of any remaining army camping in some dingy old base, Ash resigned himself to setting the waypoint.

 

“Just lead the way,” He said with Rose in hand, “And I’ll get us there.” 

1