Chapter 4: Let’s Do It
557 2 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ai cried until she was exhausted and fell asleep in Minoru's lap until morning.

"What a cute creature," thought Minoru as he woke up and gazed at Ai sleeping on his lap, covered with a blanket.

Throughout the night, he had offered his lap as a pillow for Ai, and he had slept in that position. Surprisingly, he felt well-rested, as if some force of cuteness had helped him sleep soundly.

This was particularly heartwarming for Minoru, who usually couldn't live a normal life due to his circumstances. However, he was accustomed to sleeping alone, waking up early, and sleeping little.

Gently moving Ai's head from his lap, he started his morning exercise routine outside the apartment.

The clock struck six, and Ai stirred awake, rubbing her eyes.

"Uwaa~ what time is it?" she murmured, considering more sleep.

Her eyes scanned the room, but Minoru was nowhere to be found.

"Hmm, he's already up? He must have been uncomfortable with me using his lap," Ai thought, a pang of guilt settling in her chest.

As sadness clouded her thoughts, she wandered around and eventually found herself at the front door, looking for Minoru's shoes.

"Ahh..." Ai let out a disappointed sigh when she didn't see his shoes there.

"Why did I expect him to be here with me after everything he endured for me?" She realized that it might have been too much to hope for, given that he had injured his hand to protect her.

Ai recognized that Minoru had essentially saved her life.

Though she didn't fully comprehend the concept of love, having never experienced it during her childhood, she felt warmth in her chest after reuniting with him. It was as if the weight on her shoulders had disappeared overnight. She thought this might be what it felt like to lean on someone she trusted.

However, there was a painful, twisting sensation in her chest as she considered that his absence might mean he had left her.

The conflicting emotions within her chest were painful.

On one hand, she had started allowing herself to lean on Minoru, to trust him, and to feel a connection she hadn't known before. Thus, she felt a sharp ache at the absence of his shoes, fearing that he might have left for good.

"How cruel... after saying 'you can lean on me.' Haaaa~" Ai's eyes darkened as she returned inside, feeling her mouth parched and the need for water after her worrying thoughts upon waking up.

Just then, she heard a clicking sound from the door, causing her to quickly glance back.

Her eyes widened, and a sparkling expression of relief and happiness washed over her as she saw that it was Minoru.

"Ah... you're awake, Ai," he greeted, walking in after his morning routine, dressed in workout clothes and covered in sweat.

Minoru was taken aback to find her standing there for a while, a hint of concern evident on her face.

"I thought you didn't bring any suitcases with you." Ai puzzled.

"Ah, I left them in my car."

Ai pouted at him, looking at his sweaty appearance.

"Where are you going?" she asked, feeling a bit foolish for having momentarily thought that he had left her again, her cheeks turning rosy with embarrassment.

Minoru grinned at her, finding her adorable. Though, he could read her emotions from her expression.

"I was just jogging around the neighborhood and made a quick stop at the market," he explained, showing her a plastic bag. "Did you think I'd disappear and never come back? That hurt, you know," he teased, adding a playful smirk.

Ai's embarrassment was evident as she trembled, her lips forming a bigger pout.

"Wait, I was just joking," Minoru quickly reassured her, removing his running shoes and patting her head.

Being herself, Ai made a silly face.

"Hehe~ I was just joking too~" she said, offering a bright smile and winking.

"Cut it out with the silly face, or I won't make you breakfast," his playful banter lightens the mood.

"But you stayed over at my place, and it's time to settle your debt, Minoru-kun."

"Keep in mind, my cooking is on par with a five-star hotel. You might get addicted."

"In that case, let me be the judge! Now~ start cooking already."

Ai walked ahead, trying to hide her happiness, as she had been mistaken in thinking that Minoru had left without a word. But, her earlier assumptions were understandable, considering her history of abandonment in orphanages.

'Hm... I've never had a homemade breakfast before since I'm terrible at cooking. This might be interesting,' Ai thought, eagerly anticipating Minoru's cooking.

Minoru's lips curled into a satisfied smirk, a rare display of pride.

"Guess I won't be having breakfast alone," he muttered, a sense of achievement coloring his tone.

In the past, he had always cooked for himself, wary of entrusting his meals to anyone else. The memory of a near-fatal encounter with poison during his training camp days had left him deeply cautious. That camp had shaped him into the man he was now.

As for his culinary skills, they had been acquired for a mission that demanded infiltrating a renowned restaurant to eliminate an American Congressman through poisoned food. Considering the formidable security around American Congressmen, this method had been his strategic choice.

A wry smile crossed Minoru's face as he considered the irony of his culinary abilities now being put to good use.

Wearing an apron, he organized ingredients in Ai's compact kitchen, preparing breakfast.

On the other side of the room, Ai relaxed at the dining table, her gaze fixed on Minoru's culinary exploits.

A soft smile played on her lips.

"Hmm~ I'm quite enjoying this," she admitted, finding pleasure in watching him prepare breakfast for her and their children.

Suddenly, a thought struck her, and she exclaimed, "Oh! I almost forgot the kids might still be sleeping. Should I wake them?" she muttered aloud.

As her words reached across the room, Minoru, engrossed in chopping, caught her question.

"Thinking of waking them up?" he asked, multitasking between cooking and conversation.

The realm of parenting was relatively uncharted territory for Ai, and she responded in kind, seeking his insight.

"What do you think?"

"Let's hold off for now. Food's not ready," Minoru advised, his practicality guiding the situation.

Ai's mouth formed an 'O' of comprehension, and she nodded, silently absorbing the parenting lesson.

"Gotcha~," she responded cheerfully.

Taking advantage of the moment, Minoru broached the subject of Ai's job. "How's work going?" he inquired.

"I'd say it's smooth sailing... My follower count crossed the million mark too. Why do you ask?" Ai replied.

"Just thought if you wanted to take it easy, you could. I'll be taking on more responsibility now," Minoru assured, his intentions sincere.

Minoru was determined that his involvement in their lives wouldn't be solely financial. He was skeptical, considering his job and Ai's busy schedule as she was committed to her career. Thus, the idea of cohabiting emerged to fix those flaws.

"Does that mean... um~ we're looking at sharing a roof?" Ai asked playfully.

"Yes, but it's your call. If you're not comfortable, feel free to decline," Minoru responded, valuing her autonomy.

Ai's reply was swift and resolute.

"Let's do it."

"Eh? Whaa?"

Her readiness took Minoru aback.

"Surprised?" she teased a spark of amusement in her eyes.

"I'm more shocked you agreed so quickly. I half-expected you to need some time, especially after being apart for four years," Minoru admitted.

For Ai, it was simpler and more heartfelt.

'It's hard to put into words, but I like having Minoru around,' she thought, a faint blush tinting her cheeks.

This vulnerable side of her rarely surfaced, as she often masked it with her cheerful demeanor.

"Okay then," Minoru replied, still processing the unexpected response.

"Surprising you is fun, hmm~" Ai teased.

"It's not every day someone agrees on the spot. I thought you might hold some resentment for my absence," Minoru confessed.

"Hmm~ I'm not mad because I wanted a child too. Instead, you just jumped in and believed me if they were our children."

"Well, I did have a question about it, but there's no reason for you to have called me if they're not my children. You also risked your career by reaching out to me about the twins. Aren't you afraid... that I might refuse to acknowledge them as my children and then tell the media about it?"

There's a reason why he was not asked about this because Minoru didn't want to sound like a coward saying, 'Is this really my kids?' Nah, it sounds like he didn't want to take responsibility and ignored Ai's courage in telling him about the situation.

Of course, he'll do a DNA test after he gets their hair to make sure that they are his children. But, he was sure after he saw Aqua, who is similar to him with his silver hair.

Ai acknowledged the need for caution.

"You're right, Minoru-kun. Then, I'll be more careful. Hehe~"

"Good. Now c'mere and taste this miso," Minoru invited, his confidence in the dish apparent.

With enthusiasm, Ai approached, and Minoru offered her a spoonful of the broth.

"Mmm~ It's delicious! Maybe you weren't exaggerating," She exclaimed, her eyes lighting up with satisfaction, as this marked her first taste of a freshly cooked breakfast.

Curiosity piqued Minoru.

"Hold on, I'm curious. What have you been eating for breakfast all this time?"

Ai's response was candid.

"Simple stuff, like tamago kake gohan, or I'd grab something from the convenience store."

Her words struck a chord with Minoru.

Worries about his children's nutrition had crossed his mind, and his decision to share a home was gradually becoming more logical... no, it's a must! He thought internally.

But much to their obliviousness, Aqua's widened eyes were practically glued to the scene unfolding through the door's narrow gap.

'Eh...?' Aqua's face seemed to say, what the heck is going on?

His eyebrows skyrocketed in wonder, his expression a comical blend of confusion and shock, as he watched Minoru and Ai share a sweet moment, like a newly married couple.

25